Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Sounds like Michael Dyer...

Started by RazorbackJoe, July 11, 2008, 10:35:59 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

notreseveredname

commitments mean nothing to me. There is only signed or not signed, if the signed is with-in the binding period (Matt Marshall).  Then you worry about clearing house stuff.

swinesation

RD just hasn't gotten over the worst thumpin in years that Dyer and LRCA put on Greenwood during the regular season last year. Greenwood came back and won the state championship, but on that night they were completely stunned and humiliated. It was beautiful to see a little private school with half the enrollment and half the football players put the beatdown on the mighty Greenwood.

JoePaul03

Quote from: swinesation on July 19, 2008, 01:44:57 am
RD just hasn't gotten over the worst thumpin in years that Dyer and LRCA put on Greenwood during the regular season last year. Greenwood came back and won the state championship, but on that night they were completely stunned and humiliated. It was beautiful to see a little private school with half the enrollment and half the football players put the beatdown on the mighty Greenwood.

Yeah, it was also nice for Greenwood's kids to hear LRC's kids celebrate and talk crap about Greenwood's team in their locker room after the game, thus giving them all the motivation they needed to pound LRC in the state title game. Sure, it was "only" 27-6, but it could have and should have been much worse.

I don't know RD personally, never met him, but if he is a Greenwood homer like everyone says, I'm sure the Bulldogs winning their third state title was all he needed to "get over" the regular season LRC game.

On Dyer...I saw him a couple of times last year and I thought he was OK. It's hard to tell because other teams focus on him so much. Who knows how much he'd be able to do if every opponent's entire defensive plan wasn't geared towards stopping him? From what I saw of both of them though......Give me DeAnthony Curtis any day.
WCOB, 2003

tconey1

Quote from: 1longshot on July 14, 2008, 06:39:55 pm
i don't believe the tonal structure of his statement was either negative or postitive about the current recruit he just stated that the listed and the mentioned were not close i believe dyer needs to learn quickly what it means to play to the whistle if he does that he could exceed either of the mentioned till then he couldn't touch either

(note my statement refers to the tendency to coast the final 15-20 yards)
I cannot believe you would say that about coasting. I have watched Dyer since my son played with him in the sixth grade. I have not once seen him "coast". He is the hardest running football player I have ever seen. He absolutely refuses to be tackled. Judging by your statement, I would guess that you have never seen him play.

VenturaHog

Quote from: JoePaul03 on July 19, 2008, 03:10:10 am
On Dyer...I saw him a couple of times last year and I thought he was OK. It's hard to tell because other teams focus on him so much. Who knows how much he'd be able to do if every opponent's entire defensive plan wasn't geared towards stopping him? From what I saw of both of them though......Give me DeAnthony Curtis any day.
Have you seen the ammount of yards he put up as a SOPHMORE? Have you watched his hilight video's? DC curtis is great, but get real.

The Galloping Ghost

Michael has the build, speed, mentality, skill-sets, and guidance to be one of the most highly recruited players in the nation for the class of 2010. I hope home-state smack talk and rhetoric do not influence him negatively about his decision. After getting to know him, and watching him play I would much rather have him for us than against us.
"The only football players in my time were fellows who really loved to play football. They were not in it for the money. There wasn't much money there. They would have played football for nothing."

rightdp

Quote from: Tammany Tom on July 13, 2008, 08:54:21 pm
I've been following recruiting for a long time. While it seems that a lot of prospects change their mind after commiting, in reality very few actually do. Around 90% of all prospects sign with the team that they originally commit to.

Are you kidding me??  I would love to know how you came up with that one....  Did you know that 89.4% of all percentage stats are made up on the spot.

Hawgballz

Quote from: rightdp on July 20, 2008, 12:16:33 am
Are you kidding me??  I would love to know how you came up with that one....  Did you know that 89.4% of all percentage stats are made up on the spot.

No, he is correct.  By far the majority (I am guessing more than 90%) sign with the team they commit to.
Players Win Games And Winning Brings Players!

rightdp

Quote from: Hawgballz on July 20, 2008, 11:37:55 am
No, he is correct.  By far the majority (I am guessing more than 90%) sign with the team they commit to.

Oh, well, since YOU said it, it HAS to be correct.  First of all, read my post again.  I never disagreed with him.  I simply said I'd love to know where he got his info.  Same goes for you.  It just blows my mind how many people here state things as facts when they are nothing more than assumptions.  But what really got me was the 90% thing.  It was simply made up.

