Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Sell Me on Jim Grobe... cause I just don't see it

Started by _Collin1, December 06, 2007, 12:08:01 am

Previous topic - Next topic

_Collin1

Quote from: Qknight on December 06, 2007, 12:55:24 am
My first post here guys.. and I must say that I am somewhat dumbfounded by this move:

here is the bio on Grobe:

Jim Grobe (b. February 17, 1952 in Huntington, West Virginia) is an American college football head coach. He is in his seventh season with The Wake Forest University Demon Deacons. Prior to coaching at Wake Forest, he was coach of the Ohio Bobcats from 1995-2000, where he compiled a 33-33-1 record. His all-time record hovers around 50%. 
Coaching career (HC unless noted)

Overall    78-72-1

Coaching career (HC unless noted)
1975       Virginia (GA)
1978      Emory & Henry (LB)
1979-83      Marshall (LB)
1984-94      Air Force (LB)
1995-2000   Ohio
2001-2007    Wake Forest

a career .500 record -- and one winning season in the ACC does not an SEC coach make.. Who considers the talent/play of the ACC up to par with the SEC
not quite sure what to make of the administration and this hire if it actually does go through.

I will support the HOGS! for ever, but I have to be convinced.. anyone know what his recruiting skills were like while he was at Wake..

According to Phil Steele the past 4 years, he has never landed anyone who was better than 29th at their position.
Arkansas Alumni: Undergrad 2000, Graduate 2002
Voter: Heisman | Ray Guy | Biletnikoff
Action Network: https://www.actionnetwork.com/article/author/collin-wilson
The Athletic: https://theathletic.com/author/collin-wilson/

Erockster20

Quote from: BigC51 on December 06, 2007, 12:56:33 am
  He will probably already have a NC under his belt as a coordinator and the price will be sky high.

Who cares how much it will cost.  The money will and would have supported Gus anyway.

Chief_Osceola

Quote from: BigC51 on December 06, 2007, 12:53:25 am
This coming from the guy in the 5th best BCS conference out of 6, and the 3rd best program in his state.

Any Henderson St. guys want to jump on tonight?

LOL.  It's even funnier because you actually believe that.  You don't take a team like Wake Forest to a BCS bowl without being a good coach.  You really have no idea how bad Wake was before Grobe got there, do you?

_Collin1

Quote from: 311Hog on December 06, 2007, 12:44:48 am
stop being stupid he isnt talking about filling a team of smaller slower "work hard" kids he is saying that he would take those kids and let them MAKE themselves football players, because i will tell you truthfully a kid with a motor will whip a lazy kid's ass every day of the week smaller slower wont matter.

....  in the ACC

311Hog

Quote from: BigC51 on December 06, 2007, 12:56:33 am
  He will probably already have a NC under his belt as a coordinator and the price will be sky high.

yeah because Tulsa is just a step away from that BCS Title birth right?

Believe me i have all the respect and love for Gus as anyone, but some of you are getting F'in sick with this shiet.  The man has little to know experience, he has 2 1 year examples of "possiblity" it takes more then that.

If Gus would have been hired i would feel pretty much exactly how i feel now, of all the coaches mentioned for our job i would pick Grobe, over Bowden, Leach, Mich DC, herring, Tubberville, even Gus.

He has proven he can win even in the most impossible of situations, he wont have to struggle here for resources or players if he can get them to buy in it could be glorious, if not then well we will revisit this problem in 3 years.

_Collin1

Quote from: Chief_Osceola on December 06, 2007, 12:58:19 am
LOL.  It's even funnier because you actually believe that.  You don't take a team like Wake Forest to a BCS bowl without being a good coach.  You really have no idea how bad Wake was before Grobe got there, do you?

I really believe that if your team, Miami, Clemson, and Ga Tech hadnt fallen off the map then Wake never would have made the Orange Bowl.  The guy has a career .500 record.  You are using one year of stats when he had 2 deep of 5th year seniors. 

AND DONT talk about this year...  Navy, Duke, Army, and Vandy????

