Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Scott Sutton anyone?

Started by Modsquad24, March 08, 2005, 04:33:18 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Modsquad24

I would love to hire Scott Sutton as Arkansas basketball coach if Stan Heath doesn't workout,  he has done a great job building the Oral Roberts program the last 4 years and tonight they have a great chance to lock up a ncaa bid by winning the mid continent conference for the firstime in awhile for their program. If you watch his team tonight, they play team ball and they are very disciplined which equals success. I would be so pleased if they hired Sutton and I think he could have Arkansas back as a perennial power really quick.  Thoughts anyone?

Whataboar™

Quote from: Modsquad24 on March 08, 2005, 04:33:18 pm
I would love to hire Scott Sutton as Arkansas basketball coach if Stan Heath doesn't workout, he has done a great job building the Oral Roberts program the last 4 years and tonight they have a great chance to lock up a ncaa bid by winning the mid continent conference for the firstime in awhile for their program. If you watch his team tonight, they play team ball and they are very disciplined which equals success. I would be so pleased if they hired Sutton and I think he could have Arkansas back as a perennial power really quick. Thoughts anyone?
I'm not sure Eddie would want Scott working for Frank, given their troubled past.
Of course, it would be Scott's decision ... but you know Eddie would have a lot of input.
In the meantime, I'm not giving up totally on Heath.
I need to see some type of offensive philosophy take root and a sterner hand with players, though.
Mr. Nice Guy isn't working.

"Daddy. When you and mommy first met, did you love yourself first or did mommy love you first?'' _ our then 7-year-old daughter.

Pragmatic PiG

Quote from: Whataboar™ on March 08, 2005, 05:33:14 pm
I would love to hire Scott Sutton as Arkansas basketball coach if Stan Heath doesn't workout, he has done a great job building the Oral Roberts program the last 4 years and tonight they have a great chance to lock up a ncaa bid by winning the mid continent conference for the firstime in awhile for their program. If you watch his team tonight, they play team ball and they are very disciplined which equals success. I would be so pleased if they hired Sutton and I think he could have Arkansas back as a perennial power really quick. Thoughts anyone?
I'm not sure Eddie would want Scott working for Frank, given their troubled past.
Of course, it would be Scott's decision ... but you know Eddie would have a lot of input.

some of that troubled past had to do with a liqour bottle permanently being attached to eddies hand. maybe he will advise sean to keep that under wraps.......

Modsquad24

In a recent interview I read where Eddie said he enjoyed his time here,  at the time where he said he would crawl to Kentucky he apologized for that. I think he would encourage Scott to take the job here and I think Scott Sutton would be an awesome fiit for Arkansas. GHG!

NuttsSacked

The first thing that crosses my mind...I wonder what PaPa Sutton would have to say about that? 

I have a feeling Eddie's advice to son would be "steer clear of Arkansas for the time being", citing..."they want immediate results and will chew-up and spit out any coach less than a proven winner".

If I were Scott, I'd listen to dear ol' dad.  This program doesn't need another up-and-comer still cutting his teeth.

return2glory

Nolan Richardson will coach the hogs again before Scott Sutton does. Scott is already practically handling the OSU job. He has been groomed for that job for years. Whenever Eddie retires, that job is Scott's. No chance he would ever come here. That program and job are already his, as he handles a lot of coaching/recruiting already.

PS. Don't give up on Stan just yet

Macgyver_Hawg

Eddie's told friends still in Fayetteville he wished he would have stayed at Arkansas.
And Eddie has a son who still lives in Fayetteville.

Modsquad24

it was Scott's brother Sean Sutton an Osu assistant that has been named Eddie's successer when he retires, I asked on the oklahoma state board to see which one it was. GHG!

