Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Heisman Bias Lives here!

Started by Mark Lericos, December 09, 2007, 03:22:03 am

Previous topic - Next topic

PorkBrainz

Quote from: SPIRITHOG on December 09, 2007, 02:21:16 pm
I have an idea.  As a state let's all hit the mute button while Mark May is talking.

good idea, I'm in. from now on, I will watch espn as little as possible.
Go Hogs!

Mark Lericos

Quote from: nughaud on December 09, 2007, 01:37:18 pm
That's apples and oranges... Tebow is a QB, McFadden is a RB.  Tebow did more with more touches?  Well he will always get it more and should do more because of that.  You can't compare them like that because they play different positions.  I would like to know what pushed you to vote for Tebow over McFadden exactly.  What else did McFadden need to do?  2,000 yards?  More 200 yard rushing games?  Was 321 yards rushing not enough?  Was 200 yards rushing against #1 LSU in Baton Rouge and also throwing a TD not enough?... FYI Florida lost to LSU.  I'm just curious what pushed you to vote for Tebow... it obviously wasn't his negative rushing yards against Auburn.. I guess it was his STATS, which are skewed, as he played almost all of each game, and that combined with no running game from FL allowed Tebow to get those stats.

You can't keep comparing apples to oranges.. especially if Tebow is an apple, because Arkansas has 3 oranges who share the ball..McFadden, Jones and Hillis, and that's what McFadden's stats for TDs aren't going to be mind boggling, but when you see only STATS, Tebow's are gonna be insane, but it's nothing but skewed stats, and I guess that's all The Heisman is anymore, nothing but a stats award.

Apples and Oranges? Isn't that we have to do EVERY SINGLE YEAR in the heisman??! You have to make a comparison. I don't care which team beat who. I'm comparing individual players for an individual award. Period. You can talk about "skewing" stats because Tebow had short runs and Florida had no running game. Ask yourself, when is the last time an SEC qb ran for those numbers? They used him as a running back because he's talented like a QB (check his passer ratings and numbers) but built like a RB (and put up incredible numbers for a position that's not supposed to take a beating.
  Whether you like to admit it or not, Tebow is an incredible talent. So is DMAC. I take the stats, the performance over a season, injuries, and uniqueness of the player. It's basically a wash over most categories... except Tebow stands out with his dual performance all year.

If Arkansas runs the Wildcat ALL YEAR... it is a different story probably. It's not Dmac's fault from my point of view.

razorbass

Quote from: TMooney on December 09, 2007, 09:34:38 am
I got the feeling my self a week ago. [should have been sooner I guess]
I work with ESPN radio on all day.
This subject has grown inside me and actually made me sick yesterday listening all day .
I didnt enjoy last night because of it .

I dont have a problem with the winner . My problem lies with ESPN.

Sad.
Tebow was all class last night, But ESPN was his campaign manager.

HuntinHog421

"Florida had the better season"
Barely. If we win the Cotton Bowl and Florida loses the Capital one Bowl, we'll have the same record. The Heisman has become a joke, so is ESPN. I watched the commercials, where they show 15 seconds of Tebow and talk about him like he's a God and then give 2 seconds to the rest. It's a joke.
Tebow had a good team to back him up, D-Mac did not. Had it not been for the 5 porkers up front that turned opposing defensive lines to hamburger meat and recievers that could catch sticks of butter, Tebow wouldn't have had all those touchdowns. Furthermore, I don't think he deserves all the credit for the passing touchdowns. Aren't the recievers the ones who catch the ball in the first place? What if he makes a God-awful throw and the recievers bring it down? Should a qb really receive credit for that?
D-Mac, on the other hand had nothing. Casey Dick sucked up until the last few games and we had 1 good reciever who was out for 3/4 of the season. D-Mac had to carry the entire team. Tebow had the luxury of having people who made his job easier, D-Mac didn't. That's the difference.
Nutt is gone, so let's move on.

spitless

McFadden gets the last laugh on Tebow all the way to the bank....

docryde3

Tebow probably will follow in his fellow gator Danny Wuerffel NFL career and suck, at least the coaches know that DMAC is the best who cares about the media, screw em :razorback: :razorback:
Woo Pig Sooie

