Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

tommy bowden (merged)

Started by arkansas razorbacks, December 03, 2007, 11:31:29 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

JDHOGG#1

Remind me because I can't remember...wasn't the last Coach ousted by the fans for not taking them to a BCS Bowl game?  Pretty much the same thing that the fans in Clemson are saying about Bowden...we need a proven winner, not a mediocre Coach!!!  If you read ESPN this morning it paints a very similar picture.  Any thoughts?

Razor-back

MuskogeeHogFan

Quote from: Razorback56 on December 04, 2007, 09:35:08 am
i think the HC picks his own OC, and I doubt he would pick gus.

Why would you doubt that?
Go Hogs Go!

Tfnmusic

big john

john goodwin

corpitguy

Rimshot524

Quote from: JDHOGG#1 on December 04, 2007, 09:39:02 am
Remind me because I can't remember...wasn't the last Coach ousted by the fans for not taking them to a BCS Bowl game?  Pretty much the same thing that the fans in Clemson are saying about Bowden...we need a proven winner, not a mediocre Coach!!!  If you read ESPN this morning it paints a very similar picture.  Any thoughts?

Saw that and totally agree.

jaredkr

Obviously Bobby has coached a lot longer, so I was just wondering how tommy compared to Bobby in his first 10 years as a HC.......I'm looking for a silver lining here people.....
I am Ray Finkel

Peety

Just give it to Malzan or Herring for $500,000.  I would just as soon give them a shot at it and we could save several million, the results will probably be the same.

TXrazorback

Don't get too bent out of shape here guys.  The title of the article says M-A-Y.

Not a done deal.
Quote from: Hawg Balling on December 04, 2012, 03:59:08 pm
According to Hogville, fantasy offense and passing 80 times a game wins championships.

CacheHog

Quote from: rljjr on December 04, 2007, 05:52:13 am
I hardly think the banners have anything to do with this impending train wreck. People get booed, people get banners flown ... it happens. Just like any long-term relationship that ends we're going to go and sleep with the first girl to come along who acknowledges our presence. We'll wake up married after a wild night in Vegas and realize it was a mistake, but hey, we'll make the best of it for a while. We'll end up getting divorced in about three or four years and she'll take the trailer and lifetime supply of rice-a-roni and we'll start again. Wait, is that Razorback football or a country song?

:razorback:  :razorback:  :razorback:
A lifetime supply of rice-a-roni?
Excellent!!!   :D

crazyrazy

I heard that "some" of the BOT with "reservations" was actually a "majority", reflected by results of a vote.

trippigs

I spent some time reading about Tommy Bowden and I think he is a reasonable choice. He is an experienced coach with integrity and could do well here if he hires good coordinators and assistants. His OVERALL body of work and reputation is impressive. Looks like the typical Clemson fan is not happy to see him leave. I would hope other Hog fans would do their research before bashing the guy.

JDHOGG#1

I have a strong "source" that tells me we are going to get a Mediocre Coach!!  :puke:

savimbi2002

Bowden is a bad, bad, bad hire.
He is constantly one loss from being fired at Clemson. Look it up.
Sad day.

BrooklynRoss

From the Espn article concerning Arkansas preparing to offer Bowden $2/Year:

"Bowden, 47, has seemingly been on the hot seat each of the last three seasons at Clemson, as fans have become frustrated with his inability to get the Tigers to the ACC championship game or a BCS bowl."

Hmmm... is it just me or does this seem like it would throw us out of the frying pan into the fire? How about $500,000/year + 500,000 for getting to the SEC Championship + 500,000 for winning it + 500,000 for a BCS bowl?
I support the Razorbacks in the city that never sleeps.

weresoclose

BrooklynRoss

I'll give the guy a chance but it seems like a dumb hire. It's not even a safe hire, it's a hire that brings in the same problems the program had with the last coach.
I support the Razorbacks in the city that never sleeps.

PioneerJack

Quote from: arkansas razorbacks on December 03, 2007, 11:38:20 pm
So your sayin that coaching doesnt matter with this years lsu team? so nutt would have that team in the national title game this year? i dont think so. keep talking your sounding more and more intelligent by the post...
Nutt would have that team UNDEFEATED this year

JDHOGG#1

Quote from: BrooklynRoss on December 04, 2007, 09:45:45 am
From the Espn article concerning Arkansas preparing to offer Bowden $2/Year:

"Bowden, 47, has seemingly been on the hot seat each of the last three seasons at Clemson, as fans have become frustrated with his inability to get the Tigers to the ACC championship game or a BCS bowl."

Hmmm... is it just me or does this seem like it would throw us out of the frying pan into the fire? How about $500,000/year + 500,000 for getting to the SEC Championship + 500,000 for winning it + 500,000 for a BCS bowl?

The most reasonable thing I've heard thus far!!

big john

got this from guys on him,this is what you'll get from him.

1. The guy can recruit.
2. He has nine lives like a cat. When his back is against the wall, he's at his best.
3. High graduation rate of football players at Klimpsun.
4. His players generally stay on the sports page and off of the front page.
5. He will change coordinators at the drop of a hat, which has worked well for him on his last two hires.
6. He's arrogant to a degree, very religious, and thinks highly of himself.
7. He's 7-2 vs. Lou Holtz and Steve Spurrier FWIW.
8. He stays out of the NCAA spotlight, only one minor violation in nine years.
9. Has not won, nor played for the ACC championship, but he's always 'one or two points away". >:(
john goodwin

hogfanmatt72212

Quote from: big john on December 04, 2007, 09:49:17 am
got this from guys on him,this is what you'll get from him.

