Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

A Few Conciliatory (?) Words From Nolan

Started by WilsonHog, July 19, 2005, 09:37:54 am

Previous topic - Next topic

WilsonHog

Not sure where the original article is located, but I found the following words from Nolan in USA today this morning from wire reports:

"I don't have anger against the university, not at all.  There are things that happened. Hopefully we can resolve them. But for the people of Arkansas, what has happened, what I have done, is just between me and several of the people involved."

RazorRedneck

Sounds like he wants to bury the hatchet.

DirkPiggler

Quote from: WilsonHog on July 19, 2005, 09:37:54 am
Not sure where the original article is located, but I found the following words from Nolan in USA today this morning from wire reports:

"I don't have anger against the university, not at all. There are things that happened. Hopefully we can resolve them. But for the people of Arkansas, what has happened, what I have done, is just between me and several of the people involved."

That's definitely a step in the right direction.  If he would add a public apology for the damage he's caused to the reputation of the university he'd be forgiven in my eyes.  Despite the hateful things he's said and the steaming pile of dung he created at Bud Walton Arena over his last seven years, he did give us many reasons to be proud up until about '95.  It would be nice to be able to welcome him back into the fold as an elder statesman of the program.
"They've forced my hand on that one."  -  Houston Nutt, November 2005 regarding his future hiring of Gus Mal-a-zahn

idochog

I love Jesus!

HogDodging

Later in the article, he was asked about graduation rates being tied to a coach's performance review.  His response, "A coach ain't got nothing to do with graduation rates."
Is that so?  I wonder if he's told Bob Knight or Coach K that.
Since he doesn't see fit to use the English language correctly, I can see where he'd get that opinion.
So, how does he see a coach's role?  To prepare his players for the NBA?  How many of Nolan's players are in the NBA versus the number who have served time in jail for various offenses?

Fatty McGee

A coach's role in major D-1 athletics is to win games and not get caught cheating or having sex with a prostitute in a Mobile hotel.
Bandit: Hey wait a minute, wait a minute. Why do you want that beer so bad?
Little Enos: Cause he's thirsty, dummy!

Hoggysoprano

Nolan won a national title, that is more than Nutt or Heath will ever do.  Forgive and forget.

hogfan98

Quote from: Deep Shoat on July 19, 2005, 10:18:40 am
Later in the article, he was asked about graduation rates being tied to a coach's performance review. His response, "A coach ain't got nothing to do with graduation rates."
Is that so? I wonder if he's told Bob Knight or Coach K that.
Since he doesn't see fit to use the English language correctly, I can see where he'd get that opinion.
So, how does he see a coach's role? To prepare his players for the NBA? How many of Nolan's players are in the NBA versus the number who have served time in jail for various offenses?

how many coaches have been allowed to keep their jobs when they have a high graduation rate and a losing record?  also, how long is a coach accountable for what former players do?  does he have to baby sit them years after they leave the program.  is he to blame for the trouble that ron huerry continually gets himself into, 15 yrs after he has left the program.  and if you want to make a ridiculous argument by looking at how many players have been in the nba compared to how many have served in jail, i think you know that you would find the numbers on the nba side higher (duh!).  with the exception of the todd day thing, i can't think of any serious problems with the program disciplinary-wise while he was coach.  fill me in if i'm wrong.

i for one still hope for the day that the hogs will play on nolan richardson court at bud walton arena.

CarolinaHog1176

there's not a hog fan alive who would give up the '94 national championship but we all know that nolan wasn't exactly following the rules back in that day.  my point is this.... our '94 NC and '95 runner-up period was technically a flash in the pan because what happened after that?  probation, if my memory serves me correctly.  and after that?  0% graduation rate, year after year.  hell, the NCAA probably created the graduation rule solely because of nolan's outlook on the subject ("it ain't no basketball coaches job").  regardless, our program declined from '95 - '02 when it should've been reaping the benefits of a national championship.

but like I said, I won't deny our '94 NC but it doesn't reflect too well on how you were doing things if you make it to the finals a year or two in a row but then can't maintain it because of probation or whatever.  there's something to be said about all of these coaches who win without cheating.  their programs aren't flashes in the pan.
WOOOOO PIG SOOIE

