Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Borges Resigns as Auburn OC..

Started by jamie72921, December 11, 2007, 03:48:43 am

Previous topic - Next topic

jamie72921

Is this our new coach?

The Auburn fans seem to think so. Not very inspiring if this is true.
Bless your heart

everybodybleedsred

I haven't heard much about Borges.  Only heard about Auburn's DC.  :razorback:

jamie72921

Saw this posted on another board. Found it very interesting.

I have always believed that the hire would be someone whose name we have not heard yet. Borges would certainly fit that bill.

I hope this isn't true. Just the latest rumor for now.
Bless your heart

aar0n

If this is our next coach he appeared out of thin air.  I havent heard much about him in relation to us.  All I have heard is that there have been talks about him quitting for a while.

jamie72921

Bless your heart

aar0n

Quote from: jamie72921 on December 11, 2007, 03:56:49 am
You underestimate the ineptness of those in charge on the hill. They could very easily hire this guy.
Eerily valid point

smw62485

With Borges' complete lack of effectiveness in the SEC over the last couple of years, I don't think Long would dare make such a horrible hire.

aar0n

Im just going to leave this thread and try to never think about it again.  I will throw up all over my computer

smw62485

You underestimate the ineptness of those in charge on the hill. They could very easily hire this guy.

I can't argue against the fact that some inane decisions have been made, but i'm gonna hold on to a thread of hope that they'll pull out another Pelphrey-like hire...even if they do it by accident.

jr

TT fired him, he did not resign to become the HC at UofA.

FourthAndOne

Borges is still thought of very highly by many people at Auburn, although fans are complaining that changes must be made to improve the offense.  It was the quarterback that limited Borges, IMO.   Cox doesn't have the arm strength to stretch a defense, so everybody played around the line of scrimmage against us.   Still I think he did pretty well considering the limitations and completely rebuilding after Campbell, Williams and Brown departed.  But when it's all said and done, Auburn is 101st in offense with a senior quarterback who's thrown 9 touchdowns and 12 interceptions this season.  Oh well.  My guess is Auburn will replace him with former AU quarterback and current Miami OC Patrick Nix.

Anyways, I've always thought of Borges as a great head coaching candidate.  I think he's been an OC for 20 years or something.  I'm not sure he's a great fit at Arkansas.  I believe he could be very successful in the PAC10 or ACC.  I doubt you'll hire him, but I believe he is by far the better candidate than Muschamp is.  Muschamp does well against one-dimensional offenses (sorry Hawgs), but the balanced offenses own him (hey to Georgia).   Muschamp is still a little green.

hawgsav1

December 11, 2007, 05:35:32 am #13 Last Edit: December 11, 2007, 05:54:29 am by hawgsav1
I am disappointed that Borges is gone...he was the reason that we've even had a chance against Auburn the last couple of years.
Revenge is a dish best served cold. - Klingon Proverb

allhogislost

Welcome to the Plain Gus .Glad to be here TT. ???

jpsand

Maybe Gus will get to coach in the SEC after all

MountieDawg

Obviously the guy is awful...  he could only put up 10 points on a defense that usually gave up close to 40 in the SEC
SEC!

razorrog1

Quote from: MountieDawg on December 11, 2007, 08:38:09 am
Obviously the guy is awful...  he could only put up 10 points on a defense that usually gave up close to 40 in the SEC
Just curious. What team would that be?

jry04

Quote from: MountieDawg on December 11, 2007, 08:38:09 am
Look past the stats. Our defense wasn't as bad as you want to believe. Our offense gave up a few touchdowns to the opposing defense. Our offense also couldn't move the ball against UT which forced our defense to step up, but they just got worn out. Our offense didn't do good until the 2nd half of the LSU game. Our offense was awful against UK only scoring 1 offensive TD. Our defence had 9 points, ST had 7, and our offensehad 13 points. When you have very little production from your offense, your defense is going to struggle no matter how good it is.

Our offense averaged around 35 ppg. We were held to 7 against Auburn, does that mean our offense obviously sucks?

