Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

For the people who wanted Billy G isntead of Pelphrey...

Started by MountieDawg, December 08, 2007, 05:30:01 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

MountieDawg

YOU WERE SO WRONG!!!   Billy G is awful...  turn on the tv and watch Billy G destroy the Kentucky Program!!!
SEC!

jep_hog_fan

HotGrits

Only thing that scares me about him sucking so bad is that when they fire him Pel will leave us and go back to his alma mater
I\'m just a clever visual metaphor that personafies the concept of abstract thought.

btaylor2404

UK will be fine, he did'nt forget how to coach overnight.

Rsvlhog

Quote from: btaylor2404 on December 08, 2007, 05:38:12 pm
UK will be fine, he did'nt forget how to coach overnight.

Your probably right. It's still fun to watch though. Speaking of fine is Ashley Judd there?
Quote from: threeNout

I still have images of JFB, holding a shotgun behind Altman, ala Deliverance,

"Go on boy, you call them Hogs, you call 'em good"

carlyle513

[YOU WERE SO WRONG!!!   Billy G is awful...  turn on the tv and watch Billy G destroy the Kentucky Program!!!quote][/quote]

This is one of the dumber posts ive ever seen on here.  Do a little research on Gillespies record at TAMU, also he didnt build this UK team, the Minnesota coach did.

One game does not make a coach, especially in BB.

Rzrbckr

Quote from: MountieDawg on December 08, 2007, 05:30:01 pm
YOU WERE SO WRONG!!!   Billy G is awful...  turn on the tv and watch Billy G destroy the Kentucky Program!!!
There is always a reason a coach takes a lateral move or in this case a downgrade. Usually because they do not feel good about the next year and want to get out while they can still get a decent job.

cpahog213

Are you kidding me?  The CBS commentator called the KY team a disappointment.  This is not one game.  Wonder what Tubby would have done this season?

D Ive Wright

YOU WERE SO WRONG!!!   Billy G is awful...  turn on the tv and watch Billy G destroy the Kentucky Program!!!
Your an idiot.

Rsvlhog

Quote from: threeNout

I still have images of JFB, holding a shotgun behind Altman, ala Deliverance,

"Go on boy, you call them Hogs, you call 'em good"

Lanny

"It's only a game if you win but if you lose it's a stinking waste of time."

Al Bundy

jep_hog_fan

Quote from: carlyle513 on December 08, 2007, 05:41:35 pm
     One game does not make a coach, especially in BB.

One game??? You forget he lost to GARDNER WEBB, AT HOME????

Hollywood_HOGan45

UK's cupboard is bare.

no talent there this year.

they will be okay

W_KY_Hog

JMartin_AF1

His he awful or is Kentucky rebuilding this year? Don't forget, our football team will be rebuilding next year even if we hired Bear Bryant...

Hoggish1

YOU WERE SO WRONG!!!   Billy G is awful...  turn on the tv and watch Billy G destroy the Kentucky Program!!!

His style is to break everybody down so he can build them up in his image.  Just doesn't work in this era of using super frosh and relying on them heavily.  The UK brass and fans have already realized it.  My fear is they will come after Pel at season's end.

The Hawg Marshal

I think its a little early to say he is destroying the program.

ark30inf

Quote from: HotGrits on December 08, 2007, 05:36:57 pm
Only thing that scares me about him sucking so bad is that when they fire him Pel will leave us and go back to his alma mater

That would be a bad move.  As emotional as it is to return to the alma mater...he should think about the risk.  He is already an icon there....untarnished.  They will love him forever and ever.  But if he goes back as head coach and doesn't do well?  He has erased his previous accomplishments and is remembered for the bad coaching gig.  He should build his icon at another place first.  If he goes back to Kentucky with a NC at some other school first then thats fine.

dougieritch

I love Big Blue sucking!  Billy G can recruit and I'm sure most of us (including me) wanted him over Pel, but I'm happy the way the cards fell, we have an excellent coach...has be excited about Basketball again!

