Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Confused about the Spread Offense or HUNH Offense Click Here

Started by HogsWellThenEndsWell, December 08, 2007, 05:20:18 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Pignutx32

Quote from: deltahogfan on December 09, 2007, 09:51:59 am
Lot of sarcasm here. Just wait. The Nuttster will run a wide open offense at Ole Miss. (please note sarcasm)

I feel ya.....it's sad that on Hogville a person has to warn people multiple times that they are going to use sarcasm!  It seems like people would understand after 10 years of Nutball, the people would be a little jaded and sarcastic!

MCPeePants

Quote from: cthawg on December 08, 2007, 07:48:43 pm
We run a spread. we run a spread we run a spread we run a spread. WE RUN A SPREAD FORMATION!

For cryin' out loud. No - we don't (other than to the extent the WildHog is a spread formation).

The base offense, with Dick at QB and either D-Mac or FJ at HB, normally contains a FB and a TE lined up next to one of the tackles. 2 WRs split out. That, by definition,  is not a spread formation. 

HAWGTROT

Quote from: HogsWellThenEndsWell on December 08, 2007, 05:46:41 pm
I am a workaholic by some people's definitions.  I work from usually 8 a.m. to around 6 p.m. everyday.  I go home I spend time with my family and then go back to office after putting my 4 year old to bed.   I usually then work till around Mindinght to 2 in the morning then back to the house for some sleep.  (WOW you say that is a lot of hours in the week)  I spend time in the office on the weekends as well almost every weekend.  With that being said I love my job. I have fun with what I do for a living.  I have been told I am pretty good at it.  I am at the office right now "taking a break" to read Hogville and see what other hog fans are thinking, as well as catch up on the coaching search.

I say this to make a point....the point is "IT IS NOT WORK TO ME" it is FUN!  I love what I do, and the high tech toys I get to play with.  I am an Engineer for a Networking Equipment Manufacturer who's network and telephony solutions are awesome and second to none in the industry.  I LIKE IT, and I am very blessed to have a career that pays me for doing something that I love doing.

The second point is this....Gus is the same way....he LOVES what he does and the effect of that is he is good at it.

WPS,

HogsWell
Boy, you hit the nail on the head here. Houston's favorite motto was "Work from daylight to exhaustion" What I want to know, is where did he find time to sleep until daylight? I know an assistant who works for Guss and he is only home enough to change shorts and go back to break down more film.

Everyone in the nation is laughing at Arkansas right now about this coaching search. If we higher Malzahn that would just escalate so White and Long think. By the middle of November 2008 Long would be perceived as a genius for hiring Malzahn. Just my opinion.

tophawg19

our base offense is the power I formation and has been for years . and no this is not a spread , just the opposite
if you ain't a hawg you ain't chitlins

HoginBigD

Quote from: cthawg on December 08, 2007, 06:12:48 pm
We ran a spread all year. the formation creates mismatches that is why we ran effectively out of it all year. the problem with running from the spread every time especially with a run heavy offense as we are, is that as a result of the motion and sweeps the tendency is to run east and west not north and south. That is why having a mobile QB is the most important aspect of a spread.

Tennessee beat us because their defense widened out the linebackers and caught the sweep. we didnt run an effective counter off the sweep. game over.

LSU, DMAC ran the counter effectively on the first touchdown. It is the same sort of read option that Vince young ran a t texas pat white runs at WVU and tebow scores on from inside the ten. no we dont throw the ball. it is play calling not the formation. we run a spread. we ran a spread. a run heavy version of the SPREAD.
To run the spread, it will start with recruiting. We need some receivers that can catch the ball. We need a QB that can pass and run. Look any offense can work at any school. You must get the right people, have chemistry, repetion in practice. I know in practice Gus made Springdale run plays over and over to get it right. Gus needs more time in the college ranks and work up to a BCS school as coordinator or as head coach of a Tulsa, Houston, etc. Experience will make him a better coach with a better chance to succeed which gives him a better chance to last long term as a head coach.

