Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Biggest Hog Basketball Disappointment ?

Started by ReturnToDynasty?, May 23, 2005, 01:44:32 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Who was (is) the bigger basketball disappointment?

Ken Biley (highly touted out of high school)
Lee Wilson
Darnell Robinson
Olu Famutimi (although just a soph)
Other (add your own)

ReturnToDynasty?

Not sure about years prior to Nolan.  So if you know of any other players who were expected to perform but didn't, feel free to list them.  I am interested.

ColoradoHawg

I'm only 18, so I can;t say much about hog ball...I can say I watched the entire 93-94 season and remember alot about it...

But the biggest disappointment in my illustrious career has been Famutimi...All-American; I just can't see it

sooie dog

Patch

If Famutimi actually leaves for the NBA, I'll change my vote to him, but assuming he will be back next season to prove his worth, I'll vote for Tank Robinson. I thought he was going to be a stud, but turned out he prefered shooting 3-pointers over working on his inside game. That coupled with him opting for the Draft early. That was almost as bad as Famutimi.

donthaveone

Razorback Jedi

Houston Nutt

oh wait, this isn't a Nutt bashing thread? Ooops......

sooie dog

Bomis Hawg

Quote from: Razorback Jedi on May 23, 2005, 02:04:26 pm
Houston Nutt

oh wait, this isn't a Nutt bashing thread? Ooops......

:D

Oh, as far as the question goes, I'll have to say Lee Wilson.  For a Parade All-American from Waco, he stayed 4 years and didn't accomplish much stat wise.  Career Averages: 5 ppg, 3.5 rpg.  Ali Thompson, Derek Hood, and guards took his place as starters even as a Senior.

DirkPiggler

"They've forced my hand on that one."  -  Houston Nutt, November 2005 regarding his future hiring of Gus Mal-a-zahn

ReturnToDynasty?

Ken Biley was supposed to be the best player in Arkansas while in high school.  He was touted as the next big thing.  Hey, he did start in the NCAA Championship game, but he was a disappointment.

Kid Duroc

Derek Hood and Kareem Reid were McDonald's All Americans that were supposed to keep the dynasty going.
I remember some analyst at the time saying, "if you can't get Stephon Marbury, go after this kid Kareem Reid." And Hood averaged like 28 points and 22 rebounds per game in high school. Obviously hose two didn't pan out at all.

Razorback Jedi

Derek Hood could barely speak English, let alone play College ball at a high level.

HogFanLR

Darnel Robinson to me it is not even close.  I wish I had a better memory but I can recall there was another Mcdonald's all american big man that went to either duke or North carolina same year as Darnell coming out.  Supposedly Darnel showed him up at the game.  I remember getting all excited.  Was that ever wrong.

hogsanity

May 23, 2005, 03:36:14 pm #14 Last Edit: May 23, 2005, 03:37:54 pm by hogsanity
Has to be without doubt Kenny Hutchinson.  Eddie Sutton went ot the playgrounds of Ny to get this guy.  He could supposedly shoot from 25 and dish 15 dimes a game.  He may not have made 25 shots his whole career and the only assists he made were to the other team.  I think he very well might have been the last player Eddie ever signed from Ny City.  He was so bad he make Jefferson look like freaking Todd Day.
People ask me what I do in winter when there is no baseball.  I will tell you what I do. I stare out the window, and I wait for spring.

"Anything goes wrong, anything at all, your fault, my fault, nobodies fault, I'm going to blow your head off."  John Wayne in BIG JAKE

Swino

Darnell leaving early is THE funniest razorback sport joke ever.  Followed very closely by Olu declaring.

Bomis Hawg

Quote from: Swino on May 23, 2005, 03:37:16 pm
Darnell leaving early is THE funniest razorback sport joke ever. Followed very closely by Olu declaring.

You know the last pick overall in the draft makes killer money ::)

Theolesnort

Quote from: DirkPiggler on May 23, 2005, 02:27:58 pm
Kenny Hutchinson.
When he was recruited the word was he would be in the NBA before three years were up.
There's Nuttin in the world worth a solitary dime cept Old dogs and children and watermelon wine.