Hoggysoprano

Quote from: CarolinaHog1176 on July 19, 2005, 11:11:10 am
there's not a hog fan alive who would give up the '94 national championship but we all know that nolan wasn't exactly following the rules back in that day. my point is this.... our '94 NC and '95 runner-up period was technically a flash in the pan because what happened after that? probation, if my memory serves me correctly. and after that? 0% graduation rate, year after year. hell, the NCAA probably created the graduation rule solely because of nolan's outlook on the subject ("it ain't no basketball coaches job"). regardless, our program declined from '95 - '02 when it should've been reaping the benefits of a national championship.

but like I said, I won't deny our '94 NC but it doesn't reflect too well on how you were doing things if you make it to the finals a year or two in a row but then can't maintain it because of probation or whatever. there's something to be said about all of these coaches who win without cheating. their programs aren't flashes in the pan.

What "probation" the Pate, Adebyo thing was proven to of been handled wrong by the NCAA, in fact Adebyo got a fifth year of eligibility and got to come back here to play. You trying to rewrite history there a little? 

RazorRedneck

No matter what people think of his work at Arkansas or what happen during and after his firing at Arkansas.  Nolan should be at one point inducted into the Arkansas Sports Hall of Fame.  I am afraid by the fact that his separation from the university was so ugly that it will never happen.  Here's hoping it does.

Calvin N Hawgs

When Nolan said:
Quote from: WilsonHog on July 19, 2005, 09:37:54 am

"I don't have anger against the university, not at all. There are things that happened. Hopefully we can resolve them. But for the people of Arkansas, what has happened, what I have done, is just between me and several of the people involved."

I tend to agree that he and "several people involved" were the only problems.  He wants to stay in Arkansas and seems to like it here.  I saw him at an Alltel store during the big mess...he seemed like a pretty nice guy to me.

HogDodging

Quote from: hogfan98 on July 19, 2005, 10:46:53 am
Later in the article, he was asked about graduation rates being tied to a coach's performance review. His response, "A coach ain't got nothing to do with graduation rates."
So, how does he see a coach's role? To prepare his players for the NBA? How many of Nolan's players are in the NBA versus the number who have served time in jail for various offenses?

how many coaches have been allowed to keep their jobs when they have a high graduation rate and a losing record?  also, how long is a coach accountable for what former players do?  does he have to baby sit them years after they leave the program.  is he to blame for the trouble that ron huerry continually gets himself into, 15 yrs after he has left the program.  and if you want to make a ridiculous argument by looking at how many players have been in the nba compared to how many have served in jail, i think you know that you would find the numbers on the nba side higher (duh!).  with the exception of the todd day thing, i can't think of any serious problems with the program disciplinary-wise while he was coach.  fill me in if i'm wrong.

i for one still hope for the day that the hogs will play on nolan richardson court at bud walton arena.

Does the infamous dorm incident ring a bell with you?  What about William Mills and Kenny Hutchinson?
Nolan acts like a coach's only role is to prepare his players for the NBA.  IMHO, a coach should feel a responsibility to ensure the player is prepared for life without basketball.  That means getting an education. 
What percentage of college players actually make it to the NBA?  The odds are definitely against them.
If Nolan thinks that's his only responsibility then I say he failed in that regard.
I'm saying Nolan did nothing to help his players outside the basketball arena.  Very few of them even got a look at the NBA, much less made a team.
So, what is happening to them now that they have no job skills?  They are getting arrested.
Perhaps if Nolan had put more emphasis on getting an education, we might see more of his players working real jobs, instead of picking up trash in a chain gang.

Razorod

I'd lay more responsibility for William Mills and Kenny Hutchinson on Eddie Sutton than I would Nolan. Both of them were already in deep trouble before Nolan even arrived.
Hoping the Hogs basketball fortunes change for the better this season.

