Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Confused about the Spread Offense or HUNH Offense Click Here

Started by HogsWellThenEndsWell, December 08, 2007, 05:20:18 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

HogsWellThenEndsWell

December 08, 2007, 05:20:18 pm Last Edit: December 10, 2007, 07:48:36 pm by HogsWellThenEndsWell
I just wanted to get this off my chest.  There seems to be a few hog fans that have this 1960's mentality on how football should be played.  They either don't take the time to understand or just want to get a rise out of the fans that do understand how a spread offense or a HUNH offense would benefit the program.  So I thought I would just jot down some facts that may be escaping some of you so that you can educate yourself.

Misconception #1

The Spread or HUNH Offense is "Throwing the Ball all over the field"

FALSE: The Spread Offense is designed to simply spread the defense out so they can not focus on any one person in an offensive scheme.

The HUNH addition to a spread offense is simply moving the huddle to the line of scrimmage so that you see what the defense is giving you and then take it.  (Could be run or pass).  This shifts the advantage to the offense as if the defense appears to be selling out on a blitz then they can call the appropriate play (Run or Pass) to mitigate its effects (just one example)

Misconception #2 (Close to #1 but not quite)
Edited 12/10/2007
It was pointed out to me by HeavyweightHog below in this thread that this stat is misleading, due to the fact that Tulsa's QB ran the ball 96 times (a lot of those were actually sacks and those are counted as Rushes)l he did have 12 rushing touchdowns on the year.  While .  So while statistically I am correct realistically I am incorrect on this assertation.  Never the less the real point is Balance Balance Balance.  Do not let the defense  stack 9 and 10 in the box.  If DMAC/Felix were on Tulsa's squad however I truly believe this stat would have been more run than pass EXCLUDING sacks.  Thanks again HeavyweightHog.

HogsWell

A Spread Offense usually passes more than they run. 

FALSE (& TRUE) (If Gus is calling the plays)

See: http://web1.ncaa.org/d1mfb/2007/Internet/recaps/2007000000719.HTML

Tulsa Ran the Ball 523 times this year and had 517 pass attempts.  In a conversation with a fellow razorback last night he told me that Tulsa throws the ball more than they run.  I informed him that he was wrong.  He then went on to tell me that he watched Tulsa play every chance he got.  I had to then pull up the NCAA stats to show him that he was among the ones in the Arkansas fan base that when seeing a team throw the ball EVEN CLOSE to the same # of times that they run the ball that their mind perceives this a throwing more than passing.  Which is understandable because when we see 150 yards passing and your OC comments that this is "what he hopes for every game" it is  obvious the Razorback Coaches striving for mediocrity as usual.

Misconception # 3

If you run a Spread Offense or HUNH offense you can not run the ball as effective as in run oriented offense. 

FALSE

You actually can run the ball more effectively with less talent, more talent = Greater Production.  Perfect example of this is TT and the Florida Gators.  I think we can all agree that while TT is a good player he isn't even close to the physical runner that DMAC is.  He was able to run the ball out of the spread offense with virtually NO TALENT at their running back spots this year out of the Spread Offense.  He scored over 20 touchdowns this year doing so, HOW COULD ONE AMASS SUCH NUMBERS RUNNING THE BALL?, in such an offense if this misconception were true.. Bottom line is he couldn't.  He did this because the defense can not focus on one area of stopping the offense.  The defense has to account for all of the wide receivers and that takes Linebackers to either move out and cover the wide outs OR adding more Defensive Backs to your package.  It is simple math people.  Less people committed to stopping the run better shot at running the ball.  DMAC and Felix would have flourished even more in that type of system as neither are bad receivers and both of them can run like the wind.

Misconception # 4 (FRANK Broyle's "Experts" Misconception

The Spread Offense will NOT work in the SEC.

Example # 1 See Urban Myers/Florida Gators  if any more explanation is need then well I don't know how you got this far in the post being an illiterate this all must still be confusing to you.

Example # 2 See USC and our 2 game series against the Razorbacks.  I was at both of those games and well the spread offense worked pretty well. 

Misconception # 5   Defenses are on the field and get more tired when the offense runs a HUNH spread offense.