The Hog

Quote from: rightdp on July 20, 2008, 03:07:50 pm
Oh, well, since YOU said it, it HAS to be correct.  First of all, read my post again.  I never disagreed with him.  I simply said I'd love to know where he got his info.  Same goes for you.  It just blows my mind how many people here state things as facts when they are nothing more than assumptions.  But what really got me was the 90% thing.  It was simply made up.
Many poster on this board use blogs as facts.  Any body can start their own blog and put out all kinds of factless info.  I would like to know the actual numbers versus someones opinion or at best a guess.
Automatic RUN!

Hawgballz

Quote from: rightdp on July 20, 2008, 03:07:50 pm

Another poster on here did the research on Rivals (when DW decommitted) for the 2008 signing class and the number of recruits who committed for the 2008 class and then decommitted was 236 (if I remember correctly) and some of those (8, I believe) still ended up signing with the school they originally committed to.  I believe there is right at 120 D1 schools and most signed just over the 25 man limit (for incoming freshmen), so that would figure to about 3,000 kids signed (assuming an average of 25 signees) and I don't have a calulator handy but I am sure that 236 is less than 10% of 3,000 (300 would be 10%).  Does that answer you question as to where the percentage came from.  The longer you stay on the site the more you will figure out on who posts factually based stuff and who just posts out of their a$$.
Players Win Games And Winning Brings Players!

GuvHog

Quote from: southeasthog on July 13, 2008, 07:56:22 pm
If Mallet has a big Sophmore year, there is a good chance he would enter the draft is what 870 RZR is saying.

Won't happen. The NFL does not allow a college player to enter the draft untill after their
JUNIOR year.
Bleeding Razorback Red Since Birth!!!

Brewerfan10

No as long as they are out of high school those three years they can enter

JoePaul03

Quote from: GUVHOG on July 20, 2008, 11:23:51 pm

Won't happen. The NFL does not allow a college player to enter the draft untill after their
JUNIOR year.

Not exactly...It doesn't have to after your junior year per se; you just have to be out of high school for three years. If you have a redshirt frosh or sophomore year, that counts as one of the three. For example, I think Vick left VT after his redshirt sophomore year.
WCOB, 2003

mclyte

The most recent off the top of my head is Sidney Rice of South Carolina.  He went out as a RS Sophomore.

navyhog24

The NFL only requires you to be 3 years out of high school to be eligible for the draft.

southeasthog

Quote from: JoePaul03 on July 20, 2008, 11:30:10 pm
Not exactly...It doesn't have to after your junior year per se; you just have to be out of high school for three years. If you have a redshirt frosh or sophomore year, that counts as one of the three. For example, I think Vick left VT after his redshirt sophomore year.
Correct. Three years removed from high school. Which would be after Mallets sophmore year here. Doesn't mean I think he would. He would have that choice however.

Rebel64

Quote from: GUVHOG on July 20, 2008, 11:23:51 pm

JUNIOR year.

I think it is 3 years out of High school.  If they redshirt it could be after sophmore year.

1longshot

Quote from: tconey1 on July 19, 2008, 09:12:52 am
                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                          I cannot believe you would say that about coasting. I have watched Dyer since my son played with him in the sixth grade. I have not once seen him "coast". He is the hardest running football player I have ever seen. He absolutely refuses to be tackled. Judging by your statement, I would guess that you have never seen him play.

i've seen him three times once two years ago at greenwood i believe and then twice last year once in the regular season once at war memorial

swinesation

Is it obvious that there are three guys in this thread who do not think highly of Dyer and all three of them are Greenwood fans? I'm telling you, don't listen to them. They have a superiority complex.

Bubba's Bruisers

Quote from: Rebel64 on July 22, 2008, 09:45:27 am
I think it is 3 years out of High school.  If they redshirt it could be after sophmore year.

Correct.
I will put enmity between you and the woman, and between your offspring and her offspring; he shall bruise your head, and you shall bruise his heal.

Genesis 3:15

Wingo Hog

The Boar War

July 22, 2008, 03:06:16 pm #72 Last Edit: July 22, 2008, 04:24:02 pm by The Boar War
Quote from: 1longshot on July 14, 2008, 06:39:55 pm
i believe dyer needs to learn quickly what it means to play to the whistle if he does that he could exceed either of the mentioned till then he couldn't touch either

(note my statement refers to the tendency to coast the final 15-20 yards)

Does playing to the whistle include being slung off the ground by his shoulder pads only to land on his feet and fighting through a bunch of leg tackles to score a touchdown?  I saw him do both in one game.  Also if a running back is able to coast into the endzone why wouldn't he?  Sounds like the real problem is with the defense.

