Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

40/29 POLL... JIM GROBE.... YOUR THOUGHTS??

Started by Mark Lericos, December 05, 2007, 09:58:22 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

jfb4ever

Just don't suggest Frank was involved in the Hire! You will be TRASH!

BloodHOG

GREAT HIRE!!!  Some people might say that this would matter, but look at what they have done since.

As A Head Coach Year School Record Conf. Bowl
2005 WFU 4-7 3-5
2004 WFU 4-7 1-7
2003 WFU 5-7 3-5
2002 WFU 7-6 3-5 Seattle (W)
2001 WFU 6-5 3-5
2000 Ohio 7-4 5-3
1999 Ohio 5-6 5-3
1998 Ohio 5-6 5-3
1997 Ohio 8-3 6-2
1996 Ohio 6-6 5-3
1995 Ohio 2-8-1 1-6-1
:razorback:Totals 59-65-1 40-47-1

HawgAdvocate

I think we hired a mediocre coach who has 3 good years in 10 seasons of being a head coach.

Oh, and he's over 50 years old..so he's not going to get any better.
"The supreme benevolent force of Hogville, who is impervious to pervasive form of confirmation bias, which is inherent to ALL human beings" - intelligence 4/4/16
I used to argue with HA about how Pel ran the basketball team.  I've since learned to like and respect him.  In fact, I'd go as far to say that HA is well connected or extremely perceptive. - Porkatarian, 11/7/12

NMHog

Quote from: ozarkchief on December 05, 2007, 10:59:30 pm
We lose Nutt and gain a solid coach, and people are complaining?

How is this not a lateral hire, or worse, when two days ago Tommy Bowden was a lateral hire.

Don't get me wrong.  I wanted Nutt to go, but he was a "solid" coach when it comes to football.  Nutt's problem was his lack of integrity and his narcissistic behavior.  I don't think Grobe will do much better than Nutt.  Hopefully, he has a 3-4 year contract and can move to the side once Gus gets that much needed "experience" to satisfy all of those cautious people.  Maybe, we just lost our chance at the "diamond in the ruff" by burning Gus twice.

I am just really confused, and I don't understand the logic.
Debt is dumb, cash is king, and the paid-off home mortgage has taken the place of the BMW as the status symbol of choice. - Dave Ramsey

oppybrit

I hope it is a good hire!
I will give him a chance but it is hard to get all giddy about Jim Grobe of
Wake Forest 55yrs old, ACC conf., 13yrs as coach ,78/72 record .517 lifetime average/ .536 at wake forest.
Glenn

NMHog

Quote from: Cave City Joe on December 05, 2007, 11:27:23 pm
He won the ACC and went to a BCS bowl last year.  What do you mean?

I was under the understanding this week that most folks here agreed that the ACC is not as strong as the SEC.  That is what was being said when Tommy Bowden was "on the clock."
Debt is dumb, cash is king, and the paid-off home mortgage has taken the place of the BMW as the status symbol of choice. - Dave Ramsey

3kgthog

I want to think diamond in the rough, but then I realize we are Arkansas and aren't that lucky. Please God! Just once let us get lucky.

ckhawgu

I really can't say that I'm all that excited about this hire either. I'll get behind the band wagon and support the guy though. Everybody deserves a chance or two. He just better come in kicking some butt, taking down some names, and saying all the right things!

jfb4ever

Grobe is a good man and a solid coach, I wish him all the Luck! It is a terrible thing that the MOD"S are not allowing people to disagree!

joeyself

December 06, 2007, 12:09:48 am #109 Last Edit: December 06, 2007, 12:30:44 am by joeyself
Quote from: destinflhog on December 05, 2007, 10:30:54 pm
Looking at those poll results saddened me.  We hire a nationally respected coach and over 40% of the responses were negative.

We should be happy and excited but yet a large majority are unhappy.

If you aren't happy with this hire, then you may be who they thought you were.

Pitiful.

Who are "they" and why should I care what "they" think?

I'm a bit underwhelmed at the moment, but keeping an open mind.  The Vandy comparison seems to be fair.  As for the Ohio job, did he have to go be "rent-a-wins" for teams to keep the program afloat?  Not only can that screw up your W/L percentage, but can beat up your team for the conference schedule (of course, if everyone in the conference is doing it, it should balance out).

Grobe will get the chance to win me over, and he doesn't have to do it next year.  If he can refrain from (1) saying stupid things (2) demonstrating rampant ego that puts himself above the program and (3) throwing players and coaches under the bus when things don't go great, then we've improved our lot in life here.

