Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

It was great timing on Heath's dismissal

Started by Corkscrew Dangler, July 15, 2007, 11:06:19 am

Previous topic - Next topic

Corkscrew Dangler

We caught significant criticism this past spring with our firing of Stan Heath.  The national media proclaimed us unrealistic, ungrateful, and unwise to dismiss a coach who had led us to back-to-back 20 win seasons and NCAA appearances.  They pointed out that we had an 'inexperienced' team this year and would only improve with our senior-laden squad next year.  They said it was unfair to fire a coach who had rebuilt a team from ashes right before his crown jewel season that had been 5 years in the making.  And they were wrong.

It was a great fire and here is why:

1.  Stan Heath isn't a good coach.  This has nothing to do with his character.  He is a great guy.  But he is not a good coach.  Maybe it was a poor hire because of his inexperience, and maybe he will develop into a good coach one day.  But not now.  His inabilities were apparent every time we played a well-coached team...we were dominated physically and fundamentally, and it was embarrasing.  The late game collapses, the questionable strategies (fresh legs), the number of games we came out "flat", Dontell Jefferson, the fact that we had to hire a coach versed in the motion offense to finally implement an offensive scheme (how does a head coach of a major college program NOT have an offensive philosophy that he brings with him??)...it was apparent that Coach Heath was in over his head.

2.  Stan Heath stepped into a bad situation.  Love him or hate him, Nolan had the most exciting brand of college basketball in the history of the game.  Period.  In a 1999 SI article about why college basketball was better than professional basketball, the #3 reason was "40 Minutes of H*ll".  Stan was like Ron Zook trying to replace Steve Spurrier...his style was never going to be accepted by the fan base. 

3.  Average recruiting.  Olu fizzled, Jefferson never came, Pat Beverly was a diamond in the rough.  We were close on Daniel Gibson, Thad Young, Horton.  They didn't come.  The McGowan-McCurty class was a failure, and the incoming freshman class was looking average at best.  We were putting a lot of eggs in the Willie Warren basket.   Heath had lost his recruiting momentum, and that's hard to get back. 

4.  20 win seasons are overrated when you get 11-13 wins over lightweight non-conference opponents.  Just go MMQB and look at what they are saying about Houston's projected 8-10 win season for 2007.

And finally, the point of this post...why it was a good fire.  We will have a great 2007-08 season, and Heath should get full credit for that.  But after this year, we were going to be bad, for a while.  We were going to lose too many players, with not a lot of talent coming in.  That's a lot of pressure on Beverly and Washington.  Without a formidable frontcourt supporting a defense & rebounding based strategy, we would not make the tourney in 08-09, and we would be average in 2009-10 (assuming Beverly would stay).  But that is THREE more years of mediocrity under Heath, who would have earned himself at least 2 bad seasons due to the upcoming 2007-08 success and the fact we made the tourney 3 years in a row. 

Now Pelphrey may or may not be the Man.  He will have 4 years to prove himself.  But I would rather take a gamble on 4 years of a coach who MAY be successful, then waste 3 more years on a coach that I KNOW will NOT be successful. 

hview

I agree in part to what you've stated. I wouldn't say Heath is not a good coach. I think the timing of his hire at Arkansas reflected poor judgement on the part of those doing the hiring. When he was hired he didn't have a clue what it took to win in the SEC, and I felt at times, as a coach, he loss control of the games.  In time he will be a good coach.

Granted he recruited the players currently on campus, but if we have a great year he should should not get full credit for the 2007-08 season. They wouldn't necessarily have performed as well with him as head coach. 

HawgG

If anybody wanted to see the ultimate waste of time and space then the thread is an example.

My GOD I know we are the only SEC team that is void of basketball news during the summer(which is sad), but to bring up an old, very old, very very old topic/debate is truly sad.

There is plenty of good Arkansas FB news to talk about.

NFL Preseason FB is close to kicking off(YESSSSS!!!!)

MLB is hot and heavy.Trade deadline approaches.

The ESPYS are tonight.

The WNBA All-Star game is currently on.

There was David Beckum's press conference a couple of days ago.

Phil Mickelson finished 2nd again.

The Tour De France is going on.

The US Open(Tennis) is right around the corner.

See there are plenty of good sporting topics to bring up. :)

Hollywood_HOGan45

Quote from: HawgG on July 15, 2007, 03:15:07 pm
If anybody wanted to see the ultimate waste of time and space then the thread is an example.