DeltaBoy

If the South should lose, it means that the history of the heroic struggle will be written by the enemy, that our youth will be trained by Northern school teachers, will be impressed by all of the influences of history and education to regard our gallant dead as traitors and our maimed veterans as fit subjects for derision.
-- Major General Patrick Cleburne
The Confederacy had no better soldiers
than the Arkansans--fearless, brave, and oftentimes courageous beyond
prudence. Dickart History of Kershaws Brigade.

murray-vegas

That's apples and oranges... Tebow is a QB, McFadden is a RB.  Tebow did more with more touches?  Well he will always get it more and should do more because of that.  You can't compare them like that because they play different positions.  I would like to know what pushed you to vote for Tebow over McFadden exactly.  What else did McFadden need to do?  2,000 yards?  More 200 yard rushing games?  Was 321 yards rushing not enough?  Was 200 yards rushing against #1 LSU in Baton Rouge and also throwing a TD not enough?... FYI Florida lost to LSU.  I'm just curious what pushed you to vote for Tebow... it obviously wasn't his negative rushing yards against Auburn.. I guess it was his STATS, which are skewed, as he played almost all of each game, and that combined with no running game from FL allowed Tebow to get those stats.

You can't keep comparing apples to oranges.. especially if Tebow is an apple, because Arkansas has 3 oranges who share the ball..McFadden, Jones and Hillis, and that's what McFadden's stats for TDs aren't going to be mind boggling, but when you see only STATS, Tebow's are gonna be insane, but it's nothing but skewed stats, and I guess that's all The Heisman is anymore, nothing but a stats award.

Let's get one fact straight. Tebow ran for 75 yards against Auburn. It was Georgia that held him to negative 15 yards. Tebow had 276 total yards versus Auburn(75 rushing and 201 passing). 276 is a little higher than McFadden's 43 rushing. Don't cry that he was hurt. That's the hand that was dealt. Tebow also had injuries he played with.

Also if you want to claim that no running game for Florida skewed his stats, can't one argue that no passing game actually increased McFadden's stats? He gained a lot of his yards at the QB position not the true running back position. It was McFadden's decision to hand the ball to Jones, pass, etc. Take away McFadden's stats in the wildhog formation if you want to fight a "fair" fight in your mind.

As for the LSU game McFadden had a huge game plus he had 3 OTs to add stats to his totals. Tebow had 225 total yards in his worst passing game of the year. Now playing devil's advocate let's compare other games that you chose not to look at.

Tennessee---
Tebow 299 on 19 attempts passing and 61 rushing...59-20 win
McFadden 22-117 and 3 catches for 17 yards...13-34 loss

South Carolina---
Tebow 304 on 32 attempts 26 carries 120 yards 7 TDs!!! (5 rush, 2 pass)...51-31 win
McFadden 34-321 rushing1-4 rec (can't find his passing stats) ...48-36 win

Ole Miss
Tebow  264 on 32 attempts 27 carries 166 yards...30-24 win
McFadden 22-110 and 2 for 10 rec ...44-8 win

Kentucky
Tebow 256 on 26 attempts 20 carries 78 yards...45-37 win
McFadden 29-173 2-10 rec ...29-42 loss

Troy
Tebow 236 on 25 attempts 17 carries 93 yards...59-31 win
McFadden 24-151 2 rec for 30... 46-26 win

I noticed that McFadden's team lost two of those games you chose not to talk about and Tebow won all five. These five games appear to be the difference to me as to why Tebow won the Heisman. Yes it's purely based on stats. Tebow was 5-2 while McFadden was 4-3 in games involving the same teams. To say that McFadden is more valuable to his team than Tebow is a hard argument since both players are the best player on their team.

davglo35

Most, but not all, Heisman winners turn out to be a flop in the NFL. Some people even consider the award to be a jinx. It would have been a great thing for Darren and The UA but we all know who the best is! Tebo is a phenominal football player but day in day out Dmac would be my first choice. They ought to give DMAC OJ's Heisman he's not an official Heisman winner anymore!