JJHog

Quote from: Deep Shoat on July 19, 2005, 11:26:05 am
Quote from: hogfan98 on July 19, 2005, 10:46:53 am

how many coaches have been allowed to keep their jobs when they have a high graduation rate and a losing record? also, how long is a coach accountable for what former players do? does he have to baby sit them years after they leave the program. is he to blame for the trouble that ron huerry continually gets himself into, 15 yrs after he has left the program. and if you want to make a ridiculous argument by looking at how many players have been in the nba compared to how many have served in jail, i think you know that you would find the numbers on the nba side higher (duh!). with the exception of the todd day thing, i can't think of any serious problems with the program disciplinary-wise while he was coach. fill me in if i'm wrong.

Does the infamous dorm incident ring a bell with you? What about William Mills and Kenny Hutchinson?
Nolan acts like a coach's only role is to prepare his players for the NBA. IMHO, a coach should feel a responsibility to ensure the player is prepared for life without basketball. That means getting an education.
What percentage of college players actually make it to the NBA? The odds are definitely against them.
If Nolan thinks that's his only responsibility then I say he failed in that regard.
I'm saying Nolan did nothing to help his players outside the basketball arena. Very few of them even got a look at the NBA, much less made a team.
So, what is happening to them now that they have no job skills? They are getting arrested.
Perhaps if Nolan had put more emphasis on getting an education, we might see more of his players working real jobs, instead of picking up trash in a chain gang.

Nolan exhibits the same qualities he criticzes others of.
If he was sincere about helping people of his own race, one would think he would put forth more effort to see his kids graduated and got good jobs.
" Think Right, Do Right"

JJHog

Quote from: Hoggysoprano on July 19, 2005, 10:32:54 am
Nolan won a national title, that is more than Nutt or Heath will ever do. Forgive and forget.

So winning make it's ok to crap on the fans, the school and the state?
" Think Right, Do Right"

Hoggysoprano

Quote from: JJHog on July 19, 2005, 12:53:03 pm
Nolan won a national title, that is more than Nutt or Heath will ever do. Forgive and forget.

What is the use in bringing up all that crap again?  Let Nolan have his place in Hog history, forgive the stuff that was said. I remember when Nolan was first here, his daughter was dying and many people called him names and showed little compassion. If he would of left then noone could of blamed him.  Let it go, he did a lot for the school. Take a walk through Bud Walton and thank Nolan.

JJHog

July 19, 2005, 01:20:12 pm #17 Last Edit: July 19, 2005, 01:21:47 pm by JJHog
Quote from: Hoggysoprano on July 19, 2005, 12:56:41 pm
Quote from: JJHog on July 19, 2005, 12:53:03 pm

What is the use in bringing up all that crap again? Let Nolan have his place in Hog history, forgive the stuff that was said. I remember when Nolan was first here, his daughter was dying and many people called him names and showed little compassion. If he would of left then noone could of blamed him. Let it go, he did a lot for the school. Take a walk through Bud Walton and thank Nolan.

He tainted the NC with his antics. He could have been a legend for his lifetime.

I can forgive but not forget, I am only human.

He'd have to drop his appeals for me to have any respect for him.
" Think Right, Do Right"

toshortrock

let nolan ride off into the sunset,,if he keeps his mouth shut
Toshortrock,,,,,,GO HOGS/////

Big Papa Satan

Quote from: JJHog on July 19, 2005, 01:20:12 pm

He tainted the NC with his antics. He could have been a legend for his lifetime.

I can forgive but not forget, I am only human.

He'd have to drop his appeals for me to have any respect for him.

Ditto.  I'd like to say forgive and forget, but it's hard to do that with the darn he pulled.

Flatfoot

Nolan needs to give this whole thing up.  I loved him for helping get that national title here, but ashamed at what he percieved as to all of us, that we were ,"all redneck sob's."  I despise the man and hope that he would give up the fruitless fight against JFB.  All he wants now is to keep damaging the program so that he may feel better about himself and his accomplishments.  I thought JFB had an ego the size of Mt. Everest, Nolan's makes Broyles look like a piss ant.
Thank God for Hogville.  I get my Hog Therapy here everyday.

rricha