Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Jim Grobe is the Kind of Man I Want at UA - Check Out this Quote

Started by WilsonHog, December 05, 2007, 11:42:05 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

WilsonHog

"Our basic rule in recruiting," he says, "is that when we go into a high school, if we hear anything negative about a kid—anything at all, even something as small as he's a little lazy—from the principal, the coaches, the counselors, the teachers, anyone in the building—we're out; we stop recruiting him.

"We'd much rather have a kid who's an inch shorter, ten pounds lighter, or a half-step slower if he's got a great motor, has a great attitude, loves the game, and is going to do all of the things he needs to do. What we have found is that if you bring in a great kid who's a good player as a freshman, he'll be a great player in his fifth year because he's worked hard to get to that level. If you have too many renegades in your program, you're going to spend more time yelling and screaming and less time teaching and coaching. Our philosophy is, great kid-good player, not, okay kid-great player."

As a former high school football coach and a lifetime Razorback fan, there isn't one thing in those two paragraphs I disagree with.  Not one. I am proud to have this man at my alma mater. 

(Thanks to Oklahawg for finding this quote).

RhodeHog

Razor42

42 is the answer

Feralhog

Quote from: WilsonHog on December 05, 2007, 11:42:05 pm
"Our basic rule in recruiting," he says, "is that when we go into a high school, if we hear anything negative about a kid—anything at all, even something as small as he's a little lazy—from the principal, the coaches, the counselors, the teachers, anyone in the building—we're out; we stop recruiting him.

"We'd much rather have a kid who's an inch shorter, ten pounds lighter, or a half-step slower if he's got a great motor, has a great attitude, loves the game, and is going to do all of the things he needs to do. What we have found is that if you bring in a great kid who's a good player as a freshman, he'll be a great player in his fifth year because he's worked hard to get to that level. If you have too many renegades in your program, you're going to spend more time yelling and screaming and less time teaching and coaching. Our philosophy is, great kid-good player, not, okay kid-great player."

As a former high school football coach and a lifetime Razorback fan, there isn't one thing in those two paragraphs I disagree with.  Not one. I am proud to have this man at my alma mater. 

Texas is full of em
Seer, Sage, Soothsayer and former Computer repairman for Hunter Biden......Feralhog the Magnificent

Oklahawg

The entire article (from wfu.edu magazine) is informative. Talks about the value of building a staff and keeping them together. Good read.

Quality man.
I am a Hog fan. I was long before my name was etched, twice, on the sidewalks on the Hill. I will be long after Sam Pittman and Eric Mussleman are coaches, and Hunter Yuracheck is AD. I am a Hog fan when we win, when we lose and when we don't play. I love hearing the UA band play the National Anthem on game day, but I sing along to the Alma Mater. I am a Hog fan.<br /><br />A liberal education is at the heart of a civil society, and at the heart of a liberal education is the act of teaching. - Bart Giamatti <br /><br />"It is a puzzling thing. The truth knocks on the door and you say, 'Go away, I'm looking for the truth,' and so it goes away. Puzzling." ― Robert M. Pirsig<br /><br />Love is the most important thing in the world, but baseball is pretty good, too.  – Yogi Berra

hogblade

I guess that is good in thought and theory, but does McFadden get recruited if he sticks to this philosophy. I actually remember a few disparaging things coming out of High School that McFadden may not want it, hangs with a bad crowd? It was BS, but the point is, you don't know until you see for yourself. Anything negative? anything at all?? I don't know if I like that.

ArkyinMD

Saw his Wake Squad play Navy this year, he is a class act and his team reflected that as well.

Trey1981

I think we're finally bringing a little class back to the University of Arkansas football program...which has been sorely lacking for the past decade.  Go Hogs!! :razorback:

N HOG

Quote from: hogblade on December 05, 2007, 11:45:52 pm
I guess that is good in thought and theory, but does McFadden get recruited if he sticks to this philosophy. I actually remember a few disparaging things coming out of High School that McFadden may not want it, hangs with a bad crowd? It was BS, but the point is, you don't know until you see for yourself. Anything negative? anything at all?? I don't know if I like that.

