Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Jim Grobe is the Kind of Man I Want at UA - Check Out this Quote

Started by WilsonHog, December 05, 2007, 11:42:05 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

bhuie

Quote from: nwa_razorback_coffee on December 05, 2007, 11:46:03 pm
If you're interested in more about his personal life, try this link:

http://www.prodigalsonmagazine.com/walk/2007/05/men_of_god_spotlight_jim_grobe.php

I think this statement about his 11-3 season is very telling:

"I give all the credit for this season to the players; secondarily to the coaches and primarily to the players. I wasn't a big part of this honestly. I get more pats on the back. I feel a little bit guilty because I got so many pats on the back this year and I've won some awards individually as a coach. This has been my easiest year. We've had our players with us a long time. I've had my coaching staff with me for a long time. Those guys did all the work and I kind of just stayed out of the way. Maybe that's something that I should pat myself on the back for...knowing when to stay out of the way (smiling). Basically, I let my coaches coach and the players play and everybody took their responsibility seriously. I feel like I had a small part in what we did but the lion share of the work and the success that we've achieved was made possible by the efforts of our players on game day and my staff getting those guys ready to go."

Can anyone even remotely imagine Hooten saying something like this?

I think we hit the jackpot with Grobe!  WPS  :razorback:

Cavehog

Quote from: WilsonHog on December 05, 2007, 11:42:05 pm
"Our basic rule in recruiting," he says, "is that when we go into a high school, if we hear anything negative about a kid—anything at all, even something as small as he's a little lazy—from the principal, the coaches, the counselors, the teachers, anyone in the building—we're out; we stop recruiting him.

"We'd much rather have a kid who's an inch shorter, ten pounds lighter, or a half-step slower if he's got a great motor, has a great attitude, loves the game, and is going to do all of the things he needs to do. What we have found is that if you bring in a great kid who's a good player as a freshman, he'll be a great player in his fifth year because he's worked hard to get to that level. If you have too many renegades in your program, you're going to spend more time yelling and screaming and less time teaching and coaching. Our philosophy is, great kid-good player, not, okay kid-great player."

As a former high school football coach and a lifetime Razorback fan, there isn't one thing in those two paragraphs I disagree with.  Not one. I am proud to have this man at my alma mater. 

(Thanks to Oklahawg for finding this quote).

Knocks my socks off! This guy is the real deal.  I've always believed (since being born a Hog Fan in the 50's) that we could win with Arkansas kids who have guts than Texas kids who have a big gut.  Great post!
If you never streaked down Sorority Row, caught the Bud Man twice in one night, or threw a pitcher of beer under the table when ABC came into the Hog Trough . . . you're just a wannabe.

Kitten von Clawsewitz

I don't think this was posted so here's the article where the quote for this thread appeared. It's six parts but short. The specific quote is, of course, in the recruiting section:
http://www.wfu.edu/magazine/2007.09/football/index.html
I have the best hair on this website.

LJHOG

Quote from: nowshavincuznuttgo on December 06, 2007, 12:57:46 am
Really?  Tell that to Boise State..
Boise State don't play in the SEC.  Do you watch football at all?  Nowhere outside of the NFL will you see the type of athletic ability, size, speed, quickness, strenght comparable to that found on SEC teams top to bottom.  The Boise State team that beat OU would be fortunate to have enough players left after 8 games in the SEC to field a team. 
Jim Grobe is about to find out that he ain't in the gentlemanly, scholarly and privledged world of the ACC.  He is now in the Sure Everbody Cheats.  Here we take no prisoners and no quater asked and none given.

Kitten von Clawsewitz

Some more from the article:

"In his first five seasons at Wake Forest, Jim Grobe redshirted 114 of his 123 recruits."

"We're not afraid to play true freshmen; we're afraid to waste true freshmen," says Grobe, who acknowledges losing some recruits because of the policy."

