Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Wednesday's Heisman discussion thread (seriously, how difficult is it to understand this concept? If you're posting about the Heisman Trophy, do it HERE!!!)

Started by Honey, December 04, 2007, 10:41:21 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Honey

If this has already been posted, act like it hasn't, ok?

This was posted today on ESPN's website. It seems to me DMac is the favorite for Heisman but we have to wait till Dec. 8 to find out

http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/wire?section=ncf&id=3140695

Phenomenal One

Man, if it was up to ESPN they would have given Tebow the Heisman trophy weeks ago.  That whole station is nothing but a Tebow hype-machine lately.  They just mention Darren in passing every time they talk about Tebow.  Plus they got Jesse Palmer, an ex-gator, talking up Tebow every chance he gets. 

I just don't see Darren oversoming this with such a Juggernaut like ESPN behind Tebow.  It is going to be a travesty of justice

870hogg

Why in the heck is nobody mentioning that he had on a rib-jacket in that auburn game?  you'd think the U of A would drive that home.

usnavyhogfan

good read. hopefully the voters will see what dmac has accomplished over two seasons rather than one compared with tebow. its much rarer for a running back to put up those numbers while sharing the ball with several other backs, and also throwing the ball, returning kicks, blocking. hell the only thing he didnt do was kick a field goal. ive said before if he doesnt win it, then the PTB in the NCAA need to create a new trophy that actually goes to the best player in the country....not the mvp on a high ranked team, and give that trophy to dmac. the heisman is not much more than a popularity contest and thats sad.
The dream is free, the journey is not.

Barman91

Regardless......all of us can say, without a doubt, we witnessed the best running back in Razorback (and maybe collegiate) history.

DMAC, you are THE (heis)MAN and we love ya

dhornjr1

We can only hope that a lot of the Heisman voters leave Tebow completely off their ballots because he is a sophomore.

Some did that to McFadden last year and I heard some talking heads on the radio today say that the same thing may happen to Tebow this year.

usnavyhogfan

absolutley right barman, i wish i could shake the mans hands and say thanks for being one hell of a hog, and thanks for giving us excitement on saturdays

Tejano Jawg

I'm wondering if ESPN's love affair with Tebow will backfire on them. Will other writers/voters from around the country see all their hype for him and say "you can't freaking tell ME how to think"?
Between McAfee being obnoxious and Corso decomposing before our eyes I can't even watch GameDay anymore. —Torqued Pork

Bill CHILL

December 05, 2007, 01:31:18 am #8 Last Edit: December 05, 2007, 01:35:20 am by Bill CHILL
It's all a ratings thing and selling papers thing. The AP, ESPN, USA Today all cater to one thing, a viewing or reading audience. What do California, Texas, Florida, and Ohio all have in common? Population. Cali is #1 with 45 million people. Texas is at #2 with 25 million, Florida is #4 with just over 18 million, and Ohio is now #6 in the land with pushing 14 million viewers and readers.

Arkansas is #33 with just 3 million. So you ask why this is important... It helps you understand the power of the media and how they serve their own interests. Carson Palmer, USC. Reggie Bush, USC, Matt Leinhart, USC. Vince Young, Texas, Troy Smith, OSU. Danny Weurful, Fla. Peter Warrick, Fla St. Ladanian Tomlinson, TCU, Ricky Williams, Texas.

Then you look at the honorable mentions.......They are usually from the #5-#20 population ranked states like Michigan @ #8, or Notre Dame (Indiana) at #14, or Rutgers (New Jersey) at #9, or Penn State, #7. You see my point. The Heisman race is nothing more than a popularity contest because that sells papers and tv ads.

What DMac has done at Arkansas can not be denied, or they would deny him for the sake of boosting their ratings. Can you imagin if the three finalists were from Boise St., Iowa and Arkansas? The media would NEVER allow that to happen. Follow the dollars and you'll see why Kirk the pretty boy still has a job. OUT!
You're born an original, so why die a copy?

AlDillard

Whoever is in charge of marketing DMAC Hman campaign should make a video showing nothing but DMAC's sick blocks from the year and send it to all voters. I think that might prove to them how he is the all round best player.

arkjarhead

I'm behind DMac regardless and will be following him once he hits the NFL scene.
Argument between me and the wife:
Her: I'm not talking about you I'm talking about tapeworms.
Me: No you're not. You're talking about me talking about tapeworms.
Score to date: Her:1,000,000       Me:1

idiotghos

It would be HUGE for the program if he won.

usnavyhogfan

im sure nutt will take the credit if he wins....i called that heisman brutha!