Let me assure you -- Grobe would have recruited Dmac.

WilsonHog

Recall Carlos Ousley, who came to us from Wake Forest and then basically quit on a route during a game because he hurt his finger?

Jim Grobe showed him the door quickly.

rude1

That mind set will get you killed in the SEC as he will soon find out. That sounds good, but doesn't play out real well in reality. If a kid is lazy, it's a coaches job to motivate and get the most out of him. If this guy thinks he can just only take kids who are ready mentally right out high school, he will find out differently when he is getting killed on saturday by those same kids he passed on.

JLaws

Pfft, and all he has is an historic 11-win season and an ACC championship to show for it. That recruiting philosophy went REAL far... gimme a break.  :P
"Fan is short for FANATIC! You people ARE INSANE!" - Colin Cowherd

"When you have the opportunity to be with the sexiest girl or the smartest football coach, you take it and worry about what happens if they leave when they leave." -writer's quote when UA hired Petrino

hogblade

Quote from: WilsonHog on December 05, 2007, 11:47:41 pm
Recall Carlos Ousley, who came to us from Wake Forest and then basically quit on a route during a game because he hurt his finger?

Grobe wanted him to cut his hair, and he wouldn't.
so I'm guessing no long hair, facial hair kind of strict locker room kind of atmosphere. Hmm..

WilsonHog

Quote from: JLaws on December 05, 2007, 11:48:19 pm
Pfft, and all he has is an historic 11-win season and an ACC championship to show for it. That recruiting philosophy went REAL far... gimme a break.  :P

I'll take 8 or 9 wins with kids like he described wearing "Arkansas" across their chests than 11 wins with thugs and criminals every season from now until doomsday.

Erockster20

Does a name like Chase Daniel ring a bell when you hear that?  I love it. 

Cajun Hog

I agree....I love that quote.  If you play 4th and 5th year kids, you will win a lot of games.

_Collin1

So can I play devils advocate Wilson?  This is SEC football.  This isnt an academic institution.  This isnt Vandy.  This isnt the ACC.  I think Colin Cowherd said it best when he said to take a look at the defensive lines for the top programs in America.  These usually arent the most upstanding young men you could group.  He jokingly said that the more the felonies the better the defense is.  Its a joke, but get the point?

A couple of inches off a kid, or a couple of tenths of a second off your 40 time might get you by when you coach at a University surrounded by 3 others...  but the UofA is the only show in town for MILES. 
Arkansas Alumni: Undergrad 2000, Graduate 2002
Voter: Heisman | Ray Guy | Biletnikoff
Action Network: https://www.actionnetwork.com/article/author/collin-wilson
The Athletic: https://theathletic.com/author/collin-wilson/

hogblade

"Two seasons ago, we were 4-7; I thought we were a pretty good football team, just playing a really tough schedule. This year, we were 11-3 and I felt we were better than we were the year before but not a whole lot better. Yet, we're 11-3 and ACC Champions where the year before (we were) 4-7 and I thought we were a pretty good football team that year. So, if you say what's a real key to winning, being opportunistic late in games is either what keeps you afloat or sinks you."

interesting quote.

Oklahawg

Quote from: hogblade on December 05, 2007, 11:49:33 pm
Grobe wanted him to cut his hair, and he wouldn't.
so I'm guessing no long hair, facial hair kind of strict locker room kind of atmosphere. Hmm..

Hey, most players can come to terms with rules and policies. What they struggle with are two sets of rules and policies. Or three. Something UA fans know quite a bit about.
I am a Hog fan. I was long before my name was etched, twice, on the sidewalks on the Hill. I will be long after Sam Pittman and Eric Mussleman are coaches, and Hunter Yuracheck is AD. I am a Hog fan when we win, when we lose and when we don't play. I love hearing the UA band play the National Anthem on game day, but I sing along to the Alma Mater. I am a Hog fan.<br /><br />A liberal education is at the heart of a civil society, and at the heart of a liberal education is the act of teaching. - Bart Giamatti <br /><br />"It is a puzzling thing. The truth knocks on the door and you say, 'Go away, I'm looking for the truth,' and so it goes away. Puzzling." ― Robert M. Pirsig<br /><br />Love is the most important thing in the world, but baseball is pretty good, too.  – Yogi Berra

HognotinMemphis

I'll never forget that. What a loser. Wonder what Ousley is doing now.
I don't want you to agree with me because you're weak. I want you to agree with me because you know I'm right.

hogblade

Quote from: Oklahawg on December 05, 2007, 11:52:20 pm
Hey, most players can come to terms with rules and policies. What they struggle with are two sets of rules and policies. Or three. Something UA fans know quite a bit about.

