Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Gus's quarterback

Started by fishes2000, December 07, 2007, 12:05:50 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

fishes2000

If we hired Gus as HC could Casey run his offense next year? Is there a high school player ready to run it that would come to Arkansas? What about receivers? We didn't have a passing game this year and in Gus's offense you need one.  Will the players we didn't have come from a bunch of freshman?

BartIV

Youngblood???
With that name, he needs to be the starter, thats if he still comes to AR.

cthawg

actually you dont really need that much of a passing game to run the offense. I.E. WVU runs the same thing not that they dont throw it around. The wildhog is a version of the spread that is run heavy. What is required is a mobile QB which casey isnt that.

GusIsOmniscient

Gus made Paul at Tulsa win the national QB award. With his offense, Casey can improve drastically.
Quote from: imahoggie on December 07, 2007, 09:54:55 pm
rome wasnt built in a day.....but it would have been if gus had been there to run the hurry-up

The_Iceman

WVU's offense is basically the wildhog.

MinowBucket

We didn't have a passing game this year because HDN chose to not have one, just like every other year he was here. Our receivers are good enough to run Gus's system, Casey is probably good enough to do so as well. He just has never been given the chance. He wasn't given that chance and neither was Mustain when Gus was here. 

tbhogfan

Gus' game is much more possession oriented than it is longball oriented.  Casey has the arm to execute it, as do any of his current backups.  Jim Youngblood is committed to Ark and certainly has the ability to stretch the field.  I believe that Jim will redshirt next year no matter who the coach is.

As far as receivers, Lucas Miller and Crosby Tuck have proven themselves to be quite good.  Obviously, Gus would want to bring in more WR's.
Go Hogs!

Razorback Homer

Don't forget the David Lee's son-in-law ran Gus's offense at Shiloh Christian.  'Course, don't know if he'll transfer when daddy leaves...
"A government big enough to give you everything you want, is big enough to take away everything you have." - Thomas Jefferson

Hugulus Hog

Quote from: GusIsOmniscient on December 07, 2007, 12:10:20 pm
Gus made Paul at Tulsa win the national QB award. With his offense, Casey can improve drastically.

<cough> Kragthorpe <cough>
<cough> Paul Smith is a senior <cough>

chazicon

Talk about putting the cart before the horse.

theyrememberinnovember

I think Casey's a good quarterback but we need some recievers. He throws a better deep ball than just about anybody out there. We could run the spread if London Crawford wasn't scared of the middle, and if Reggie Fish was taller.

PeytonManningSUCKS

There is a thing called the "system quaterback", that would be nice for a qb to look better because of the system he's in, rather than regress because of it.

ballhawg12

Tyler Wilson runs the same offense. He might change his commitment based on what Gus does.

Nap

Just a guess, but I would think that Gus would leave Casey as starter, mostly to help gain the trust of the team, many of whom played for Gus during last season.  He would likely redshirt and groom a young QB like Youngblood to step in with the HUNH the following season.
I still can't believe that Fuzzy's is gone...

OKhogfan1959

If we hire Gus his system is perfect for Youngblood. if we had Gus LC and Fish would have a fair chance to catch the ball in practice. That is a very important thing to practice. Reggie won't grow taller but he will get a lot better at catching the ball

theyrememberinnovember

yeah crosby tuck is really good, strong possession reciever. he will be really valuable if we ever start throwing the ball.

razordan

Tyler Wilson from Greenwood

stevenwayneslane

Quote from: Hugulus Hog on December 07, 2007, 12:15:48 pm
Ummm so you think Kragthorpe would have put Smith in contention for that award this year? Cough cough why didn't Brian Brohm win it? You people kill me.

The_Iceman

lets just hope we get Gus first.

theyrememberinnovember

yeah but what are the chances that we offer gus the job? weve asked tuberville, which i think would be best, but we've asked tommy bowden, who sucks at coaching, he just has a famous name, and then jim grobe? who is he? he had one good year, and an ok year last year. i already dont like the new ad. I think the best choice is either gus malzahn or reggie herring.

Hogz17

Thank you stevenwayneslane.  My thoughts exactly.

RazorsEdge

December 07, 2007, 12:28:54 pm #21 Last Edit: December 07, 2007, 12:31:29 pm by RazorsEdge
Quote from: Hugulus Hog on December 07, 2007, 12:15:48 pm
<cough> Brian Brohm is a senior and was a Heisman contender<cough>

firemanhogfan

get the dick out!!  work with a youngster and let him have the job for 3 yrs., til he go to the nfl

ENHOG

Pull out Dick and the younger Dick in there!!!!
\\\"Any fool can criticize, condemn, and complain - and most fools do.\\\"

dman

PigPusher

The absolutely funny thing is that Coach Malzahn has the ability to make any half way talented QB into a prize winning stud. Has done it over and over again.
A loyal and proud Hogville Hog since 07-01-2003 "pushing" our hogs: And a loyal Razorback fan since 1954.

jackwalker

December 07, 2007, 12:42:52 pm #26 Last Edit: December 07, 2007, 12:46:03 pm by jackwalker
Assuming Gus gets the gig:

Tyler Wilson or Jim Youngblood will run the Gus offense of the future.