He won't last more than two years here as the recruits start streaming out of the state. IMHO
I have the best hair on this website.

bhuie

Quote from: Kitten von Clawsewitz on December 06, 2007, 01:53:27 am
I don't think this was posted so here's the article where the quote for this thread appeared. It's six parts but short. The specific quote is, of course, in the recruiting section:
http://www.wfu.edu/magazine/2007.09/football/index.html

"What our coaches have done the very best job at here is adapting our system to our personnel. Each year we go through spring practice and then come back in August and add Xs and Os to try to emphasize the strengths of our players rather than just take a certain system of offense and defense and say, 'Okay, by God, you're going to fit into this system, no matter what.'...

"In any program, the head coach generally gets too much of the credit and too much of the blame," Grobe adds. "I truly believe that's what sets the very best programs apart from the rest—good staffs; good assistant coaches."

The more I learn about Grobe, the better I like him...

STLRazorback

I'm with you all the way Wilson! Some people will never be happy no matter what. I think Grobe is gonna be great for the program.

Cavehog

Quote from: bhuie on December 06, 2007, 01:58:45 am
"What our coaches have done the very best job at here is adapting our system to our personnel. Each year we go through spring practice and then come back in August and add Xs and Os to try to emphasize the strengths of our players rather than just take a certain system of offense and defense and say, 'Okay, by God, you're going to fit into this system, no matter what.'...

"In any program, the head coach generally gets too much of the credit and too much of the blame," Grobe adds. "I truly believe that's what sets the very best programs apart from the rest—good staffs; good assistant coaches."

In that case he should immediately reject all of our loser assistants...
If you never streaked down Sorority Row, caught the Bud Man twice in one night, or threw a pitcher of beer under the table when ABC came into the Hog Trough . . . you're just a wannabe.

bhuie

Quote from: Cavehog on December 06, 2007, 02:01:04 am

In that case he should immediately reject all of our loser assistants...

Aren't most of them already working for Ole Miss???

The Pulse

Quote from: hogblade on December 05, 2007, 11:45:52 pm
I guess that is good in thought and theory, but does McFadden get recruited if he sticks to this philosophy. I actually remember a few disparaging things coming out of High School that McFadden may not want it, hangs with a bad crowd? It was BS, but the point is, you don't know until you see for yourself. Anything negative? anything at all?? I don't know if I like that.

That's kind of my incentive as well..i mean some people are honest critics and will tell you what they think is wrong with the number one recruit in the nation who is going to be playing in the NFL one day. It all depends on who you ask. Some people might not tell you athing wrong with someone while someone who's been around..someone who's examined alot of top recruits and they may say, well he does have accuracy issues. It depends on who you ask.

The Pulse

The more I learn about Grobe, the better I like him...

Now that's what i call a good quote.

REALTOR Hog

Wow I can't wait to see this guy in the spring game!!! GOSH April can't come soon enough!!
- GO HOGS -

Chief Mac

Quote from: The_Iceman on December 06, 2007, 12:02:58 am
wow, what a coach.

those are the players that Arkansas has traditionally had.
Bua, Sammy O., Talley, etc.

The type of player he was describing are Arkansas Razorbacks.

don't mistake hard nose players that overcome physical limitations with GREAT kids.  Butu had legal problems and orchestrated the "code red" on Mustain.  Talley had legal problems as well.
"We spend two hundred and fifty billion dollars a year on defense and here we are....the fate of the planet in the hands of a bunch of retards I wouldn't trust with a potato gun!

razorbacker80

"Our basic rule in recruiting," he says, "is that when we go into a high school, if we hear anything negative about a kid—anything at all, even something as small as he's a little lazy—from the principal, the coaches, the counselors, the teachers, anyone in the building—we're out; we stop recruiting him.

"We'd much rather have a kid who's an inch shorter, ten pounds lighter, or a half-step slower if he's got a great motor, has a great attitude, loves the game, and is going to do all of the things he needs to do. What we have found is that if you bring in a great kid who's a good player as a freshman, he'll be a great player in his fifth year because he's worked hard to get to that level. If you have too many renegades in your program, you're going to spend more time yelling and screaming and less time teaching and coaching. Our philosophy is, great kid-good player, not, okay kid-great player."

As a former high school football coach and a lifetime Razorback fan, there isn't one thing in those two paragraphs I disagree with.  Not one. I am proud to have this man at my alma mater. 

Agreed completely.  One thing... it is interesting that Grobe is leaving his alma mater (WF) to come to ours. 