My GOD I know we are the only SEC team that is void of basketball news during the summer(which is sad), but to bring up an old, very old, very very old topic/debate is truly sad.

The ESPYS are tonight.

brings up very very good points.

Maybe there are some like me who are addicted to baskeball discussions

This news isnt exactly ancient either.

Smithian

I am watching The Godfather. For some reason, it makes me wish to have Calipari. Don Corleone makes me think of Calipari. Would have been awesome to Calipari, even though I like Pelphrey.

"Calipari, Willie Warren is on line 1, he's ready to comm-..."

"Tell him it is too late. His scholly was already given to Greg Monroe."

coach, my back hurts

I do agree that this thread is either 3 months too late........or too early depending on how you look at it, but it was worth reading.  Corkscrew made some very good points and i agree COMPLETELY with his last line....

"I would rather take a gamble on 4 years of a coach who MAY be successful, then waste 3 more years on a coach that I KNOW will NOT be successful."

ColumbianHog

The ESPYS are tonight.

Ummm...yeah... but this is the basketball forum. 

Kilgor

Quoteauthor=ColumbianHog
Ummm...yeah... but this is the basketball forum. 

Exactly.

---------------------------------------------------------

Good points Corkscrew.  I agree wholeheartedly.
Northwest Arkansas gardening and critter raising:

http://www.backyardfreshfoods.com/

VoR

The ESPYS are tonight.

Did I miss something here? I thought this was the Hogville.net > Razorback Discussion > Jump Ball Forum.

I gave up following professional sports after the 91 strike in baseball and after the NFL let Bidwell move the Cardinals, and Modell move the Browns.

The Espys I couldn't care less about, and if you hadn't mentioned it, I would not have known, or cared for that matter.

From there on you lead to unconscious to comatose.

This is a Razorback basketball discussion page, if I wanted to hear or read about 1 of the aforementioned events, I would have went to the appropriate discussion board.

Corkscrew may be beating a long dead horse, but at least he's doing it in the correct forum.
From BC comic.
Fat Broad "What is the most flagrant oxymoron you've ever heard?"
Blond Chick "Politically correct".

You cannot brag about being selfless if you're doing it only to impress someone.

RedSatinHog

Quote from: Hollywood_HOGan45 on July 15, 2007, 06:18:24 pm

The ESPYS are tonight.

brings up very very good points.

Maybe there are some like me who are addicted to baskeball discussions

This news isnt exactly ancient either.

I don't think this is a dead horse, either Hogan. 

I would have preferred Heath having the gumption to see the writing on the wall and accept a job elsewhere versus just getting fired.  Tubby Smith was man enough to do it at Kentucky, and Heath should have been able to see that things were not going to work themselves out at Arkansas.  It was as plain as the empty seats all over Bud Walton Arena.

As for the empty seats, it's a crying shame that Razorback fans are too hardheaded to realize that bringing about change at another position elsewhere in our athletic program could be brought about so easily.
Pts/Game: 122nd
Rebounds/Game: 208th
Assists/Game:  240th
FG%:  173rd

Corkscrew Dangler

The ESPYS are tonight.

sorry, i love college basketball.  and since i dont really care about the WNBA all-star game, i thought i might drum up some debate on a forum that hasn't had a lot of action lately and usually refrains from the words h**ston n*tt. 

anyway, things were very emotional during the SEC tournament, March Madness, and the aftermath of the firing.  i was caught up in the excitement just like everyone else, and despite realizing Heath needed to be fired about 2 years ago, i was willing to trade in another year with the man for a run through the SEC tourney and a NCAA tourney birth.  then we lost the SEC's but landed a birth anyway.  and after watching us get absolutely dissected against USC, reality returned and i was afraid we had sacrificed our future for a little joy in the present (just like my trip to tijuana).

so im glad, for once, our administration stepped up and did what was right for the program, regardless of how it was perceived by the national media and all other people who didn't have a true understanding of our situation.

little pigee

Good post, Corkscrew.  It should be an exciting season.  And how about Beverly showing off for us?  Awesome!
It's not about the money...it's about the amount of money.

HawgG

Wow I didn't know that there was so many fortune tellers on Hogville.

Maybe there should be another forum just for those that forsee the future.

Maybe I should back off because I would hate for one of you guys to tell me my future because, I would rather not know.