HoginBigD

Quote from: HAWGTROT on December 09, 2007, 11:22:24 am
Boy, you hit the nail on the head here. Houston's favorite motto was "Work from daylight to exhaustion" What I want to know, is where did he find time to sleep until daylight? I know an assistant who works for Guss and he is only home enough to change shorts and go back to break down more film.

Everyone in the nation is laughing at Arkansas right now about this coaching search. If we higher Malzahn that would just escalate so White and Long think. By the middle of November 2008 Long would be perceived as a genius for hiring Malzahn. Just my opinion.
Your opinion stinks

BleednRed87

good post. Only thing is that USC doesn't run anywhere near the same offense as Florida. Don't they go under center every single time? Where as most spread offenses are all shotgun every time. I didn't think they went no huddle either but they very well could, I'm not sure. The only thing they do similar I guess is come out with 4 wr's, so I guess they do "spread" out the defense..

Animal-374

Good post. Gus is the most talented OC available that is a true razorback . Why is hiring him not a no brainer? Is HDN still telling people who they can be freinds with? NMke the call and hire gus

brutus

Donny2665

This life's hard, but it's harder if you're stupid.~George V.Higgins

Ignorance is a voluntary misfortune!~Nicolas Ling

Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and then beat you with experience.~Mark Twain

Donny2665

Quote from: HogsWellThenEndsWell on December 08, 2007, 05:20:18 pm
I just wanted to get this off my chest.  There seems to be a few hog fans that have this 1960's mentality on how football should be played.  They either don't take the time to understand or just want to get a rise out of the fans that do understand how a spread offense or a HUNH offense would benefit the program.  So I thought I would just jot down some facts that may be escaping some of you so that you can educate yourself.

Misconception #1

The Spread or HUNH Offense is “Throwing the Ball all over the field”

FALSE: The Spread Offense is designed to simply spread the defense out so they can not focus on any one person in an offensive scheme.

The HUNH addition to a spread offense is simply moving the huddle to the line of scrimmage so that you see what the defense is giving you and then take it.  (Could be run or pass).  This shifts the advantage to the offense as if the defense appears to be selling out on a blitz then they can call the appropriate play (Run or Pass) to mitigate its effects (just one example)

Misconception #2 (Close to #1 but not quite)

A Spread Offense usually passes more than they run. 

FALSE (If Gus is calling the plays)

See: http://web1.ncaa.org/d1mfb/2007/Internet/recaps/2007000000719.HTML

Tulsa Ran the Ball 523 times this year and had 517 pass attempts.  In a conversation with a fellow razorback last night he told me that Tulsa throws the ball more than they run.  I informed him that he was wrong.  He then went on to tell me that he watched Tulsa play every chance he got.  I had to then pull up the NCAA stats to show him that he was among the ones in the Arkansas fan base that when seeing a team throw the ball EVEN CLOSE to the same # of times that they run the ball that their mind perceives this a throwing more than passing.  Which is understandable because when we see 150 yards passing and your OC comments that this is “what he hopes for every game” it is  obvious the Razorback Coaches striving for mediocrity as usual.

Misconception # 3

If you run a Spread Offense or HUNH offense you can not run the ball as effective as in run oriented offense. 

FALSE

You actually can run the ball more effectively with less talent, more talent = Greater Production.  Perfect example of this is TT and the Florida Gators.  I think we can all agree that while TT is a good player he isn’t even close to the physical runner that DMAC is.  He was able to run the ball out of the spread offense with virtually NO TALENT at their running back spots this year out of the Spread Offense.  He scored over 20 touchdowns this year doing so, HOW COULD ONE AMASS SUCH NUMBERS RUNNING THE BALL?, in such an offense if this misconception were true.. Bottom line is he couldn’t.  He did this because the defense can not focus on one area of stopping the offense.  The defense has to account for all of the wide receivers and that takes Linebackers to either move out and cover the wide outs OR adding more Defensive Backs to your package.  It is simple math people.  Less people committed to stopping the run better shot at running the ball.  DMAC and Felix would have flourished even more in that type of system as neither are bad receivers and both of them can run like the wind.