Kitten von Clawsewitz

QuoteRegardless......all of us can say, without a doubt, we witnessed the best running back in Razorback (and maybe collegiate) history.

Maybe the best runner in collegiate history? Hello???

Barry Sanders?

DMAC is great but c'mon.
I have the best hair on this website.

Barman91

Quote from: Kitten von Clawsewitz on December 05, 2007, 01:38:28 am
Maybe the best runner in collegiate history? Hello???

Barry Sanders?

DMAC is great but c'mon.

i think you have a kitty to tend to......

Kitten von Clawsewitz

Are you flirting with me?

dhornjr1

Barman91

Barman91

Quote from: Kitten von Clawsewitz on December 05, 2007, 01:47:03 am
Are you flirting with me?

oh well, even i get sleepy.... no more flirting left in me tonight.....  sleep tight snookems...

Im IT

Looks to me like Kitten took a cat nap......what a puss

Kitten von Clawsewitz

Adam Stokes

Quote from: Honey on December 04, 2007, 10:41:21 pm
If this has already been posted, act like it hasn't, ok?

Haha, Classic.

Honey

Quote from: Phenomenal One on December 05, 2007, 01:12:00 am
Man, if it was up to ESPN they would have given Tebow the Heisman trophy weeks ago.  That whole station is nothing but a Tebow hype-machine lately.  They just mention Darren in passing every time they talk about Tebow.  Plus they got Jesse Palmer, an ex-gator, talking up Tebow every chance he gets. 

I just don't see Darren oversoming this with such a Juggernaut like ESPN behind Tebow.  It is going to be a travesty of justice

Well, if the majority of voters let ESPN make up their minds for them, then they don't deserve to be voters.

AirForceHog

Great Article. I hope he wins it. It would be icing on his career cake.
If it turns, burns, banks or rolls, crew chiefs made it happen.

ArrowsATC

Quote from: Barman91 on December 05, 2007, 01:22:26 am
Regardless......all of us can say, without a doubt, we witnessed the best running back in Razorback (and maybe collegiate) history.

DMAC, you are THE (heis)MAN and we love ya

I am glad DMAC played at Arkansas, he is a joy to watch. I want him to win because he is from AR, it is hard to go against Tebow though. And DMAC may be the best at Arkansas, I haven't been following the Razorbacks long enough to say with certainty. I can say with certainty he is not the best in collegiate history...Bo Jackson, and Hershel Walker come to mind without much effort.

nughaud

justin2000m80

Jessie Palmer and Tebow...I think they have been hearding sheep on some certain mountain...if you know what I mean.  No sophmore has ever won and none should.  They say that you win the Heisman the year before.  Well DMAC deserved it last year.  Troy Smith was way over rated.  OSU got their ass handed to them by FLorida last year and will this year by LSU, I hope.  Quit freakin putting OSU in the BCS champ game!! They suck!! They play in a weak freakin conference and will get beat by the SEC evertime.  

Tripod1

Quote from: Bill CHILL on December 05, 2007, 01:31:18 am
It's all a ratings thing and selling papers thing. The AP, ESPN, USA Today all cater to one thing, a viewing or reading audience. What do California, Texas, Florida, and Ohio all have in common? Population. Cali is #1 with 45 million people. Texas is at #2 with 25 million, Florida is #4 with just over 18 million, and Ohio is now #6 in the land with pushing 14 million viewers and readers.

Arkansas is #33 with just 3 million. So you ask why this is important... It helps you understand the power of the media and how they serve their own interests. Carson Palmer, USC. Reggie Bush, USC, Matt Leinhart, USC. Vince Young, Texas, Troy Smith, OSU. Danny Weurful, Fla. Peter Warrick, Fla St. Ladanian Tomlinson, TCU, Ricky Williams, Texas.

Then you look at the honorable mentions.......They are usually from the #5-#20 population ranked states like Michigan @ #8, or Notre Dame (Indiana) at #14, or Rutgers (New Jersey) at #9, or Penn State, #7. You see my point. The Heisman race is nothing more than a popularity contest because that sells papers and tv ads.

What DMac has done at Arkansas can not be denied, or they would deny him for the sake of boosting their ratings. Can you imagin if the three finalists were from Boise St., Iowa and Arkansas? The media would NEVER allow that to happen. Follow the dollars and you'll see why Kirk the pretty boy still has a job. OUT!

100% correct.  Speaks pretty much of all that happens in this country.  The majority are ruled by the powerful and we "little ones" only think we have a voice.