Anyways I deal in facts, recruiting,  and lean toward experts opinions when it comes to college sports.

Having said that look back at all, and I mean all the preseason picks for the 2006-2007 Arkansas Razorbacks basketball team, and if any of you can find one expert(No Homers) that predicted a NCAAT berth then I would suspend myself from Hogville.

HawgAdvocate

Quote from: HawgG on July 16, 2007, 03:52:50 pm
Anyways I deal in facts, recruiting,  and lean toward experts opinions when it comes to college sports.

So you deal with facts and expert opinions. Sounds like everyone else who reads and posts.

Lighten up.

"The supreme benevolent force of Hogville, who is impervious to pervasive form of confirmation bias, which is inherent to ALL human beings" - intelligence 4/4/16
I used to argue with HA about how Pel ran the basketball team.  I've since learned to like and respect him.  In fact, I'd go as far to say that HA is well connected or extremely perceptive. - Porkatarian, 11/7/12

Hollywood_HOGan45

Maybe I should back off because I would hate for one of you guys to tell me my future because, I would rather not know.

Having said that look back at all, and I mean all the preseason picks for the 2006-2007 Arkansas Razorbacks basketball team, and if any of you can find one expert(No Homers) that predicted a NCAAT berth then I would suspend myself from Hogville.

You deal with facts? And you're not a fortune teller?
I could have sworn you have been harping for about 4 months on how we would have had the greatest recruiting class in the history of the world if we would have kept Heath.

Face it, Heath was a good man but it clearly was not going well here for coach Heath. We were losing to teams we should have beaten into oblivion.

We were underacheiving each and every single year. And who cares what the experts were saying? That team came out and showed it had some very very good talent for a few games and then just disappear in other games. I got very sick and tired of hearing the team say "they just wanted it more".

As Frank Broyles said: "we are not satisfied with just getting to the tournament."

Now if Frank would have used that philosophy with another coach, we'd be in business.

Kilgor

Quote from: Hollywood_HOGan45 on July 16, 2007, 06:51:02 pm

You deal with facts? And you're not a fortune teller?
I could have sworn you have been harping for about 4 months on how we would have had the greatest recruiting class in the history of the world if we would have kept Heath.

You beat me to it.
Northwest Arkansas gardening and critter raising:

http://www.backyardfreshfoods.com/

RedSatinHog

July 17, 2007, 04:03:07 am #16 Last Edit: July 17, 2007, 04:21:52 am by AKHogsHoopsFan

HG,

Don't let the doorknob hit you where the Lord split you:

http://www.collegehoopsnet.com/preview/2006/43.htm

For the rest of you guys who may not want to go to the trouble of looking up yourselves, here is what the text of the preseason predictions on the 2006-07 Hoop Hawgs says:

September 27th, 2006

By Joel Welser

Arkansas Razorbacks

Overall Rank: #43

Conference Rank: #6 SEC

2005-06: 22-10, 10-6, 2nd (t) West

2005-06 postseason: NCAA

After continually underachieving, Coach Stan Heath and his Arkansas squad finally made it to the NCAA Tournament last year.  Despite the mass exodus from the backcourt, the Razorbacks have the talent to make a return trip.  Yet, Arkansas will have to depend on newcomers to fill most of the minutes on the perimeter and that is always a scary proposition.

Who's Out: Ronnie Brewer, Jonathan Modica and Dontell Jefferson started most of the games on the perimeter last year, and when Jefferson wasn't starting, fellow departing senior Eric Ferguson was.  Brewer, who left early for the NBA, averaged 18.4 points, 3.2 assists, 4.8 rebounds and 2.6 steals.  Modica tacked on 16.0 points and 4.0 rebounds, but was a liability on defense.  Jefferson wasn't a dynamic scorer, but developed into a solid point guard who kept the offense under control.

Who's In: Gary Ervin will help ease the pain of all those departures.  The 5-11 point guard averaged 7.4 points and 4.7 assists for Mississippi State two years ago and Coach Heath expects the junior speedster to push the ball up the floor better than anybody could last year.  Patrick Beverley and Sonny Weems are the other two newcomers that should see quality minutes.  Beverley, a 6-1 shooting guard, can fill up the scoring column in multiple ways.  Weems, a junior college transfer, has a great all-around game.  The 6-6 wing can put up ten points a game, grab a few rebounds and play good defense this year.  Shooting guard Stefan Welsh has been overlooked due to the more highly touted incoming guards, but he could play a big role for Arkansas, especially if Coach Heath wants to continue the three guard lineup.  With a little more strength, 6-10 power forward Michael Washington could develop into a premier post player in the SEC.  He's a great athlete and has the potential to contribute off the bench as a freshman.