Misconception # 4 (FRANK Broyle’s “Experts” Misconception

The Spread Offense will NOT work in the SEC.

Example # 1 See Urban Myers/Florida Gators  if any more explanation is need then well I don’t know how you got this far in the post being an illiterate this all must still be confusing to you.

Example # 2 See USC and our 2 game series against the Razorbacks.  I was at both of those games and well the spread offense worked pretty well. 

Misconception # 5   Defenses are on the field and get more tired when the offense runs a HUNH spread offense.

This is one that depends on the team.  This one that is also is probably the most difficult perception to overcome and one that is simply a matter of talent and how good your defense is.  The bottom line is if you have talent on defense and a solid defensive scheme then this isn’t true either.  If the defense can hold an opponent to 3 and out on most possessions then they will actually be on the field.  This just simply depends on the players and coaches on the defensive side of the ball as it is their responsibility to get off the field not the offense to “not score so fast”   While in the past the Time of Possession Statistic is one that is used to mark how good or bad a teams offense is doing it is NOT what wins ball games.  The only “STAT” that matters at the end of the game is the score no time of possession.  If you can score a lot and have a solid defense, well that wins championships NOT one or the other.

There are surely other examples that I have left out, but I thought I would throw a little logic out there for people to chew on.  I also respect the fact that there are those out there that simply enjoy watching the off tackle left, off tackle right, off tackle, punt style of football that we were imprisoned with historically.  I do not understand why you would enjoy this type of football over the Spread HUNH offense, but you are entitled to believe what you wish.  Please do not continue to do so because of a misunderstanding of what a Spread HUNH offense really is and can accomplish.

This post wasn’t intended to offend anyone, if it does I apologize, I am just sick of seeing misguided opinions that have no logic or concrete information to back them.

WPS,
HogsWell

Good Post.

Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and then beat you with experience.~Mark Twain

Donny2665

Quote from: BleednRed87 on December 09, 2007, 11:56:26 am
good post. Only thing is that USC doesn't run anywhere near the same offense as Florida. Don't they go under center every single time? Where as most spread offenses are all shotgun every time. I didn't think they went no huddle either but they very well could, I'm not sure. The only thing they do similar I guess is come out with 4 wr's, so I guess they do "spread" out the defense..

You don't have to line up in the shotgun to run the spread, that just helps if the QB plans on running the ball.

razorbass

Quote from: HogsWellThenEndsWell on December 08, 2007, 05:30:31 pm
Agreed, point #5 in my post.  I think that this is a matter of talent and coaching staff on the defensive side of the ball, and one that could actually HELP recruiting players on DEFENSE!!!  A point that I failed to include. 

To add to this a bit when running a Spread Offense or a HUNH Offense (they do NOT have to be the same, just seems to me more effective when they are) one could argue that it HELPS RECRUITING ALL AROUND!

Why you ask, well if you are a defensive player that is being recruited to a team that has this offensive philosphy then you can look a recruit in the eye and tell them "We need you right away" because our offense is so fast at scoring we have to play more players on defense to keep them fresh.  More Players = Better chance to see the field early and often. Thus helps recruiting.

It almost goes without saying, but young athletes want to play in a high octane TRUE pro-style passing offense and would come here based on that fact.  Thus it will obviouly help recruiting on the offensive side of the ball as well.

WPS,
HogsWell
Exactly not only do you need a good OC, but Also need a GREAT DC.

HogsWellThenEndsWell

Quote from: razorbass on December 09, 2007, 11:51:00 pm
Exactly not only do you need a good OC, but Also need a GREAT DC.

Well I for one believe in balance, I believe all of our coaches from the HC down to the positions coaches can be top notch at Arkansas.  I have faith that Gus could make that happen for us as HC, I also believe that he is the definition of that as an OC.

I do not think Regie Herring is a GREAT DC, but we have had some pretty decent deffenses under him.  If you are saying that you need a GREAT DC if you run Gus's offense to win, well I would have to disagree.  I would say that we need a good one, coupled with a good conditioning coach so that those extra 7 snaps per game we  would have to play (if our defense was as bad as Tulsa's) wouldn't have our team winded.