Mark Lericos

Quote from: murray-vegas on December 09, 2007, 06:23:55 pm
Let's get one fact straight. Tebow ran for 75 yards against Auburn. It was Georgia that held him to negative 15 yards. Tebow had 276 total yards versus Auburn(75 rushing and 201 passing). 276 is a little higher than McFadden's 43 rushing. Don't cry that he was hurt. That's the hand that was dealt. Tebow also had injuries he played with.

Also if you want to claim that no running game for Florida skewed his stats, can't one argue that no passing game actually increased McFadden's stats? He gained a lot of his yards at the QB position not the true running back position. It was McFadden's decision to hand the ball to Jones, pass, etc. Take away McFadden's stats in the wildhog formation if you want to fight a "fair" fight in your mind.

As for the LSU game McFadden had a huge game plus he had 3 OTs to add stats to his totals. Tebow had 225 total yards in his worst passing game of the year. Now playing devil's advocate let's compare other games that you chose not to look at.

Tennessee---

South Carolina---
Tebow 304 on 32 attempts 26 carries 120 yards 7 TDs!!! (5 rush, 2 pass)...51-31 win

Ole Miss

Kentucky

Troy

I noticed that McFadden's team lost two of those games you chose not to talk about and Tebow won all five. These five games appear to be the difference to me as to why Tebow won the Heisman. Yes it's purely based on stats. Tebow was 5-2 while McFadden was 4-3 in games involving the same teams. To say that McFadden is more valuable to his team than Tebow is a hard argument since both players are the best player on their team.

This is dead on. Nice post.

Fun_Hoggin

My thing is this, the guys who put either dmac or teebow 3rd or worse should not be allowed to vote again because they are obviously biased towards whomever is in their state and are not being objective.

Hawg_Heaven

I think Tebow deserved the Heisman, but the way ESPN pretty much just promoted him made me sick. You are right. If they are going to host the Heisman ceremony, they shouldn't be biased.

nughaud

December 09, 2007, 08:46:16 pm #62 Last Edit: December 09, 2007, 08:49:04 pm by nughaud
Quite funny murray-vegas, I never said anything about DMAC being hurt once in my posts.. Yes I had the Auburn and Georgia games mixed up, and once again you keep comparing APPLES to ORANGES... QB v RB stats aren't Comparable.. but yet you keep trying to compare them.  If we were comparing simply stats DMAC wouldn't be up at #1 for RBs.

As far as games, I didn't go out and pick any games... The 321 yards rushing game was because it was an SEC RECORD, and the 200 yards against LSU was because it was against the #1 team in the country on their home turf, and Florida lost to them.  So if you wouldn't mind answering if you think anyone in the next 10 years will rush for over 321 against an SEC team or have 200 yards rushing against LSU, I'd be interested in knowing.... You can play your STAT game all day with Tebow vs McFadden, but until Tebow simply rushes every down as a RB, not a QB or McFadden plays pure QB... it's apples and oranges all day long. 

Quote from: murray-vegas on December 09, 2007, 06:23:55 pm

Tennessee---

South Carolina---

Ole Miss

Kentucky

Troy

nughaud

Too true... McFadden was left off way too many voters Top 3.  Tebow and McFadden should of been on all of the voters ballots.  Anytime the media is involved in voting, things will end up like this.  McFadden won the Walter Camp award which is voted on by National Collegiate Athletic Association Division I-A head coaches and sports information directors (SIDs), and that's who know who real football players are, not media people who may of never played the sport or only going to vote for people in their geographic are or... who hear about the people simply on TV... The Heisman is a joke, the past 2 years have shown that.

Quote from: Fun_Hoggin on December 09, 2007, 08:23:22 pm
My thing is this, the guys who put either dmac or teebow 3rd or worse should not be allowed to vote again because they are obviously biased towards whomever is in their state and are not being objective.

Bill CHILL

To sit here and dismiss ESPN's campaign for Tebow as if it didn't have an impact is foolish. That is like saying CNN hasn't had any effect on the Clinton family and their image in the world today......or that NBC isn't responsible for a lot of Notre Dame's football recruiting success, when they broadcast every one of their games. It's like saying movies don't make people famous. It's like saying Micky Mouse became known exclusively because of the theme park and not the cartoon. It's also like saying all those Coca-Cola Christmas commercials and ads don't add brand equity into that company. Why do you think certain stations can command MUCH higher $$$ rates for ad placements than others? It's just media. It can't force anyone to do something, right? MTV didn't shape a culture. It's practically a documentary station of what already is. Right? Zzzzzzzzzz wrong.   

