Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Wally on 103.7 The Buzz

Started by riccoar, March 11, 2005, 08:46:32 am

Previous topic - Next topic

riccoar

Don't know if any of you heard Tommy Smith this morning.  Wally Hall called in from Atlanta and held back no punches.  He said JFB shares no fault in Heath's hire.  He said White had hired Heath before the so called committee ever left to go interview coaches.  He said Heath was advised to hire an assistant coach with some sort of SEC or Arkansas background and that Eddie Sutton called Heath personally and offered to let him hire Dickey.  As you know, Heath didn't take that advice.  Wally said no way Heath gets fired, but if he were JFB, he would be waiting when the plane landed to tell Heath that Heath would be hiring a complete new group of assistant coaches and that JFB would have to approve the hires.  Hard to paraphrase the conversation, but it was very much an eye opener. 

Biggus Piggus

Interesting that Broyles would distance himself from Heath.  Gosh, now on this board in the past few days we have seen three different versions of the hiring story.  I don't think Wally would feel confident in blasting people unless he knew what side he needed to be on.
[CENSORED]!

riccoar

Biggus, I don't know if anyone could get a transcript, because if they could a whole lot of jaws would have dropped.

Amityvillehogger

Heard the conversation this morning too, it does make you wonder if wally does know something...It was an eye opener
Member # 2987.
Registered - 02-23-2005

junkyardhog

That is very good info. I really hate to comment on 3rd hand info, but it really sounds as if you got the gist of the conversation correct.  Not being as up on Bball as I am Football, I really do not know what impact assistants have on a team. Anyone care to enlighten me?

Also, If Eddie Sutton calls and give a new coach advise, they darned well had better listen!!!!  Heath hasn't listen to Jack darn and his team is playing like that.

Heath has wasted a darned good class this year, there was no reason this team couldn't have gotten at least to the 16, maybe even 8.

20 points to Tenn???? You gotta be freaking kiddin me.  The team coached itself for the first few minutes and came out strong, but then you need a COACH to lead, and we simply don't have one!!!!

Amityvillehogger

He said "absolutely no chance, none" to stan leaving.... :o
Member # 2987.
Registered - 02-23-2005

HogInMemphis

Quote from: riccoar on March 11, 2005, 08:46:32 am
Don't know if any of you heard Tommy Smith this morning.  Wally Hall called in from Atlanta and held back no punches.  He said JFB shares no fault in Heath's hire.  He said White had hired Heath before the so called committee ever left to go interview coaches.  He said Heath was advised to hire an assistant coach with some sort of SEC or Arkansas background and that Eddie Sutton called Heath personally and offered to let him hire Dickey.  As you know, Heath didn't take that advice.  Wally said no way Heath gets fired, but if he were JFB, he would be waiting when the plane landed to tell Heath that Heath would be hiring a complete new group of assistant coaches and that JFB would have to approve the hires.  Hard to paraphrase the conversation, but it was very much an eye opener. 

Can't fire two black head coaches within 4 years. Heath is here for a good while longer.

HogInMemphis

Quote from: ImHogginIt on March 11, 2005, 09:43:22 am
Quote from: HogInMemphis on March 11, 2005, 09:40:05 am

Can't fire two black head coaches within 4 years. Heath is here for a good while longer.

If that is the way our society is when we can't fire someone for not producing because they are black, then I hope we never hire another black coach. EVER !

Hush yo mouf!

Jim Harris

Quote from: HogInMemphis on March 11, 2005, 09:40:05 am

Is there anyway Frank could get Heath the job at Eastern Michigan, the way he would move coaches back in the good old days when it was time to move them elsewhere?
"We've been trying to build a program on a 7-8 win per season business model .... We upgraded the Business Model." -- John Tyson

junkyardhog

Quote from: UAGrad95 on March 11, 2005, 09:25:36 am
Anyone know what Jim Lindsey's position on this is? He seems to be the Power Broker du jour. Think if he was pissed off enough we'd get some movement on this?

Normally, I would say Jim Lindsey has the power to do ANYTHING on the hill he wants. ANYTHING!!  While he feasibly COULD call for Stan, it would be the last string he would ever pull and he knows it!!

There is much more than athletics involved here, Nolan's case is technically still under appeal and there would be very serious repurcussions from the firing of Heath this year.  Next year, yes, it is very possible. Most businessmen know when to pull strings and when NOT to. This is NOT the time.

sooie dog

Quote from: UAGrad95 on March 11, 2005, 11:00:46 am
Very true. We've painted ourselves into a tight corner, haven't we? In one of my rare moments of agreeing with Wally Hall, I give 100% of the blame for this mess to John White.

Maybe that's where we should start.  White is white isn't he.  Last time I heard you could fire a white guy for being a jackass. I think that would be a huge step in the right direction.

SardisHog

Stan would not be fired for being black. Would not be fired because of his race. He would be fired for not knowing how to coach. How much clearer can it be. Nowin was fired because he quite doing his job and stood on his high horse about how good he was. I like Stan the person but not Stan the coach.  BTW FIRE Stan.
"You're only given a little spark of madness. You mustn't lose it."<br />- Robin Williams

Amityvillehogger

hmmmm....smells like a rat to me....lets squash it.... :D
Member # 2987.
Registered - 02-23-2005

HogDodging

Come on.  It's Wally-frickin'-Hall.  That should be enough to tell you the story has no validity.