This is one that depends on the team.  This one that is also is probably the most difficult perception to overcome and one that is simply a matter of talent and how good your defense is.  The bottom line is if you have talent on defense and a solid defensive scheme then this isn't true either.  If the defense can hold an opponent to 3 and out on most possessions then they will actually be on the field.  This just simply depends on the players and coaches on the defensive side of the ball as it is their responsibility to get off the field not the offense to "not score so fast"   While in the past the Time of Possession Statistic is one that is used to mark how good or bad a teams offense is doing it is NOT what wins ball games.  The only "STAT" that matters at the end of the game is the score no time of possession.  If you can score a lot and have a solid defense, well that wins championships NOT one or the other.

There are surely other examples that I have left out, but I thought I would throw a little logic out there for people to chew on.  I also respect the fact that there are those out there that simply enjoy watching the off tackle left, off tackle right, off tackle, punt style of football that we were imprisoned with historically.  I do not understand why you would enjoy this type of football over the Spread HUNH offense, but you are entitled to believe what you wish.  Please do not continue to do so because of a misunderstanding of what a Spread HUNH offense really is and can accomplish.

This post wasn't intended to offend anyone, if it does I apologize, I am just sick of seeing misguided opinions that have no logic or concrete information to back them.

WPS,
HogsWell

Added 12/10/2007

Well Written Post on Hogville from FLKeysGuy
http://www.hogville.net/yabbse/index.php?topic=84701.0
LIVE! Do not just Exist!!

biggiepiggie

I heard that the Tulsa coach was complaining to Malzahn that he scored so
fast that the defense stayed on the field too long.  It is not Malzahn's job
to rest the defense.  That is the job of the defensive coordinator.  If he could
get some 3 and out's his defense wouldn't be on the field so much.

ctthras

HogsWellThenEndsWell

Quote from: biggiepiggie on December 08, 2007, 05:24:14 pm
I heard that the Tulsa coach was complaining to Malzahn that he scored so
fast that the defense stayed on the field too long.  It is not Malzahn's job
to rest the defense.  That is the job of the defensive coordinator.  If he could
get some 3 and out's his defense wouldn't be on the field so much.

Agreed, point #5 in my post.  I think that this is a matter of talent and coaching staff on the defensive side of the ball, and one that could actually HELP recruiting players on DEFENSE!!!  A point that I failed to include. 

To add to this a bit when running a Spread Offense or a HUNH Offense (they do NOT have to be the same, just seems to me more effective when they are) one could argue that it HELPS RECRUITING ALL AROUND!

Why you ask, well if you are a defensive player that is being recruited to a team that has this offensive philosphy then you can look a recruit in the eye and tell them "We need you right away" because our offense is so fast at scoring we have to play more players on defense to keep them fresh.  More Players = Better chance to see the field early and often. Thus helps recruiting.

It almost goes without saying, but young athletes want to play in a high octane TRUE pro-style passing offense and would come here based on that fact.  Thus it will obviouly help recruiting on the offensive side of the ball as well.

WPS,
HogsWell

HogsWellThenEndsWell

Quote from: ctthras on December 08, 2007, 05:30:05 pm
I was fine until you mentioned GUS

Just using Facts and Data to develope an opinion NOT emotion.

WPS,
HogsWell

flagstaffhog

Go HOGS Go!

pimpndistress

Quote from: ctthras on December 08, 2007, 05:30:05 pm
I was fine until you mentioned GUS
If you dont like Gus Its because of NUTT ( Gus is a winner ) get over it
:razorback:  FIRE JEFF LONG :razorback:
SMITE ME IF YOU LOVE  JEFF LONG [move]

ctthras

Its not b/c of nutt...why don't we offer the job to barry lunny jr. of bentonville....that is how stupid your argument is

HogsWellThenEndsWell

I am a workaholic by some people's definitions.  I work from usually 8 a.m. to around 6 p.m. everyday.  I go home I spend time with my family and then go back to office after putting my 4 year old to bed.   I usually then work till around Mindinght to 2 in the morning then back to the house for some sleep.  (WOW you say that is a lot of hours in the week)  I spend time in the office on the weekends as well almost every weekend.  With that being said I love my job. I have fun with what I do for a living.  I have been told I am pretty good at it.  I am at the office right now "taking a break" to read Hogville and see what other hog fans are thinking, as well as catch up on the coaching search.

