Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

We Need YOUR Opinion. Who's On Our Level?

Started by jcjj7777, December 09, 2007, 09:48:56 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

HawgBallLvr

2010 Liberty Bowl Champions!!

txkrazorback

Quote from: taintlint on December 10, 2007, 12:11:57 am
HANDS DOWN, NO DOUBT ABOUT IT, TEXAS A&M

We have more money than we can shake a stick at

Our deepest desire is to beat Texas, yet we have historically failed at it

We have an extreme over blown sense of self worth

People nationally know who we are but do not care enough to follow us

We are ALWAYS hit or miss

We go to bowls but never big ones and we usually lose the ones we do go to

Hell, we even just scheduled a 10 year series with A&M

We ALWAYS play 2nd fiddle in our conference

We can beat anyone, even the best in the country, but we also lose to crap teams on a regular basis

On and on and on and on

We ARE TEXAS A&M

I'm suprised we don't have A&M after U of A because we are originally an agri college.
The weakest thread post I know of in the history of Hogville: http://www.hogville.net/yabbse/index.php?topic=207820.msg3219371#msg3219371

BTW: If you need to remember the rules...http://www.hogville.net/yabbse/index.php?action=rules

HoggySTruman

Quote from: SPIRITHOG on December 09, 2007, 10:00:47 pm
I lived in Oklahoma for 10 years.  OU was considered THE school.  OSU generally considered the "cow college"(not my words).  (Remember Nutt played there)  The joke was that the only people who went there were VERY aggressively recruited(like Anderson from Junction City in basketball) or wannabe veterinary majors that were rejected by the Texas Aggies.

If we are that bad......my god......get the shotgun.
I also live in Oklahoma, I would say the Arkansas program is a level above Oklahoma State

HoggySTruman

From the SEC....South Carolina and Auburn
ACC...Clemson
Pac-10...Arizona State
Big 12 ...Texas A&M
Big 10...Michigan State

But the team I have always thought Arkansas was very similiar to is West Virginia (Fan Support, Small State).  I know they have been highly ranked and in the BCS lately, and I know some will consider them a notch above us for this, but they are in the Big LEAST.

Letitbleed

Apalachian St. and I'm not being fecetious.  The way our program is being run (and ruined) I really think we should drop down to division II or whatever they call it these days.

josh_sec33

Quote from: Hogstocking on February 07, 2008, 11:45:16 am
The 'fence' has been replaced by the Great Wall of China wrapped in barbed wire guarded by snipers. 

Quote from: Fayettechill14 on September 06, 2012, 05:43:24 pm
On a scale of "DGB is a Hog" to "Bobby had a girl on the back of that bike," how sure are you?

s.smalling

Having grown up in Arkansas, attending the U of A, and having lived now in Bryan-College Station for more than 25 years, it appears to me that A&M is remarkably similar to our program.  We are both well-funded, well-supported and carry inferiority complexes rooted in our pasts that should no longer apply, but that which we cannot escape from.

We both remain at the cusp of national respectability.  Both programs have come maddeningly close but seem to find heart-breaking ways to just miss.  That we will be playing each other again is totally appropriate.

revolution

I think Texas A&M (little lower) or Auburn (little higher)

STRILE

"Strile is critical to Hogville.  He accounts for 0.00077% of all posts"  anonymous moderator

want2be

Go to all the conferences and pick the teams that are 50% in conference wins

We are average with an average recruting base....Good thing is we have great facilties and NW Ark is steadily growing therefore our attraction should be better than average and we should be over 65% in conference wins......Just hope the new coach can get it done.

WarEagle

I think schools like Clemson, Texas A&M and maybe Oklahoma State.  Good programs with proud histories and passionate fans.  They are never cupcakes, but they have not had the level of consistent success in recent years that their fans would like.   

You are definitely above teams like Ole Miss who have really fallen since their glory days in the 50's.  You are above South Carolina who doesn't really have history.  Also, I don't see the West Virginia comarison b/c you have much more history, even though they are a "hotter" team right now.
I have descended into college football's Grand Canyon.  I have stood in its Alps.  I have gazed at its ocean sunset.  I have attended a game at Jordan-Hare Stadium in Auburn, Alabama and I've been changed forever. ~ Bud Poliquin

BigDrDon

You gonna look me dead in the eye,hold a straight face ,and swear to me,that the forward pass is legal?