Who to Watch: Charles Thomas, Darian Townes, Steven Hill and Vincent Hunter are all experienced frontcourt players.  Thomas is a hardworking 6-8 forward and Townes has steadily improved over his first two seasons in Fayetteville.  Townes is a solid post scorer, led the team in rebounding last year and, along with Hill, provides a great defensive presence under the basket.  Hill needs to improve his shooting and rebounding in order to become the all-conference type of player his high expectations warranted coming into the program.  But the 7-0 center is too talented in the shot blocking department to keep on the bench.  Hunter has battled injuries much of his career, but, if he can stay healthy, there won't be a drop off in talent when the 6-10 junior gives the starters a rest.

Final Projection: Sophomore Sean McCurdy has the most returning experience of anybody in the Arkansas backcourt, despite averaging just 7.7 minutes per game as a freshman.  He's a solid floor leader with a nice shot from long range, but the newcomers may prevent McCurdy from being anything else but a roleplayer.  Ervin, Beverley and Weems won't be able to spend time adjusting to life at Arkansas.  They will all be asked to contribute immediately.  That's not a problem for Ervin, but the level of competition will be greatly increased for Beverley and Weems.  If it takes too long for them to come around, the Razorback perimeter will struggle.  If they are playing like veterans by March, this will be an NCAA team the opposition won't want to see in their bracket.

Projected Post-season Tournament: NCAA

Projected Starting Five:

Gary Ervin, Junior, Guard, DNP last season

Patrick Beverley, Freshman, Guard, DNP last season

Charles Thomas, Junior, Forward, 9.7 points per game

Darian Townes, Junior, Forward, 9.5 points per game

Steven Hill, Junior, Center, 3.0 points per game

Corkscrew Dangler

I think more people expected the Hogs to be in the tourney this year than HawgG suggests.  I never bought the "inexperienced" label this team was given.  Our floor general, Gary Ervin, was starting his FOURTH year at a major college university.  Coaches recruit JUCO for experience, and Sonny Weems was the #1 JUCO player in the nation.  We had one of the deepest frontcourts in the country.  The only position with inexperience was the 2, and what team doesn't have at least one newcomer on the court??  Stan Heath just didn't get enough out of these players.  Speaking of, quote from the Dem-Gaz this morning...this gets me PUMPED...

"Those are choices," Pelphrey said. "Those aren't what you'd call talent issues in terms of, 'Can I run faster ? Can I jump higher ?' All that stuff is important, and X's and O's are important, but just as important is the decision that I'm going to go as hard as I possibly can on every single play and I'm going to serve my teammates to the very best of my ability even if I have to do less so that he can do more."

HawgG

Quote from: AKHogsHoopsFan on July 17, 2007, 04:03:07 am

HG,

Wait a minute, while I laugh,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,OK, OK,wait a minute still laughing.

Now I ask you for 1 college basketball expert and you give me a Blogger.

Hell I blog son.

Joel Welser angers fans more then anything else because of his so called inherited instints, but he admits that he let down many people and swears to makeup for it.

You see I know all about the guy because he is a blogger, like me in a way.We say what is on our mind.

Now Welser could be considered an expert in basketball for collegehoopsnet in due time, but right now he is not.

Now I already listed months ago on Hogville what Real collegebasketball experts thought of the 2006-2007 basketball Razorbacks.

An expert is a person that is known to be good at what he does by everyone.One of the best.

HawgG

Quote from: Corkscrew Dangler on July 17, 2007, 09:08:57 am
I think more people expected the Hogs to be in the tourney this year than HawgG suggests.  I never bought the "inexperienced" label this team was given.  Our floor general, Gary Ervin, was starting his FOURTH year at a major college university.  Coaches recruit JUCO for experience, and Sonny Weems was the #1 JUCO player in the nation.  We had one of the deepest frontcourts in the country.  The only position with inexperience was the 2, and what team doesn't have at least one newcomer on the court??  Stan Heath just didn't get enough out of these players. 

Look Corkscrew I didn't mean to come across as trying to change your opinion of Coach Heath.

My point from the beginning was what is the point of writing what you said many months after the man has gone.