311Hog

Quote from: BigC51 on December 06, 2007, 12:58:59 am
....  in the ACC

Let me introduce to you something it is called a high horse, please check your SEC ego it has grown unnecessarily large.

311Hog

Quote from: BigC51 on December 06, 2007, 01:00:57 am
I really believe that if your team, Miami, Clemson, and Ga Tech hadnt fallen off the map then Wake never would have made the Orange Bowl.  The guy has a career .500 record.  You are using one year of stats when he had 2 deep of 5th year seniors. 

god damn man you are dense you keep pointing to these great 5th year seniors that probably werent even RATED by rivals coming out of high school, you wanna sing Gus praise at Tulsa with their low level of talent, Tulsa's talent compared to WF is a pretty even match.

Do i need to remind you?  University of Tenn Chattasucks, and all the other shiet bag teams on our schedule?

_Collin1

Quote from: 311Hog on December 06, 2007, 12:59:42 am
yeah because Tulsa is just a step away from that BCS Title birth right?

Believe me i have all the respect and love for Gus as anyone, but some of you are getting F'in sick with this shiet.  The man has little to know experience, he has 2 1 year examples of "possiblity" it takes more then that.

If Gus would have been hired i would feel pretty much exactly how i feel now, of all the coaches mentioned for our job i would pick Grobe, over Bowden, Leach, Mich DC, herring, Tubberville, even Gus.

He has proven he can win even in the most impossible of situations, he wont have to struggle here for resources or players if he can get them to buy in it could be glorious, if not then well we will revisit this problem in 3 years.

Im not wetting the bed with excitement every night over Gus, but the guy is a winner.  He has won at every level and he will continue to do that.  Tulsa was predicted to be 4th in their division and they lost their conf championship... kind of like Arkansas 2006.

Wait until Gus gets HIS chance.  The price on him will go up millions.

Franchise Hawgs

who cares about selling you on Jim Grobe? why does anyone have to hire someone you are happy with? your best alternative is Gus

_Collin1

Quote from: NinoHog on December 06, 2007, 01:02:53 am
If you look at this weak ACC confrence where would we place. Would we beat BC no, how about VT nope, UVA aint gonna happen, FSU with Hotten nope, Clemson on good day might get ugly they can score. Those are four games I could see as L's.

You are even more of a joke.  We beat LSU, they beat Va Tech....  Va Tech beat BC.  You think we would lose to UVA?  You think FSU or Clemson would be DMAC and Felix?  Quit smoking crack and get off your moms computer.

Chief_Osceola

Quote from: BigC51 on December 06, 2007, 01:00:57 am

He's been there since 2001.  I'm speaking for his entire body of work at Wake.  Their winning percentage under the previous coach was just a shade under .300.  I guess we'll see next year how much of an impact he had at Wake.  They will have a load of upperclassmen again.  Everyone else around the ACC seems to think they'll again be in the cellar.

passinghog

Quote from: 311Hog on December 06, 2007, 01:02:21 am
god damn man you are dense you keep pointing to these great 5th year seniors that probably werent even RATED by rivals coming out of high school, you wanna sing Gus praise at Tulsa with their low level of talent, Tulsa's talent compared to WF is a pretty even match.

the thing is though, not even being a Tulsa-hugger, what Tulsa did this year was with a team full of freshman and sophomores at the playmaker positions and a senior quarterback.
That's a big difference.

_Collin1

Quote from: Franchise Hawgs on December 06, 2007, 01:03:09 am
who cares about selling you on Jim Grobe? why does anyone have to hire someone you are happy with? your best alternative is Gus
Its a discussion board.  If I wanted to talk about Paula Dean's recipes I would go to her board.  If I wanted to talk about Arkansas Basketball I would go to the hoops forum.  I am talking about the new Razorback football coach.  I want to hear what sold our administration on him. 

311Hog

December 06, 2007, 01:06:17 am #114 Last Edit: December 06, 2007, 01:07:49 am by 311Hog
Quote from: BigC51 on December 06, 2007, 01:02:54 am
Im not wetting the bed with excitement every night over Gus, but the guy is a winner.  He has won at every level and he will continue to do that.  Tulsa was predicted to be 4th in their division and they lost their conf championship... kind of like Arkansas 2006.