AFWarrior83

I'm just glad he loves that helmet!  Hopefully he will get what he deserves.
Hogville member since 2005.

El Puerco Grande

I heard some guy on Fox last night say that Tebow was better than Hall-of-famer Steve Young. Said he was a better runner, AND a better passer. Said anybody that doesn't vote for Tebow ought to have his vote taken away. What a jerk.
How 'bout them hogs?

BigArkyintheRock

And in the 10th year, the Razorback faithful finally fired Houston Dale Nutt! Preach this, brotha!

If you want to eliminate the mental mistake - FIRE HDN! WPS!

RickyRoma

USCoastGuard

Come back over Gus!

Hoggurl1964

Very good read.  And I tell you guys what.  I really think ESPN's shameless pimping of Tim Tebow is going to backfire.  This thing will be close but I think DMAC will pull it out. 

Wayne Watson

Take a look at http://gridironhistory.com/
IF YOU DON'T TAILGATE WITH HOGVILLE...YOU HAVEN'T BEEN TO A TAILGATE!
Check out www.fearlessfriday.com
We don't rent pigs

Piglet Dispersion Syndrome

did I read that right?  New England Patriots have the #2 overall pick?

hillhog

Good analysis.  Probably correct in that Tebow will win it due to popularity and high profile image. Might have helped if we had used an 21st century offense.

jwdento3

"The junior running back tore up SEC defenses, rushing for 1,725 yards and 15 touchdowns for an 8-4 Arkansas team without a polished quarterback or a 21st-century offense."
"From the start/ She knew she had it made/ Easy up 'til then/ For sure she'd make the grade/ Adorers came in hordes/ To lay down in her wake/ Gave it all she had/ But treasures slowly fade.

Now she's falling hard/ Feels the fall of dark/ How did this fall apart?/ She drinks to fill it up/ A smile of sweetest flowers/ Wilted so and soured/ Black tears stain the cheeks/ That once were so admired.

She thinks when she was small/ There on her father's knee/ How he had promised her,/ "You'll always be my baby."

"Daddy come quick,/ The dreaming tree has died/ I can't find my way home/ There is no place to hide/ The dreaming tree has died."

hogintxhillcountry

This article tell me Mcfadden wins the Heisman.  Kirk Bohls is the biggest hoghater known in Texas.  Can't stand the man.  This same arshead had the sack to state that "Arkansas was never any more of a rivalry of TU's than the Rice Owls were during the existance of the SWC. That statement was made the day before the #5 ranked Horns got punched in the mouth in Austin by MJ, and the Hogs.  

Three of the four sports writers in the local Austin fishwrap picked D-Mac the winner this morning. If these biased liberal minded hoghaters here in Austin picked McFadden, than the whole country has to know who the "real deal" is.  

EZ$STACK

Pats have San Frans first round pick which gives them one of the top picks in the draft depending on how the 9ers finish out the season.

agr347

How cool would it be f he ended up with the Pats?!!?   HE is by far the best player in college in my opinion, of course that opinion is a little biased.  Not to take anything away from Tebow, but it seems like the article said, that with a good RB his numbers would have been lower, so they are somewhat inflated...that said, he is still a good player
"Just remember, its not a lie if you believe it." -George Costanza

FedUpWithNutt

Thanks BigArky..these are the type of threads that you like to be a part of. 

Smokehouse

Quote from: agr347 on December 05, 2007, 10:13:14 am
How cool would it be f he ended up with the Pats?!!?   HE is by far the best player in college in my opinion, of course that opinion is a little biased.  Not to take anything away from Tebow, but it seems like the article said, that with a good RB his numbers would have been lower, so they are somewhat inflated...that said, he is still a good player

uh... not cool at all?
QuoteSometimes a warrior just has to lay down on the ground there for a minute and just have a good bleed. Just bleed.

Words of wisdom from John Pelphrey.

Smokehouse

Someone needs to send this to Mark May, I think ESPN puts him on every ten minutes just ot point out that D-Mac only had 44 yards against Auburn. His heisman candidate may have only had -15, but, you know, whatever.
QuoteSometimes a warrior just has to lay down on the ground there for a minute and just have a good bleed. Just bleed.

Words of wisdom from John Pelphrey.

Tripod1

This same arshead had the sack to state that "Arkansas was never any more of a rivalry of TU's than the Rice Owls were during the existance of the SWC.

He is pretty much right.  In our minds Texas was the biggest rival but not to Texas.  The SWC days are over, move on into the SEC and real football.

Tfnmusic