I say this to make a point....the point is "IT IS NOT WORK TO ME" it is FUN!  I love what I do, and the high tech toys I get to play with.  I am an Engineer for a Networking Equipment Manufacturer who's network and telephony solutions are awesome and second to none in the industry.  I LIKE IT, and I am very blessed to have a career that pays me for doing something that I love doing.

The second point is this....Gus is the same way....he LOVES what he does and the effect of that is he is good at it.

WPS,

HogsWell

Lake City Hog

ctthrs--- that is a pretty stupid reply, you need to either get over your problem with Gus or quit clicking on threads that are about him or his style of offense. If you don't want to read about Gus it is VERY SIMPLE, don't look at post about him, that way you may not feel the need to bash other people.

ctthras

good one lchog...just like you didn't bash nutt....shut up and let people post

HogsWellThenEndsWell

Quote from: cthawg on December 08, 2007, 05:49:37 pm
We ran a spread offense.

The commonly accepted deffinition of a spread offense is sending 3-4 receivers out on most plays (NOT including your running backs).  By most peoples definition the Razorbacks do not / have not run a spread offense.

WPS,
HogsWell

HogsWellThenEndsWell

Quote from: cthawg on December 08, 2007, 05:49:37 pm
We ran a spread offense.

In fact the leading receiver on our team this year was Peyton Hillis.  I challenge you to find any team that runs a Spread Offense where their leading receiver is their full-back.

WPS,
HogsWell

cthawg

I didnt think the run pass ratio was important in the spread just the formation here is what you said.

Misconception #1

FALSE: The Spread Offense is designed to simply spread the defense out so they can not focus on any one person in an offensive scheme.

The HUNH addition to a spread offense is simply moving the huddle to the line of scrimmage so that you see what the defense is giving you and then take it.  (Could be run or pass).  This shifts the advantage to the offense as if the defense appears to be selling out on a blitz then they can call the appropriate play (Run or Pass) to mitigate its effects (just one example)

PigCityATL

Good post.  One clarification - the no huddle approach doesn't equal the spread offense.   A no huddle cap be utilized to run any offense and any formation.  our local high school uses the no huddle to run a very old school veer option offense for some of the same reasons you mentioned in your post.  keeps the defense in a down position longer creating fatigue, forces their hand to show their alignment, allows us to control the tempo.  The spread is designed to create one on one match ups in space.  that way you are forcing the defense to have to make the play in a man type situation, if they miss the tackle or you create mismatches you can exploit the defense for big gains.

cthawg

In gus's base formation the only running back is the "full back" and he motions his "recievers" to take hand offs at full speed.

HogsWellThenEndsWell

Quote from: cthawg on December 08, 2007, 05:53:03 pm
I didnt think the run pass ratio was important in the spread just the formation here is what you said.

Misconception #1

I was just stating that this is a MISCONCEPTION, the Run Pass Ratio is not important in a Spread Offense....It is important in EVERY offense (IMO).  If you are one dimentional as we were last year the defense can focus. 

There seems to be a misconeption that if you are in a spread formation then you are "Throwing more than your are Running"

I am just trying to help the people that have that perception because it is absolutly FALSE.

To Clarify a bit more, the Spread Formation is exactly that a Formation and you would be hard pressed to find an Arkansas Football game that involved the majority of the plays run from this type of formation.  If you find one in which you see 4 wideouts I would be amazed, in the one in which we had 3 the majority of the time it was Felix or Peyton split out and coming back across the field in motion for a hand off or a "stealthy" route being run by Hillis (which was our most effective passing game strategy).

WPS,
HogsWell

HogsWellThenEndsWell

Quote from: PigCityATL on December 08, 2007, 05:54:49 pm
Good post.  One clarification - the no huddle approach doesn't equal the spread offense.   A no huddle cap be utilized to run any offense and any formation.  our local high school uses the no huddle to run a very old school veer option offense for some of the same reasons you mentioned in your post.  keeps the defense in a down position longer creating fatigue, forces their hand to show their alignment, allows us to control the tempo.  The spread is designed to create one on one match ups in space.  that way you are forcing the defense to have to make the play in a man type situation, if they miss the tackle or you create mismatches you can exploit the defense for big gains.

Excellent point, and one I was trying to make but you sum it up better than I did.