Go HOGS, Go Pel!

blacksuit

Quote from: ark30inf on December 08, 2007, 06:26:10 pm
That would be a bad move.  As emotional as it is to return to the alma mater...he should think about the risk.  He is already an icon there....untarnished.  They will love him forever and ever.  But if he goes back as head coach and doesn't do well?  He has erased his previous accomplishments and is remembered for the bad coaching gig.  He should build his icon at another place first.  If he goes back to Kentucky with a NC at some other school first then thats fine.

I can think of two points that keep me from worrying about losing Pel. He doesn't seem like the type to bail on a job after a couple of years (and there are very few jobs that are an upgrade), and Kentucky didn't shell out the big bucks for BG to run him off after a year or two or three. Part of his appeal is that his teams get better each year, and they'll give him a chance to show that.

Calling All Hogs

KU is flat out not executing. Is that bad coaching? Well, let me put it this way. Pel would probably have their butts in a 100 + decree
gym running an up tempo practice! (probably have to use a turned up heater now LOL)

razordan

Hope they don't come after Pel in a couple of years.

Fatty McGee

Dumb thing to say.  It's the guy's first year, and he recruited none of those players.  Not to mention that two starters aren't playing.
Bandit: Hey wait a minute, wait a minute. Why do you want that beer so bad?
Little Enos: Cause he's thirsty, dummy!

discombobulationist

I don't think one game or even this season will prove anything about UK, but I did think it was odd that he had them practicing really hard the morning of the Gardner Webb game. I've never heard of a coach doing that on game day before.
Quote from: Dwight_K_Shrute on September 05, 2014, 02:17:08 pmISIS could be overrunning your city and Rick would talk about how nice it is to have new neighbors.

Singha Hog

Billy G and Kentucky will be fine.  Nolan didn't exactly set the world on fire his first two years and that worked out alright.  I disagree with one of the previous posters saying to give a basketball coach 4 years to see what he can do.  In basketball you should have a good idea after year #3.  Ok 3 years vs. 4 isn't much of a difference; but sometimes it's only 2 years before you see the changes.  Much different than football.

Wild Bill Hog

Quote from: Fatty McGee on December 08, 2007, 07:47:44 pm
Dumb thing to say.  It's the guy's first year, and he recruited none of those players.  Not to mention that two starters aren't playing.

KY fans will not be pleasant with a bad or mediocre season; however, they know the shape of the program post-Tubby.  BG will get their program back to prominence fairly quickly.

TRUHOG718

December 08, 2007, 08:26:32 pm #26 Last Edit: December 08, 2007, 08:37:52 pm by TRUHOG718
First off Pel was not even on our list when we were going after BG so how can you say those who wanted him over Pel. Everyone on this board with any sense of bball wanted BG. he passed and we lucked up with Pel after many other big names turned us down.

We are all happy with who we ended up with but dont be foolish and think BCG will not have Kentucky back to their old self in no time. Also since you posted this I have to ask.  DID YOU ever post I want John Pelphrey when we were going after BCG?  If so pull it up so I can see it. If not id like to know who you wanted to be our coach when Heath was fired?   This thread is foolish.
http://www.sicollection.com/assets/images/nolan_richardson_300.jpg

One Day. We Will Be Back. I Promise You This.

Hogtropolis™

Quote from: CallMeHog on December 08, 2007, 07:04:37 pm
KU is flat out not executing. Is that bad coaching? Well, let me put it this way. Pel would probably have their butts in a 100 + decree
gym running an up tempo practice! (probably have to use a turned up heater now LOL)
I thought we were talking about Kentucky, not Kansas? ???

Dr Swineglove

This UK team is talent-poor and also the players are having a very tough time adjusting to the new system.  The 'Cats will be fine once Billy G gets his players in - he can recruit rings around Tubby, and Billy G also proved he can coach by building a fine program at TAMU.

