Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Heath has done the impossible

Started by Hoggysoprano, March 11, 2005, 09:53:02 am

Previous topic - Next topic

Hoggysoprano

He has taken our team back to the pre Eddie Sutton era.  I can remember those good times, being able to yell at someone on the other side of the gym during the game and having them not only hear you but answer back.  Ah yes, the good ole days. 

Macgyver_Hawg

Macgyver_Hawg

I'd rather play under the bleachers than witness another Jacksonville State game.

PerryHog

Yeah, I remember. Great seats. Anywhere you wanted to sit.
Van Eman's teams were much more fun to watch than what heath puts on the court. Had a guy who could actually rebound, Dean Tolosn. Had another guy, Martin Terry, who could and did hit from anywhere. Team wasn't worth a crap, but we didn't have any expectations.

Maybe we should return to that way of thinking.

Amityvillehogger

Member # 2987.
Registered - 02-23-2005

razorback44

"No force and no man can abolish memory"  FDR

Amityvillehogger

Guess he didnt fit into heaths system........whatever that is... ;D
Member # 2987.
Registered - 02-23-2005

HighOnHogs

Quote from: Amityvillehogger on March 11, 2005, 12:39:58 pm
into heaths system........whatever that is... ;D

............"that's the way to do it".................."money for nothing" 

Jim Harris

Quote from: Hoggysoprano on March 11, 2005, 10:55:09 am
Quote from: MacGyver_Hawg on March 11, 2005, 10:49:52 am
What were you yelling?

Do you remember when Barnhill had those old bleachers and kids use to play underneath them? I have heard parents yell at their kids from one side and the kids would hear them, that was during the games. Would be about 500 to maybe a 1000 people at the games. That is where Stan is taking this program.

Worse than that was when Memphis State University, which would go on to play UCLA in the NCAA championship game, played Arkansas in Barton Coliseum in Little Rock in 1972-73. And Lanny Van Eman had recruited some pretty decent players and had Martin Terry. I think the attendance was generously estimated at 400. If there was 400, 300 were rooting for Memphis State.
There are fairly amazing parallels to Heath and Van Eman, though Van Eman actually built a team and recruited real guards right off the bat. Both were very good recruiters, noted as recruiters and Broyles, who was de facto AD even then under George Cole, helped fine Van Eman off Ralph Miller's Iowa staff and get him to Fayettevlle. Van Eman's first year was sort of the way Heath's luck has gone this year, with 10 losses coming by 6 points or fewer. Good coaches win those games. Van Eman was smart enough to bring up Pat Foster for his last couple of years to ahve some bench coaching, and Eddie recognized Pat's strengths and retained him when Van Eman was fired in 74.
"We've been trying to build a program on a 7-8 win per season business model .... We upgraded the Business Model." -- John Tyson

pioneerhog

Well lets give Heath a pat on the back for this one, I'm joking. If they don't fire him this year, which I don't think will happen, he must show a major improvement next year or he should be fired next year.