Wait until Gus gets HIS chance.  The price on him will go up millions.

and what would you call Grobe? i would call him a winner even more so then Gus.

Gus came into an Arkansas program that was FULL of talent, Grobe has entered every job he has had with ABSOLUTELY NO TALENT TRADITION FACILITIES and yet he has turned it around and won?

how?

How in gods name do you take a program that has won a total of 9 games in 5 years, and win 11 games with the same kids that couldnt win their way out of a paper bag?

I will give you a hint, it is because the man knows how to coach the game of football, he doesnt rely on having the single greatest back field in Arkansas history or in the history of College football to win 8 games.

_Collin1

Quote from: 311Hog on December 06, 2007, 01:02:21 am

Do i need to remind you?  University of Tenn Chattasucks, and all the other shiet bag teams on our schedule?
Whats the conflict here?  Scheduling of Arkansas, Tulsa and WF?

Erockster20

Quote from: 311Hog on December 06, 2007, 01:06:17 am

Gus came into an Arkansas program that was FULL of talent, Grobe has entered every job he has had with ABSOLUTELY NO TALENT TRADITION FACILITIES and yet he has turned it around and won?

how?

How in gods name do you take a program that has won a total of 9 games in 5 years, and win 11 games with the same kids that couldnt win their way out of a paper bag?

I will give you a hint, it is because the man knows how to coach the game of football, he doesnt rely on having the single greatest back field in Arkansas history or in the history of College football to win 8 games.

Good point!

Smokehouse

Quote from: Franchise Hawgs on December 06, 2007, 01:03:09 am

there are plenty of other alternatives than Gus. Rather than getting a HC at another school where it is questionable he'll win it all here, I'd take any one of the talented assitants out there with the chance of huge success they have... Muschamp, Strong and Venables come to mind first.
QuoteSometimes a warrior just has to lay down on the ground there for a minute and just have a good bleed. Just bleed.

Words of wisdom from John Pelphrey.

311Hog

I rather have a coach that knows his shiet and can win even without "NFL 1st rounders" because you wont always have Dmac's on your team, Nutt would just suffer through losing seasons until the mothers of arkansas produced another freak of nature because he didnt know shiet about coaching.

Grobe is not that way.

_Collin1

Quote from: 311Hog on December 06, 2007, 01:06:17 am

how?

You have a Gus problem?  I never pulled for Gus as coach, I think he needs a few more years.  This thread is about Grobe and what our administration saw in him.  He is a career .500 guy.  He is 37-35 at Wake.  I guess that classifies him as a winner.  So you are using his 11 win season as proof that he is an awesome coach? 

I didnt see anyone else knocking on his door.  As a matter of fact, I saw us give half the coaches in the ACC extensions before he got a call.

Franchise Hawgs

then talk to the adminstrators,
you come on here acting like someone owes you something

go log onto your Gus Fan site and get off a Razorback Board

Give the man at least one year

Smokehouse

Quote from: Franchise Hawgs on December 06, 2007, 01:09:59 am
then talk to the adminstrators,
you come on here acting like someone owes you something

go log onto your Gus Fan site and get off a Razorback Board

Give the man at least one year

how many times does he have to point out that he's not A. already calling for Grobe's firing or B. supporting Gus for HC.
QuoteSometimes a warrior just has to lay down on the ground there for a minute and just have a good bleed. Just bleed.

311Hog

Quote from: BigC51 on December 06, 2007, 01:09:55 am
You have a Gus problem?  I never pulled for Gus as coach, I think he needs a few more years.  This thread is about Grobe and what our administration saw in him.  He is a career .500 guy.  He is 37-35 at Wake.  I guess that classifies him as a winner.  So you are using his 11 win season as proof that he is an awesome coach? 

I didnt see anyone else knocking on his door.  As a matter of fact, I saw us give half the coaches in the ACC extensions before he got a call.

no i dont have a gus problem i just dont blind myself to facts because they dont support my point of view.