I'm very happy with Coach Pel.  I think the Hogs have an outside shot at a Sweet 16 (or better) this season.  Pel's recruiting so far has been incredible, and his gameday coaching is just as good if not better.  I also love how Pel keeps his ego in check - he hired one of the very the best assistant coaches in college bball with Rob Evans, and that gives our coaching staff the perfect balance of both youthful drive & energy, as well the wisdom that comes from long experience.
Prefrontal lobotomies are not to be performed without the written consent of the patient

Nashville Fan

Seems like UK has only one guy that can shoot but he turns the ball over constantly. Not a good combo for winning.
Pittman or Bust!

31to6

Nobody wanted Billy G instead of Pelphrey. Pelphrey wasn't even on the radar when Gillispie sextoned us.

HawgG

Quote from: Dr Swineglove on December 08, 2007, 11:09:08 pm

Pel's recruiting so far has been incredible, and his gameday coaching is just as good if not better.  I also love how Pel keeps his ego in check -

Dr Swineglove

December 09, 2007, 09:46:07 am #32 Last Edit: December 09, 2007, 10:17:26 am by Dr Swineglove
Quote from: HawgG on December 09, 2007, 05:46:23 am

OK... and who would you have suggested he recruit, in lieu of the six he signed?

Just posting an emoticon does not constitute a coherent argument, my friend -
How about offering us just a dab of your well-reasoned expert insight in support of
your evident opinion?

I'll go first here and try to back up my case for Coach Pelphrey being a great recruiter.
Rival's ranks the fall class as the #14 in the country - and they're only considering/ranking half
our class, as three of the six are jr college and prep school players.  Bob Gibbons ranks the class #6.  I think
that's a pretty fair effort from a man who this time last year was still unpacking boxes.  Also, the class fills needs - three big men, three guards - not the sort of front court heavy classes we often had under
Heath.

Stan Heath never recruited a decent PG to Arkansas, apart from Ferguson (and he was not a true PG, I might add). Coach Pelphrey has three stud PG's signed for next season (two of them true PG's).  Not to shabby there... Now your turn, and please don't resort to posting just a flaming emoticon.
Prefrontal lobotomies are not to be performed without the written consent of the patient

HawgG

Quote from: Dr Swineglove on December 09, 2007, 09:46:07 am
OK... and who would you have suggested he recruit, in lieu of the six he signed?

Just posting an emoticon does not constitute a coherent argument, my friend -
How about offering us just a dab of your well-reasoned expert insight in support of
your evident opinion?

I'll go first here and try to back up my case for Coach Pelphrey being a great recruiter.
Rival's ranks the fall class as the #14 in the country - and they're only considering/ranking half
our class, as three of the six are jr college and prep school players.  Bob Gibbons ranks the class #6.  I think
that's a pretty fair effort from a man who this time last year was still unpacking boxes.  Also, the class fills needs - three big men, three guards - not the sort of front court heavy classes we often had under
Heath.

Stan Heath never recruited a decent PG to Arkansas, apart from Ferguson (and he was not a true PG, I might add). Coach Pelphrey has three stud PG's signed for next season (two of them true PG's).  Not to shabby there... Now your turn, and please don't resort to posting just a flaming emoticon.

All I have an answer for the recruiting ranking statement you gave by which I myself said deserves a B grade.

Now please give me a statement about this,"his gameday coaching is just as good if not better"
and I'll see what cross examination I can come up with later as it is time for me to sign off for now.

blacksuit

Quote from: HawgG on December 09, 2007, 01:39:07 pm
All I have an answer for the recruiting ranking statement you gave by which I myself said deserves a B grade.

Now please give me a statement about this,"his gameday coaching is just as good if not better"
and I'll see what cross examination I can come up with later as it is time for me to sign off for now.