DeltaBoy

If the South should lose, it means that the history of the heroic struggle will be written by the enemy, that our youth will be trained by Northern school teachers, will be impressed by all of the influences of history and education to regard our gallant dead as traitors and our maimed veterans as fit subjects for derision.
-- Major General Patrick Cleburne
The Confederacy had no better soldiers
than the Arkansans--fearless, brave, and oftentimes courageous beyond
prudence. Dickart History of Kershaws Brigade.

WarEagle

Quote from: taintlint on December 10, 2007, 12:45:43 am
TEXAS A&M
648-419-48 60% (FIRST GAME 1894)

ARKANSAS
636-434-40 59% (FIRST GAME 1894)

TEXAS A&M
STADIUM 80,200

ARKANSAS
STADIUM 72,656

TEXAS A&M
10+ WIN SEASONS  11

ARKANSAS
10+ WIN SEASONS  10

TEXAS A&M
(JUST FOR FUN) COACHING CHANGES   27

ARKANSAS
(JUST FOR FUN) COACHING CHANGES  29

TEXAS A&M
2 NATIONAL TITLES ('19,'39), 19 CONFERENCE OR DIVISION TITLES

ARKANSAS
1 NATIONAL TITLE ('64), 16 CONFERENCE OR DIVISON TITLES

TEXAS A&M
29 BOWLS, 13-16-0

ARKANSAS
35 BOWLS, 11-21-3

TEXAS A&M
RECORD AGAINST TEXAS  35-73-5 33%

ARKANSAS
RECORD AGAINST TEXAS  21-55  27%

TEXAS A&M
RECORD AGAINST BIG 12  192-177-15  52%

ARKANSAS
RECORD AGAINST BIG 12  161-151-7  51%

TEXAS A&M
RECORD AGAINST SEC  58-75-6  43%

ARKANSAS
RECORD AGAINST SEC  93-116-5 44%

TEXAS A&M
FORBES #17 MOST VALUABLE FOOTBALL PROGRAM (Value: $50 million Profit: $20.5 million)
http://www.forbes.com/2007/11/20/notre-dame-fooball-biz-sports-cx_ps_1120collegeball_slide_14.html?thisSpeed=15000

ARKANSAS
FORBES #16 MOST VALUABLE FOOTBALL PROGRAM (Value: $53 million Profit: $19.3 million)
http://www.forbes.com/2007/11/20/notre-dame-fooball-biz-sports-cx_ps_1120collegeball_slide_14.html?thisSpeed=15000

TEXAS A&M
ALL TIME RANK #22 http://cfbdatawarehouse.com/data/div_ia/big12/texas_a&m/rankings.php

ARKANSAS
ALL TIME RANK #26 http://cfbdatawarehouse.com/data/div_ia/sec/arkansas/rankings.php

Our two programs are mirror images of each other. They are as close as two 113 year old programs can get.

END OF DISCUSSION

Good post.  Very persuasive.  A&M is one of the first ones I thought of as well, but your post really addes some concrete numbers.
I have descended into college football's Grand Canyon.  I have stood in its Alps.  I have gazed at its ocean sunset.  I have attended a game at Jordan-Hare Stadium in Auburn, Alabama and I've been changed forever. ~ Bud Poliquin

BartIV

gilndoc

Quote from: Ar_Hog on December 09, 2007, 09:54:21 pm
Oklahoma St.

Great recuiting area but just can't get past Oklahoma and Texas

Ouch, that hurts!!! 

Here ya go, Nebraska.  We both had lame duck coaches with loss to App State and 0-4 in Sec.

dallashog83

In the Dallas area we are compared to Oklahoma State and Texas Tech alot.  I think we are alot like A&M, always close to the top but not quite able to reach the peak.

HoggySTruman

Quote from: Nashville Fan on December 09, 2007, 11:09:20 pm
Think NE and HI are the only other states with no other real bcs school.
West Virginia?

The UnderHog

wholehog92

I had originally thought about Colorado.  Occasionally pretty good, but lose when they shouldn't.  Another PR nightmare.  Always mentioned in their conference  division race, usually lower than they finish.  The Buffs are the primary school in the state with a scattered population.

Can't argue with aTm post though.
My personal list of trolls so that I can remember not to reply to them:  Pigs Been Fly, gohogsgo006, hanksampson, no3putts, HarryGoat, Oxbaker, Olmissbydamn, LocalHawg, Thatguy, Masterhog, servicesupport, Razorhawg09, Big Poppa Z,  $100 Handshake, Poloprince.

List of folks that reasonable conversation will not happen:  Iron Hog, Jman, hognot, Solomwi, hogfan1111x, pigzwillrise.