mikeirwin

March 08, 2005, 06:23:03 pm #8 Last Edit: March 08, 2005, 06:24:51 pm by mikeirwin
Lets see, in the last few days we've had the following coaches proposed here as a replacement for Stan Heath:
1. Doc Sadler
2. Mike Anderson
3. Scott Sutton
You guys are really aiming high.
Here's how you hire a coach.
Norm DeBriyn steps down as the Hogs baseball coach. The best guy out there is Dave Van Horn. Virtually everybody who knows anything about college baseball says that. But the experts in the Big 12 say no way would Van Horn leave the sweet deal he's got at Nebraska. They've just built him a brand new state of the art ball park with an underground heating system that melts snow, for goodness sake. Plus Nebraska's paying him top dollar and he's sitting right there in the hometown of the College World Series where he'll draw like crazy everytime his team gets into the College World Series.
Frank opens the check book. He offers Van Horn $ 250,000 per year and promises to spend 2 million adding more seats to Baum Stadium. He also says he'll get rid of the green rug on George Cole field and replace it with grass and the same expensive drainage system that's in RRS. And how about a new scoreboard with a 5 camera video board that is unlike anything in college baseball ? How about a gazillion skyboxes and gee coach, we'll give one of the skyboxes to you which can double as your office. What a shock. Van Horn leaves Nebraska. What a shock. The Hog Baseball team wins the West, shares an SEC title and goes to the College World Series in his second season.
Are we glad Frank didn't go after Alabama-Birmingham's coach, or some dude at ORU or maybe a famous coaches son?
If you want to win you pony up for the best coach out there and go after him. If you don't get him go to number two on the list etc., etc.

Lanny

Quote from: mikeirwin on March 08, 2005, 06:23:03 pm
Lets see, in the last few days we've had the following coaches proposed here as a replacement for Stan Heath:
1. Doc Sadler
2. Mike Anderson
3. Scott Sutton
Norm DeBriyn steps down as the Hogs baseball coach. The best guy out there is Dave Van Horn. Virtually everybody who knows anything about college baseball says that. But the experts in the Big 12 say no way would Van Horn leave the sweet deal he's got at Nebraska. They've just built him a brand new state of the art ball park with an underground heating system that melts snow, for goodness sake. Plus Nebraska's paying him top dollar and he's sitting right there in the hometown of the College World Series where he'll draw like crazy everytime his team gets into the College World Series.
Frank opens the check book. He offers Van Horn $ 250,000 per year and promises to spend 2 million adding more seats to Baum Stadium. He also says he'll get rid of the green rug on George Cole field and replace it with grass and the same expensive drainage system that's in RRS. And how about a new scoreboard with a 5 camera video board that is unlike anything in college baseball ? How about a gazillion skyboxes and gee coach, we'll give one of the skyboxes to you which can double as your office. What a shock. Van Horn leaves Nebraska. What a shock. The Hog Baseball team wins the West, shares an SEC title and goes to the College World Series in his second season.
Are we glad Frank didn't go after Alabama-Birmingham's coach, or some dude at ORU or maybe a famous coaches son?
If you want to win you pony up for the best coach out there and go after him. If you don't get him go to number two on the list etc., etc.

I love the way you think but who would be on that list?
"It's only a game if you win but if you lose it's a stinking waste of time."

Al Bundy

Modsquad24

There were some Rick Petino rumors circulating in Fayetteville, if Heath doesnt do it next year maybe Frank looks there. Would that be a big get or what?

mikeirwin

Quote from: hSv on March 08, 2005, 06:26:45 pm
I'm dead serious Lanny. You start with coach K and work your way down. Roy Williams ? Rick Pitino ? Rick Majerus ? Hey, you never know if you don't ask. I will assure you there are some high profile coaches out there who would come here in a heatbeat if the right offer were made.
I think Frank used more smarts in the way he got Van Horn than in any other hire he's made. If you can do it in baseball you can do it in football or basketball or any other sport.

Lanny

Quote from: mikeirwin on March 08, 2005, 06:37:54 pm
Quote from: hSv on March 08, 2005, 06:26:45 pm
I'm dead serious Lanny. You start with coach K and work your way down. Roy Williams ? Rick Pitino ? Rick Majerus ? Hey, you never know if you don't ask. I will assure you there are some high profile coaches out there who would come here in a heatbeat if the right offer were made.
I think Frank used more smarts in the way he got Van Horn than in any other hire he's made. If you can do it in baseball you can do it in football or basketball or any other sport.

I couldn't agree more, Majerus seem to like Arkansas earlier in the season but his health would bother me.  I would go after Self and then Pitino.
"It's only a game if you win but if you lose it's a stinking waste of time."