14th ranked class in the nation:

http://basketballrecruiting.rivals.com/content.asp?CID=744502#rank

No way to get higher than that without getting a top 25 player, one of those one year wonder types. Hopefully we'll get to the point where we can contend for those players.

Dr Swineglove

December 09, 2007, 08:03:18 pm #35 Last Edit: December 10, 2007, 12:28:18 am by Dr Swineglove
Quote from: HawgG on December 09, 2007, 01:39:07 pm

It's rather absurd, or else negatively biased to give the recruiting class a "B" when it is ranked somewhere between #6-14 in the nation - well within the upper ten percentile of major conference recruiting classes.  But I guess you must know better, right?   ::)

Regarding the game day coaching, I'm sure you have not failed to notice that the Hogs have  consistently played better in the second half than the first half so far this season.  That did not happen hardly at all last season, with largely the same group of players.  Better play in the second half speaks of better conditioning relative to the opposition, and of effective adjustments at half-time.  This in turn is largely attributable to coaching. 

So far this season the Hogs have made effective use of timeouts; they've used them to run effective inbounds plays, make defensive adjustments or a critical substitution - not the sort of WTH? time outs we've become accustomed to seeing called at Razorback games.

Pelphrey commands his players respect - for example, this time last season, Darian Townes was a bust and was having a pronounced negative effect on overall team chemistry.  This year Towns is shaping up to be one of the team's best leaders and most improved players.  An abrupt turn around such as this clearly reflects on the coaching staff in general, and ultimately, the head coach (as well as Townes himself, of course).

The Missouri game in particular demonstrated Pelphrey's very able coaching - unless we assume Mike Anderson, whom we're comparing Pelphrey to in this case, to be a mediocre coach.  The Tigers kept pressing the Hogs, expecting them to break - Missouri relentlessly attacked Arkansas' weakest position, PG.  Pelphrey made numerous adjustments and personnel changes to limit turnovers, finishing +1 on TO margin against a stifling defense heavily geared towards forcing turnovers.

The Hogs played smart.  They were generally successful at breaking a stifling press, often passing over the defense, or coming back to the ball to help out the ball handler.  Anderson kept mixing up the defenses, Nolan Richardson-fashion, and Pelphrey kept adjusting to it.  The Hogs consistently avoided the trap at mid court, and when the double team came, the ball handler routinely kicked the ball out in the direction of the double teaming defensive player's approach, setting our players up for open shots - one of the critical jumpers the Hogs hit down the stretch was scored by beating a Missouri double team in just this fashion.  These were textbook examples of how to beat an aggressive, pressing defense, and that was due to coaching.  And it was just this sort of defense that consistently made the very same Razorback players look very bad at times last season, such as in last years Missouri game, a game the Tigers won 89-61.

Last year, Arkansas consistently lost to teams that forced the tempo, due to poor conditioning.  So far this season, it has been Arkansas that has "fresh legs" at the end of the game.

I'm not saying Pelphrey has proven anything yet.  But, I am a die-hard Razorback fan who has attended the great majority of Hog home games over the last twenty-nine seasons.  I liked Stan Heath, and greatly wanted to see the Hogs be successful under him.  But after five years of enduring Heath ball, I was ready to see the man go; I was sick of seeing the Hogs consistently blow late leads, get beaten badly by pressing teams, go dead cold for many minutes at a time, and generally demonstrate poor team chemistry, often performing as less than the sum of the teams parts.  I was to the point of either giving up my season tickets or else start smuggling in Wild Turkey in order to help myself better cope with the inevitable late run by the opposing team, and the effete play-not-to lose coaching Heath would consistently demonstrate.  So far this season, I've been quite impressed by Pelphrey and his staff and I am now optimistic about the future of Hog basketball for the first time in 8-9 years.

P.S. - don't let your rake hit you in the head when you respond.

kcstar

Remember how so many of our rival fans called us the laughing stock of college basketball because of having to go to our seventh choice? 