DeltaBoy

If the South should lose, it means that the history of the heroic struggle will be written by the enemy, that our youth will be trained by Northern school teachers, will be impressed by all of the influences of history and education to regard our gallant dead as traitors and our maimed veterans as fit subjects for derision.
-- Major General Patrick Cleburne
The Confederacy had no better soldiers
than the Arkansans--fearless, brave, and oftentimes courageous beyond
prudence. Dickart History of Kershaws Brigade.

jim hog

Man I hope Long and White muster the required ingredients to hire a really good coach.

AllenHog

When he had Ronnie Brown and Caddilac Williams, he was a Broyles Award finalist for a 13-0 season.  Without them, his offense sputtered.

I think all of us here know how two 1st round picks in the backfield can make a coach look much better than he is.

Hogdomer

Quote from: AllenHog on December 11, 2007, 10:00:06 am
When he had Ronnie Brown and Caddilac Williams, he was a Broyles Award finalist for a 13-0 season.  Without them, his offense sputtered.

I think all of us here know how two 1st round picks in the backfield can make a coach look much better than he is.

"It's not the Xs and the Os, it's the Jimmy's and the Joe's."  That applies to every coach in the country--even Gus.

Nashville Fan

Pittman or Bust!

stevenwayneslane

If this guy gets the job I'm just done with the hogs. I will become an OU fan or maybe an ASU fan. Surely this isn't the case.

pfrg999

It is not what the OC of this school or the DC of that school did or didn't do.... It is all about WHO they put around them.... If they hire a great OC and a great DC...That makes a great coach...
Stoops - Great asst coaches
Carrol - Great Asst Coaches... and On and On....
If it is Al or Will or Brent (Yes we are on first name basis now) they have to surround themselves with the best..
That is something that the nuttster couldn't or wouldn't do....
Musician, Audio Engineer, Entertainment <br />Writer and Hardcore Razorback watching Hog Fan!!!

hogsanity

Well, if thats the case, does that mean Tubberville is inept as well, after all, he hired and kept him for 4 or so years.
People ask me what I do in winter when there is no baseball.  I will tell you what I do. I stare out the window, and I wait for spring.

"Anything goes wrong, anything at all, your fault, my fault, nobodies fault, I'm going to blow your head off."  John Wayne in BIG JAKE

PorkPhatRules

Why wouldn't you just hire Reggie if this is the guy you are looking at. Hell they even look alike.

Peppa Pig

Quote from: DeltaBoy on December 11, 2007, 09:55:28 am
Gus to Tigger ?

You people act like Gus is the only man in America who can coordinate an offense.

Ron Burgunby

December 11, 2007, 10:43:14 am #30 Last Edit: December 11, 2007, 10:46:22 am by Ron Burgunby
Quote from: pfrg999 on December 11, 2007, 10:34:04 am
It is not what the OC of this school or the DC of that school did or didn't do.... It is all about WHO they put around them.... If they hire a great OC and a great DC...That makes a great coach...
Stoops - Great asst coaches
Carrol - Great Asst Coaches... and On and On....
If it is Al or Will or Brent (Yes we are on first name basis now) they have to surround themselves with the best..
That is something that the nuttster couldn't or wouldn't do....

Is it the coaches are great or is it they get great players at OU and USC.  Look at what they did when they left.

Chow-Tennessee
Kiffin-Oakland
Orgeron-MISS
Stoops-Arizona

If we can't get the players it doesn't matter who we hire.

Holy City Hog

Didn't Borges get all the credit for utilizing Brown & Williams in the same backfield & turning Ferguson into an NFL QB?  How do you go from hero to goat in 3 seasons with a 41-9 overall record & avg QB the last 3 yrs?

WarEagle

I was really surprised to hear about Al Borges.  This has been a miserable season on offense, but I thought Borges would get a chance to improve things with the new QB next year.  I mean, we led the SEC in offense in 2004 AND 2005 (so it wasn't just all the talent we had in 2004). 

