Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Does Senior=Basketball Ability?

Started by WilsonHog, December 22, 2007, 07:45:31 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

WilsonHog

I usually pay little attention to what Fran Frischella says, but when we played in the Puerto Rico Tip-off he said on a couple of occasions that we were a team filled with athletes, not necessarily basketball players. He made another interesting comment as well. He said that the fact we had so many returning seniors was evidence those kids weren't very talented - otherwise at least some of them would have already gone to the NBA.

I'm not sure I can take the leap required to agree with that last statement. However, in thinking about it I am reminded of what John Thompson told a friend of mine who was attempting to encourage John about the seniors who would be on the Rebel defense next year. Thompson said, "Yeah...but that just means I'll have seniors who aren't very good."   

hogsanity

Quote from: WilsonHog on December 22, 2007, 07:45:31 pm
I usually pay little attention to what Fran Frischella says, but when we played in the Puerto Rico Tip-off he said on a couple of occasions that we were a team filled with athletes, not necessarily basketball players. He made another interesting comment as well. He said that the fact we had so many returning seniors was evidence those kids weren't very talented - otherwise at least some of them would have already gone to the NBA.

I'm not sure I can take the leap required to agree with that last statement. However, in thinking about it I am reminded of what John Thompson told a friend of mine who was attempting to encourage John about the seniors who would be on the Rebel defense next year. Thompson said, "Yeah...but that just means I'll have seniors who aren't very good."  

Senior does not = bb ability.  Bball ability = bball ability.  Either you have it or you dont.  This team reminds me of the group Nolan had, with Brandon Dean and the rest.  Tons of athletic ability, little basketball ability.  This group we have now is not smart, at least in bb iq.  They constantly leave hot shooting guards open.  They fail to get their own shooters, assuming we have one, open. 
People ask me what I do in winter when there is no baseball.  I will tell you what I do. I stare out the window, and I wait for spring.

"Anything goes wrong, anything at all, your fault, my fault, nobodies fault, I'm going to blow your head off."  John Wayne in BIG JAKE

forrest city joe

Quote from: WilsonHog on December 22, 2007, 07:45:31 pm

Right on the money wilson.

jgphillips3

These Hog basketball players are good kids, some of whom are talented.  They can't shoot and they can't play consistent three point defense.  We will still win a lot of games this year, but we are several years of SOLID recruiting from competing with upper echelon programs.

rude1

December 22, 2007, 09:06:57 pm #4 Last Edit: December 22, 2007, 09:45:38 pm by rude1
I have tried to say this for the last  couple of years before now. The talent level on this team has been greatly exaggerated from start. None of these guys were that highly touted coming out of highschool, and the fact that none of them has had the talent to even contemplate leaving school early, speaks volumes.

mbgrulz

if they were very talented, they wouldn't be here for 4 years. its that simple. they all have major holes in their game, and they have been around long enough for opposing coaches to get a sniff of it.