When Gus got to the hill he had the greatest backfield in Hog history, a good O line, decent WR's a good defense, a good fan base, great stadiums, and a winning tradition at some level in some point in time.

Gus didnt step into the OC job at lets say Army where they never win and no one ever expects them to win and get OC of the year did he? no of course not.

The point of this is that Grobe did shiet that NO ONE thought was possible, and unlike some coaches who "ride their players abilities" like Nutt and Dmac or Nutt and Matt Jones, Grobe didnt win because he "landed one 5 star recruit" and milk him for all he was worth. He won as a team.

Hogdomer

He was contacted by Tom Osborne earlier in the year about the Nebraska job.  He was also on the short list for Michigan and UCLA (the articles are buried in a thread started by woo pig stewie, I think).

Chief_Osceola

If we were talking a middle to top tier BCS school, you'd have a great point.  Please, keep in mind Wake was only a small step above Duke.

Franchise Hawgs

I'm just messing with you BigC51, I'm a huge Gus fan and hoped the U of A would do better but it is what it is...

SC Hogman

Quote from: ckhawgu on December 06, 2007, 12:43:03 am
His teams have done really well the last couple of years. Lost a couple of close games they actually could have won. At least he's beaten both Ole Miss and Vandy the last couple of years when they have played one or the other teams pretty soundly. That is with his inferior ACC WF talent. If he can do that with guys that are slow & undersized, imagine what he can do with guys that are SEC quality!

I've also read that he likes to redshirt his incoming fresman classes. Can anyone verify if that is true or not? I'd like to see him finally develop some depth on this HOG team where we need it acorss the board!

Yes he likes to redshirt his freshmen.  Because of depth he was forced to play some first year kids.

_Collin1

Quote from: 311Hog on December 06, 2007, 01:13:34 am
no i dont have a gus problem i just dont blind myself to facts because they dont support my point of view.

When Gus got to the hill he had the greatest backfield in Hog history, a good O line, decent WR's a good defense, a good fan base, great stadiums, and a winning tradition at some level in some point in time.

Gus didnt step into the OC job at lets say Army where they never win and no one ever expects them to win and get OC of the year did he? no of course not.

The point of this is that Grobe did shiet that NO ONE thought was possible, and unlike some coaches who "ride their players abilities" like Nutt and Dmac or Nutt and Matt Jones, Grobe didnt win because he "landed one 5 star recruit" and milk him for all he was worth. He won as a team.
I think Grobe's success can also be attributed to Miami, FSU, NC State, and UNC being about as low as they have been in a 20 year span.

Erockster20

Quote from: Chief_Osceola on December 06, 2007, 01:13:53 am
If we were talking a middle to top tier BCS school, you'd have a great point.  Please, keep in mind Wake was only a small step above Duke.

Thats a good point.  Spurrier won an ACC title at Duke, then went to Florida.  If we could repeat what happened next, I would be pretty happy. 

311Hog

Quote from: Erockster20 on December 06, 2007, 01:18:25 am
Thats a good point.  Spurrier won an ACC title at Duke, then went to Florida.  If we could repeat what happened next, I would be pretty happy. 

ding ding

_Collin1

Quote from: Franchise Hawgs on December 06, 2007, 01:14:43 am
I'm just messing with you BigC51, I'm a huge Gus fan and hoped the U of A would do better but it is what it is...

I like Gus too, but I am in no means starting a FIRE GROBE HIRE GUS thread.  I dont believe that at all.  I dont think Gus is ready for Head Coaching Duties in the SEC.  Now getting another OC stint against peeps like Muschamp and Pelini will do him good.

I was pulling for one coach alone... and its the same coach I pulled for 10 years ago this week.  Tuberville.

Nate-Hawg

December 06, 2007, 01:20:43 am #131 Last Edit: December 06, 2007, 01:25:10 am by nate8406
To BigC51:

Let me ask you a question. Why do you think it is so important that you are "sold" on the guy? Either you like him or you don't. You obviously don't. And believe me, Grobe couldn't care less if you are "sold" on him or not.  And I speak for most of the people on Hogville when I say that we don't either.

I'm not going to try to "sell" you on the guy, but I will tell you what I think about him.