Coach Pelphrey is the HC of the Razorbacks now and Coach Heath has his hands full trying to awaken USF basketball.

IMO your time and efforts could have been put to better use on the current coach and not someone long gone.

Now you and a lot of people strongly believe that Pelphrey will win BIG coaching the Razorbacks which is fine.

As I said before I use facts, recruiting, and some expert opinion to make a judgement about college sports.

Here is my early analyst on Coach Pelphrey,,,He is the most furtunate coach in many years to be given a job that is set up to win 25+ games in his first season.

The non-conference schedule is weak with both Texas and Missouri rebuilding.

Most of the SEC is in the same boat, with only Tennessee and MSU being better teams on paper then Arkansas.Neither of those 3 teams has to replace much or if any loss of production from last season.In fact all three have improved with additions and more experience coming back.

Kentucky is still a mystery to me, but they could be a good team this upcoming season.

As for recruiting once again good furtune fell into Coach Pelphrey's lap as Michael Sanchez became healthy at the right time and decided to sign as a 2007 recruit instead of 2008.I give a big thank you to Billy Gilispie for helping Michael decide to play a year earlier then expected.

As for the 2008 recruiting, I have yet to decide how successful or lack there of this coaching staff is having.We will all know soon enough.

Bottomline for me is if this coaching staff can recruit well then they will be successful, but any failures during the summer will result in failures on the court during the winter.

Biggus Piggus

[CENSORED]!

Hollywood_HOGan45

Quote from: HawgG on July 17, 2007, 11:54:15 am
Quote from: Corkscrew Dangler on July 17, 2007, 09:08:57 am
I think more people expected the Hogs to be in the tourney this year than HawgG suggests.  I never bought the "inexperienced" label this team was given.  Our floor general, Gary Ervin, was starting his FOURTH year at a major college university.  Coaches recruit JUCO for experience, and Sonny Weems was the #1 JUCO player in the nation.  We had one of the deepest frontcourts in the country.  The only position with inexperience was the 2, and what team doesn't have at least one newcomer on the court??  Stan Heath just didn't get enough out of these players. 

As I said before I use facts

The non-conference schedule is weak with both Texas and Missouri rebuilding.

We dont play Texas until the next season.
We have OKlahoma, Missouri, Baylor, ORU, Tulsa, and that tournament. Not a big time NC schedule but still challenging.

You claim you use facts but you keep on saying we would  have had the best recruiting class in the history of college basketball had we kept Heath. That is not fact, thats an opinion.

HawgG

Quote from: Hollywood_HOGan45 link=topic=143395.msg2254999#msg2254999
You claim you use facts but you keep on saying we would  have had the best recruiting class in the history of college basketball had we kept Heath. That is not fact, thats an opinion.

Would and Could have 2 different meanings.

I also mention the entire staff and not just the Head Coach.

I don't recall saying anything about the best in the history of basketball.If I did then I stand corrected.

I am not perfect nor claim to be Hollywood, if I'm proven wrong then you can find plenty of my post giving someone credit for making a better point then me, hell I know on at least one occasion in our many many discussions you have made a better point then me and I gave you props for it.

Having said that, lot of times not all the time I use the facts I have gathered to form my own opinion which I pointed out at least twice in the tread.

Back to recruiting, I used certain facts I read and heard that Willie Warren, Rotnei Clarke, DeAndre Liggins, Storm Warren, etc had at one time GREAT intrest in Arkansas, much, much more so then they do now.

When you see me write about recruiting where do you think the info comes from most of the time?

Hollywood_HOGan45

Quote from: HawgG on July 17, 2007, 05:11:39 pm
Quote from: Hollywood_HOGan45 link=topic=143395.msg2254999#msg2254999

Would and Could have 2 different meanings.

I also mention the entire staff and not just the Head Coach.

I don't recall saying anything about the best in the history of basketball.If I did then I stand corrected.

I am not perfect nor claim to be Hollywood, if I'm proven wrong then you can find plenty of my post giving someone credit for making a better point then me, hell I know on at least one occasion in our many many discussions you have made a better point then me and I gave you props for it.

Having said that, lot of times not all the time I use the facts I have gathered to form my own opinion which I pointed out at least twice in the tread.

Back to recruiting, I used certain facts I read and heard that Willie Warren, Rotnei Clarke, DeAndre Liggins, Storm Warren, etc had at one time GREAT intrest in Arkansas, much, much more so then they do now.