Al Bundy

rathog1

Quick question.

Why is it when coaching jobs are mentioned that sons of good coaches are brought up? Am I missing something? Has any son of a coach ever done jack squat? The only one I can come up with is Terry Bowden???? And his best season was his first with Dye's players.
Hogking 7-09-05
11:42:25 PM
this will be a 1998 type season maybe better

hogballs

I'm all for going after Pitino and NOW!  Don't wait another year.  The guys we have are built for the type of game that Pitino and a certain coach from our past plays.  Big 10 basketball just won't do it in a conference full of schools trying to gear themselves to play to the style of Kentucky.

I think Heath is a fine person and really knows how to handle himself with the press, the fans and our school administration.  He says and does all the right things to keep from embarrassing the university OFF the court.  However, the play of the team ON the court as of late has been really embarrassing.

Semper Hogelis

March 08, 2005, 08:01:17 pm #15 Last Edit: March 08, 2005, 08:08:46 pm by Sec. 13/ Row E
Amen to Mikes post. I know things have been bad lately, but come on guy's. Don't you think U of A basketball can do better than the above names. Last time I checked we had a coach employed here. My bad. We are paying two head coaches. Anyway. I like Stan. But if he ends up going after next season, and no it wont be this season. Arkansas still has the clout to get big time coaches.
I need a monkey, a football and a bucket of grease. HY coaching search 2019....

yosemite HAM

1. Doc Sadler
2. Mike Anderson
3. Scott Sutton

I didn't realize the college world series was in  Lincoln. All this time I thought it was in Omaha.

return2glory

My bad on the earlier post. You're right. Sean is with Eddie at OSU. Where does Scott coach?

Macgyver_Hawg

Quote from: yosemite HAM on March 08, 2005, 08:24:31 pm
1. Doc Sadler
2. Mike Anderson
3. Scott Sutton

I didn't realize the college world series was in Lincoln. All this time I thought it was in Omaha.

They're not even an hour apart.

UKhog1

does anyone really thing jfb will ball up or is this just wishful thinking?

The Master Of All

Uh, Van Horn went here.  Sure it makes sense to go after the best, but how many of the best played at Arkansas?
Without me, you people would just be confused.

UKhog1

would you agree tubby is just a little bit more toned down but still in the mold of nolan?

idochog

Pitino likes the "big stage" and he would get it at Arkansas.  We already get good exposure now but if Pitino comes we would be on ESPN all the freakin time.
I love Jesus!

UKhog1

What a yankee coaching basketball in the inbred clan capitol of the south.  wink wink before anyone gets mad the sarcasm should be screaming at you

UKhog1

agreed.  is it just the fact a baseball coach is cheaper or has jfb really lost touch with reality?

BentonvilleJeff

I don't see Pitino ever leaving Louisville. If memory serves me correctly his wife loves that area because she is a die hard for raising horses and being around the Kentucky Derby and all that goes with it. Roy Williams is at his dream job a la Houston Nutt here at Arkansas. I don't see Majerus ever coaching again. He needs to get his health right or he will end up a dead man and everyone knows it. He is in the perfect profession now which is callilng games and commenting on them. But, as Mike said you don't know if they will come until they're asked.

As for the Suttons, Scott will in my opinion be twice the coach that Sean will be. Scott is tremendously better at off the court stuff like actually talking to people. Both are probably well taught at x's and o's but Sean will rub people raw eventually with his personality unless he has done a complete 180 since the last time I talked to him. Scott on the other hand has never met a stranger.

doubleH

Not to burst any bubbles, but scott's oru team did lose to a team in oakland that was 11-14 before tonight's win. A 7th seed in the MCC conference tournament. I don't think any of you on here would be happy with that.

mikeirwin

Quote from: yosemite HAM on March 08, 2005, 08:24:31 pm
I didn't realize the college world series was in Lincoln. All this time I thought it was in Omaha.
Talking to the local TV guys at the CWS last year I learned that Van Horn had an unusual situation while at Nebraska. He was more popular in Omaha than he was in Lincoln. Apparently he loved it and spent a lot of time there. The team would even come up to Omaha and workout some. That's one of the main reasons the locals were so stunned when he left. He was a hero in the state's biggest city. One of the CWS people told me that Van Horn had it made there. "Hog Baseball's not a big deal in Little Rock, is it," he asked. It made me realize just how much Van Horn gave up and what a risk he took coming back to Arkansas. Even with all the stuff Frank gave him there was no guarantee that he'd succeed. The guy has a lot of confidence in himself.