Brett Hitman Hog

Quote from: Bomis Hawg on May 23, 2005, 03:38:27 pm
Darnell leaving early is THE funniest razorback sport joke ever. Followed very closely by Olu declaring.

I lost $10 on that deal ... I bet he wouldn't get drafted, then the damn Dallas Mavricks pulled that out of their butt.  Needless to say my dad made more off Darnell getting drafted than Darnell did.  He is the biggest bust in Arkansas Basketball history. 

Reid and Hood might not have been the saviors of the dynasty, but they were servicable and had glimpses of why we went after them ... Darnell just sucked. 

Jason Jennings is my number 2 choice.  He was too slow to make it up and down the floor for Razorback ball.  He wasn't any faster walking around campus at Arkansas State.  I hated getting stuck behind him in the halls heading to lunch or dinner.  And we as unexciting on the court as well.

ReturnToDynasty?

Quote from: The Hitman on May 23, 2005, 04:32:08 pm
Quote from: Bomis Hawg on May 23, 2005, 03:38:27 pm

I lost $10 on that deal ... I bet he wouldn't get drafted, then the damn Dallas Mavricks pulled that out of their butt. Needless to say my dad made more off Darnell getting drafted than Darnell did. He is the biggest bust in Arkansas Basketball history.

Reid and Hood might not have been the saviors of the dynasty, but they were servicable and had glimpses of why we went after them ... Darnell just sucked.

Jason Jennings is my number 2 choice. He was too slow to make it up and down the floor for Razorback ball. He wasn't any faster walking around campus at Arkansas State. I hated getting stuck behind him in the halls heading to lunch or dinner. And we as unexciting on the court as well.

Yeah but Jason Jennings was not really a disapointment.  After seeing this guy run, we knew anything he did on the court was over-achieving!

Patch

I've never seen a high school player whose stats were more padded than Jason Jennings. I played against him in 97 at Bald Knob I might add. Our gameplan revolved around taking open shots away from his reach,and we did it. He blocked maybe 3 or 4 shots the whole night. Look in the paper the next morning, and he's got 13 blocked shots. I cringed when the Hogs offered him.

hogfan98

Quote from: HogFanLR on May 23, 2005, 03:32:19 pm
Darnel Robinson to me it is not even close.  I wish I had a better memory but I can recall there was another Mcdonald's all american big man that went to either duke or North carolina same year as Darnell coming out.  Supposedly Darnel showed him up at the game.  I remember getting all excited.  Was that ever wrong.

you're thinking of rasheed wallace.

hoggerdinger

The 2 biggest disappointments are Frank Broyles and Stan Heath.
Frank is still a head coach and Stan is nothing more than a good assistant basketball coach.

RazorBrad

Quote from: UAGrad95 on May 23, 2005, 02:01:14 pm
I LOVED the Stan Heath answer. Wish I was clever enough to have thought of it.

I'd have to say Philip McKellar. Wasn't he the Great White Hope? Wasn't he the guy that would end Arkansas basketball if we didn't get him? And wasn't he at ASU by his Sophomore year?
Philip was a good player. He and Nolan just couldnt get along.

Broken Trigger

Actually Darnell Robinson had a pretty decent career, and was poised to have a breakthrough season if he would have returned his senior year.  Of course it wasn't the gawdy numbers he put up in high school.   Lee was kinda disappointing,  because i just don't think he ever played with the fire that he should have after the first year.  At times during he and Darnell's first year, Lee looked to be the better of the two.    Also, if anyone remembers a guy named Eric Poerschke, he will remember a guy who averaged 35 or 40 points in high school, and then what happened after he came here?   How about Glendon Alexander who was like Mr. All Everything who scored like 40 a game in high school, sets the Texas state record for 3 pointers, and then comes here and is so-so.  Then when he begins to start blossoming some, what does he do, up and leaves for OSU.