People can sit here and say that it's a numbers thing, but if that were the case, then Colt Brennan would have won or maybe that guy from UCF. The problem is that you have to look at both the stats and the quality of games, and the strength of the team overall, and if stats were padded or not, and if the candidate lives in a huge market, etc. Go ahead and list out all of the Heisman winners over the past 25 years (That's about when the media really started playing a role in things sports related...) I'll bet that 75% of the winners come from California, Texas, Florida, Ohio, Illinois or Pennsylvania. In case you're wondering, those six states total up to a whopping 36% of the population of the US. Look at the states that have never won one and I'll bet that most of those are in the bottom tier of the market size ladder. I have not yet done this, but I'm speculating that I'm pretty close to accurate that 75% or more of the winners in the past 25 years are from those six states.
You're born an original, so why die a copy?

nughaud

Good arguments Mark... One thing I'll say to "[Ask yourself, when is the last time an SEC qb ran for those numbers?", I'd say Ask yourself, when is the last time you saw a RB, return kickoffs, play QB and throw multiple TDs and catch the ball out of thebackfield? 

Thanks for your feedback, just wanted to address the issues and knowing how this season went and the end of the last one, I shouldn't of expected anything else from the Heisman voters.

Quote from: Mark [Scoop] Lericos on December 09, 2007, 02:37:20 pm
Apples and Oranges? Isn't that we have to do EVERY SINGLE YEAR in the heisman??! You have to make a comparison. I don't care which team beat who. I'm comparing individual players for an individual award. Period. You can talk about "skewing" stats because Tebow had short runs and Florida had no running game. Ask yourself, when is the last time an SEC qb ran for those numbers? They used him as a running back because he's talented like a QB (check his passer ratings and numbers) but built like a RB (and put up incredible numbers for a position that's not supposed to take a beating.
  Whether you like to admit it or not, Tebow is an incredible talent. So is DMAC. I take the stats, the performance over a season, injuries, and uniqueness of the player. It's basically a wash over most categories... except Tebow stands out with his dual performance all year.

If Arkansas runs the Wildcat ALL YEAR... it is a different story probably. It's not Dmac's fault from my point of view.

Kenny Dowell Loggains

For what its worth:  Tebow can try and take his Heisman trophy to the bank while DMAC is taking million dollar checks.  Ask Troy Smith if he would like to trade places with DMAC in the NFL... I bet you he would say yes.

nughaud

That's 2 good reasons we got rid of Nutt, he cost the University so much over the last few years, thank goodness he is gone.

Quote from: Razorpimpin01 on December 09, 2007, 02:07:03 pm
The bottom line is, IMO, if AR runs the wildcat as much all season as they did in 3 of the last 4 (all wins), AR has a better record, Darren has 2000 yards rushing, a couple of more TD passes and the trophy. Don't know if ESPN pimping Tebow helped him or not but I'm sure the Coach from Ole Miss calling out Lou "the spitter" and Mark May on CBS didn't help.

dsewell70

basically you just built a case for Tebow... he was Mr. Everything for Florida... where would Florida have been without him? and teams knew he was going to be the main cog and still couldn't stop them for the most part could they?

murray-vegas

December 09, 2007, 09:34:14 pm #70 Last Edit: December 09, 2007, 09:51:55 pm by murray-vegas
Quote from: nughaud on December 09, 2007, 08:46:16 pm
Quite funny murray-vegas, I never said anything about DMAC being hurt once in my posts.. Yes I had the Auburn and Georgia games mixed up, and once again you keep comparing APPLES to ORANGES... QB v RB stats aren't Comparable.. but yet you keep trying to compare them.  If we were comparing simply stats DMAC wouldn't be up at #1 for RBs.

As far as games, I didn't go out and pick any games... The 321 yards rushing game was because it was an SEC RECORD, and the 200 yards against LSU was because it was against the #1 team in the country on their home turf, and Florida lost to them.  So if you wouldn't mind answering if you think anyone in the next 10 years will rush for over 321 against an SEC team or have 200 yards rushing against LSU, I'd be interested in knowing.... You can play your STAT game all day with Tebow vs McFadden, but until Tebow simply rushes every down as a RB, not a QB or McFadden plays pure QB... it's apples and oranges all day long. 