Sanctified Swine

not giving up on Stan yet - 6 conference wins are better than 4 - as long as we keep moving forward with more wins than the year before -- but once we slip on that -- I'm done.

that said - I like Billy Gillespie at Texas A&M and Utep before that. Could youever get Mark Few away from the ZAGS? -- He does a fantastic job. Rick Majerus would be a great hire as well.

But knowing Frank -- he would probably go get Houston's younger brother from Texas St. nepotism at its finest!

doubleH

He took a risk of not being popular in Little Rock? Whoa, what a big risk.  I bet that would be on everyone's mind when they take a baseball job at arkansas. I mean Hog baseball not being popular in Little Rock would be devistating. Van Horn could care less about LR, how many times do you think he has been to LR since taking the job, very few would be my guess.  I would say he is just as popular in the Northwest corner of the state as he was in Omaha after the turn out we had for the super regional last year. And I know plenty of people were talking hog baseball in the central part of the state last year also.

UKhog1

CycloneHog

Irwin makes some good points.  But can Frank pony up all those "extra" incentives for basketball like he did for Van Horn and the baseball program.

Remember we have to have a search committee to find a basketball coach where as I don't remember the search committee ever being mentioned in finding a baseball coach.

The Master Of All

Morons, we got lucky that Van Horn happened to be the best young baseball coach in the country and a former second baseman at the University.

There are no great young basketball coaches that played point guard here. 

The two situations are apples and oranges.
Without me, you people would just be confused.

mikeirwin

Quote from: The Master Of All on March 09, 2005, 12:28:42 am
Morons, we got lucky that Van Horn happened to be the best young baseball coach in the country and a former second baseman at the University.

There are no great young basketball coaches that played point guard here.

The two situations are apples and oranges.
Yea, we're all morons while you have it figured out. I'm glad you are so smart. Somebody once said, "a little knowledge is a dangerous thing."
Van Horn did not come back simply because of his ties to Arkansas. If you believe otherwise, go ask him. Frank had to make some MAJOR concessions to get him. Look around, 250 K per year is top dollar for a baseball coach. The upkeep alone for the grounds crew at Baum is something Broyles would not have even considered a few years ago. Paying out the butt is really not Frank's style. He likes to hire coaches cheap, work their butts off and fire them when he senses they're over the hill. However with Van Horn and when Nolan was fired I saw a change in Frank. Remember that he was willing to pay big bucks to get Bill Self. The lawyers advised him that paying more than Nolan was getting for a White coach would increase Nolan's chances of winning his promised lawsuit.
I think the committe's days are over. I could be wrong about that but my guess is even if there is a committee involved in the hiring of the next football or basketball coach Frank will run the show unlike the last two times out.

V B Porkers

return2glory

I'm not positive about this, but I was under the impression that Sean handled the recruiting of Gerald Green, who was at one time the #1 recruit in the senior class. Sounds like you might know them personally, which I don't so you probably have a better read on them than I do, but I just thought I would throw this out there.

HogInMemphis

I would love to hire Scott Sutton as Arkansas basketball coach if Stan Heath doesn't workout,  he has done a great job building the Oral Roberts program the last 4 years and tonight they have a great chance to lock up a ncaa bid by winning the mid continent conference for the firstime in awhile for their program. If you watch his team tonight, they play team ball and they are very disciplined which equals success. I would be so pleased if they hired Sutton and I think he could have Arkansas back as a perennial power really quick.  Thoughts anyone?

Thoughts? Yeah, I have one on this:  OR got beat by a 12-18 team in the finals. So this 12-18 team is going to the NCAAT. A place the Hogs haven't been in 4 y3ars.

artyhog

Has Hean every coached at a mojor university or in a top 10 conference.  I do not see any difference in getting him than getting Stan.  A young up and coming coach.  No big time experience.  Did well at a mid-major or lesser school. 

Tell me what is the difference?

Stan needs to stay.