Last year wasn't so great production-wise, but we did go 11-2, so 2007 was the first bad season, and I think it was largely b/c of our quarterback.  I thought that a mobile qb like Kodi Burns could really tear things up w/ a Borges west-coast attack. 

There had been a little grumbling about him on Auburn boards this year, but I think most fans were surprised that he was let go after what was pretty much three good years and one bad year.  I think there must be more to the story...maybe he and Tub were butting heads, or maybe he is going to have an opportunity somewhere else, but I just don't think this situation occurred solely b/c of production.
I have descended into college football's Grand Canyon.  I have stood in its Alps.  I have gazed at its ocean sunset.  I have attended a game at Jordan-Hare Stadium in Auburn, Alabama and I've been changed forever. ~ Bud Poliquin

Spikie

Well, if it was VICTOR Borges, at least it'd be entertaining.... 

I'm not so hot on Al.

hogwatcher

Quote from: Ron Burgunby on December 11, 2007, 10:43:14 am
Is it the coaches are great or is it they get great players at OU and USC.  Look at what they did when they left.

Chow-Tennessee
Kiffin-Oakland
Orgeron-MISS
Stoops-Arizona

If we can't get the players it doesn't matter who we hire.

hmmm...2 1,000 yd rushers (comparable to Cadillac and Brown) and and barely an 8-4 season...I think this dispels your theory...

hogwatcher

Could it be that TT already has a new OC lined up to take over?  Someone that can utilize the speed and ability of Kodi Burns? 

I'm not sayin'....I'm just sayin'

prairiehogcompanion

Someone check and see if any of Steve Roberts' assistants have resigned at Arkansas State, will ya?

ltchog

WHBQ reporting that TT is interviewing Gus M. has his new OC

go hogues

Quote from: poohpig on December 11, 2007, 10:37:31 am
You people act like Gus is the only man in America who can coordinate an offense.
No, he just does it the best (hence his #1 ranked offense at Tulsa)
Quote from: Leadbelly on September 24, 2019, 09:05:22 pm<br />Dude, our back has been against the wall so long, we are now on the other side of the wall!<br />

BrooklynRoss

Oh, come on, he was fired and for obvious reasons.
I support the Razorbacks in the city that never sleeps.

Wild Bill Hog

Quote from: smw62485 on December 11, 2007, 03:59:26 am
With Borges' complete lack of effectiveness in the SEC over the last couple of years, I don't think Long would dare make such a horrible hire.

It's not who Long would hire,  it's who does White want Long to make an offer to.

Nashville Fan

Quote from: Rookie on December 11, 2007, 10:50:49 am
Didn't Borges get all the credit for utilizing Brown & Williams in the same backfield & turning Ferguson into an NFL QB?  How do you go from hero to goat in 3 seasons with a 41-9 overall record & avg QB the last 3 yrs?
You coach in the SEC
Pittman or Bust!

ThaRockArkansas

aar0n

He was forced to leave. ODDDD

Stella

Borges is the only OC worse than HDN.  He should have been fired a long time ago.  He offenses are impotent and boring.

Holy City Hog

Quote from: BrooklynRoss on December 11, 2007, 12:06:11 pm
Oh, come on, he was fired and for obvious reasons.

And these reasons are???  Under Borges the AU offense in the SEC ranked 2nd in 2004, 1st in '05 (without Campbell, Williams, Brown, etc.), 6th in '06 & 9th this season. So that's 1 bad offensive season out of 4 with an O-line filled with true frosh.  It's not like the guy woke up one day & forgot how to call plays.  He's a solid coordinator & proven in the SEC.

Hoggish1

Quote from: smw62485 on December 11, 2007, 04:02:47 am
I can't argue against the fact that some inane decisions have been made, but i'm gonna hold on to a thread of hope that they'll pull out another Pelphrey-like hire...even if they do it by accident.

That would be powerball-like accident.

jamie72921

Quote from: hogsanity on December 11, 2007, 10:34:34 am
Well, if thats the case, does that mean Tubberville is inept as well, after all, he hired and kept him for 4 or so years.

As head coach?

What thread were you reading?
Bless your heart