I hate to explain this to you but you did pick the games. Here's a refresher on your post above...

"Was 321 yards rushing not enough?  Was 200 yards rushing against #1 LSU in Baton Rouge and also throwing a TD not enough?... FYI Florida lost to LSU...  it obviously wasn't his negative rushing yards against Auburn.."

You DID pick the games and picked McFaddens two best games and picked two games that Tebow lost. Is this apples and oranges? More like gold and fool's gold.

Also I didn't think the Heisman reward was given to a player for setting an SEC single game record. It's not what a guy does in two games in fact. The Heisman award is given for an entire season of play. Take away McFaddens two best games and he loses 525 yards off his rushing totals so he had a 1200 yd season in 10 games.

I hate to explain this to you but you have to compare apples and oranges and hell even pineapples to each other because it's an award putting all the players in college football under one trophy. That's why they have individual position awards. McFadden and Tebow both won those awards for their respective positions.

arkansas_razor5135

dmac deserved the heisman but like the post said, he will be laughing all the way to the bank with the nfl, dmac has more class and talent and will someday show the world in the nfl what exactly he is made of. your the man dmac and hats off too you baby cause your the bomb

murray-vegas

Quote from: nughaud on December 09, 2007, 08:46:16 pm

Oh, and I forgot to answer your question. I have no clue if anyone will run for 200 on LSU in the next 10 years or if a running back will break McFadden's rushing record. What exactly does an single game performance record have to do with winning the Heisman?

Some guy you might have heard of named LaDainian Tomlinson ran for 406 in one game. He didn't win the Heisman and seems to be doing okay. Of course it wasn't an SEC game so I'm probably comparing cabbage and lettuce in your eyes.

Also Im sorry for merging your McFadden hurt post with another posters post. I was trying to cut off that rebuttle before I had to read it again.

julie

Well written but please take note..."I digress" is the most overused phrase in pop culture today.  Pet peeve of mine, actually, but then, I digress.... ;)

PulledPork

I stated yesterday before the broadcast, that Darren wouldn't win it just for the fact that some 1st place votes would go to those less deserving than the top two guys.  That's where he lost the trophy.

PP

yraciv

Quote from: John Wesley Hardin on December 09, 2007, 08:46:33 am
If The SEC Coaches voted DMac the MV Offensive Player in The SEC and the Writers voted Tebow the Heisman, which award is valid and which is a fraud? Who are the most knowledgeable voters?

BTW, Smith from Ohio State, I'm not finding his name in any BOX SCORES on SUNDAY.

You need to remember these are the same writers that wanted the NC to be either Ohio State or Michigan last year. Infact they believe it should be Ohio State or Michigan every year.

ESPN is very partial to The Big 10 or as we call them down SOUTH, The Big 2 and Little 8. ESPN, the KING of Media BIAS!!!

http://www.nfl.com/gamecenter/boxscore?game_id=29401&displayPage=tab_box_score&season=2007&week=REG14

sorry couldn't resist b/ I noticed he finally played

Westcoasthog

DARREN MCFADDEN DEFINITELY DESERVED THE HEISMAN!

BroyledNutts

Hey Mark,

Mark May said the other day, I think it was on the Saturday when the conference championships took place, that Darren was the most talented player of the three players from a non-Heisman school...Just what the hell did he mean by that?
Did he just admit that T-Blow had been annointed to win early on simply because he was the only candidate from a "Heisman" school?
Now that's what I call bias....I never heard anyone call him out on this....

What's your take...

hawkeyefan17

Could it be that Darren McFadden didn't win the heisman because there were better players in college football this year? Yes. Darren played against the softest of soft non-conference schedule and only had two big tv games (South Carolina and LSU) We all know that Darren McFadden is the best player in college football but the best player in college football doesn't always win the heisman. The fact that Mcfadden didn't win the heisman doesn't mean that that he is any less great, I mean he will be the #1 pick in the NFL draft right? Or at least he should be.