Thanks,
HogsWell

Stella

Quote from: HogsWellThenEndsWell on December 08, 2007, 05:20:18 pm
I just wanted to get this off my chest.  There seems to be a few hog fans that have this 1960's mentality on how football should be played.  They either don't take the time to understand or just want to get a rise out of the fans that do understand how a spread offense or a HUNH offense would benefit the program.  So I thought I would just jot down some facts that may be escaping some of you so that you can educate yourself.

Misconception #1

The Spread or HUNH Offense is “Throwing the Ball all over the field”

FALSE (If Gus is calling the plays)

Tulsa Ran the Ball 523 times this year and had 517 pass attempts.  In a conversation with a fellow razorback last night he told me that Tulsa throws the ball more than they run.  I informed him that he was wrong.  He then went on to tell me that he watched Tulsa play every chance he got.  I had to then pull up the NCAA stats to show him that he was among the ones in the Arkansas fan base that when seeing a team throw the ball EVEN CLOSE to the same # of times that they run the ball that their mind perceives this a throwing more than passing.  Which is understandable because when we see 150 yards passing and your OC comments that this is “what he hopes for every game” it is  obvious the Razorback Coaches striving for mediocrity as usual.

Misconception # 3

If you run a Spread Offense or HUNH offense you can not run the ball as effective as in run oriented offense. 

FALSE

You actually can run the ball more effectively with less talent, more talent = Greater Production.  Perfect example of this is TT and the Florida Gators.  I think we can all agree that while TT is a good player he isn’t even close to the physical runner that DMAC is.  He was able to run the ball out of the spread offense with virtually NO TALENT at their running back spots this year out of the Spread Offense.  He scored over 20 touchdowns this year doing so, HOW COULD ONE AMASS SUCH NUMBERS RUNNING THE BALL?, in such an offense if this misconception were true.. Bottom line is he couldn’t.  He did this because the defense can not focus on one area of stopping the offense.  The defense has to account for all of the wide receivers and that takes Linebackers to either move out and cover the wide outs OR adding more Defensive Backs to your package.  It is simple math people.  Less people committed to stopping the run better shot at running the ball.  DMAC and Felix would have flourished even more in that type of system as neither are bad receivers and both of them can run like the wind.

Misconception # 4 (FRANK Broyle’s “Experts” Misconception

Example # 1 See Urban Myers/Florida Gators  if any more explanation is need then well I don’t know how you got this far in the post being an illiterate this all must still be confusing to you.

Example # 2 See USC and our 2 game series against the Razorbacks.  I was at both of those games and well the spread offense worked pretty well. 

Misconception # 5   Defenses are on the field and get more tired when the offense runs a HUNH spread offense.

This is one that depends on the team.  This one that is also is probably the most difficult perception to overcome and one that is simply a matter of talent and how good your defense is.  The bottom line is if you have talent on defense and a solid defensive scheme then this isn’t true either.  If the defense can hold an opponent to 3 and out on most possessions then they will actually be on the field.  This just simply depends on the players and coaches on the defensive side of the ball as it is their responsibility to get off the field not the offense to “not score so fast”   While in the past the Time of Possession Statistic is one that is used to mark how good or bad a teams offense is doing it is NOT what wins ball games.  The only “STAT” that matters at the end of the game is the score no time of possession.  If you can score a lot and have a solid defense, well that wins championships NOT one or the other.

There are surely other examples that I have left out, but I thought I would throw a little logic out there for people to chew on.  I also respect the fact that there are those out there that simply enjoy watching the off tackle left, off tackle right, off tackle, punt style of football that we were imprisoned with historically.  I do not understand why you would enjoy this type of football over the Spread HUNH offense, but you are entitled to believe what you wish.  Please do not continue to do so because of a misunderstanding of what a Spread HUNH offense really is and can accomplish.

This post wasn’t intended to offend anyone, if it does I apologize, I am just sick of seeing misguided opinions that have no logic or concrete information to back them.