Tyler is a pocket passer, and Jim is a run and gunner.  Both have great talent.

Casey will play next year (he ran a spread offense in High School).

Our recievers are going to be fine:

London Crawford
Crosby Tuck
Lucas Miller
Marqus Wade
Carlton Salters
Jarius Wright
Rod Coleman

Not to mention TE's Ben Cleveland and Andrew Davie
HOW CAN YOU FIRE A COACH AFTER A 10 WIN SEASON?

THE SAME WAY YOU BENCH A QUATERBACK WHO NEVER LOST A GAME HE STARTED

If HDN does more with less...what happens when he has more?

Oh wait...2003...nevermind. Oh...and 2007...

SooiecidetillNuttgone

Quote from: theyrememberinnovember on December 07, 2007, 12:27:00 pm
i already dont like the new ad. I think the best choice is either gus malzahn or reggie herring.

Fixed that for you.
His response to me:
Quote from: hawginbigd1 on October 13, 2016, 11:48:33 am
So everyone one of the nationalized incidents were justified? There is no race problems with policing? If that is what you believe.....well bless your heart, it must be hard going through life with the obstacles you must have to overcome. Do they send a bus to come pick you up?

Hogmixer

Quote from: jackwalker on December 07, 2007, 12:42:52 pm

London Crawford
Crosby Tuck
Lucas Miller
Marqus Wade
Carlton Salters
Jarius Wright
Rod Coleman

Don't forget D.J. Williams.

MinowBucket

Quote from: stevenwayneslane on December 07, 2007, 12:22:47 pm
Ummm so you think Kragthorpe would have put Smith in contention for that award this year? Cough cough why didn't Brian Brohm win it? You people kill me.

With this thought process, I guess David Lee is responsible for DMac winning the Doak and Walter Camp awards.

USCoastGuard

December 07, 2007, 12:59:26 pm #30 Last Edit: December 07, 2007, 01:07:28 pm by USCoastGuard
gus has already told tyler he is his QB.
Come back over Gus!

RD

Quote from: jackwalker on December 07, 2007, 12:42:52 pm

Tyler Wilson or Jim Youngblood will run the Gus offense of the future.

Tyler is a pocket passer, and Jim is a run and gunner.  Both have great talent.

Casey will play next year (he ran a spread offense in High School).

London Crawford
Crosby Tuck
Lucas Miller
Marqus Wade
Carlton Salters
Jarius Wright
Rod Coleman

Tyler Wilson can run if he wants to. Ask Little Rock Christian and Camden Fairview. Youngblood isn't all he's cracked out to be.

RD

Quote from: USCoastGuard on December 07, 2007, 12:59:26 pm
gus has already told tyler he is his QB. just to let you know. if gus gets the job, tyler WILL follow.
While yes he may turn and commit to Arkansas, that is not OFFICIAL. My source Tyler's Dad

RazorsEdge

Quote from: MinowBucket on December 07, 2007, 12:55:52 pm
With this thought process, I guess David Lee is responsible for DMac winning the Doak and Walter Camp awards.
Or with the other thought process, you would give credit to last year's coach - Gus?

gilndoc

December 07, 2007, 01:31:15 pm #34 Last Edit: December 07, 2007, 01:33:05 pm by gilndoc
Quote from: RD on December 07, 2007, 01:00:19 pm
Tyler Wilson can run if he wants to. Ask Little Rock Christian and Camden Fairview. Youngblood isn't all he's cracked out to be.

Hey there Homer!