SpiritHog

Quote from: STLRazorback on December 06, 2007, 01:59:10 am
I'm with you all the way Wilson! Some people will never be happy no matter what. I think Grobe is gonna be great for the program.

Grobe is "Special"!   Welcome to integrity
Non Illegitimus Carborundum

jrblack05

For everybody saying he won't make it in the SEC...I'm sure he realizes how tough it is, and that he's going to have to get tougher.  He wouldn't come here if he isn't prepared for the job, and would just stay at pansy ass Wake.  So give him a break and give him a chance.

qhhog

If you want something to look forward to check out how WF fans feel about their coach;

http://mbd.scout.com/mb.aspx?s=192#s=192&f=1118&t=1599014

I want to feel like this about my HC
If you always think what you've always thought, you'll always say what you've always said.  If you always say what you always said you'll always do what you've always done.  If you always do what you've always done, you'll always get what you've always got. Time for a change.  Change=BP WPS GHG

jrblack05

1836hog

Wow, this guy sounds like he's pretty judgmental.  Comments like that make me puke.  THis guy sounds like he might be a bug [CENSORED]. 

jrblack05

Quote from: 1836hog on December 06, 2007, 02:32:26 am
Wow, this guy sounds like he's pretty judgmental.  Comments like that make me puke.  THis guy sounds like he might be a bug *******. 

Sounds to me like he wants players that WANT to be there.  Players that will go above and beyond what's expected of them. Players with pride.

GWFan

GROBE'S Headcoaching Record:
2005   WFU     4-7   3-5
2004    WFU     4-7     1-7
2003   WFU   5-7   3-5
2002   WFU     7-6   3-5   Seattle (W)
2001   WFU     6-5   3-5
2000    Ohio     7-4    5-3
1999    Ohio     5-6    5-3
1998    Ohio    5-6    5-3
1997    Ohio    8-3    6-2
1996    Ohio    6-6    5-3
1995    Ohio    2-8-1    1-6-1
This year he coach 'em to 8-4.
Last year was his career best with 11-3

idiotghos

Quote from: GWFan on December 06, 2007, 03:25:00 am
GROBE'S Headcoaching Record:
This year he coach 'em to 8-4.
Last year was his career best with 11-3

And even better here!

VenturaHog

WILL CLINTON

Quote from: jrblack05 on December 06, 2007, 02:35:07 am
Sounds to me like he wants players that WANT to be there.  Players that will go above and beyond what's expected of them. Players with pride.

So basically, we only want players who "want to be Razorbacks"??

Where have I heard that before??  Oh yeah, Houston Nutt and he was crucified for it.  Now that is what we are hoping for??  This is great. 

This guy better learn and learn quick.  This isn't the 50's, he aint Bear Bryant.  He is a BARELY proven coach in one of the weakest conferences in the land.  He better be ready to adapt to the year 2007 and the SEC and be willing to take a chance on some kids. 

I, and everyone else on this board, wouldn't care if OJ, Lawrence Philips, Ryan Leaf, and Maurice Clarett were on the team if they were going undefeated season after season.  Anyone who says different, is lying. 
There is no sacred ground for the conquered.

idiotghos

Quote from: WILL CLINTON on December 06, 2007, 03:46:25 am
I, and everyone else on this board, wouldn't care if OJ, Lawrence Philips, Ryan Leaf, and Maurice Clarett were on the team if they were going undefeated season after season.  Anyone who says different, is lying. 

I would rather we didn't field a football team than endorse behavior like that.

1836hog

Quote from: idiotghos on December 06, 2007, 03:48:30 am
I would rather we didn't field a football team than endorse behavior like that.

Why the hell not? They were all winners.  Isn't that what you want?  If your looking for good upstanding citizens, go to church. 

Blogger

Quote from: WilsonHog on December 05, 2007, 11:50:43 pm
I'll take 8 or 9 wins with kids like he described wearing "Arkansas" across their chests than 11 wins with thugs and criminals every season from now until doomsday.

No you won't,...REALLY!  You taking 8/9 wins a season means he will not beat the elites, and never play in a  SEC game or NC game for that matter. That was one reason so many bashed Nutt.
I doubt very much that you will be happy with 8 wins a season.

