Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Is Football the last American Sport?

Started by Hoggysoprano, July 13, 2005, 11:33:48 am

Previous topic - Next topic

Hoggysoprano

It seems that Basketball and Baseball are more international sports now than American sports.  Has Football become the great American pastime?  Is it the reflection of the American cutlure? The last gladiator sport?

CharlieHog

hogsanity

Hoggy, you and I might actually have something to agree on today, as much as that scares you.  Baseball takes too long for most people any more.  Basketball has been turned into something ugly that I really can not even describe, especially at the pro level.

College and pro football are easy for the fans to follow.  Their team plays one game a week, 99% of the time on a weekend.  There are 8 billion games on Tv and alomost as many highlight shows.  If they so choose they can get drunk before during and after the game.  They can get together with groups of frineds for watch parties for every game.  You cant do that realistically with any other sport becuase there are too many games in too many places during the week. 

I dont know about the gladiator aspect, it could be that especially with the people over the age of 35.  I still suspect it is a matter of time allotted and time needed more than anything though.
People ask me what I do in winter when there is no baseball.  I will tell you what I do. I stare out the window, and I wait for spring.

"Anything goes wrong, anything at all, your fault, my fault, nobodies fault, I'm going to blow your head off."  John Wayne in BIG JAKE

junkyardhog

Yep, it's funny, soccer tries to defend their sport by saying how 'popular' it is, when in actuality it is popular because even 3rd world nations can scrounge up a ball. http://www.soccersucks.net/

WE believe a sport is good when WE own it. I honestly don't want to see other countries playing our REAL football, they would just stink it up.

Football has become the baseball of our grandfathers.  IMHO- If baseball would put a shot clock behind the catcher and speed up the game, it might come back.

Hoggysoprano

The thing I was trying to refer to I guess it's an oganized fight.  Also I am going to research one other aspect. I have a feeling that since 1970 that not only have players grown a lot stronger, but also faster, taller and I know for sure a lot heavier.  If this keeps going to way it has the last 30 years by the year 2020 the average NFL offensive  lineman will be 6'9" and weigh about 400 pounds, anyway that is what I expect to find.

CharlieHog

Quote from: junkyardhog on July 13, 2005, 12:16:59 pm
Football has become the baseball of our grandfathers. IMHO- If baseball would put a shot clock behind the catcher and speed up the game, it might come back.

Don't confuse your own lack of interest in baseball with a general lack of interest.

hogsanity

Quote from: CharlieHog on July 13, 2005, 01:03:37 pm
Quote from: junkyardhog on July 13, 2005, 12:16:59 pm
Football has become the baseball of our grandfathers. IMHO- If baseball would put a shot clock behind the catcher and speed up the game, it might come back.

Don't confuse your own lack of interest in baseball with a general lack of interest.

Unfortunatly, his lack of interst is reflected in the dro  in interest in baseball.  i just finished coaching my boys t-ball team, and I saw it even there.  Not just in the kids, but the parents as well.  I mean the games took less than an hour, and these people could barely sit still that long. 

I for one love the pace of baseball.  Especially as a spectator sport.  What other sport can you go to get a hotdog in the first 1/3rd of the game and know 2 things

1.  99% of the time you will miss nothing important

2.  You very well might miss the play that wins the game. 

People ask me what I do in winter when there is no baseball.  I will tell you what I do. I stare out the window, and I wait for spring.

"Anything goes wrong, anything at all, your fault, my fault, nobodies fault, I'm going to blow your head off."  John Wayne in BIG JAKE

CharlieHog

I watch MLB games and see full stadiums. I don't care if a bunch of t-ball kids couldn't sit still for an hour. That isn't baseball, okay. That's T-ball.

Second of all, everybody in the whole country isn't watching baseball because we have more sports now. That doesn't mean baseball is floundering. Baseball is doing quite well, actually.

Doc Holiday

Football is the great American sport. Maybe people like football cause its so much like us Americans. Football players are big and heavy....We Americans are easily the biggest people on earth overall. Its the same reason we love SUVs and Pickups. Because we are the biggest and best ha ha..

DOGALUM

I'll side with both Hoggy and Hogsanity on this one.

Hoggy....I agree that baseball has fallen miles in popularity.  Pro basketball just sucks!!!  no other way to put it.  too many punks and thugs shaping the game.  Football is still, IMO, by far the best sport in the world.  That said, Hogsanity, I agree with you when it comes to my personal take on baseball....I love it.  Other than football...baseball is my favorite thing to watch.

By the way...who is getting the Taylor fight friday night?   I know I am....and I'm not even a boxing fan.
A man who wouldn't cheat for a poke, don't want one bad enough!

junkyardhog

It's funny with the pace of Baseball today, I could eat a hot dog, drink a coke, eat a bag of peanuts,  AND DIGEST IT BEFORE THE GAME IS EVEN OVER!!!!

So, from fridge to toilet in the span of a baseball game.  Yep, baseball is real exciting.

[attachment deleted by admin]

McKdaddy

I love watching baseball in person and on TV, but that love is only 1/100th of my enjoyment for football.
Don't buy upgrades, ride up grades.

"You are everything that is wrong with this place . . . Ban me"

"CPI, ex-food and energy, is only good for an anorexic pedestrian"--Art Cashin

rricha

Eddie Goodson

Quote from: Hoggysoprano on July 13, 2005, 11:33:48 am
It seems that Basketball and Baseball are more international sports now than American sports. Has Football become the great American pastime? Is it the reflection of the American cutlure? The last gladiator sport?
This exact question crossed my mind watching the MLB Home Run Contest. You are spot on, as usual.
"I already won the lottery. I was born in the US of A, baby. And as backup, I have a Swiss passport." — Creed Bratton