He was definately not my first choice...or second...or third for that matter. But that was because I didn't know as much about him as I should have.  This guy was put in a definate losing situation, and won.  I don't care what the guys record is.  That isn't everything.  

If you took the worlds best coach ever and set him up as the HC of the Duke Blue Devils football team, what kind of overall record and team accomplishments would you expect from him in seven years??  Well, how about a conference title and a BCS match-up?  I certainly wouldn't expect that from anyone.  

You have to look at the schools limitations.  You have to look at the disadvantages that he had in that "watered down conference".  And above all, you have to remember that before Grobe arrived, Wake Forest was THE "watered down team" in that "watered down conference".  

Looks to me like the man took a paperclip, a match, and a stick of gum, and built a friggin woodshed to whip people in.  And it sounds to me like everyone in the ACC is proud to have that woodshed torn down.

Besides, He is YOUR Arkansas Razorbacks new HEAD COACH!  You should support him fully until he gives you a good reason not to.

GO HOGS!!!      :razorback:

_Collin1

December 06, 2007, 01:23:19 am #132 Last Edit: December 06, 2007, 01:25:06 am by BigC51
Quote from: 311Hog on December 06, 2007, 01:19:22 am
ding ding

College Football has changed so much you cant even compare era's anymore.  The only thing that hasnt changed in college football is the fact that we cant determine a real National Champion each year... 

Remember, when Osborne, Switzer, Jimmy Johnson, and Steve Spurrier were ruling the field and recruiting there was no internet.  No Rivals, no message boards...  the nation is full of players that would go to the University of Southern Lake of the Ozarks Community College just to get playing time these days.

passinghog

Quote from: 311Hog on December 06, 2007, 01:19:22 am
ding ding

Hopefully we can, but when Spurriier won, that was the same ACC that was without FSU, Miami, Virginia Tech and Boston College.
Can't deny Spurrier's coaching ability, but that wasn't the same conference.

_Collin1

Quote from: nate8406 on December 06, 2007, 01:20:43 am
To BigC51:

Let me ask you a question. Why do you think it is so important that you are "sold" on the guy? Either you like him or you don't. You obviously don't. And believe me, Grobe couldn't care less if you are "sold" on him or not.  And I speak for most of the people on Hogville when I say that we don't either.

I'm not going to try to "sell" you on the guy, but I will tell you what I think about him.

He was definately not my first choice...or second...or third for that matter. But that was because I didn't know as much about him as I should have.  This guy was put in a definate losing situation, and won.  I don't care what the guys record is.  That isn't everything.  

If you took the worlds best coach ever and set him up as the HC of the Duke Blue Devils football team, what kind of overall record and team accomplishments would you expect from him in seven years??  Well, how about a conference title and a BCS match-up?  I certainly wouldn't expect that from anyone.  

You have to look at the schools limitations.  You have to look at the disadvantages that he had in that "watered down conference".  And above all, you have to remember that before Grobe arrived, Wake Forest was THE "watered down team" in that "watered down conference".  

Looks to me like the man took a paperclip, a match, and a stick of gum, and built a friggin woodshed to whip people in.  And it sounds to me like everyone in the ACC is proud to have that woodshed torn down.

By the way, He is YOUR Arkansas Razorbacks new HEAD COACH!  You should support him fully until he gives you a good reason not to.

GO HOGS!!!      :razorback:

Sell me because its a discussion board. 

Two words for you...  Spell Check. 

SC Hogman

Erockster20

Quote from: NinoHog on December 06, 2007, 01:21:14 am
Must we forget what VT went through at the start of the season. Let me see well if I follow you logic. Alabama beat us lost to ULM and Auburn lost to USF also Bama lost to Miss St, we cant foget we beat Lsu but lost to Tenn.  Ps: I think Clem has 2 really good rbs and a Qb that can throw so that would be a close game and have you seen UVA play D I can tell by you post that you have not. I really hope you get cable or Dish soon because that LF is messing you up LOL!!!!! Tell me this what was the Sec bowl record last year?

National Champs!