1. The guy can recruit.
2. He has nine lives like a cat. When his back is against the wall, he's at his best.
3. High graduation rate of football players at Klimpsun.
4. His players generally stay on the sports page and off of the front page.
5. He will change coordinators at the drop of a hat, which has worked well for him on his last two hires.
6. He's arrogant to a degree, very religious, and thinks highly of himself.
7. He's 7-2 vs. Lou Holtz and Steve Spurrier FWIW.
8. He stays out of the NCAA spotlight, only one minor violation in nine years.
9. Has not won, nor played for the ACC championship, but he's always 'one or two points away". >:(

that is a pretty good record against an in-state rivalry that plays in the SEC. I'm not sure why people are so concerned with win-loss record. I just want to be competitive and play close games and win at least half time time in the Conference. I do not think he's as good as Nutt though

Rimshot524

Is this really the best we can do, or is this Long hiring a guy he wants because they worked together previously?
We are destined to mediocrity if this happens. Am I wrong, or do we not have the money to go after a "bigger name" coach. Just wondering.

HawgWyld

December 04, 2007, 09:59:15 am #323 Last Edit: December 04, 2007, 10:00:54 am by HawgWyld
Well, this is just great, isn't it? Arkansas may wind up with Tommy Bowden and everyone's irate. However, consider this -- Arkansas has had two opportunities to hire great coaches over the past decades and has blown them completely.

We all remember what happened 10 years ago, right? A search committee -- apparently suffering from a bad case of group think and a desire to deny Frank Broyles the coach he wanted -- picked Houston Damn Nutt over Tommy Tuberville. Nutt was a terrible choice on paper, seeing how he had one whole season in Div-IA and managed to go 5-6 (4-7 before a forfeit) in that. We had our shot at Tuberville and blew it.

A couple of years ago, Butch Davis was available and apparently interested in the Arkansas job. Instead of kicking that idiot Nutt to the curb, the UA stiffs Davis. Somehow during the process, a high school football coach was made offensive coordinator in a move to get some blue chip recruits who were skittish about Nutt to show up in Fayetteville. Said high school football coach gets SEC coordinator of the year, then the BAC sits back and lets moron Nutt run him -- and the players that came with him -- out of the state. So, we avoided hiring Davis and wound up with all kinds of trouble.

By the way, why on earth would Davis and Tuberville be seriously interested in Arkansas now? They both got passed over in favor of Houston Nutt. That's got to be humiliating on a professional level.

That brings us up to today. The BAC dropped the ball twice and is now in a position where it needs to find a coach. Like, fast. The timing is terrible to get a great one right now, it seems, and things are made even worse by two other factors. First of all, you've got the specter of Frank Broyles lurking around the program like a guest who just won't leave a party. Broyles is reputed to stick his nose in where it doesn't belong and insist that "his" coaches run an offense that was in vogue when Elvis was still making movies. Who the hell wants to deal with that? Second, you've got the fans. Yes, it seems some of us just can't get over the fun of being in the "darksider" camp and will screech about any coach who shows up here. Who the hell wants to deal with that?

Frankly, I'm still glad -- darned glad -- to see Nutt taking his dog and pony show over to Mississippi. I'll happily give the new guy a chance (even if it is Tommy Bowden) and would hope that other Arkansas fans would do the same.

AckaBacka

Quote from: arkansas razorbacks on December 03, 2007, 11:34:11 pm
Les Miles didnt exactly tear it up in the big 12 but i would say hes doing okay in his 3rd season in the sec...wouldnt you?
He's at LSU not Arkansas.

Ron Burgunby

December 04, 2007, 10:00:28 am #326 Last Edit: December 04, 2007, 10:03:00 am by Ron Burgunby
I thought we were going after a guy who could take us to the next level.  Bowden has a proven to be no better than Nutt in a lesser conference.  Give me a unknown coordinator rather than a known coach that can't cut it.  I hear people talking about discipline and integrity.  I seem to remember a fight on the field with SC a few years back.  That does not seem like a disciplined program.  

I guess this is what you get when you shout anyone but Nutt.  

hogmafia

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOo. hire gus

Nashville Fan

To the haters "thanks for killing our recruiting class". Sound Familiar?
Pittman or Bust!

Tiredofhogssucking

Here is Bowden's Conf Record at Clemson

1999    5-3
2000    6-2
2001    4-4
2002    4-4
2003    5-3
2004    4-4
2005    4-4
2006    5-3
2007    5-3

More of the same...from the last 10 years with Nutt-JOB!!!!

Gohogsgo23

They don't want him either...... My gosh.... Can we not get a solid hire here.....  I have a lot of friends too Long, but I wouldn't hire any of them to run my business.  When he comes in and sucks it up, will Long have the nads to fire his friend?  I think not....

julie

That would be 9:00 a.m. our time, no? 

Rimshot524

has anyone heard the rumor that Gus has resigned at Tulsa?

HogFan219

Heard it, but haven't seen anything official.

granny grunt

I want to get this over with but, .... I don't want Bowden.... It would be too much like Broyles hiring and protecting his friend Nutt for ten years...
I would rather have Gus Malzahn and go 0/8 the first year and 8/0 the second year as have Bowden and go 4/4 and 4/4........
Since it is apparent that Long isn't going after a Big Name coach,   why not get Gus while the getting is good?

Rimshot524

Does Gus have offers from someone?

gtaylor

If we wanted a guy that hasn't won a conference championship, hasn't made it to a BCS bowl, and has an average conference record why didn't we just keep HDN?