Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

We're number 45

Started by PorcineSublime, July 19, 2005, 11:46:57 am

Previous topic - Next topic

PorcineSublime

Not quite the same ring as we're number one,  but I guess it could be worse. :-\

http://msn.foxsports.com/cfb/story/3732190
Sittin in the morning sun, I'll be sittin here when evening comes.

Swino

And it only took us 8 years to get here!! YEH!!

Anti-OtisII

Sandwiched right between Kansas and Kansas State.  Now we're getting the respect we deserve.

junkyardhog

Pre season polls are worthless. If it is 1 or 101, it don't matter till the first game is won or lost.

Sbrokeski

I think it does matter if you're 1 or 101.  You always want to hear your team held up in the highest.  Obviously polls don't dictate what will transpire on the field however.

hogsanity

Quote from: junkyardhog on July 19, 2005, 12:42:37 pm
Pre season polls are worthless. If it is 1 or 101, it don't matter till the first game is won or lost.

I used to think that, but its wrong.  You think they dont matter?  Ask Auburn.  If they satrt the season ranked top 10 they probably play for the title.  They had to climb so far over so many teams they never quite got to the top. 
People ask me what I do in winter when there is no baseball.  I will tell you what I do. I stare out the window, and I wait for spring.

"Anything goes wrong, anything at all, your fault, my fault, nobodies fault, I'm going to blow your head off."  John Wayne in BIG JAKE

GorillaJMonsoon

July 19, 2005, 12:57:08 pm #6 Last Edit: January 18, 2007, 08:20:32 am by GorillaJMonsoon

Turnberry

July 19, 2005, 01:06:05 pm #7 Last Edit: July 19, 2005, 07:34:06 pm by Turnberry
Quote from: PorcineSublime on July 19, 2005, 11:46:57 am
Not quite the same ring as we're number one, but I guess it could be worse. :-\

http://msn.foxsports.com/cfb/story/3732190

Fox is wrong. Every preseason football publication in America is wrong.

We'll go 9-2, with a few breaks 10-1. We're going to surprise some people.  (SARCASM).

aka PlanoHog

LSUFan

This year we play all of the heavy hitters at home, Ten, Fla, and Auburn. But I think the Rose Bowl is a stretch as we will still suffer at qb. But, defense does win championships.
Hopefully Arkansas will be undefeated when they visit Death Valley, it would make for an awesome game.
The sports writers are not fond of Miles, but he did beat OU twice.

2. LSU
There are only two things keeping the nation's most talented team from the top spot: uncertainty at quarterback, and new head coach Les Miles. Is Miles ready for prime time? He had moderate success at Oklahoma State, but he didn't set the world on fire. (Then again, the same could be said for Nick Saban when he was at Michigan State.) The assistants are there, like defensive coordinator Bo Pelini, to keep the same sort of butt-kicking fire there was under Saban, while Miles will have to prove early he can handle the pressure if the team isn't rocking and rolling. Second, will the three-way battle between JaMarcus Russell, Matt Flynn and Ryan Perrilloux be settled enough by September 3rd that there won't be a controversy if the winner isn't razor sharp from day one? The situation is the difference between the Rose Bowl and not playing in the SEC title game.
Relative strength: Running back   Relative Weakness: Quarterback
Star of the team: DT Kyle Williams, Sr.    Key game: Oct. 22 vs. Auburn

GorillaJMonsoon

July 19, 2005, 01:52:25 pm #9 Last Edit: January 18, 2007, 08:20:50 am by GorillaJMonsoon

Razorback Jedi

Now this is something to get excited about. 45th, schweet!

Razorback Jedi

Quote from: HoopHog on July 19, 2005, 01:59:30 pm
Quote from: Razorback Jedi on July 19, 2005, 01:57:03 pm

You are far too young to remember getting really excited about being rated #1...and how painful it was when we weren't even close!

You're right, I don't have memories of the "glory days".... But which is more painful; not being close to ranked #1 or being close to ranked #50? :)

toshortrock

well,,,where do u think we was suppose to be ranked at
Toshortrock,,,,,,GO HOGS/////

Razorback Jedi

Quote from: toshortrock on July 19, 2005, 02:05:35 pm
well,,,where do u think we was suppose to be ranked at

The only rankings I care about come out the 2nd week in October. Should we fail to be listed in said rankings, we can discuss at that point in time.

Pre-season rankings are so much more subjective and lopsided than the regular season rankings.

Bomis Hawg

Some computer does have Arkansas much, much higher, FWIW.  One was at 21, while I saw 3 or 4 others range from 30-35.

junkyardhog

While 21 is stretching it, until we win a few, I would agree with 35-45.

WilsonHog

You are far too young to remember getting really excited about being rated #1...and how painful it was when we weren't even close!

I remember it extremely well. Holtz, Calcagni, and either Cowins or Bobo were on the cover of Sports Illustrated's preseason college football issue.

Texas beat us 28-21 in Austin, a game decided in large part by a roughing the passer penalty against Dan Hampton in the fourth quarter.  Then the next week Bill Yeoman's Houston Cougars beat us 13-3. We ended the season with a 10-10 tie against UCLA in the Fiesta Bowl.

9-2-1, and the season was a total disaster.

bigred7987

even 2 years ago when we beat Texas and then Bama and one other and we vaulted up to #9 in the nation....we had an off week and proceeded to lose 2 outta the next 3.  Arkansas doesn't handle being the favorite too well.

Macgyver_Hawg

Quote from: bigred7987 on July 19, 2005, 05:38:25 pm
even 2 years ago when we beat Texas and then Bama and one other and we vaulted up to #9 in the nation....we had an off week and proceeded to lose 2 outta the next 3. Arkansas doesn't handle being the favorite too well.

