Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

I hope...

Started by Big Papa Satan, December 06, 2007, 08:45:14 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Big Papa Satan

that all you cultists that scream, bitch, and have raised hell about any coach now named Gus Malzhan (pbuh) are happy.

He's a good high school coach, but leave the "we passed on Jimmy Johnson, we're doing the same here with Gus" crap alone.  Johnson was far and away better at that point in his career (HC at Oklahoma State, no less) than Gus is right now.

Leave it be.  The man is simply not ready.

HawgBallLvr

+1111111111111111111111
2010 Liberty Bowl Champions!!

Team Oklahoma

Maybe since you know he isnt ready you should take the job, sounds like you know best. Guess you would have settled for Grobe?

oppybrit

He is ready! He has a great  Football mind, obviously he understands offence.... and he must have a grasp on defence or his offence would not be number one in collage ball !!!

firemanhogfan

speculation, my friend, speculation.  the gus fans and the gus haters are doing nothing but speculating whether or not he is ready.

Big Papa Satan

Quote from: Team Oklahoma on December 06, 2007, 08:48:12 pm
Maybe since you know he isnt ready you should take the job, sounds like you know best. Guess you would have settled for Grobe?

I would have taken Grobe.

I'm not willing to settle for Gus.

The NewEra

Every move Gus has made he has been successful.  Speculation on him seems to be a good bet.

Kilgor

He's 42 years old.  Lane Kiffin is 31.  Quit acting like he is a kid.

If he had been our OC for the last two years instead of going to Tulsa, you wouldn't raise an eyebrow about him being promoted.
Northwest Arkansas gardening and critter raising:

http://www.backyardfreshfoods.com/

Oliver

Quote from: Uncle Ivan on December 06, 2007, 08:51:09 pm

Gus was not my first choice...but if the list really comes down to Reggie Herring, Terry Bowden, Skip Holtz, and Gus Malzahn.  It's Malzahn every time and it's not even close.

Team Oklahoma

Well Uncle Ivan, you didnt get your man, now lets see if Gus can take over the controls, I say yes Gus is loading the Bus

BradyHolzhauer

I will settle for Gus, but you have your point, and we will agree to disagree.
-B

oppybrit

getting Gus would not be "settling"...It would grabbing the brass ring!!!

stevenwayneslane

I think he would do a great job. Why does anyone think that any other Cord. would do better.  From what I have heard from people close to the coaches that Gus was a much harder worker than anyone them down there. He was all business and didn't fit in with all the bsers down there because they wanted to set around and BS insted of work.

oppybrit

My bad!! It would be grabbing the NC ring!!

HawgBallLvr

I agree, I liked Grobe. If Gus is hired, down deep in my heart I know it would be a bad hire. But I will continue to support my HOGS!
2010 Liberty Bowl Champions!!

jkstock04

Quote from: Uncle Ivan on December 06, 2007, 08:45:14 pm
that all you cultists that scream, ****, and have raised hell about any coach now named Gus Malzhan (pbuh) are happy.

He's a good high school coach, but leave the "we passed on Jimmy Johnson, we're doing the same here with Gus" crap alone.  Johnson was far and away better at that point in his career (HC at Oklahoma State, no less) than Gus is right now.

Other than the fact that he's still a little green to college football...what evidence do you have of this?  His overall record speaks for itself...and more importantly, he seems highly intelligent, which is something we've sorely missed the past 10 years.  I say he's the obvious choice for us at this point in the game.
Thanks for the F Shack. 

Love,

Dirty Mike and the Boys

hoopitup3

I wanted Gus from the start.  Even ahead of BD.

dafe1

this thread is full of lose.

hawgdog2005

Uncle Ivan quit crying.  Perhaps some of the hugger kool-aid would sooth your nerves or perhaps a rainbow fart from Rick would clear your senses.  Gus is a class act and knows how to win.  Apparently the coaching job at Arkansas isn't as desireable as a lot of you think it is.  At least Dale is still gone I think

oppybrit

5 news survey ...97% want Gus....very telling..

chiefsfan

I dont really want Malzhan Ideally.   But I will take him if it comes down to him and Skip Holtz or something

I still say Peterson at Boise, go get him
Honor and Integrity no longer exist in the world of college football.  It is only filled with liar's cheater's, and traitors.

NMHog

December 06, 2007, 09:00:20 pm #21 Last Edit: December 06, 2007, 09:02:39 pm by NMHog

The question appears to be, at this point, who ARE we willing to settle for?  Most of the top choices have essentially turned us down for better money where they are.

Don't we all just need to realize that we are settling for someone, and the fracture in the fan base will not be fixed by our next coach.  We all need to come together and fix it ourselves.  That is where we are now.  Let's all get over who we want to be our coach and get ready to support whomever "signs on the dotted line".

Plus, when we get our new coach, there should be no gloting by saying "my first choice", "I knew it all along", or even "told you so".  That attitude will not fix the real problem that is going on now.