WPS,
HogsWell

"imprisoned" is exactly how it feels when your team's offense is "run first / ball control".  Arkansas football needs a facelift on offense.  Petrino and Malzahn teamed together could get it done!

razorhog59

Gus is a great offensive coach no doubt.  I would love for him to be our offensive coordinator.

pimpndistress

Quote from: ctthras on December 08, 2007, 05:40:47 pm
Its not b/c of nutt...why don't we offer the job to barry lunny jr. of bentonville....that is how stupid your argument is
barry lunny jr  was not OC in the SEC He also did not OC for Tulsa this year and HAD THE #1 Offense

HogsWellThenEndsWell

Quote from: razorhog59 on December 08, 2007, 06:05:16 pm
Gus is a great offensive coach no doubt.  I would love for him to be our offensive coordinator.

Truth be told, I want him back under any capacity, I would take my lumps with him as OC or HC.  The truth is he is a workaholic and would make our program successful.  Even if it does take some time.  Whoever they hire will not be able to wave a magic wand and turn us into National Champions over night.  Gus will have his shot to make a mark on college football and I would rather it be our program he does that with, and NOT some where else.  Hell Gus is something like 41 years old, and has tons of coaching experience!  (Frank was in his early 30s when he took the head hog role.)

Nutt has 10 years of coaching SEC football and I don't want him back here! I am glad we have a shot at getting a better coach, bottom line is I beleive Gus to be a better coach. 

WPS,
HogsWell

HogsWellThenEndsWell

Quote from: pimpndistress on December 08, 2007, 06:07:29 pm
barry lunny jr  was not OC in the SEC He also did not OC for Tulsa this year and HAD THE #1 Offense

With that being said I like Barry Lunney (Jr and Sr.) both are winners in my book and I would love to see Jr. on staff at the University.  He understands football, and fundamentals.  I have no objections with Gus putting him on staff or whoever the head coach is.  Having former players on your staff usually isn't frowned upon.

WPS,
HogsWell

pimpndistress

cthawg

We ran a spread all year. the formation creates mismatches that is why we ran effectively out of it all year. the problem with running from the spread every time especially with a run heavy offense as we are, is that as a result of the motion and sweeps the tendency is to run east and west not north and south. That is why having a mobile QB is the most important aspect of a spread.

Tennessee beat us because their defense widened out the linebackers and caught the sweep. we didnt run an effective counter off the sweep. game over.

LSU, DMAC ran the counter effectively on the first touchdown. It is the same sort of read option that Vince young ran a t texas pat white runs at WVU and tebow scores on from inside the ten. no we dont throw the ball. it is play calling not the formation. we run a spread. we ran a spread. a run heavy version of the SPREAD.

hawgsav1

Quote from: HogsWellThenEndsWell on December 08, 2007, 05:20:18 pm

Misconception #1

FALSE (If Gus is calling the plays)

Tulsa Ran the Ball 523 times this year and had 517 pass attempts.  In a conversation with a fellow razorback last night he told me that Tulsa throws the ball more than they run.  I informed him that he was wrong.  He then went on to tell me that he watched Tulsa play every chance he got.  I had to then pull up the NCAA stats to show him that he was among the ones in the Arkansas fan base that when seeing a team throw the ball EVEN CLOSE to the same # of times that they run the ball that their mind perceives this a throwing more than passing.  Which is understandable because when we see 150 yards passing and your OC comments that this is "what he hopes for every game" it is  obvious the Razorback Coaches striving for mediocrity as usual.

Misconception # 3

FALSE

You actually can run the ball more effectively with less talent, more talent = Greater Production.  Perfect example of this is TT and the Florida Gators.  I think we can all agree that while TT is a good player he isn't even close to the physical runner that DMAC is.  He was able to run the ball out of the spread offense with virtually NO TALENT at their running back spots this year out of the Spread Offense.  He scored over 20 touchdowns this year doing so, HOW COULD ONE AMASS SUCH NUMBERS RUNNING THE BALL?, in such an offense if this misconception were true.. Bottom line is he couldn't.  He did this because the defense can not focus on one area of stopping the offense.  The defense has to account for all of the wide receivers and that takes Linebackers to either move out and cover the wide outs OR adding more Defensive Backs to your package.  It is simple math people.  Less people committed to stopping the run better shot at running the ball.  DMAC and Felix would have flourished even more in that type of system as neither are bad receivers and both of them can run like the wind.

Misconception # 4 (FRANK Broyle's "Experts" Misconception

Example # 1 See Urban Myers/Florida Gators  if any more explanation is need then well I don't know how you got this far in the post being an illiterate this all must still be confusing to you.