That has to change.

junkyardhog

To be honest, I don't remember being good consistently. I was 7 when Lou Holtz took us to Orange, and while dad and the family sat around and yelled, I still don't really remember what all the fuss was about. I wish I knew now.

I remember the press being very good to us, especially when we lost 3 in a row a couple of years ago and still being ranked in the top 15.  It seems the press WANTED to give us credit, but every time they do, we burn their asses. Do you blame them?

Biggus Piggus

Quote from: LSUFan on July 19, 2005, 01:38:56 pm
This year we play all of the heavy hitters at home, Ten, Fla, and Auburn. But I think the Rose Bowl is a stretch as we will still suffer at qb. But, defense does win championships.
Hopefully Arkansas will be undefeated when they visit Death Valley, it would make for an awesome game.

2. LSU
There are only two things keeping the nation's most talented team from the top spot: uncertainty at quarterback, and new head coach Les Miles. Is Miles ready for prime time? He had moderate success at Oklahoma State, but he didn't set the world on fire. (Then again, the same could be said for Nick Saban when he was at Michigan State.) The assistants are there, like defensive coordinator Bo Pelini, to keep the same sort of butt-kicking fire there was under Saban, while Miles will have to prove early he can handle the pressure if the team isn't rocking and rolling. Second, will the three-way battle between JaMarcus Russell, Matt Flynn and Ryan Perrilloux be settled enough by September 3rd that there won't be a controversy if the winner isn't razor sharp from day one? The situation is the difference between the Rose Bowl and not playing in the SEC title game.
Relative strength: Running back Relative Weakness: Quarterback
Star of the team: DT Kyle Williams, Sr. Key game: Oct. 22 vs. Auburn

Um, how many teams with a weakness at QB finish in the top five?
[CENSORED]!

Hoggysoprano

July 19, 2005, 10:25:50 pm #21 Last Edit: July 19, 2005, 10:30:03 pm by Hoggysoprano
Quote from: HoopHog on July 19, 2005, 01:47:04 pm
No one talks about this being a good place for the Hogs to start. No one talks about the underdog factor that the Arkansas Razorback program has always used to it's ability. No one talks about all those years when we were ranked higher in the pre-season and ALWAYS went backwards. Remember when Sports Illustrated picked us a preseason #1? How many of you remember how painfully disappointing that year was when we started with a thumping from the University of Texas (and capped by a lackluster tie against UCLA in the Fiesta Bowl).

When the Hogs get their props in a pre-season football poll...we always disappoint. When we are over looked, we always surprise everyone. The funny thing about that last statement is the fact that we always seem to surpirse our own fans more than others...like it is the first time the Hogs came out of nowhere to have a successful season?!?!

Number 45 is a good place to start?  Do you know why Auburn didn't get into the championship game last year? It was because they "started in a good place".  If we go 9-2 we will be lucky to hit the top 20 starting out at number 45.  Of course I don't think we will go 9-2 and I don't think we will rise above number 40.

Hoggysoprano

Quote from: John Wesley Hardin on July 19, 2005, 02:32:56 pm
#45 DOESN'T EXACTLY DO IT FOR ME, LA Tech does the best it can. I guess HDN is the BEST we can do? and WE SHOULDN'T COMPLAIN! :(

It doesn't for me either Ray, of course you have to know a little about the polls and how these things work to realize why it's not a good thing.  Jeez, some people can't see anything.

junkyardhog

skip, forgive me for being informal, but don't you think if we were to beat USC, that the preseason poll would be rendered useless? A little different from Auburn's situation if we were to beat USC.  I think that would catapult us to the top 10, quickly. Not saying we will beat them, just saying, "what if".

LSUFan

Quote from: Biggus Piggus on July 19, 2005, 10:23:03 pm
Quote from: LSUFan on July 19, 2005, 01:38:56 pm

2. LSU
Relative strength: Running back Relative Weakness: Quarterback
Star of the team: DT Kyle Williams, Sr. Key game: Oct. 22 vs. Auburn

Um, how many teams with a weakness at QB finish in the top five?
The qb is unproven, not weak. But, I suspect LSU will not be in the top 5 at the end of the year.

Hoggysoprano

Quote from: junkyardhog on July 19, 2005, 11:08:20 pm
skip, forgive me for being informal, but don't you think if we were to beat USC, that the preseason poll would be rendered useless? A little different from Auburn's situation if we were to beat USC. I think that would catapult us to the top 10, quickly. Not saying we will beat them, just saying, "what if".
Why don't you ask Tommy Tuberville that question? If we beat USC, and won all our games we would not bet into the championship game starting from such a low rank as 45. Of course we don't have to worry about any of that happening.

JJHog

#45 DOESN'T EXACTLY DO IT FOR ME, LA Tech does the best it can. I guess HDN is the BEST we can do? and WE SHOULDN'T COMPLAIN! :(

no, but complaniing too much, gets old.
" Think Right, Do Right"

Hoggysoprano

Quote from: JJHog on July 20, 2005, 10:25:56 am

Being so overly optimistic that you look foolish gets old also.

Sig Pooey

If we were basing this on age....you would get three votes!

JJHog

Quote from: Hoggysoprano on July 20, 2005, 10:30:37 am

I am not overly optimistic, but I don't go around saying we suck all the time either.
" Think Right, Do Right"

Hoggysoprano

Quote from: JJHog on July 20, 2005, 10:49:00 am

I am not overly optimistic, but I don't go around saying we suck all the time either.
I didn't say you, but I guess the shoe fits.

Turnberry

Quote from: Hoggysoprano on July 20, 2005, 10:57:55 am
Quote from: JJHog on July 20, 2005, 10:49:00 am

I didn't say you, but I guess the shoe fits.

I'll stop complaining when we stop sucking.   
aka PlanoHog