Amityvillehogger

If we are going to go the route of getting a new coach, we need to get one who has proven himself.  Not another project, or another up and coming.  Let's go after the best avaliable....(ex. Van Horn) We are not at the state in the program where we can hire another coach who takes 6 or 7 years to get his crap in order.  We either wait and let stan have a chance, or we go and get the best out there.  IMO, and only my opinion.  GO HOGS!
Member # 2987.
Registered - 02-23-2005

mikeirwin

Quote from: Amityvillehogger on March 09, 2005, 09:06:42 am
If we are going to go the route of getting a new coach, we need to get one who has proven himself. Not another project, or another up and coming. Let's go after the best avaliable....(ex. Van Horn) We are not at the state in the program where we can hire another coach who takes 6 or 7 years to get his crap in order. We either wait and let stan have a chance, or we go and get the best out there. IMO, and only my opinion. GO HOGS!
I obviously agree with you. Until recently this strategy was not possible. Frank had limits on what he could spend. How many of you remember what the overall facilities were like back in the 70's ?
Wal Mart, Tyson, Lindsey Inc; they've helped to change that.
My point is, if Frank had 110 million to renovate RRS, 10 or 15 million to pour into Baum Stadium, 35 million for Bud Walton, he can surely can cough up enough to pay top dollar for a basketball and football coach.
The old days of taking the cheapskate approach should be over.

Genuswine

Bo Ryan, U of Wisconsin is one of the three best coaches in the country.

mikeirwin

Quote from: doubleH on March 08, 2005, 10:30:50 pm
He took a risk of not being popular in Little Rock? Whoa, what a big risk. I bet that would be on everyone's mind when they take a baseball job at arkansas. I mean Hog baseball not being popular in Little Rock would be devistating. Van Horn could care less about LR, how many times do you think he has been to LR since taking the job, very few would be my guess. I would say he is just as popular in the Northwest corner of the state as he was in Omaha after the turn out we had for the super regional last year. And I know plenty of people were talking hog baseball in the central part of the state last year also.
It's got nothing to do with LR vs NWA or what Van Horn thinks about LR. He had something at Nebraska that most college baseball coaches would never dream of, a power base in the biggest city in the state. Omaha is the Mecca of college baseball. The people there loved him. He had the ear of a lot of powerful people in that city. That's a lot to give up.

The Rub

I propose we go after John Cheney....
You need to find a girlfriend whose name does not end in jpg.

HogInMemphis

Quote from: mikeirwin on March 09, 2005, 09:44:24 am
If we are going to go the route of getting a new coach, we need to get one who has proven himself. Not another project, or another up and coming. Let's go after the best avaliable....(ex. Van Horn) We are not at the state in the program where we can hire another coach who takes 6 or 7 years to get his crap in order. We either wait and let stan have a chance, or we go and get the best out there. IMO, and only my opinion. GO HOGS!
I obviously agree with you. Until recently this strategy was not possible. Frank had limits on what he could spend. How many of you remember what the overall facilities were like back in the 70's ?
My point is, if Frank had 110 million to renovate RRS, 10 or 15 million to pour into Baum Stadium, 35 million for Bud Walton, he can surely can cough up enough to pay top dollar for a basketball and football coach.

I made this point on Woopig about 3 years ago - when Nolan was about to be fired, as I had been predicting would happen all that year. Yet JFB decided to hire a young guy with very limited experience to run a program that had been at the tip top of college basketball for most of the past 10 years. I didn't understand it then, but what do I know? I mean, JFB is all-knowing when it comes to hiring coaches, isn't he?

It doesn't make any sense at all to spend the amounts of money that have been spent on RRS and BWA and other related facilities (indoor practice field, weight room, etc.) and then hire guys like Nutt and Heath. Makes no sense at all. Did Louisville go hire a Heath? No, they got Pitino when Crum was fired. Did NC hire a Heath when Smith retired? Nope. So why did JFB think he was smart when he hired Heath? It wasn't smart. To be blunt, it was stupid.