I think it is hard to compare Tulsa's defense to ours just for the simple fact that they do not have SEC talent on their team.  I do believe that should we be fortunate enough to have Gus back on The Hill that our defense would not play as many snaps as what Tulsa's did this year, as I think our defense would be much better than Tulsa's.

WPS.
HogsWell
LIVE! Do not just Exist!!

Razorback88

HogsWell,

You really seem to know what you're talking about, so I would like your opinion on the effects on the defense when a team runs the HUNH.  In '06, Tulsa gave up 262 points in 13 games, for 20.2 ppg.  In '07, they have given up 260 in 13 games, for 35.6 ppg.

I don't know anything about who Tulsa lost, etc.  I was just wondering what your explanation for the falloff on defense was.

LJHOG

and then you play a team like Oklahoma.  say Alburn, TN, Ga, LSU, FL, and soon Bama and you get results like Missouri.  the spread is an offense for teams which do not have the physical talent to compete "straight up".  for Arkansas, which does not normally have the bodies, it might be the answer.

Wilbur81

The basics of the spread listed in your post are very useful, but you are being naive to think that old-school fans are the only ones who don't understand it.  Just as many fans of the spread (and/or Gus) spout of many of the misconceptions you listed, if not more.  Alot of fans simply think its "throwing the ball alot" and they like the sound of that.  Its unfair to say that opponents of spread are just stupid while fans of it are educated. 

PS, the quote from Frank was "The spread won't work in the SEC without a mobile QB".  I'm sorry, but this statement is ABSOLUTELY true. Even P. Manning worked on his ability to run for an entire offseason.  A QB must be able to run to take advantage of what the spread does to a defense.

Shakey

Quote from: Razorback88 on December 10, 2007, 02:49:44 am
HogsWell,

You really seem to know what you're talking about, so I would like your opinion on the effects on the defense when a team runs the HUNH.  In '06, Tulsa gave up 262 points in 13 games, for 20.2 ppg.  In '07, they have given up 260 in 13 games, for 35.6 ppg.

I don't know anything about who Tulsa lost, etc.  I was just wondering what your explanation for the falloff on defense was.
I just went back and looked, I think you meant 416 in 13 games for 35.6 ppg.  Other than the typo, that's a good question.

HogsWellThenEndsWell

December 10, 2007, 09:32:24 am #118 Last Edit: December 10, 2007, 10:04:26 am by HogsWellThenEndsWell
Quote from: Wilbur81 on December 10, 2007, 08:44:26 am
The basics of the spread listed in your post are very useful, but you are being naive to think that old-school fans are the only ones who don't understand it.  Just as many fans of the spread (and/or Gus) spout of many of the misconceptions you listed, if not more.  Alot of fans simply think its "throwing the ball alot" and they like the sound of that.  Its unfair to say that opponents of spread are just stupid while fans of it are educated. 

PS, the quote from Frank was "The spread won't work in the SEC without a mobile QB".  I'm sorry, but this statement is ABSOLUTELY true. Even P. Manning worked on his ability to run for an entire offseason.  A QB must be able to run to take advantage of what the spread does to a defense.

So to be very clear I do NOT think opponents of the Spread simply do not understand it.  What I have certain on is that some of the things I see posted here and other boards over and over again are simply incorrect in their perception as the stats prove the logic incorrect.  I am ok with you saying "I don't like it", I just don't want to keep hearing about how Tulsa "Throws the Ball all over the field", and as I stated in the original post, we as Razorback fans see a balanced offense and we perceive that as "throwing A LOT".  Which to me is just sad.

Well IMHO I believe mobility is relevant, I think it is important, but it isn't the most important.  The most important is ability to throw accurate passes and make the catches.  It is not an absolute necessity to have a Matt Jones type runner at the QB spot to be successful (however that speed would be fun to see again).  Teebag in FL isn't exactly speedy, he is more of a Fullback than a Matt Jones type.  I don't consider him "mobile" compared to Matt Jones, but he is Mobile Enough to run for 20 touchdowns, and he isn't DMAC / MJones Fast.