Felix Jones hurt Darren's heisman candidacy as much as anything. Imagaine some of Jones' yards going to McFadden, McFadden has a 2000 yard season. If this had happened McFadden runs away with the trophy, a 2000 yard season in the SEC, that would have sealed it. He is the two time Doak Walker award winner which goes to the best running back in the country right?

There is an ESPN bias but it is not against Darren McFadden or Arkansas. McFadden has been praised time and time again by the "experts" on ESPN all season. He was thrown in the mix for the heisman by various people at points in the season when he didn't look all that deserving. If there is anyone that should be uspset about his heisman consideration it should be Kevin Smith RB at Central Florida.

Where was the heisman campaign by the University of Arkanas for Mcfadden? There wasn't one, this year or last. If there has been anyone in the history of the heisman trophy that deserved his university getting behind him and pushing him for the heisman it was Darren McFadden.

ESPN has no bias towards the Big Ten as others in this thread has said, espcially in terms of football. All we hear all year long is how great the SEC is. There is a bias towards SEC football, ACC basketball and Big East baskeball and against "flyover country" in most cases.

I don't blame Hog fans for being upset that McFadden didn't win the heisman but to blame it some agenda is offbase

CacheHog

Quote from: Mark [Scoop] Lericos on December 09, 2007, 03:22:03 am
   http://www.4029tv.com/sportsblog/index.html

Well said, Mark. The ceremony itself (and the accompanying hoopla) was slanted toward Tebow before any announcement was made. It almost looked and sounded as though ESPN knew what the results would be before they were announced.
Keep up the great work.

darkstar

My 2 cents,
It is Nutts fault for the Heisman not going to Dmac.  They knew "this year" about Dmac and stacked the line every game.  What kind of genuis does it take to know that there are ways to open up the field for the best runningback to every grace a Razorback uniform.  He and the "so called" OC should have known how to get around this.  It was pure assinine coaching that lost the trophy. 

Wait till next year and lets see how TT does when everyone knows what he will do.  He will be a marked man on the field just like Dmac this year. 

PorkSoda

Quote from: John Wesley Hardin on December 09, 2007, 08:46:33 am
If The SEC Coaches voted DMac the MV Offensive Player in The SEC and the Writers voted Tebow the Heisman, which award is valid and which is a fraud? Who are the most knowledgeable voters?

BTW, Smith from Ohio State, I'm not finding his name in any BOX SCORES on SUNDAY.

You need to remember these are the same writers that wanted the NC to be either Ohio State or Michigan last year. Infact they believe it should be Ohio State or Michigan every year.

You mean they wanted it to be Michigan and Ohio state.  They are just a bunch of yankees paid to spew diarrhea from their mouths.
"I became insane, with long intervals of horrible sanity." ― Edgar Allan Poe
"If quantum mechanics hasn't profoundly shocked you, you haven't understood it yet. Everything we call real is made of things that cannot be regarded as real." – Niels Bohr
"A mind stretched to a new idea, never returns to its original dimensions" ~ Oliver Wendell Holmes
Quote from: PonderinHog on August 07, 2023, 06:37:15 pmYeah, we're all here, but we ain't all there.

yraciv

Quote from: hawkeyefan17 on December 10, 2007, 12:55:07 am
Where was the heisman campaign by the University of Arkanas for Mcfadden? There wasn't one, this year or last. If there has been anyone in the history of the heisman trophy that deserved his university getting behind him and pushing him for the heisman it was Darren McFadden.

I guess you didn't check out 5darrenmcfadden.com.  Actually Mark May and Lou Holtz both agreed that Darren was the best promoted Heisman candidate.

STRILE

Get over it guys.  Move on.  Tebow deserved the trophy.  DMAC stood a better chance last year, and if you're going to complain it should be about last year.  Darren didn't go all out every game this year and it cost him.  Try to be objective.
"Strile is critical to Hogville.  He accounts for 0.00077% of all posts"  anonymous moderator

havok

DMAC totally deserved it...  Tebow didn't have anywhere near the obstacle Darren had to overcome...an obstacle that has the initials of "Houston Dork Nutt".

peakhog

Quote from: yraciv on December 10, 2007, 02:00:46 am
I guess you didn't check out 5darrenmcfadden.com.  Actually Mark May and Lou Holtz both agreed that Darren was the best promoted Heisman candidate.