doubleH

Quote from: mikeirwin on March 09, 2005, 09:54:44 am
Quote from: doubleH on March 08, 2005, 10:30:50 pm
He took a risk of not being popular in Little Rock? Whoa, what a big risk. I bet that would be on everyone's mind when they take a baseball job at arkansas. I mean Hog baseball not being popular in Little Rock would be devistating. Van Horn could care less about LR, how many times do you think he has been to LR since taking the job, very few would be my guess. I would say he is just as popular in the Northwest corner of the state as he was in Omaha after the turn out we had for the super regional last year. And I know plenty of people were talking hog baseball in the central part of the state last year also.
It's got nothing to do with LR vs NWA or what Van Horn thinks about LR. He had something at Nebraska that most college baseball coaches would never dream of, a power base in the biggest city in the state. Omaha is the Mecca of college baseball. The people there loved him. He had the ear of a lot of powerful people in that city. That's a lot to give up.

ok, so now he has a power base in one of the richest regions in the U.S. and one of the fastest growing regions in the U.S.  What exactly is there in Omaha besides the college world series? exactly not much. Omaha Steaks? I don't know. I just don't see with having a power base in the largest city of the state has to do with anything. Omaha may be the mecca of college baseball, but college baseball is only there for 2 weeks out of the season and what does it matter if your in good with the people there. You still have to win to get there. Maybe a inside track with a coaching position with the Omaha Royals. I doubt Skip Bertman cared much about being in good with people in New Orleans or Omaha wihen he was pumping out CWS titles.

Jim Harris

Quote from: HogInMemphis on March 09, 2005, 10:48:37 am

I made this point on Woopig about 3 years ago - when Nolan was about to be fired, as I had been predicting would happen all that year. Yet JFB decided to hire a young guy with very limited experience to run a program that had been at the tip top of college basketball for most of the past 10 years. I didn't understand it then, but what do I know? I mean, JFB is all-knowing when it comes to hiring coaches, isn't he?

It doesn't make any sense at all to spend the amounts of money that have been spent on RRS and BWA and other related facilities (indoor practice field, weight room, etc.) and then hire guys like Nutt and Heath. Makes no sense at all. Did Louisville go hire a Heath? No, they got Pitino when Crum was fired. Did NC hire a Heath when Smith retired? Nope. So why did JFB think he was smart when he hired Heath? It wasn't smart. To be blunt, it was stupid.

Irwin proposes that JFB didn't hire him, that the committee chose Heath. Is this incorrect?
"We've been trying to build a program on a 7-8 win per season business model .... We upgraded the Business Model." -- John Tyson

Patch

Did NC hire a Heath when Smith retired? Nope. So why did JFB think he was smart when he hired Heath? It wasn't smart. To be blunt, it was stupid.

I agree with the rest of your post, but UNC didn't go get Roy Williams as soon as Smith retired. They struggled for 2 or 3 years under the young up and comer Doughtery.

bknight33

Well somebody needs to tell mike that the AD is responsible for the coaches he brings in, just like the coaches are responsible for the recruits, winning and losing etc.....A good point has been made about how are facilities are top notch, and are coaches are/were inexperienced.  Who is responsible Mike?  Should we fire the committee.

DirkPiggler

Quote from: Patch on March 09, 2005, 11:08:59 am
Did NC hire a Heath when Smith retired? Nope. So why did JFB think he was smart when he hired Heath? It wasn't smart. To be blunt, it was stupid.

I agree with the rest of your post, but UNC didn't go get Roy Williams as soon as Smith retired. They struggled for 2 or 3 years under the young up and comer Doughtery.

And for a couple of years before that under UNC's version of Mike Anderson, 137 year old Bill Guthridge.  NC's not a good example of doing it right the first time.
"They've forced my hand on that one."  -  Houston Nutt, November 2005 regarding his future hiring of Gus Mal-a-zahn

HogInMemphis

Quote from: drakehog on March 09, 2005, 11:04:56 am

Irwin proposes that JFB didn't hire him, that the committee chose Heath. Is this incorrect?
I am assuming the athletic director made the hire or had the most say so. I am not remembering a "committee" when Heath was hired like there was when Nutt was hired. Either way, unless Irwin was in the meetings, he doesn't know for certain either.

And if the athletic director, especially one of JFB's tenure and stature, is not making the calls on hires and university lawyers are, then things are much more f**ked up at U of A that any of us can even imagine.