Quote from: Shakey on December 10, 2007, 09:18:05 am
I just went back and looked, I think you meant 416 in 13 games for 35.6 ppg.  Other than the typo, that's a good question.

For this question I can say that adding OU to their schedule and having 62 hung on a team full of Conference USA talent didn't help that PPG Average any.

New Coach, New Defensive scheme, wrong personnel to pull it off.   I can tell you my perception right wrong or indifferent, but what I observed in the games I was able to see was a lack of conditioning, and inability to constantly get to the QB.

My main point around this is what is usually assumed when someone sees this is that the Defense was left out there on the field for too long and just was worn down.  While this may hold true for the Oklahoma game truth is Tulsa's defense didn't look good at the beginning of most  games not because they were "worn down" :o)

The defense only was on the field for an average of 7 more snaps a game than our defense was on the field, and their time of possession difference when compared to Arkansas was virtually nothing.  That is the most common slander that I hear about the spread offense is it doesn't give the defense a chance to rest, and that is just pure bologna.

WPS,
HogsWell

gilndoc

This is my take on the HUNH/spread offense.  It gives teams with less ability to compete on a more level ballfield.  I think you need some pretty smart players and a QB that can read defenses.  There are a whole lot of plays and reads to make this effective :razorback:

HogsWellThenEndsWell

Quote from: gilndoc on December 10, 2007, 09:53:15 am
This is my take on the HUNH/spread offense.  It gives teams with less ability to compete on a more level ballfield.  I think you need some pretty smart players and a QB that can read defenses.  There are a whole lot of plays and reads to make this effective :razorback:

Well, I agree with you, but more than that you have to have a coach that can teach it, and I don't know what you thought about how Tulsa looked this year on offense compared to last year, but it was night and day

WPS,
HogsWell

gilndoc

Gus is the master and he will throw in some kinks for excitement.  But the spread is running rampant in NWA right now.  It takes a coach and players that are willing to convert.  Lots of success stories  with a few blow ups.  Can cite a few if needed.

Josh Goforth

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Spread_offense
Interesting article on the history of the spread.
Arkansas did run a spread at some times this year. (not their base offense, but they ran it a lot) Also the HUNH does put the defense at a disadvantage by giving the ball back so quickly. I played DB against shiloh when malzahn was there and believe me the HUNH is tough to stop, and if they score on every drive (which most of malzahns teams did) then the defense doesnt have to worry. One miscue, int, fumble, etc and the HUNH is in trouble. Tulsas defense was actually above average this year, thats why they went 9-4..... doesnt matter what offense you run if you have a bad defense you arent going to win games. Example 2007 state championship game Glen Rose 35 vs Shiloh Christian 34.

What are some peoples opinion of New Englands spread offense this year? 

DeltaBoy

Spread and HUNH are 2 different animals. 

Read Coach Dutch Meyers Spread Formation Football.
If the South should lose, it means that the history of the heroic struggle will be written by the enemy, that our youth will be trained by Northern school teachers, will be impressed by all of the influences of history and education to regard our gallant dead as traitors and our maimed veterans as fit subjects for derision.
-- Major General Patrick Cleburne
The Confederacy had no better soldiers
than the Arkansans--fearless, brave, and oftentimes courageous beyond
prudence. Dickart History of Kershaws Brigade.

Pignutx32

Quote from: gilndoc on December 10, 2007, 09:53:15 am

I keep seeing this line of thinking and I just can't seem to get past it.  You make this statement which may be true but it begs the question......if it allows teams with less ability the ability to compete with better teams....what does it do for teams with more ability?  It would stand to reason if it would help a team like Tulsa compete against faster and bigger schools, it would give teams like Arkansas an advantage over better athletes also.

d1nonlyhogfan

"The man who complains about the way the ball bounces is likely the one who dropped it." -- Lou Holtz

"I have yet to be in a game where luck was involved. Well-prepared players make plays. I have yet to be in a game where the most prepared team didn't win." -- Urban Meyer

HogChops

Quote from: cthawg on December 08, 2007, 06:26:29 pm
ok but we run the *** spread. it is a run heavy version. you could throw every play out of the wing t but it is still a wing t. we run the spread formation.