Misconception # 5   Defenses are on the field and get more tired when the offense runs a HUNH spread offense.

This is one that depends on the team.  This one that is also is probably the most difficult perception to overcome and one that is simply a matter of talent and how good your defense is.  The bottom line is if you have talent on defense and a solid defensive scheme then this isn't true either.  If the defense can hold an opponent to 3 and out on most possessions then they will actually be on the field.  This just simply depends on the players and coaches on the defensive side of the ball as it is their responsibility to get off the field not the offense to "not score so fast"   While in the past the Time of Possession Statistic is one that is used to mark how good or bad a teams offense is doing it is NOT what wins ball games.  The only "STAT" that matters at the end of the game is the score no time of possession.  If you can score a lot and have a solid defense, well that wins championships NOT one or the other.

This post wasn't intended to offend anyone, if it does I apologize, I am just sick of seeing misguided opinions that have no logic or concrete information to back them.

WPS,
HogsWell

Good post, but I disagree with you on certain accounts.  You're correct in your definition of the spread, and of your statistics they are correct (though Tulsa usually comes out throwing the ball, and since they've been up by a lot in many of their games, they run towards the end).  Regardless, MOST spread offenses do tend to spread it out all over the field and run a lot of shorter pass schemes (similar to a West Coast offense type of thing.  THink Hawaii, Fresno State, etc.).  Running the ball can be done out of any scheme, except it requires talent, execution, and great line play, it is not dependent on the formation.  THe best formations for running the ball are the Wishbone, Wing-T, or the I formation, though teams have shown successful abilities to run the ball out of the spread (WVU)

THe points I disagree on you most are 4 and 5.  Last year's Florida Gators barely ran the spread offense.  Most of their offense consisted of long bombs from Chris Leak to Dallas Baker and end arounds and other ways to get Percy Harvin into open space.  THey'd bring in T-Bag on short yardage plays as a fullback.    The only time the offense worked was in the National championship game against the bigger yet MUCH slower Ohio State team.  That offense struggled every week in the SEC and they won that national championship on defense and special teams more than anything.  This year, everyone expected it to work out beautifully yet SEC teams were able to stop the spread.  Why?  THe defenses here are fast, physical and disciplined.  If you can keep good coverage on your receivers and your linebackers and other DBs contain instead of trying to chase down, they can take away the main advantage of the spread...the fact that it creates one on one matchups in open space.

The spread did not work on either side when Arkansas played USC.  THe only time the spread was even used was in the opening game the second year, and it failed miserably.  Arkansas' offense did NOT open up until we switched back to the traditional I-formation power running game.  We were miserable against USC, miserable against Utah State, miserable against Bama, Vandy and all of them until Auburn.  USC does NOT run a spread offense, contrary to popular opinion.  They run a traditional offense with more passing out of it and occasional 3 receiver sets.  THeir base set is the Pro-Formation, which is NOT a spread set.

Regarding point number 5, obviously a defense will get more tired if your offense gets on the field and scores quickly.  More playing time =  more fatigue.  However, if a DC has depth and conditioning for his defense, they should be fine.  However, obviously, they will get tired.
Revenge is a dish best served cold. - Klingon Proverb

HogsWellThenEndsWell

Quote from: cthawg on December 08, 2007, 06:12:48 pm
We ran a spread all year. the formation creates mismatches that is why we ran effectively out of it all year. the problem with running from the spread every time especially with a run heavy offense as we are, is that as a result of the motion and sweeps the tendency is to run east and west not north and south. That is why having a mobile QB is the most important aspect of a spread.

Tennessee beat us because their defense widened out the linebackers and caught the sweep. we didnt run an effective counter off the sweep. game over.

LSU, DMAC ran the counter effectively on the first touchdown. It is the same sort of read option that Vince young ran a t texas pat white runs at WVU and tebow scores on from inside the ten. no we dont throw the ball. it is play calling not the formation. we run a spread. we ran a spread. a run heavy version of the SPREAD.

Well if you think that what Arkansas ran even closely resembles a Spread Offense then I would just have to say let's agree to disagree.  I have NEVER heard anyone refere to our offense as a Spred Offense, with the obvious exception of your comments in this thread.