I don't know if you've seen a lot of Razorbacks off the field, but several have the long hair and facial hair. How will that effect the clubhouse intially if he holds onto those kinds of rules.

WilsonHog

Quote from: hogblade on December 05, 2007, 11:54:20 pm
I don't know if you've seen a lot of Razorbacks off the field, but several have the long hair and facial hair. How will that effect the clubhouse intially if he holds onto those kinds of rules.

If they want to be Razorbacks badly enough they'll adjust.

_Collin1

Quote from: WilsonHog on December 05, 2007, 11:50:43 pm
I'll take 8 or 9 wins with kids like he described wearing "Arkansas" across their chests than 11 wins with thugs and criminals every season from now until doomsday.

I lived next to Chuck Wagon and he had his dorm room searched every day by campus and university police.  We could have lived without him at the time cause we had that Stoerner-Lucas thing going on those days.  But what about Cedric and his traffic stop?  What about DMAC and his a$$ kicking he was dishing out?  Would Lawerence Richardson and Ken Hamlin been kicked off immediately too?  Lets not even get started on Jermaine Brooks and Marcus Harrison.
Arkansas Alumni: Undergrad 2000, Graduate 2002
Voter: Heisman | Ray Guy | Biletnikoff
Action Network: https://www.actionnetwork.com/article/author/collin-wilson
The Athletic: https://theathletic.com/author/collin-wilson/

Cave City Joe

Class and integrity is what the UA needs.  We got Pel, then Long, now Coach G.  If we can get rid of White we will have one outstanding university we can be pround of...
"When you're part of a team, you stand up for your teammates. Your loyalty is to them. You protect them through good and bad, because they'd do the same for you."  <br />Yogi Berra

Rooka

Another quote I love of his...

"and I can promise you, our players will play like there hair is on fire"

Honey

that kid was a quitter and he obviously didn't want "it" bad enough. 

hogblade

Quote from: MarkinMemphis on December 05, 2007, 11:53:02 pm
I'll never forget that. What a loser. Wonder what Ousley is doing now.

In the spring he was playing Arena 2 league ball for Lubbock, but got hurt and then re-assigned. Turns out he is now on the Twisters after playing the Jaguars Fall camp this past summer.

Oklahawg

Whaddaya bet this staff can eval talent with the best of 'em. They have to.

tee1up2par

Quote from: WilsonHog on December 05, 2007, 11:50:43 pm

Hard to imagine Arkansas Football without Matt Jones, DMac and others.

It could be hard to win in SEC without being a little flexible.

This is not a private institution.  Make no mistake about it, he is paid to win games.  Let's check his standards in a couple of years after recruiting against SEC coaches.

Remember, he coached at a place that did not expect to win.  There is a difference.  He did a nice job developing 2 STAR recruits at Wake but that won't get it done here.

If a woman has to choose between catching a fly ball and saving an infant's life, she will choose to save the infant's life without even considering if there are men on base.  ~Dave Barry

jgphillips3

Quote from: hogblade on December 05, 2007, 11:51:46 pm
"Two seasons ago, we were 4-7; I thought we were a pretty good football team, just playing a really tough schedule. This year, we were 11-3 and I felt we were better than we were the year before but not a whole lot better. Yet, we're 11-3 and ACC Champions where the year before (we were) 4-7 and I thought we were a pretty good football team that year. So, if you say what's a real key to winning, being opportunistic late in games is either what keeps you afloat or sinks you."

interesting quote.

Is that HDN or Grobe?

The_Iceman

wow, what a coach.

those are the players that Arkansas has traditionally had.
Bua, Sammy O., Talley, etc.