JoePaul03

July 24, 2008, 01:18:18 am #73 Last Edit: July 24, 2008, 01:20:16 am by JoePaul03
I'm a Greenwood fan, so I guess maybe I saw Dyer just have an off game in WMS. I just know that the week before the Bulldogs beat LRCA for the title, they played CF at Camden...and on a Fairview team full of guys who will or are playing college football, many of them at the Division I level, Curtis stood out as being their best offensive player. He was very impressive. That was the reason I made the comment about "give me DeAnthony Curtis any day."
Dyer is talented, I'm not denying that; I just don't think he's as good as some other guys in the state have been over the past few years. In the state title game, he didn't bring it. He started out the game (before the opening kickoff) pointing to himself and generally trying to draw attention his way, and as the game wore on and his team was obviously going to lose, he visibly quit on some plays, especially ones where he didn't get the ball, and he stopped hustling back to the huddle/line of scrimmage after plays were over. He just looked like he had given up, when the rest of his team were clearly still trying to make a game of it, or at least give everything they had until the final whistle.
I bet a lot of that will get cleared up as he matures, and he's still got a lot of time to get better than he already is, but I still think Curtis is better.
WCOB, 2003

Tomhog™

Joe,

Don't forget you are comparing a senior to a sophomore last year.  I've seen both players myself.  Both are very talented and I would want both on my side and not the opposite of the field.  Dyer is more skilled in my opinion.  And I'm from the south, so there is no homerism to it.  Dyer will likely be one of the top 2-3 RB's in the nation next year.  I can't see him being anything but a 5* as long as he stays healthy through this season.

Dyer has moves I haven't seen in years in Arkansas.  He is more elusive than Curtis, though both are tough to get arms around.  I see Michael more as a homerun threat than Curtis.  I expect if he gets 3 healthy years, to break all sorts of records by the end of his senior season.

jmingram911

The previos coaching staff, especially TCTWF, would have already found a way to drive MD right to LSU. Hopefully, CBP and TH have changed that and he will be another oustanding Arkansas RB.

JoePaul03

Quote from: Tomhog™ on July 24, 2008, 07:25:59 am
Joe,

Don't forget you are comparing a senior to a sophomore last year.  I've seen both players myself.  Both are very talented and I would want both on my side and not the opposite of the field.  Dyer is more skilled in my opinion.  And I'm from the south, so there is no homerism to it.  Dyer will likely be one of the top 2-3 RB's in the nation next year.  I can't see him being anything but a 5* as long as he stays healthy through this season.

Dyer has moves I haven't seen in years in Arkansas.  He is more elusive than Curtis, though both are tough to get arms around.  I see Michael more as a homerun threat than Curtis.  I expect if he gets 3 healthy years, to break all sorts of records by the end of his senior season.

I totally agree on the Senior/Sophomore difference...That's kind of what I meant when I said that about how I think a lot of that will get cleared up by the time he's a senior. I think we can all agree that regardless who ends up being better, we'd sure like to see both of them wearing Razorback Red when it's all said and done.
WCOB, 2003

lemwood

simply kid is a beast.. must have... the back that we need

swinesation

Joe, how many yards did Dyer gain in the regular season game against Greenwood, which LRCA won 44-7? Seriously, I can't remember, but I'm pretty sure he had a good night. I bet he gained more yards that night than any RB got against Greenwood in 2007 - including Curtis.

B Ray

I would love it if these recruits would say that they are committing to the UA, but without the changes at the HC position, this wouldnt be possible.

JoePaul03

Quote from: swinesation on September 02, 2008, 02:28:28 pm
Joe, how many yards did Dyer gain in the regular season game against Greenwood, which LRCA won 44-7? Seriously, I can't remember, but I'm pretty sure he had a good night. I bet he gained more yards that night than any RB got against Greenwood in 2007 - including Curtis.

I'm not sure...It might not be as many as you think though...Thanks to all the turnovers LRCA had a short field nearly the whole night, so that would probably skew some of the numbers. He did play much better in that game than in the title game, though, no disagreement there.
WCOB, 2003

The Hog

Traveling over to Oak Grove to watch LRCA and OG play tomorrow night.  Interested in seeing the new QB.
Automatic RUN!