WPS,
HogsWell

cthawg

would you say WVU doesnt run the spread? WVU passing attempts 246 rushing attempts 589 that doesnt look very balanced now does it.

http://www.msnsportsnet.com/content/fbstats.pdf

HogsWellThenEndsWell

Quote from: hawgsav1 on December 08, 2007, 06:13:02 pm

The spread did not work on either side when Arkansas played USC.  THe only time the spread was even used was in the opening game the second year, and it failed miserably.

Arkansas ran the Spread HUNH offense for one series against USC.  Mitch ran it in for a touchdown. It was never seen again.

Your Points on Defense (I believe) are in line with mine.  It depends on the coaches and telent on Defense it is their responsibility ot get the Offense of the field not for the Offense to not score too quickly.  But you can have a successful defense and run a spread HUNH offense.

WPS,
HogsWell

HogsWellThenEndsWell

Quote from: cthawg on December 08, 2007, 06:16:58 pm
would you say WVU doesnt run the spread? WVU passing attempts 246 rushing attempts 589 that doesnt look very balanced now does it.

http://www.msnsportsnet.com/content/fbstats.pdf

Thanks you for making my points # 1  and #2 even more clear.  Just because you run a Spread Offense does not mean you are PASSING the ball on every down.

I will be very clear on this.  I am for a balanced offense as I believe it is the most effective.  I think that Tulsa did a marvalous job at keeping balance this year, and I believe it served them well with less than Ideal talent.

WPS,
HogsWell

cthawg

ok but we run the *** spread. it is a run heavy version. you could throw every play out of the wing t but it is still a wing t. we run the spread formation.

HogsWellThenEndsWell

Quote from: hawgsav1 on December 08, 2007, 06:13:02 pm

The spread did not work on either side when Arkansas played USC.  THe only time the spread was even used was in the opening game the second year, and it failed miserably.

I am guessing that when you say "either side" that you are NOT referring USC running the spread offense.  Which is what I was referring to.  USC Did hang over 120 points on an SEC defense that proved to be pretty good in both years we played them.

I would not say that it was a failure.

WPS,
HogsWell

HogsWellThenEndsWell

Quote from: cthawg on December 08, 2007, 06:26:29 pm
ok but we run the *** spread. it is a run heavy version. you could throw every play out of the wing t but it is still a wing t. we run the spread formation.

I see your point, and I would just simply challenge you to find a single media outlet, link, recording, anything that refers to "Arkasnas's Spread Offense".  I understand what you are saying I just disagree with your definition of the Spread Offense.

WPS,
HogsWell

cthawg

Quote from: HogsWellThenEndsWell on December 08, 2007, 06:23:46 pm
Thanks you for making my points # 1  and #2 even more clear.  Just because you run a Spread Offense does not mean you are PASSING the ball on every down.

I will be very clear on this.  I am for a balanced offense as I believe it is the most effective.  I think that Tulsa did a marvalous job at keeping balance this year, and I believe it served them well with less than Ideal talent.

WPS,
HogsWell

So would you be upset if we called the same plays that WVU runs? I think you are confused about what the spread is. it is a formation. You have a problem with the play selection with in that formation. you want balance and that is fine doesnt change the formation though. we did run some other formations but we ran the spread all year long.

cthawg

Quote from: HogsWellThenEndsWell on December 08, 2007, 06:30:40 pm
I see your point, and I would just simply challenge you to find a single media outlet, link, recording, anything that refers to "Arkasnas's Spread Offense".  I understand what you are saying I just disagree with your definition of the Spread Offense.

WPS,
HogsWell

Last season they refered the wild cat or wild hog or whatever to the single wing. does it really matter what the media calls it? do you know what the single wing looks like? watch the notre dame of the 20's the four horse men that is the single wing looks absolutely nothing like what we ran the idea is the same the formation is totally different.

HogsWellThenEndsWell

Quote from: cthawg on December 08, 2007, 06:33:31 pm
So would you be upset if we called the same plays that WVU runs? I think you are confused about what the spread is. it is a formation. You have a problem with the play selection with in that formation. you want balance and that is fine doesnt change the formation though. we did run some other formations but we ran the spread all year long.

Ok.  Let me put it this way.