Lando Calrissian

Jason Jennings or Jason Gilbert or...worse...Justin Hankins.
Quote from: Breems

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=haGfGkX-MbA&feature=youtube_gdata

Quote from: HawgBallLvrKentucky would be in the same position right now at #1 even with Pel as their HC.

Quote from: IronHogJohn Stockton wouldn't sniff today's NBA.

Quote from: jacksonpollackEvery time I look around in BWA I get dizzy. It is hard to judge the capacity. During the Auburn game I tried to count all the people in attendance but got lost at around 30,000.

HogFanLR

Hogfan98

Good memory.  Rasheed Wallace is it.  Thanks

I guess I tend to compare what Wallace and some other big men did to Darnell and the expectations placed on him.  He just never came close.  Thus my pick. 

Swino

QuoteThen when he begins to start blossoming some, what does he do, up and leaves for OSU

Then goes on a check forging spree and ends up in the pokey.

ReturnToDynasty?

Quote from: RazorbackRick on May 23, 2005, 11:40:44 pm
Actually Darnell Robinson had a pretty decent career, and was poised to have a breakthrough season if he would have returned his senior year. Of course it wasn't the gawdy numbers he put up in high school. Lee was kinda disappointing, because i just don't think he ever played with the fire that he should have after the first year. At times during he and Darnell's first year, Lee looked to be the better of the two. Also, if anyone remembers a guy named Eric Poerschke, he will remember a guy who averaged 35 or 40 points in high school, and then what happened after he came here? How about Glendon Alexander who was like Mr. All Everything who scored like 40 a game in high school, sets the Texas state record for 3 pointers, and then comes here and is so-so. Then when he begins to start blossoming some, what does he do, up and leaves for OSU.

I totally forgot about Glendon Alexander.  He was a huge disappointment, maybe the biggest.  He should have been on the poll.  And what about J.J. Sullinger or Chris what's his name...he transfered to Fresno St.  They could have really helped out team if they didn't give up on us.

Bomis Hawg

Chris Jefferies.  I wouldn't call him a disappointment.  For the fact that he transferred, I guess.  But, he did go on to get drafted from Fresno.  He's in the middle I guess.  JJ Sullinger, however, was a disappointment.

Hoggysoprano

I'm telling you guys it's far and away James Crockett, I think he was from Crossett Arkansas.  Looked like Darrell Dawkins and could'nt tie his own shoes.

Brett Hitman Hog

Quote from: Lando Calrissian on May 24, 2005, 12:25:51 am

Jason Gilbert was just another one of those guys that couldn't get along with Nolan.  I don't really know what happened on the practice court, but to hear it from Gilbert there was a little reverse racism going on... You just never know.

WindyCityHog

Okay....I'm showing my age.....Willie Cutts.

Hoggysoprano

WindyCityHog

I ain't THAT old....Cutts was a HS AA....and quit on Sutton during a game.  Anyone have more specifics?

ColoradoHawg

Quote from: The Hitman on May 24, 2005, 11:39:23 am
Quote from: Lando Calrissian on May 24, 2005, 12:25:51 am

Jason Gilbert was just another one of those guys that couldn't get along with Nolan. I don't really know what happened on the practice court, but to hear it from Gilbert there was a little reverse racism going on... You just never know.

I think the words 'reverse racism' are the stupidest thing I've ever seen...there's no such thing as 'reverse' racism...only racism...racism is not hating someone because they are black; racism is hating someone because of their race, regardless of what it is...

MJ2

Glendon Alexander
Willie Cutts
Jason Jennings
Jason (the kid from Mt. Home)
Darnell
Derek Hood

Brett Hitman Hog

How about Craig Tyson?  Anyone remember that guy?

Bomis Hawg

Tyson, a semi-big dude.  Orignally from Baltimore (the area's best player that year), went to a JC in Idaho, I think.  He was a JC All-American who was like an 18/7 guy.  Messes his knee up his first year.  Hey, he did get a ring though in 94, I think.  Thumbs up to him.