You need to do some research

Wilbur81

HogsWell, when did you play for SHS?  Its interesting you bring up Lunney, b/c he is a coach who understands what to do with the talent he had.  He, too, ran a spread offense (possibly the first to do so at an Arkansas high school??) when he had the talent, but he ran a more conservative offense at times and won that way too.  Point is that the spread requires a particular type of talent that Arkansas has never had, and underestimating that challenge of recruiting the talent necessary can be a huge mistake....ask Nebraska.   

gilndoc

Quote from: Pignutx32 on December 10, 2007, 02:05:48 pm
I keep seeing this line of thinking and I just can't seem to get past it.  You make this statement which may be true but it begs the question......if it allows teams with less ability the ability to compete with better teams....what does it do for teams with more ability?  It would stand to reason if it would help a team like Tulsa compete against faster and bigger schools, it would give teams like Arkansas an advantage over better athletes also.

You isolate individuals or areas to look for mismatches.

Pignutx32

Quote from: gilndoc on December 10, 2007, 02:57:48 pm
You isolate individuals or areas to look for mismatches.

Right...but my point is that it allows you to do that for any team.  One that has lesser athletes and the one that has great athletes.  Maybe I'm not understanding you correctly....I've seen some people state that the only way the HUHN spread is useful is to level the playing field if you have lesser athletes.

HogsWellThenEndsWell

December 10, 2007, 03:09:18 pm #130 Last Edit: December 10, 2007, 03:42:27 pm by HogsWellThenEndsWell
Quote from: Wilbur81 on December 10, 2007, 02:26:53 pm
HogsWell, when did you play for SHS?  Its interesting you bring up Lunney, b/c he is a coach who understands what to do with the talent he had.  He, too, ran a spread offense (possibly the first to do so at an Arkansas high school??) when he had the talent, but he ran a more conservative offense at times and won that way too.  Point is that the spread requires a particular type of talent that Arkansas has never had, and underestimating that challenge of recruiting the talent necessary can be a huge mistake....ask Nebraska.   

LOL,

I played for Barry Lunney Sr. in Jr. High school at Fordyce Jr. High School.  We were 8-0.  We ran the Wing-T.  I was on the same team as Ray Lee Johnson (former Hog, San Diego Charger, Denver Bronco) , Blake Dennison (Former ASU Indian) and a hand full of guys that played @ Ouchita Baptist, HSU, and UAM.I agree that the Spread Offense isn't one we are going to step into and succeed immediately with, espicailly with the current talent on campus currently.  But to my knowledge that offense just plain does not exist. If it has i have never heard of the Jesus Offense, where miracles just fall into our lap.  We just aren't geared that way now.  However with a good recruiting class, and a coach that is dedicated to getting it implemented that could change in a year or two.  Kids today want a high octane offense to play in.  Nutt's strategery around this was to RUN RUN RUN and get some of the best Running talent available and that worked in keeping and getting great running back talent on the Hill (It sure did help that they were mostly all wearing a Razorback logo on their onesies in their first year of life. <hint of sarcasm here>. 

I have made this statement on this board and will type it once again.  The Spread Offense when run as a balanced attack can simply get the top recruits to sign up.  It makes your quarterback look all world even if he is really mediocre, gives your running backs huge lanes, and gives your receivers a chance to play early and often.

Some people miss the correlation and how it can help recruiting Defensive players as well.  The spread offense usually dictates that your defense is on the field more.  As I state below that this is NOT that significant in terms of ACTUAL time of possession or # of plays per game.  The difference still exists.  So the way to "spin" this to defensive recruits is that we are running a fast pace offense that dictates there are more plays per game.  More plays per game = more opportunity.  We need your talent to come in and contribute because our defense will have to be deep.  Now I know that some may view that as diminishing my comments above where just in looking at the actual #s that that difference isn't that big.  It exist and recruiting is selling, this is the story that would get more talent to the program the quickest.  And it is one that I would be happiest if our coaches would be able to tell it.