Favorite Posters:  WilsonHog, Tomhog, Muskogeehog, Razorfox, TammayTom, razorback3072, bennyl08.

quicksix

Quote from: tahlahog on December 09, 2007, 10:49:09 pm
USC, Florida, Ohio State, LSU, Oklahoma, New England Patriots and the Dallas Cowboys!
what can you say I'm Bias!
just like the last nut who went ot miss. you are nuts

jspang727

Clemson, Texas AM, Arizona State, Wisconsin, Alabama

RazorBassin

Mich St., Clemson, A&M, Auburn, and Arizona State.  WV would also be close, but I still think we are slightly above them as well as Ok. St.

softserve

Aggies.  Taint's presentation was rather compelling.
Don't sweat the petty stuff, pet the sweaty stuff.

PORKER1

Right now I would have to say Arkansas St.

joeyself

Quote from: softserve on December 10, 2007, 04:22:20 pm
Aggies.  Taint's presentation was rather compelling.

Yes, it was.  The first one I thought of was Iowa, but the facts he presented seem to make it the best "twin" for us, at least in football. 

West Virginia and Clemson are also good choices.

JcS
"Real failure always starts with someone doing something stupid."  Anna Conroy in SLINGS AND ARROWS

hogturtle

WVU. My wife (WVU grad) and I (UA grad) attend all WVU home games, several Arkansas home games, and at least one road game for each team every year. Similarities: fan enthusiasm, school size, state size and demographics, each is the only significant game in town (WVU has Marshall, we have ASU), and each has full state wide following. Similarities have diverged recently: ten years ago, when my wife and I married, the two schools were amazingly alike. Then, Arkansas hired Nutt and we improved our facilities; WVU hired Rodriguez and they won football games. Atmosphere at Little Rock games is still very like the atmosphere at Mountaineer field; while the atmosphere at Fayetteville is (now) much more subdued and seems to have become more of a social gathering. Nonetheless, in all the games I've attended (including games at all SEC, old SWC, and all Big East schools) WVU and Arkansas are the most alike.

ncrzrbk

Hogtimes

HotlantaHog

Clemson. Some posters have named South Carolina, but if you look at USC, that is a very difficult place to win. Holtz struggled, and Steve Spurrier is, too. Arkansas has better facilities and more money, but the two are similar in a lot of respects. Over time, either should be a consistent winner.

taintlint

Quote from: taintlint on December 10, 2007, 12:45:43 am
TEXAS A&M
648-419-48 60% (FIRST GAME 1894)

ARKANSAS
636-434-40 59% (FIRST GAME 1894)

TEXAS A&M
STADIUM 80,200

ARKANSAS
STADIUM 72,656

TEXAS A&M
10+ WIN SEASONS  11

ARKANSAS
10+ WIN SEASONS  10

TEXAS A&M
(JUST FOR FUN) COACHING CHANGES   27

ARKANSAS
(JUST FOR FUN) COACHING CHANGES  29

TEXAS A&M
2 NATIONAL TITLES ('19,'39), 19 CONFERENCE OR DIVISION TITLES

ARKANSAS
1 NATIONAL TITLE ('64), 16 CONFERENCE OR DIVISON TITLES

TEXAS A&M
29 BOWLS, 13-16-0

ARKANSAS
35 BOWLS, 11-21-3

TEXAS A&M
RECORD AGAINST TEXAS  35-73-5 33%

ARKANSAS
RECORD AGAINST TEXAS  21-55  27%

TEXAS A&M
RECORD AGAINST BIG 12  192-177-15  52%

ARKANSAS
RECORD AGAINST BIG 12  161-151-7  51%

TEXAS A&M
RECORD AGAINST SEC  58-75-6  43%

ARKANSAS
RECORD AGAINST SEC  93-116-5 44%

TEXAS A&M
FORBES #17 MOST VALUABLE FOOTBALL PROGRAM (Value: $50 million Profit: $20.5 million)

ARKANSAS
FORBES #16 MOST VALUABLE FOOTBALL PROGRAM (Value: $53 million Profit: $19.3 million)

TEXAS A&M
ALL TIME RANK #22 http://cfbdatawarehouse.com/data/div_ia/big12/texas_a&m/rankings.php

ARKANSAS
ALL TIME RANK #26 http://cfbdatawarehouse.com/data/div_ia/sec/arkansas/rankings.php

Our two programs are mirror images of each other. They are as close as two 113 year old programs can get.

END OF DISCUSSION

wbs gurl

Quote from: tahlahog on December 09, 2007, 10:49:09 pm
USC, Florida, Ohio State, LSU, Oklahoma, New England Patriots and the Dallas Cowboys!
what can you say I'm Bias!

You're also delusional.