For the sake of the University of Arkansas Razorbacks.
Debt is dumb, cash is king, and the paid-off home mortgage has taken the place of the BMW as the status symbol of choice. - Dave Ramsey

bootzilla

offensive brilliance comes in the form of winning games - much more than producing a leading offense at the expense of your defense.

If Gus can ensure his offense won't thrive at the expense of our defense, I'm game.

Maybe we hire a DC and give him a copy of Gus' book?

Defense wins championships. 

Hawg_Heaven

Uncle Ivan,

I have known you since we were in Sportsville. I usually agree with you, but I disagree with you on this. Malzahn has "it". I can't expain "it", but he has "it". I see so much potential with him and he just so happens to be from our own backyard. The guy will be great, and I want him to be great here.

Big Papa Satan

Just from this thread alone, Robert Shields is exactly right about the "Cult of Malzhan". 

Listening to the rhetoric, you'd think he was Jesus Christ by listening to some of you.

I'm not willing to settle for an overhyped gimmick coach with two years of college experience.  Scream all you like, but he is not ready.

Quote from: oppybrit on December 06, 2007, 08:49:00 pm
He is ready! He has a great  Football mind, obviously he understands offence.... and he must have a grasp on defence or his offence would not be number one in collage ball !!!
Can he spell?

The Marmot

that all you cultists that scream, ****, and have raised hell about any coach now named Gus Malzhan (pbuh) are happy.

Well put Ivan....
I was booooorn to love you... I was booooorn to lick your face... I was booooorn to rub you... but you were born to rub me first - Ty Webb

Quote from: WilsonHog on October 28, 2014, 06:59:50 pm
The fact that you can type the words doesn't stop the thought behind those words from being horseshit.

GO HOGS!!!!!!!

Big Papa Satan

Quote from: Hawg_Heaven on December 06, 2007, 09:03:37 pmMalzahn has "it".

I'm not so sure why that's so special.  Lots of high school coaches in this state have "it".  Malzhan's not better than all of them.

Not to mention, a fancy offense that puts up lots of numbers and looks pretty is not needed to succeed in this conference as much as it is a nasty, nail-chewing defense.  I see no evidence to judge that any defense Malzhan would have here would even be adequate.

GoHogs#1

No more of a "Cult" then the HDN Supporters!!!!!!!!
Go Hogs

Hawg_Heaven

Quote from: Uncle Ivan on December 06, 2007, 09:06:31 pm
I'm not so sure why that's so special.  Lots of high school coaches in this state have "it".  Malzhan's not better than all of them.

Not to mention, a fancy offense that puts up lots of numbers and looks pretty is not needed to succeed in this conference as much as it is a nasty, nail-chewing defense.  I see no evidence to judge that any defense Malzhan would have here would even be adequate.

Hawg2011 says it all. Read his thread.

LuckyGiraffe

Quote from: HawgBallLvr on December 06, 2007, 08:55:39 pm
I agree, I liked Grobe. If Gus is hired, down deep in my heart I know think it would be a bad hire. But I will continue to support my HOGS!

fixed that for you.  no one knows!

That's why this argument is kind of crazy.

At this point I just want a coach that wants to come and take this program to the next level. If it is Gus then so be it, and I will root for him and the hogs whole-heartedly.  :razorback:

I think too many people discount his years as a HS HC.  While I agree and understand that HS is not the same as D1, he has been VERY successful.  Remember people talked about how crazy it was that he went straight to being an OC without putting in his dues, yet he was SUCCESSFUL.  I just don't know how so many people KNOW that he would fail as a HC so soon. ???

pipehog

Bowden or  Gus
Reggie or Gus
Grobe or Gus

I'm sorry if these are my choices I pick the high school coach, let's hire him a tutor and he'll be fine, he can learn on the job.

LuckyGiraffe

Quote from: Uncle Ivan on December 06, 2007, 09:06:31 pm

This argument is pretty WEAK... The Hogs defense sucks right now and people want to promote Herring!

SteelShot

Thank you!
"Dorothy Mantooth is a Saint!"

Big Papa Satan

Quote from: Hawg2011 on December 06, 2007, 09:05:45 pm
So you are telling me that the man who wrote a book that many coaches view as a supplemental guide to their offense. A man who runs a coaching camp for COLLEGE coaches, who took Tulsa to top 10 in offense, even in a weak conference, who gave us the hogwild formation, isnt ready? We aren't gonna be GREAT the next two years anyways. Let Malzahn learn the job as Arkansas is learning to rebuild and re unite if he has the desire to be our coach then forget all you huggers and nay sayers I'll back him. I'd take malzahn over all the Tommy Bowdens and Jim Grobes in the country. Let's take a shot instead of running this third and five up the middle.

If you'd take Malzhan over a Grobe or a Butch Davis, then you really are blind and there's no point in debating it.

So he wrote a book.  BFD.  Lots of coaches write them.  So he lectures other college coaches.  He's not the only one who does.

You act like all the things Malzhan's done are exclusive to him. 

Where will he get a top-notch staff?  Don't tell me someone like Don Streubing, or Josh Floyd as assistants.  None of those have college experience, and in Floyd's case, he's not even a good coach.