The type of player he was describing are Arkansas Razorbacks.

tee1up2par

Quote from: Triple_H on December 05, 2007, 11:51:33 pm
I agree....I love that quote.  If you play 4th and 5th year kids, you will win a lot of games.

Even JoPa had to break this rule.  Every coach wants this but highly touted recruits will not come to sit on bench.  If they won't do it at Penn State they sure won't at Arkansas.
If a woman has to choose between catching a fly ball and saving an infant's life, she will choose to save the infant's life without even considering if there are men on base.  ~Dave Barry

Reaganite

In the Ivan Masiel column he mentioned he liked to play defense and stick around for the 4th quarter to have a chance.  Boy did that sound familiar.  Then I saw his record for '04 and '05 was identical to Nutts.

I wanna believe.  Someone help me.

hogblade

Quote from: The_Iceman on December 06, 2007, 12:02:58 am
wow, what a coach.

those are the players that Arkansas has traditionally had.
Bua, Sammy O., Talley, etc.

The type of player he was describing are Arkansas Razorbacks.

not so fast on Sammy O..... McDonalds drive-thru

jgphillips3

Guys, if he isn't winning games and lets the talent continue to bleed out of Arkansas, we will be discussing a new coach in less than two years.  I don't really think he means he expects kids to be angels.  I think what he means is that he is not going to take bad kids into the program; I don't think he means that he won't take good kids that have made a mistake here or there and understand their mistake.

hogblade

Quote from: jgphillips3 on December 06, 2007, 12:04:19 am
Guys, if he isn't winning games and lets the talent continue to bleed out of Arkansas, we will be discussing a new coach in less than two years.  I don't really think he means he expects kids to be angels.  I think what he means is that he is not going to take bad kids into the program; I don't think he means that he won't take good kids that have made a mistake here or there and understand their mistake.

"if we hear anything negative about a kid—anything at all, even something as small as he's a little lazy"

jgphillips3

I think Grobe is an intelligent man.  I think he will adapt to the circumstance and his new surroundings, if he doesn't, he won't be here long.

Feralhog

You friken whiners need to F-IN chill.  Good God, nobody knows who he would pass on and who he would go after.  It's a philosophy that reflects old school ethics and values.  Frikers sound like a bunch of old lady with sore teets, looking for something to **** about.
Seer, Sage, Soothsayer and former Computer repairman for Hunter Biden......Feralhog the Magnificent

Slackavelli

TMc

You're exactly right Ice Man - the Razorbacks have never been known as a talent laden team - we fight and play harder because we have to.  He's going to fit right in here. 

yraciv

I agree with this mostly, but he'll have to change his philosophy a little.  He had to recruit guys that could get in Wake first, that starts weeding out attitude problems.  I'm all for players with good character, but talent is important too.  All schools in SEC, even Vandy, have character issues, but it's a good theory.  If we go by these standards, we wouldn't have had Matt Jones, who was lazy, but could you imagine us without him.  Give or take on these rules a little, and we'll be fine.  At least I could look forward to not seeing which player is Washington County Jail every week.

razorbass

Has he been confirmed yet (I know i shouldn't even be asking this because of Scoop),but was just wondering when do they expect a press conference?

hogblade

However, according to Ousley, new Demon Deacons coach Jim Grobe told Ousley and four other players to cut their hair if they wanted to play on the team.

Ousley/Grobe Gate
Excerpt-
Ousley refused and withdrew, and this week chose Arkansas.

"I talked to [Arkansas] coach [Houston] Nutt, and he said the hair thing wasn't a problem as long as I could play," Ousley said. "I'm excited to be getting a new start."

Ousley said a couple of former Wake Forest teammates complied with Grobe's requirement to stay in Winston-Salem, but he viewed the rule as an infringement on his right to be an individual.

"I just didn't see what it had to do with football," Ousley said.

Ousley was one of five area players to join Wake Forest's 2000 signing class

oldtimerhog

I want someone that says, "I will hang 50 on your defense, so you better score a lot of points if you want to beat one of my teams.  I am going to pass the ball all over the field and you can't stop me".  
Welcome Petrino Brothers - We have waited a long time for you!