Let's see. A nicely done web page with a search engine rating of 8.5 vs. ESPN "Total Tebow" coverage. I think that is why Tebow won the Heisman Espy!

ua131313

First let me preface this with I am and always will be a hog fan!

The bias Lives HERE!!! In AR, In FL, In HI, In Mo..... Everyone thinks their guy should win!

What is wrong with you people???

The heisman is what it is?? To even think Tebow or McFadden should win is crazy! 3 and 4 loss teams with candidates to win the heisman??? At least they are in the front running against a 2 loss QB(Chase Daniels) one of which was in a Conf Championship and a 0 loss QB (Colt Brennan) who posted crazy numbers for four straight years!

Tebow set many records this year in a superior conference, yes...but still had three losses.

McFadden..yes he did better than last year statistcally speaking but had 3 terrible games against Tenn., Ala., and Auburn.

Big time players rise above and carry their teams to wins in those games! That is what wins the heisman.

As far as the comments about the population diff between AR and FL?? If you guys that wrote that statement would sit back and think about that... Yes Florida is a lot more populated than AR but they also have 2/3 of the state that hate the Gators and would not want Tebow to win! Also factor the people who don't care about football and the other schools in FL (UCF, USF,U of M,FSU) and you have equal grounds again to AR's one major school that the majority (95% of the state) supports.

It's merely an award.... Awards are over rated and only opinions.. Look at the play when they get to the NFL and everyone is the best of the best!! There's you're winner!!

p.s.  Scoop! If you're going to write an article about Bias Lives Here! and follow it up with a statement of you would have given your vote to Tebow..then maybe you should make a decision about whether your story has any merit afterall!

hogsanity

This way, ESPN can push Tebow for the back to back campaign, which has only happened once before.  FLA stands to be better next year, as their defense matures, and this will give them something to hype.  Also, they can spend all year comparing QB's.
People ask me what I do in winter when there is no baseball.  I will tell you what I do. I stare out the window, and I wait for spring.

"Anything goes wrong, anything at all, your fault, my fault, nobodies fault, I'm going to blow your head off."  John Wayne in BIG JAKE

Hoggurl1964

Tell you what, read the back page of Today's Arkansas Dem sports page.  Look at the article written by Ken Davis of msnbc.com.  He's no homer for either Arkansas or Florida. I think his assessment of the Heisman race sums it up quite nicely.

DeltaBoy

Damc will be making Millions while Pretty Boy TEBOW will be in the studio on ESPN with  Matt Leinart another Heisman winner.
If the South should lose, it means that the history of the heroic struggle will be written by the enemy, that our youth will be trained by Northern school teachers, will be impressed by all of the influences of history and education to regard our gallant dead as traitors and our maimed veterans as fit subjects for derision.
-- Major General Patrick Cleburne
The Confederacy had no better soldiers
than the Arkansans--fearless, brave, and oftentimes courageous beyond
prudence. Dickart History of Kershaws Brigade.

pikehog

Quote from: PulledPork on December 09, 2007, 12:56:29 pm
I am just happy in the fact that Darren will become a premier player in the "other'' league.  We all know how well, Gino Toretta, Charlie Ward, Troy Smith, Andre Ware did in the "other" league.  That will be good enough for me!!

PP

Will he be a premier player like Reggie Bush? 2 years in and we are still waiting for his break out game. It is a lot harder to be a running back in the NFL than in college. I hope D-Mac does great, but will have to wait and see if it happens.

One thing to ponder is this: Had D-mac won, the Floridia boards would be awash in complaints that Tebow lost only because he was a sophmore.

There can be only one winner and everybody up there was deserving and all of their fans are just as po'd that they did not win as well.

Let it go, it's all subjective by the voters, and therefore will always be prone to bias of many kinds.

My vote for the most classless part was when HDN refused to applaud Tebow. What a baby I am so glad he is gone.

softballguy8

My guess is in 10 years, when DMac is a seasoned veteran in the NFL (and worth millions), he won't think twice about not winning this award. He will play much longer and be much more effective than Tebow on the next level.

Nothing against Tebow. He's a quality young man and will represent the trophy well for years to come. But McFadden will be a common name in the NFL for years to come.