I believe Coach Pel is the right man and I also believe that we Hog fans may just have the last laugh.

Granted it is still early and if they can win on the road we are headed back to national prominence within the next year or two.

Pignominious

Quote from: Dr Swineglove on December 09, 2007, 08:03:18 pm
It's laughably absurd to give the recruiting class a "B" when it is ranked somewhere between #6-14 in the nation - well within the upper ten percentile of major conference recruiting classes.  But I guess you must know better, right?   ::)

Regarding the game day coaching, I'm sure you have not failed to notice that the Hogs have  consistently played better in the second half than the first half so far this season.  That did not happen hardly at all last season, with largely the same group of players.  Better play in the second half speaks of better conditioning relative to the opposition, and of effective adjustments at half-time.  This in turn is largely attributable to coaching. 

So far this season the Hogs have made effective use of timeouts; they've used them to run effective inbounds plays, make defensive adjustments or a critical substitution - not the sort of WTH? time outs we've become accustomed to seeing called at Razorback games.

Pelphrey commands his players respect - for example, this time last season, Darian Townes was a bust and was having a pronounced negative effect on overall team chemistry.  This year Towns is shaping up to be one of the team's best leaders and most improved players.  An abrupt turn around such as this clearly reflects on the coaching staff in general, and ultimately, the head coach (as well as Townes himself, of course).

The Missouri game in particular demonstrated Pelphrey's very able coaching - unless we assume Mike Anderson, whom we're comparing Pelphrey to in this case, to be a mediocre coach.  The Tigers kept pressing the Hogs, expecting them to break - Missouri relentlessly attacked Arkansas' weakest position, PG.  Pelphrey made numerous adjustments and personnel changes to limit turnovers.  The Hogs played smart, were generally successful at breaking a stifling press, often passing over the press, or coming back to the ball to help out the ball handler.  Anderson kept mixing up the defenses, Nolan Richardson-fashion, and Pelphrey kept adjusting to it.  The Hogs consistently avoided the trap at mid court, and when the double team came, the ball handler routinely kicked the ball out in the direction of the double teaming defensive player's approach, setting our players up for open shots.  These were textbook examples of how to beat an aggressive, pressing defense - a defense of the same sort that consistently made the very same Razorback players look very bad at times just last season, such as in last years Missouri game, a game the Tigers won 89-61.

Last year, Arkansas consistently lost to teams that forced the tempo, due to poor conditioning.  So far this season, it has been Arkansas that has "fresh legs" at the end of the game.

I'm not saying Pelphrey has proven anything yet.  But, I am a die-hard Razorback fan who has attended the great majority of Hog home games over the last twenty-nine seasons.  I liked Stan Heath, and greatly wanted to see the Hogs be successful under him.  But after five years of enduring Heath ball, I was ready to see the man go; I was sick of seeing the Hogs consistently blow late leads, get beaten badly by pressing teams, go dead cold for many minutes at a time, and generally demonstrate poor team chemistry, often performing as less than the sum of the teams parts.  I was to the point of either giving up my season tickets or else start smuggling in Wild Turkey in order to help myself better cope with the inevitable late run by the opposing team, and the effete play-not-to lose coaching Heath would consistently demonstrate.  So far this season, I've been quite impressed by Pelphrey and his staff and I am now optimistic about the future of Hog basketball for the first time in 8-9 years.

+1  Couldn't agree more.
Ray Biggers' third cousin.

blacksuit

Good post Swineglove.