WPS,
HogsWell

Even
WPS,
HogsWell

HogsWellThenEndsWell

Quote from: Pignutx32 on December 10, 2007, 03:01:19 pm
Right...but my point is that it allows you to do that for any team.  One that has lesser athletes and the one that has great athletes.  Maybe I'm not understanding you correctly....I've seen some people state that the only way the HUHN spread is useful is to level the playing field if you have lesser athletes.

The way that it "levels the playing field" is by eliminating the double coverage options.  If a team usually has 4 linman 3 linebackers 4 Defensive backs then in most cases you send out 5 receivers (this could be 3 WR 1 RB 1 TE, 4 WR 1 RB, or any # of options but you get the picture)  It SHOULD create the in ability to double team your best receiver.  It should also create a linebacker on a WR mismatch. If they are in there base defense.  Now granted the defense could then switch to a Nickel or a Dime package to take away all of the receivers, that is when you pound it down their throats with a few running plays.  Could you imagine DMAC or Felix breaking loose in a system such as this.  I for one can.  But again you have to have the talent and truth be told if Nutt would have actually "turned Gus loose" this is  what we would would have seen this year. But alas if if's and  butt's were candy and nuts (ok pretzels no more Nutts).  then we would have not only been sitting pretty with a better recruiting class from last year we would have more guys knocking on our door just itching to get into that system, and this is the key to success RECRUITING.  Recruiting a top QB to play in a two running back system is just impossible.  No QB/WR that has true NFL aspirations would want to play in a system where they hand the ball of 50-60 times a game.  That is where we were.  With the proper coach we will be much better off.

Regards,
HogsWell

HeavyweightHog

Your point No. 2 is a little misleading. Quarterback sacks and scrambles are counted as rushing attempts, and 96 of the rushing attempts were by the quarterback. I think Tulsa tries to thrown the ball more than they try to run it. This is why the fan with whom you were visiting insisted that Tulsa throws more than it runs. Technically you are right and he is wrong, but again the stats are a little misleading.
Everybody is ignorant. Only on different subjects.
          ~Will Rogers

HogsWellThenEndsWell

December 10, 2007, 04:07:10 pm #134 Last Edit: December 10, 2007, 04:13:49 pm by HogsWellThenEndsWell
Quote from: HeavyweightHog on December 10, 2007, 03:51:31 pm
Your point No. 2 is a little misleading. Quarterback sacks and scrambles are counted as rushing attempts, and 96 of the rushing attempts were by the quarterback. I think Tulsa tries to thrown the ball more than they try to run it. This is why the fan with whom you were visiting insisted that Tulsa throws more than it runs. Technically you are right and he is wrong, but again the stats are a little misleading.

You are correct and a point that I did not consider. I have edited my original post and gave you credit for your contribution. Thanks for pointing that out.   I was venting when I wrote the initial post, so at the same time I believe that their offense is still heads and tails more balanced than what we are used to, and balance spread or no spread is the way to win.  Have a one dimensional game plan cost the Razorbacks a game or four and DMAC the Heisman (IMHO).  Spread or no spread this isn't even up for debate.  If you disagree well please post in another thread as the Heisman argument would be off topic.

Thanks again for your contribution to the logical and for the most part a great thread of discussion. 

For what it is worth I haven't had one person take me up on my free coffee offer here in Memphis.  Either they don't like me or don't care or don't like coffee....or they agree with me.

I love the Hogs, would love to see Gus back on the hill as OC or HC, if it doesn't happen I am NOT cancelling my season tickets.  No matter how we end up looking after this whole Coach thing blows over.  Hey Hey Ho Ho Arkansas to the Cotton Bowl.