Tyler Wilson is a gamer and a winner.  If he did come here with Gus it would be a nice addition.  Gus will take the talent he has available and make the most of it.  I got a reciever to go with Wilson also, Roger Jackson.

hoosier

I think Casey is a better QB than most give him credit for. It's hard to line up at WR 3,4 or 5 plays in a row and then have to make a completion on 3rd and 9.

pressbox

Believe it or not, Nathan Dick CAN pass:

Here's a highlight tape from Allen, TX:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C0eBqkIjmXA

He's also in this Promo video for the 7-on-7 Shootout of the South:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uxa0JXNb5bQ&eurl=http://www.shootoutofthesouth.com/ 
Advance it to about 1:45 to see a few of Casey's passes.
"Power, Mr. Douglas....we need more power.   Capt. Lanny, I'm givin' it all we got....We need more servers sir...."
            --Lanny and Douglas, from the "Hogville" episode of Star Trek

slopinhogs

December 07, 2007, 01:57:09 pm #37 Last Edit: December 07, 2007, 01:59:43 pm by slopinhogs
WVA runs the single wing offence that resembles the wild hog, just has more options.

did you notice how effective his offencive line was :razorback:
win lose or tie i'll call the hogs till i die

VenturaHog

Gus has proven this year that he can make his offense the most prolific in the nation even with crap talent. He will make it work no matter who he has to work with.

HOGPICKER

Casey would be fine.  He'll surprise us next year.  Dicks biggest problem was having a Nutt on his back.
"Nobody in football should be called a genius. A genius is a guy like Norman Einstein."  Joe Theismann

Annax10

Quote from: gilndoc on December 07, 2007, 01:31:15 pm
Hey there Homer!

Did you watch those games?  Tyler had the longest run of the 5A state championship game against LR Christian.  That's including LRCA's leading rusher Michael Dyer.

Tyler is perfect for Gus's offense.

PigPusher

Quote from: VenturaHog on December 07, 2007, 02:01:18 pm
Gus has proven this year that he can make his offense the most prolific in the nation even with crap talent. He will make it work no matter who he has to work with.

That is right on point. It is what makes Malzahn a great football mind. We will be sorry one day that we did not have faith in him by not bringing him back.
A loyal and proud Hogville Hog since 07-01-2003 "pushing" our hogs: And a loyal Razorback fan since 1954.

gilndoc

Quote from: Annax10 on December 07, 2007, 02:59:48 pm
Did you watch those games?  Tyler had the longest run of the 5A state championship game against LR Christian.  That's including LRCA's leading rusher Michael Dyer.

Tyler is perfect for Gus's offense.

Nope, missed it.  Had the BB's out already.  BTW congrats on the 3peat.  He can run, longest I saw was 30-40 yd run. Deceptively fast kind of like Matt Jones.  Better get a good angle on him.  He can take some good licks and pop right back up.  Like I said, he is a gamer.

woghild

Note to all vengeful, deposed Dork-lovers:

I hope you're noticing in this post how us "Darksiders" are graciously
considering how Hooten's QB Casey Dick might well fit into Gus' sets. 

jcm0

Quote from: PigPusher on December 07, 2007, 12:40:36 pm
The absolutely funny thing is that Coach Malzahn has the ability to make any half way talented QB into a prize winning stud. Has done it over and over again.

He just finished his second year of college coaching.

PigPusher

Quote from: jcm0 on December 07, 2007, 04:16:19 pm
He just finished his second year of college coaching.

Yes and developed about five QB's before he got there including Smith who he improved dramatically in just one season.

PigPusher

December 07, 2007, 04:39:03 pm #46 Last Edit: December 07, 2007, 05:02:24 pm by PigPusher
Note to all vengeful, deposed Dork-lovers:

I hope you're noticing in this post how us "Darksiders" are graciously
considering how Hooten's QB Casey Dick might well fit into Gus' sets.

----------------
Now-a-days using the term darksider to describe one's self is like having a dirty butt with much of it on your shorts and some on your thumb.  Give it a rest. Why continue with the divisive terms used in an attempt to divide the Hog populous. In other words GROW THE FRICK UP!

SpiritHog

Quote from: fishes2000 on December 07, 2007, 12:05:50 pm
If we hired Gus as HC could Casey run his offense next year? Is there a high school player ready to run it that would come to Arkansas? What about receivers? We didn't have a passing game this year and in Gus's offense you need one.  Will the players we didn't have come from a bunch of freshman?

Not the most intelligent post.  Casey Dick ran this offense last year.  Oh, and better than Mitch.  Fewer interceptions!
Non Illegitimus Carborundum

PeytonManningSUCKS

Quote from: SPIRITHOG on December 07, 2007, 04:39:52 pm
Not the most intelligent post.  Casey Dick ran this offense last year.  Oh, and better than Mitch.  Fewer interceptions!
Nice trying to incite people...  Casey and Mitch were comparable except in the win column.  And neither of them ran Gus' offense.  That said I think Casey will do fine and alot of our QB problems lied in HDN's hands and run oriented system. 

PigPusher

December 07, 2007, 04:43:51 pm #49 Last Edit: December 07, 2007, 05:03:05 pm by PigPusher
Quote from: SPIRITHOG on December 07, 2007, 04:39:52 pm

Mitch was a freshman right out of high school freshman too.