I wouldn't put them in the class of Darnell Robinson or Lee Wilson.  Nor, would I put Jason Jennings or Jason Gilbert in that area.

How about Guy Whitney.  He should be. :D  (He did have a nice dunk over Mamadou N'diaye)

Brett Hitman Hog

May 24, 2005, 05:22:11 pm #40 Last Edit: May 24, 2005, 05:49:43 pm by The Hitman
Quote from: The Hitman on May 24, 2005, 05:03:26 pm
How about Craig Tyson? Anyone remember that guy?
Quote from: Bomis Hawg on May 24, 2005, 05:11:41 pm
Tyson, a semi-big dude. Orignally from Baltimore (the area's best player that year), went to a JC in Idaho, I think. He was a JC All-American who was like an 18/7 guy. Messes his knee up his first year. Hey, he did get a ring though in 94, I think. Thumbs up to him.

I wouldn't put them in the class of Darnell Robinson or Lee Wilson. Nor, would I put Jason Jennings or Jason Gilbert in that area.

How about Guy Whitney. He should be. :D (He did have a nice dunk over Mamadou N'diaye)
I'm not sure if Tyson got that ring ... he was busted for Cocaine after the knee problems and kicked off the team.  Either that or I'm snorting it and hallucinating it all.

Bomis Hawg

I knew he was on the team the year before.  I forgot about the being busted part, he was a walk-on either way.  Another sad story. 

Brett Hitman Hog

I know he had a card that year, but other than that I'm not sure.  Yes, it was a sad story.

rricha

WilsonHog

Quote from: Hoggysoprano on May 24, 2005, 11:17:58 am
I'm telling you guys it's far and away James Crockett, I think he was from Crossett Arkansas. Looked like Darrell Dawkins and could'nt tie his own shoes.

THANK YOU!

Crockett was so bad that................well, he was just bad.

A comparable disappointment would be if you won a sweepstakes for the chance to sleep with a Playboy playmate..........only to discover that it was Miss December of 1962. 

Broken Trigger

Quote from: rricha on May 24, 2005, 06:19:06 pm
Ricky Norton

I actually thought Ricky Norton did a good job for us.  He hit a lot of big shots for us.  Had a good shot from about 18 foot.  Anyway, when i saw the name i just remembered pretty good things.

MJ2

Buck Ocean

QuoteHow about Craig Tyson?  Anyone remember that guy?

Probably the best to play on the team but never officially play in a game...to my knowledge.

Burnt the knee out in two consecutive midnight madnesses while Ray Doakes attempted to dunk from the free throw line
after we killed a case of Old English 40 ozs.

How bout Berry Jordan?  ohh....disappointment
Landis Williams?  played above his expectations......which was to never to show up at the university to begin with.
Ali Thompson.....seems as if his hops were a direct reflection of his head.....in the sky.
Steve Hood.....ah the ole shotgun......added more tattoos to his arm than 3 point attempts
Marlon Townes.....the s'o'b' skated to Memphis on us.....and he had a CAREER year in off the court chaos

Think like a Jedi

Bomis Hawg

I could've swore I saw Tyson in a box score somewhere.  I guess I was wrong.  I am looking now, but probably won't come up anything.

Barry Jordan took his ball home.  Landis Williams did well for himself.  Marlon Townes and that group were very solid, too bad they couldn't play.  Ali Thompson just had a bad end to his career.

I personally think Chris Walker should be HIGH on the list of best Razorback success stories.  The guy went from nothing Senior Captain and help lead the team (with Joe Johson) to the SEC Title in 2000.

SiriusHog™

Quote from: Hoggysoprano on May 24, 2005, 11:17:58 am
I'm telling you guys it's far and away James Crockett, I think he was from Crossett Arkansas. Looked like Darrell Dawkins and could'nt tie his own shoes.

I could be wrong, but I believe James "The Rocket" Crockett was from my home town.  Helena, Arkansas