Grobe

Concur

And he builds a very good staff

I would like Herring and Gus personally

They would be like peanutbutter and and bananas- an odd but successful combination
A new Coach, a new Era, and a new Hogville name!

Hallelujah Hogs, WPS!!

Bosston

I think (at least I hope) what he is saying is that he is not afraid to have guys on his team that dont have the super measurables (the same ones that blind NFL GM's into bad draft choices) and have guys that are 'role player' (to use a Bball expression) type guys.

Of course, some of you will take it as a team full of Rudy's. I think what you will get is a lot of Zach Thomas type of players who become very popular with the fans.

Hey, maybe he'll start to redshirt a lot of players and actually build depth. And who knows? Maybe he'll actually devlop a QB and play another one behind him so when the first QB graduates (or gets hurt), the next guy can step in with some actual game experience. What a concept!

MuskogeeHogFan

That's pretty refreshing.
Go Hogs Go!

woghild

That all sounds great, of course, and I'm all for error-free Christian athletes.

But I wonder if Dmac would have qualified under that criteria?  With that
little dust-up I seem to remember one summer night in a nightclub parking
lot in Little Rock?

This is not the 1950s Beaver Cleaver era anymore, and I fear a step slow,
10 pounds lighter and an inch shorter will get you laughed at in the SEC.

MuskogeeHogFan

Quote from: Grobe on December 06, 2007, 06:37:58 am
Concur

And he builds a very good staff

I would like Herring and Gus personally

They would be like peanutbutter and and bananas- an odd but successful combination

Gus would be a better hire than they guy he has as an OC now, though that guy came with him from Ohio to Wake so he may choose to bring him with him. As for Reggie......no firggin way. Get Reggie out of here ASAP. He is part of the problem, NOT the solution.
Go Hogs Go!

Bosston

Quote from: woghild on December 06, 2007, 06:57:14 am
That all sounds great, of course, and I'm all for error-free Christian athletes.

But I wonder if Dmac would have qualified under that criteria?  With that
little dust-up I seem to remember one summer night in a nightclub parking
lot in Little Rock?

McFadden was already on the team when that happened. I seriously doubt the guy runs a zero tolerance program. He's just saying he wants guys that really want to play, and appreciate playing football. think about how many guys have come and gone from the program. it really takes its toll on depth. if you bring in the right guys, they stay longer.

this is what I like. Hooten brought in and played anybody that would make him look good and save his job. thats why he was always fighting depth issues and could never develop a QB.

Grobe

Quote from: WILL CLINTON on December 06, 2007, 03:46:25 am

Thank you for providing definitive and undeniable proof of your ethics and intelligence.

Kudos to you for your admission!

Hallelujah Hogs, WPS!!

Cartoon Man

Grobe

Quote from: woghild on December 06, 2007, 06:57:14 am
That all sounds great.

Think about Burlsworth, Bua, Olajabutu and et'al
Awesome but underrecruited

Hallelujah Hogs, WPS!!

woghild

Quote from: Feralhog on December 06, 2007, 12:06:09 am
You friken whiners need to F-IN chill.  Good God, nobody knows who he would pass on and who he would go after.  It's a philosophy that reflects old school ethics and values.  Frikers sound like a bunch of old lady with sore teets, looking for something to **** about.

Stop throwing ephitets.  There are fans who have some well-founded doubts
and skepticism about this hire.  "Old school ethics and values" can lead to tire
tracks on your back in the SEC.

HogISH™

Quote from: woghild on December 06, 2007, 07:23:39 am
Stop throwing ephitets.  There are fans who have some well-founded doubts
and skepticism about this hire.  "Old school ethics and values" can lead to tire
tracks on your back in the SEC.

what is an ephitets? like when your gums bleed?

HogISH
|^^^^^^^^^^^^^^| ||
|...BEER   TRUCK..........| ||'|";, ___.
|_..._..._______===|=||_|__|..., ] -|
"(@)'(@)"""''"**|(@)(@)*****''(@)

Hogville Trash Can Moderator - my theme song:

Isn't it rich, isn't it queer
Losing my timing this late in my career  And where are the clowns  Quick send in the clowns  Don't bother they're here.