WPS,
HogsWell

HeavyweightHog

I understood the point that you were making and agree with it--the offense that Gus runs is indeed more balanced than most percieve it to be. I'd say about 60% of the plays he calls are pass plays and 40% are running plays. Arkansas was about 75% run. However, I'm not convinced that Arkansas' system was responsible for this as much as the fact that we didn't have the players that we need to implement a good passing attack.
          ~Will Rogers

havok

Quote from: biggiepiggie on December 08, 2007, 05:24:14 pm
I heard that the Tulsa coach was complaining to Malzahn that he scored so
fast that the defense stayed on the field too long.  It is not Malzahn's job
to rest the defense.  That is the job of the defensive coordinator.  If he could
get some 3 and out's his defense wouldn't be on the field so much.

I am of the opinion...if the defense early in the game, before this Fatigue set in..would stop the opponent a few times... the score would be up a few TD's to the point where the other team had to play pass often...thus making the other team one dimentional.  A one dimentional team, is easier to stop, than one who uses many aspects.  (You "tee it off" with your Def-linemen on passrush..Not too worried about run stopping and sit back waiting for a pass to be a little off and jump on it).

HeavyweightHog

Quote from: HogsWellThenEndsWell on December 10, 2007, 04:07:10 pm
You are correct and a point that I did not consider. I have edited my original post and gave you credit for your contribution. Thanks for pointing that out.   I was venting when I wrote the initial post, so at the same time I believe that their offense is still heads and tails more balanced than what we are used to, and balance spread or no spread is the way to win.  Have a one dimensional game plan cost the Razorbacks a game or four and DMAC the Heisman (IMHO).  Spread or no spread this isn't even up for debate.  If you disagree well please post in another thread as the Heisman argument would be off topic.

Thanks again for your contribution to the logical and for the most part a great thread of discussion. 

For what it is worth I haven't had one person take me up on my free coffee offer here in Memphis.  Either they don't like me or don't care or don't like coffee....or they agree with me.

I love the Hogs, would love to see Gus back on the hill as OC or HC, if it doesn't happen I am NOT cancelling my season tickets.  No matter how we end up looking after this whole Coach thing blows over.  Hey Hey Ho Ho Arkansas to the Cotton Bowl.

WPS,
HogsWell

Not all of the 96 quarterback rushes were sacks. Some were sacks; others were passing plays that broke down; some were actual called rushing plays. So your edit is a little misleading as well. The point is, probably at least half of the quarterback rushing attempts were called pass plays where the quarterback wound up keeping the ball. Your point about balance is absolutely correct.
          ~Will Rogers

HogsWellThenEndsWell

Quote from: HeavyweightHog on December 10, 2007, 04:33:15 pm
Not all of the 96 quarterback rushes were sacks. Some were sacks; others were passing plays that broke down; some were actual called rushing plays. So your edit is a little misleading as well. The point is, probably at least half of the quarterback rushing attempts were called pass plays where the quarterback wound up keeping the ball. Your point about balance is absolutely correct.

I guess I am missing how it is misleading.   I think I just made the point that some of those were QB runs, while MOST were not.  I want to be clear, and not misleading I guess I am failing to see how it is misleading.  Please Help, and thanks again.

WPS,
HogsWell

HeavyweightHog

Tulsa was not sacked 96 times as stated in your edit. That would be an average of 8 sacks per game! The quarterback had 96 rushes. Some were sacks, some were busted pass plays and some were actual rushes (he rushed for 12 TD's). He lost 218 yards and most of that was probably sacks.
          ~Will Rogers

HogsWellThenEndsWell

Quote from: HeavyweightHog on December 10, 2007, 06:29:22 pm
Tulsa was not sacked 96 times as stated in your edit. That would be an average of 8 sacks per game! The quarterback had 96 rushes. Some were sacks, some were busted pass plays and some were actual rushes (he rushed for 12 TD's). He lost 218 yards and most of that was probably sacks.
Thanks for the clarification, I guess I could have just gone and looked at the NCAA board, but got a bit lazzy. :)
Will Correct now.

HogsWell

Pignutx32

Quote from: HogsWellThenEndsWell on December 10, 2007, 04:07:10 pm

Let me know the next time you are passing through going to a razorback game and I'll take you up on that coffee.....I agree with you...but I like coffee too!