Let's move on. I'm ready to see him on Sundays.
Coach Petrino ... Welcome to Arkansas!

mlloyd4

What a bittersweet season.  The LSU win almost becomes meaningless as Nutt leaves and LSU is still in the BCS Championship.  But, the win did catapult McFadden back into the Heisman race that many said was too far gone for him to win weeks before.

The ESPN slant however is overrated, and these guys don't deserve such a dubious credit.  In most cases, even 3 to 4 weeks out, Tebow was showing the lead in the polls.  All ESPN did was follow polls; the winner was already picked

The fact that McFadden had the highest return of votes of any other 2nd place finish in the history of the Heisman shows just how special McFadden really is.  Had we beat Auburn or won at Neyland, McFadden would have likely won. 

Tebow was deserving of the award also, and in the end he got more votes.  The fact that the best player in D1 didn't win the award (again) is no surprise.  The fact that he almost did, despite the difficult season, speaks volumes.
WPS

kcabrozaR

The correct player was picked, and it will not cost McFadden one cent next year.

Seems to be more than a little bias around here also.
WE EAT SAWDUST WE CRAP LOGS WE AIN'T NOTHING BUT MEAN ASS HOGS
          Do not argue with an idiot, people watching may not notice the difference!

RazorJess

I must say, I got so sick of hearing about the miraculous boy Tebow.  It seemed like every announcer on ESPN (and other places) were glorifying him every chance they got.  I am dreading next year with the "Can he win Heisman two years in a row?" hoopla that will no doubt surround him.

That being said, McFadden can buy his own Heisman statue with the millions he's about to make.  Or, better yet, buy a box of them -- only made with chocolate! 

Good luck, DMac!  Make your money, enjoy being Arkansas' VIP, know that you are the better man because you played to win for all Razobacks and not just to win yourself a statue.  (Referencing Tebow's inflated stats on running the ball in from the redzone the majority of the time)
Not all that is gold glitters, not all who wander are lost.

HotlantaHog

Did anyone else think that Tebow's frequent, lengthy crediting of Jesus seemed a bit, um, inappropriate for the occasion? While I can't be sure, I am doubtful that He had divine intervention into the balloting or the Gators' season.
   I think it is great when you see athletes leading by example, i.e., showing humility, crediting their teammates and showing a committment to the outside world and community, such as visiting sick kids, elderly, etc. There just seemed something a little intangible, over the top that rubbed me the wrong way. Tebow is the miracle baby whose love of God propels him to be the first Heisman winner ever as a soph. Probably sour grapes on my part. (And I am sure Tebow is a great guy.) Obviously, it would have been fine to make those comments in a church -- not sure it was appropriate for the Heisman ceremony.

pikehog

Quote from: HotlantaHog on December 10, 2007, 12:53:31 pm
   Did anyone else think that Tebow's frequent, lengthy crediting of Jesus seemed a bit, um, inappropriate for the occasion? While I can't be sure, I am doubtful that He had divine intervention into the balloting or the Gators' season.
   I think it is great when you see athletes leading by example, i.e., showing humility, crediting their teammates and showing a committment to the outside world and community, such as visiting sick kids, elderly, etc. There just seemed something a little intangible, over the top that rubbed me the wrong way. Tebow is the miracle baby whose love of God propels him to be the first Heisman winner ever as a soph. Probably sour grapes on my part. (And I am sure Tebow is a great guy.) Obviously, it would have been fine to make those comments in a church -- not sure it was appropriate for the Heisman ceremony.

Tebow is the son of missionaries, but definition they are evangelical, meaning that they actively spread the word of God. I am sure Tim was brought up the same way. Of course he is going to give glory to God and talk about Him when he has a national stage.

I do not remember him claiming divine intervention, I remember him thanking God for his family, his abilities and those around him. I don't recall him saying God caused him to be the first sophmore to win it.

I think that God was focused on to a great degree in his acceptance and in the personal story because God is a large part of who Tim is.

I think you are right, it is sour grapes on your part.

TrueBlue

Steve Spurrier voted D-Mac 4th? Is he nuts? Or is he just spiteful?

Or is he just protecting his Alma Mater?