JcS
"Real failure always starts with someone doing something stupid."  Anna Conroy in SLINGS AND ARROWS

jburcka

This is my first ever post but I have been keeping up and reading for a while.  This guy is going to be great! Bowden would have been a really bad hire but we did our due diligence with Grobe. I think people need to be a little more informed before they form opinions.

Everyone should read this to see what ESPN has to say about how great he is:
http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/columns/story?columnist=maisel_ivan&id=2650035
UofA WCOB Grad - 09, UofA School of Law Grad - 12

pipehog

Let's see what he does for a staff. He may hire a stud for OC. He may feel like with better talent  than he has a WF, they can throw the ball around abit. You know the old saying "Defense wins championships". Give him time to settle in and make a few decisions. If there BAD, we'll get after him.
The guy was'nt in my top 10, but he has won afew games at WF, and that to me deserves a fair shot, besides WF will probaly offer a raise and extension anyway!

CorningHog

I don't know much about the guy personally, but I can tell you growing up a college football fan since the late 70's, Wake Forest was never, ever a team that would win a Championship in the ACC.

For Grobe to have won just one in 7 years says a lot.

I like that he is a defensive coach.  I hope that he hires great assistants and if he can improve his staff that he will.  I hope that Arkansas' PTB allow him to open the checkbook and get top assistants if he thinks he needs them.

I also hope that people will give him a chance.

I gave Nutt a chance and we saw what little success and fame did to him.  I hope Grobe is secure enough in his blessings that he doesn't need his ego stroked like Houston did.

Football is a game and a sport, and to get paid like these men do, they should have some character, some integrity and teach the young men they are fortunate enough to have the privilege of coaching how to be leaders and champions.  Winning is fun, but seeing a team taught how to live your life is the right goal.

Winning will happen when you do that.
"Seek ye first the Kingdom of Heaven"

pipehog

according to rivals, ARK is ranked #21 in recruiting, WF is 52nd , there is alot of competition in NC for WF to recruit agaist, but to me this does'nt seem to bad. Who wants to play at WF, it's not known for being a football factory.

pipehog

I can't wait till HDN comes back to town,It'll be fun to see what happens.  I hope!!!!!

BrownedHog

Quote from: Jimmy on December 05, 2007, 10:22:08 pm
Wake Forest is a small (6,700) expensive ($34,000/yr tuition) private basketball school.  What he did there is enough for me to jump on the bandwagon. 

This is exactly where I am at.  Since I heard him first mentioned on hear, I have done nothing but read about him.  Everything I have read from ESPN, CBS Sports, Sporting News, and the boards at Wake tells me that this guy does a great job and is a real diamond in the ruff.  I could be wrong... I could be right.  Either way I am happy with the coaching change and feel enthusiam once again for the program's future.  That's more than I had before.

94 Hawg

hopefully we'll get a presser tomorrow to confirm this. I'm excited and relieved, especially after hearing Skip Holtz's name mentioned...

GHG!  :razorback:  Welcome Coach Grobe ;D  :razorback:
Be thankful we're not getting all the government we're paying for.
~ Will Rogers

hogman1974

tiger72

Quote from: CorningHog on December 06, 2007, 12:32:18 am
I don't know much about the guy personally, but I can tell you growing up a college football fan since the late 70's, Wake Forest was never, ever a team that would win a Championship in the ACC.

For Grobe to have won just one in 7 years says a lot.

I like that he is a defensive coach.  I hope that he hires great assistants and if he can improve his staff that he will.  I hope that Arkansas' PTB allow him to open the checkbook and get top assistants if he thinks he needs them.

I also hope that people will give him a chance.

I gave Nutt a chance and we saw what little success and fame did to him.  I hope Grobe is secure enough in his blessings that he doesn't need his ego stroked like Houston did.

Football is a game and a sport, and to get paid like these men do, they should have some character, some integrity and teach the young men they are fortunate enough to have the privilege of coaching how to be leaders and champions.  Winning is fun, but seeing a team taught how to live your life is the right goal.

Winning will happen when you do that.

I completely agree.  I think we have a great guy coming!   

shanndog

I do, too!  Welcome to Hog Nation, Coach Grobe!

Red Tusk

From everything I've read and watched this looks like a solid hire. I'll hold my enthusiasm til post Grobe Hog-call and the 24-48 hrs thereafter.
If you can accept losing, you can't win.-Vince Lombardi

'Why don't they make the whole plane out of that black box stuff.'-Steven Wright