The one that sticks out in my mind was the Tennessee game where we couldn't inbound the ball. This team won't have that problem, and it's all because of better coaching.

wholehog92

It's rather absurd, or else negatively biased to give the recruiting class a "B" when it is ranked somewhere between #6-14 in the nation - well within the upper ten percentile of major conference recruiting classes.  But I guess you must know better, right?   ::)

The Missouri game in particular demonstrated Pelphrey's very able coaching - unless we assume Mike Anderson, whom we're comparing Pelphrey to in this case, to be a mediocre coach.  The Tigers kept pressing the Hogs, expecting them to break - Missouri relentlessly attacked Arkansas' weakest position, PG.  Pelphrey made numerous adjustments and personnel changes to limit turnovers, finishing +1 on TO margin against a stifling defense heavily geared towards forcing turnovers.

The Hogs played smart.  They were generally successful at breaking a stifling press, often passing over the defense, or coming back to the ball to help out the ball handler.  Anderson kept mixing up the defenses, Nolan Richardson-fashion, and Pelphrey kept adjusting to it.  The Hogs consistently avoided the trap at mid court, and when the double team came, the ball handler routinely kicked the ball out in the direction of the double teaming defensive player's approach, setting our players up for open shots - one of the critical jumpers the Hogs hit down the stretch was scored by beating a Missouri double team in just this fashion.  These were textbook examples of how to beat an aggressive, pressing defense, and that was due to coaching.  And it was just this sort of defense that consistently made the very same Razorback players look very bad at times last season, such as in last years Missouri game, a game the Tigers won 89-61.

Quite a well thought out post and argument in response to a guy that just threw up a couple of cute little rake smashers.  One other thing I pointed out a couple of weeks back was the final 5 minutes of the game.  We seem to fight all the way to the end now instead of allowing our lead to vanish or let a close game get away.  This is the mental toughness lacking from the program under Heath.  Of course conditioning helps.
My personal list of trolls so that I can remember not to reply to them:  Pigs Been Fly, gohogsgo006, hanksampson, no3putts, HarryGoat, Oxbaker, Olmissbydamn, LocalHawg, Thatguy, Masterhog, servicesupport, Razorhawg09, Big Poppa Z,  $100 Handshake, Poloprince.

List of folks that reasonable conversation will not happen:  Iron Hog, Jman, hognot, Solomwi, hogfan1111x, pigzwillrise.

Favorite Posters:  WilsonHog, Tomhog, Muskogeehog, Razorfox, TammayTom, razorback3072, bennyl08.

spudhog

billy g was not handed a full plate. i am not sure he's grasping the magnitude of coaching at uk. you think we are bad on hdn, they flip out over everything. i must admit, i wanted gillespie but now that we got pelphrey, i would rather swim with him.

Dr Swineglove

Quote from: wholehog92 on December 10, 2007, 11:58:30 am
Quite a well thought out post and argument in response to a guy that just threw up a couple of cute little rake smashers.  One other thing I pointed out a couple of weeks back was the final 5 minutes of the game.  We seem to fight all the way to the end now instead of allowing our lead to vanish or let a close game get away.  This is the mental toughness lacking from the program under Heath.  Of course conditioning helps.

Thanks Wholehog - of course you're right about the mental toughness.  I and most of the rest of the crowd went dead quite when Missouri gained the lead late, all of us thinking we were watching Heath ball all over again.  Instead, our team fought through it - great mental toughness, as you said.

gettinpiggywithit

It's rather absurd, or else negatively biased to give the recruiting class a "B" when it is ranked somewhere between #6-14 in the nation - well within the upper ten percentile of major conference recruiting classes.  But I guess you must know better, right?   ::)

Nice. I am extremely pumped about this team as well.  Great Post

Let those who do, do. Let those who spew, spew.

TRUHOG718

http://www.sicollection.com/assets/images/nolan_richardson_300.jpg

One Day. We Will Be Back. I Promise You This.

HogMavFan

How can Kentucky be so "down" when they have top 15 recruiting classes every year?
Look at Florida. They are 9-1 and they lost everybody...but they have a great coach.

rhinohog84

I hope the same is true of our football team.  So glad we didn't get TT or Bowden.  Hopefully, we will get someone who wants to prove themselves and has pride in their job.  GO HOGS