_Collin1

Quote from: NinoHog on December 06, 2007, 01:21:14 am
Must we forget what VT went through at the start of the season. Let me see well if I follow you logic. Alabama beat us lost to ULM and Auburn lost to USF also Bama lost to Miss St, we cant foget we beat Lsu but lost to Tenn.  Ps: I think Clem has 2 really good rbs and a Qb that can throw so that would be a close game and have you seen UVA play D I can tell by you post that you have not. I really hope you get cable or Dish soon because that LF is messing you up LOL!!!!! Tell me this what was the Sec bowl record last year?

FYI, I watch ALL college football games.  Ive even sat through UVA Wyoming games.  I place FAT money on games each week.  I know college football.  Compare UVA to the Hogs one more time so I can laugh and wake my kids up.

rocknhog

Few new coaches could be sold on this site because there are many George Steinbrenners on here that believe if a coach hasn't won a national title or cost a $50 million contract......then he's a loser. Wonder how many in South Carolina will start thinking soon that they made a mistake in thinking this. Also, when everybody tosses names out they would rather have........who says they're interested in the first place? Of course, throw more money at them to make them interested. This doesn't always work. You can't go chasing rainbows forever, you have to get started at some point.

_Collin1

How the F does this get sent to the vent.  I wanted someone to tell me why we hired Grobe.

Erockster20

After all that.  Oh well I guess its time to go to bed.

Nate-Hawg

Quote from: Hawianiceman on December 06, 2007, 01:26:30 am
oh because you guys did a really nice job of supporting coach NUTT

I'm sure all of us supported Nutt plenty in this stage of his tenure.

311Hog

Quote from: BigC51 on December 06, 2007, 01:23:19 am
College Football has changed so much you cant even compare era's anymore.  The only thing that hasnt changed in college football is the fact that we cant determine a real National Champion each year... 

Remember, when Osborne, Switzer, Jimmy Johnson, and Steve Spurrier were ruling the field and recruiting there was no internet.  No Rivals, no message boards...  the nation is full of players that would go to the University of Southern Lake of the Ozarks Community College just to get playing time these days.

my point was you can learn alot about a coaches ability to get the most out of his players and his system when you place him in a situation that is "hopeless" and some how he wins.

If you put Nutt at Duke they wouldnt win a game, if you put alot of these so called "great coaches" into situations where they had absolutely no tradition, no support, no big time athletes they would fold because their greatness is based more on their players being so much better then their competition to where the coach could draw plays in the dirt using rocks and bottle caps and it wouldnt matter because the players would win the day on sheer talent.

Nate-Hawg

December 06, 2007, 01:35:05 am #143 Last Edit: December 06, 2007, 01:36:50 am by nate8406
Oh, and BigC51, this was moved because you are venting. You're a troll. You don't want to hear anything anyone says. You had your mind made up before you began this thread. Give it up.

Oh and you really got me good on my last post.  And you're right.  This is a discussion forum.  Not a friggin ESPN article.  I'm not going to use spell check.

_Collin1

Florida beat Ohio State....  isnt that the only one that matters?  LSU beat Notre Dame.  Thats 2-0 in the BCS games... is that good enough for you?

Smokehouse

Quote from: nate8406 on December 06, 2007, 01:35:05 am
Oh, and BigC51, this was moved because you are venting. You're a troll. You don't want to hear anything anyone says. You had your mind made up before you began this thread. Give it up.

Oh and you really got me good on my last post.  And you're right.  This is a discussion forum.  Not a friggin ESPN article.  I'm not going to use spell check.

you call him a troll for having a different opinion than you? How can you call him out for having his "mind made up" when you've obviously made up your mind as well? We can support him while still being questioning about the choice - blind loyalty has gotten noone anywhere.

WRHOG

GWFan

GROBE'S Headcoaching Record:
2005   WFU     4-7   3-5
2004    WFU     4-7     1-7
2003   WFU   5-7   3-5
2002   WFU     7-6   3-5   Seattle (W)
2001   WFU     6-5   3-5
2000    Ohio     7-4    5-3
1999    Ohio     5-6    5-3
1998    Ohio    5-6    5-3