Todd Dodge is as qualified with those same standards as Gus is, actually more qualified - hey, let's hire him instead.

Blue35

Dear Uncle, just what would you consider as being "ready"?

jmurph

Uncle you are the smartest fellow on this board!  You know it all.  If you think Gus is not ready then by damn I guess your right!  By the way, just who in the hell do you think we should hire?  I bet if you think the guy is right he will crawl to the hill because UNCLE IVAN said so!!!!

The Marmot

Quote from: Uncle Ivan on December 06, 2007, 09:11:06 pm

Todd Dodge is as qualified with those same standards as Gus is, actually more qualified - hey, let's hire him instead.

As is Mike Leach......
I was booooorn to love you... I was booooorn to lick your face... I was booooorn to rub you... but you were born to rub me first - Ty Webb

Quote from: WilsonHog on October 28, 2014, 06:59:50 pm
The fact that you can type the words doesn't stop the thought behind those words from being horseshit.

GO HOGS!!!!!!!

Big Papa Satan

Quote from: Blue35 on December 06, 2007, 09:12:42 pm
Dear Uncle, just what would you consider as being "ready"?

Someone with more than simply two years at the college level.

jmurph

OK Uncle, go get Todd Dodge.  I bet he is crawling to the Hill as we speak!

Big Papa Satan

Quote from: jmurph on December 06, 2007, 09:13:47 pm
Uncle you are the smartest fellow on this board!  You know it all.  If you think Gus is not ready then by damn I guess your right!  By the way, just who in the hell do you think we should hire?  I bet if you think the guy is right he will crawl to the hill because UNCLE IVAN said so!!!!

This is what I mean by cult mentality.  Anyone that dares question them gets a flurry of ad hominem attacks.

Talking with Malzhanistas is like talking with Ron Paul supporters.  Both are insane, to varying degrees.

LuckyGiraffe

Quote from: Uncle Ivan on December 06, 2007, 09:13:57 pm
Someone with more than simply two years at the college level.

So I ask again... You are totally discounting his 14 years as a successful HC at the HS level?  Then why not discount Coordinator time at the D1 level, because that is definitely NOT even close to dealing with what a HC has to do.

Kilgor

Quote from: Uncle Ivan on December 06, 2007, 09:11:06 pm
If you'd take Malzhan over a Grobe or a Butch Davis, then you really are blind and there's no point in debating it.

So he wrote a book.  BFD.  Lots of coaches write them.  So he lectures other college coaches.  He's not the only one who does.

You act like all the things Malzhan's done are exclusive to him. 

Where will he get a top-notch staff?  Don't tell me someone like Don Streubing, or Josh Floyd as assistants.  None of those have college experience, and in Floyd's case, he's not even a good coach.

Grobe and Davis aren't options.

Grobe and Davis > Malzahn

However, Malzahn > Herring, Skip Holtz, etc.

LuckyGiraffe

btw UncleIvan.... Gus is not my first choice for HC... just think it is crazy that people totally dismiss him.

Kilgor

Quote from: Uncle Ivan on December 06, 2007, 09:15:33 pm
This is what I mean by cult mentality.  Anyone that dares question them gets a flurry of ad hominem attacks.

Talking with Malzhanistas is like talking with Ron Paul supporters.  Both are insane, to varying degrees.

I'm pretty sure that you engaged is said as hominem attacks on anyone that supported Malzahn as head coach.

Big Papa Satan

Quote from: Kilgor on December 06, 2007, 09:17:30 pm
I'm pretty sure that you engaged is said as hominem attacks on anyone that supported Malzahn as head coach.

Not even so.

Then again, I never brought someone's age and position on a message board into it.  Doing so would've gotten an immediate ban from a lot of people here.

Kilgor

Quote from: Uncle Ivan on December 06, 2007, 09:19:17 pm
Not even so.

Then again, I never brought someone's age and position on a message board into it.  Doing so would've gotten an immediate ban from a lot of people here.

If that's what you feel like you have to do, I'll live.

Big Papa Satan

Quote from: hawgfan923 on December 06, 2007, 09:15:57 pm
So I ask again... You are totally discounting his 14 years as a successful HC at the HS level?

To an extent.  It doesn't begin to compare to a coordinator level.

Lest we forget, at the high school level, Malzhan only won big when he had overwhelming advantages in talent and/or depth.

jmurph

INSANE!  I have an opinion just like you do UNCLE IVAN.  You are putting yourself on a slippery slop just like HDN!  You are not all that even if you think you are.  Calling people name is just what folks like you do when you don't get your way, I bet you even voted for little bill and are getting a stiff one waiting for hillary.  To stoop to your level, I am not insane, just not as smart as some folks think they are UNCL IVAN!

GoHogs#1

Do players go play somewhere before they enter college??? Surely they couldn't come straight out of "High School" and play in college.

"Todd Dodge is as qualified with those same standards as Gus is, actually more qualified - hey, let's hire him instead."

I guess they didn't think he was more qualified when they went after Gus to be the OC last year.
Go Hogs