The Master Of All

Quote from: UAGrad95 on March 11, 2005, 11:09:25 am
John White has given us plenty of justification for running his arrogant ass out of town on a rail. I start with his attempt to shut down the U of A press his first month on the job. The more I learn about him the less I like.
White has done an amazing job in fundraising and raising the University's academic standards.  You know, academics, the whole reason the University exists.

No reason to run him out of town because he hired the wrong man to coach basketball.  Amazing how people forget the actual purpose of the school.
Without me, you people would just be confused.

Jim Harris

Quote from: The Master Of All on March 11, 2005, 12:39:55 pm
John White has given us plenty of justification for running his arrogant ass out of town on a rail. I start with his attempt to shut down the U of A press his first month on the job. The more I learn about him the less I like.
White has done an amazing job in fundraising and raising the University's academic standards. You know, academics, the whole reason the University exists.

No reason to run him out of town because he hired the wrong man to coach basketball. Amazing how people forget the actual purpose of the school.

what's funny about the UA is, if not for football and basketball over the many decades, it would be about the size of University of the Ozarks and nobody else except the students who go there would give a damn.
"We've been trying to build a program on a 7-8 win per season business model .... We upgraded the Business Model." -- John Tyson

HogInMemphis

Quote from: drakehog on March 11, 2005, 12:42:02 pm
White has done an amazing job in fundraising and raising the University's academic standards. You know, academics, the whole reason the University exists.

No reason to run him out of town because he hired the wrong man to coach basketball. Amazing how people forget the actual purpose of the school.

what's funny about the UA is, if not for football and basketball over the many decades, it would be about the size of University of the Ozarks and nobody else except the students who go there would give a damn.

Ouch! But you're probably right, given the remoteness of the location within the state. If they hadn't made the commitment to fball and bball decades ago, it would not have flourished as it has. And even with all the growth and $ donated by Waltons, etc, the student count hasn't grown much over the last 25 years. When I was there, fall of '80 to spring of '84, it was right under 15,000 counting graduates and law students. I don't think it is much larger than that now, is it?

Jim Harris

Quote from: HogInMemphis on March 11, 2005, 12:46:37 pm

Ouch! But you're probably right, given the remoteness of the location within the state. If they hadn't made the commitment to fball and bball decades ago, it would not have flourished as it has. And even with all the growth and $ donated by Waltons, etc, the student count hasn't grown much over the last 25 years. When I was there, fall of '80 to spring of '84, it was right under 15,000 counting graduates and law students. I don't think it is much larger than that now, is it?

no, it's not much bigger than when Holtz was coaching. Maybe the number was at or approaching 16,000 this fall, according to some report I saw, but after 27 years, and looking at how every other land grant school has grown (other than Ole Miss) and every large state university has grown, that's pretty pathetic. When White arrived, I interviewed him for Arkansas Business. He said his priority was to raise the standards but yet raise the enrollment over 20,000. That should occur in about 2060 at this rate.

Boared

per the university website, total enrollment is: 16,449

hogzz1

Quote from: drakehog on March 11, 2005, 12:51:30 pm

no, it's not much bigger than when Holtz was coaching. Maybe the number was at or approaching 16,000 this fall, according to some report I saw, but after 27 years, and looking at how every other land grant school has grown (other than Ole Miss) and every large state university has grown, that's pretty pathetic. When White arrived, I interviewed him for Arkansas Business. He said his priority was to raise the standards but yet raise the enrollment over 20,000. That should occur in about 2060 at this rate.

actually were supposed to hit itby 2010

Jim Harris

Quote from: hogzz1 on March 11, 2005, 12:57:50 pm

they'd better hoof it to make it in five years.

Kevin

i don't like coaches who fire assistants to save his own butt.  you should not be told by your boss to fire somebody.  heath should now if the guys he hired are getting the job done or not.  if not he should fire them.  here is the bad thing about it.  the white assistant is about to get axed.  we are not going to fire ronny thompson.  we are not going tofire the guy up for the eastern michigan job, he is not going to get, an assistant from michigan is going to get it. so that leaves Rob Flaska.  i don't know if he is getting it done or not but he is about to say bye-bye because he is not the son of a man named john or has an outstanding resume like the other assistant. NOT
Submit yourselves therefore to God. Resist the devil and he will flee from you.<br />James 4:7
Reject Every Kind Of Evil 1 Thessalonians 5:22

NuttsSacked

Quote from: drakehog on March 11, 2005, 01:24:01 pm

They're working very hard on the attendance figures, but the standards are obviously dropping.

NuttsSacked

Quote from: NuttsSacked on March 11, 2005, 01:57:50 pm

They're working very hard on the attendance figures, but the standards are obviously dropping.

Ever read a BAT post here?

Jim Harris

Quote from: NuttsSacked on March 11, 2005, 01:57:50 pm

They need to  hire Rick Schaeffer and put him in charge of the attendance figures. He was always able to count 20,000-plus at games when there are seats for 19,200 and hundreds here and there were empty.