The Spread Offense is a formation that by most peoples definition is sending 3-4 wideouts AND your running backs/tight ends out on patterns on passing plays.  It usually leaves the QB with up to 5 different options to go to on passing plays.

Your calling what we run a "Spread Offense" (IMO) varies from what the majority of people call a "Spread Offense". In short you can call a pile of crap a rose, it doesn't make it a rose (or smell any better).

The commonly accepted Spread Formation is not what the Razorbacks ran.  Put simply please please find one reference to Arkansas running the Spread in any respectible media outlet and I will gladly concede your point.  Until then we will just have to be civil and agree to disagree.

WPS,
HogsWell

HogsWellThenEndsWell

Quote from: cthawg on December 08, 2007, 06:37:42 pm
Last season they refered the wild cat or wild hog or whatever to the single wing. does it really matter what the media calls it? do you know what the single wing looks like? watch the notre dame of the 20's the four horse men that is the single wing looks absolutely nothing like what we ran the idea is the same the formation is totally different.

I ran the Wing-T offense under Coach Barry Lunney Sr.    I know what a Single Wing and a Wing-T look like very well.  I would not call them a Spread Offense.

WPS,
HogsWell

hawgsav1

Quote from: cthawg on December 08, 2007, 06:37:42 pm

Actually the 1920s Notre Dame offense was the Rockne Box.  That wasn't really single wing.  THe single wing refers to having the "wingback" who is usually at the end of the line except one step back to ensure that he is eligible and not covering up receivers or TE

cthawg

Quote from: HogsWellThenEndsWell on December 08, 2007, 06:40:13 pm
Ok.  Let me put it this way.

The Spread Offense is a formation that by most peoples definition is sending 3-4 wideouts AND your running backs/tight ends out on patterns on passing plays.  It usually leaves the QB with up to 5 different options to go to on passing plays.

Your calling what we run a "Spread Offense" (IMO) varies from what the majority of people call a "Spread Offense". In short you can call a pile of crap a rose, it doesn't make it a rose (or smell any better).

The commonly accepted Spread Formation is not what the Razorbacks ran.  Put simply please please find one reference to Arkansas running the Spread in any respectible media outlet and I will gladly concede your point.  Until then we will just have to be civil and agree to disagree.

WPS,
HogsWell

Ok would you say we ran the same offense we did from last year?

HogsWellThenEndsWell

Quote from: cthawg on December 08, 2007, 06:43:52 pm

Close.  Play calling wasn't as effective, but we did NOT run a Spread Offense last year eaither.

WPS,
HogsWell

cthawg

Quote from: cthawg on December 08, 2007, 06:43:52 pm

I guess would you say we ran the spread last season?

hawgsav1

Last year's offense wasn't the spread for most of the year.  When we ran Gus Malzahn's offense from high school for the first four games, that was the spread, since we had 3-4 receivers on the field all the time.  That being said, we quickly switched back to the I-formation once we figured out that didn't work.

HogsWellThenEndsWell

Quote from: cthawg on December 08, 2007, 06:45:49 pm
I guess would you say we ran the spread last season?

For one series against USC we ran a spread HUNH offense.  It went for a touchdown, and we never saw it again.

WPS,
HogsWell

cthawg

hawgsav1

Quote from: HogsWellThenEndsWell on December 08, 2007, 06:46:43 pm
For one series against USC we ran a spread HUNH offense.  It went for a touchdown, and we never saw it again.

WPS,
HogsWell

Just because Mitch Mustain was under center for one series doesn't mean that it was the only series we ran a spread HUNH.  We ran that for the whole game, just Rojo was under center for most of it....

HogsWellThenEndsWell

Quote from: cthawg on December 08, 2007, 06:46:08 pm
ok here then

http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/wire?section=ncf&id=2604030

I did NOT say we NEVER lined up in a SPREAD FORMATION.  What I did say is we do not run a Spread Offense.  Just because we run one trick play out of a Spread Formation does NOT make it our base offense.

WPS,
HogsWell

HogsWellThenEndsWell

Quote from: hawgsav1 on December 08, 2007, 06:48:32 pm
Just because Mitch Mustain was under center for one series doesn't mean that it was the only series we ran a spread HUNH.  We ran that for the whole game, just Rojo was under center for most of it....

Please go back and watch that game.

WPS,
HogsWell