When you see me write about recruiting where do you think the info comes from most of the time?

having great interest and definitly coming are two different things

and from what Ive read/heard, we will be in Clarke's final 4 or 5.

RedSatinHog

July 17, 2007, 06:16:38 pm #24 Last Edit: July 17, 2007, 06:46:06 pm by AKHogsHoopsFan
Quote from: HawgG on July 17, 2007, 11:23:00 am
Quote from: AKHogsHoopsFan on July 17, 2007, 04:03:07 am

HG,

Wait a minute, while I laugh,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,OK, OK,wait a minute still laughing.

Now I ask you for 1 college basketball expert and you give me a Blogger.

Hell I blog son.

Joel Welser angers fans more then anything else because of his so called inherited instints, but he admits that he let down many people and swears to makeup for it.

You see I know all about the guy because he is a blogger, like me in a way.We say what is on our mind.

Now Welser could be considered an expert in basketball for collegehoopsnet in due time, but right now he is not.

Now I already listed months ago on Hogville what Real collegebasketball experts thought of the 2006-2007 basketball Razorbacks.

An expert is a person that is known to be good at what he does by everyone.One of the best.

And it just so happens that Mr. Welser's predictions were a heckuva lot closer to being dead center than you're giving him credit for.

Go back and look thru numbers 1-43.  Many of those were spot on.

I know fully well what an "expert" is, and to that end, I will take the predictions printed in a publication over what you have to say any day of the week.

And I'll promise you this much.  With your ripe old age being all of 22, I'm plenty well old enough to be YOUR daddy, so knock it off with the "son" crap.

HawgG

Quote from: AKHogsHoopsFan on July 17, 2007, 06:16:38 pm
And it just so happens that Mr. Welser's predictions were a heckuva lot closer to being dead center than you're giving him credit for.

I know fully well what an "expert" is, and to that end, I will take the predictions printed in a publication over what you have to say any day of the week.

And I'll promise you this much.  With your ripe old age being all of 22, I'm plenty well old enough to be YOUR daddy, so knock it off with the "son" crap.

Sorry Dad I meant no harm or disrespect.

BTW those preseason predictions came from the the experts that I listed a while back.They included all the Big preseason mags, ESPN and FOX college basketball columnist and analyst.

Make no mistake I always hope that my team can and will be better then they actually are, but that is thinking with my heart and not necessary my mind.

IMO Stan Heath's teams didn't underachieve or over achieve.There were just what they were, nothing more or nothing less.

The 2 fair criticisms of Heath were his teams didn't achieve more then what was expected and he and his staff(Until the last one) had some critical misses on the recruiting front.

BTW Recruiting is the reason why Heath is not the HC of the Razorbacks plain and simple.

HawgG

Quote from: Hollywood_HOGan45 on July 17, 2007, 05:57:34 pm

Good response Hollywood and we will pick up this again on the recruiting forum.

As of now HawgG has to get ready to go back to work.

Keep shooting it straight Hollywood. 8)

RedSatinHog

Quote from: HawgG on July 17, 2007, 07:31:45 pm

BTW those preseason predictions came from the the experts that I listed a while back.They included all the Big preseason mags, ESPN and FOX college basketball columnist and analyst.

Make no mistake I always hope that my team can and will be better then they actually are, but that is thinking with my heart and not necessary my mind.

IMO Stan Heath's teams didn't underachieve or over achieve.There were just what they were, nothing more or nothing less.

The 2 fair criticisms of Heath were his teams didn't achieve more then what was expected and he and his staff(Until the last one) had some critical misses on the recruiting front.

BTW Recruiting is the reason why Heath is not the HC of the Razorbacks plain and simple.

No, the real reason why Stan Heath is no longer our coach was simply due to the hundreds of fans who came disguised as empty seats at BWA home games.  Between that and the hundreds more on top of that who had begun filing out with 5:00 minutes to go, it was obvious that fan apathy had set it and THAT was more than the BAC could stomach.

If the arena had sold out every time the Hogs were @ home, Heath would be headed into year 6 at the UA.  Our FB coach is still proving as much.

Hollywood_HOGan45

Quote from: HawgG on July 17, 2007, 07:38:32 pm
Quote from: Hollywood_HOGan45 on July 17, 2007, 05:57:34 pm

Good response Hollywood and we will pick up this again on the recruiting forum.

As of now HawgG has to get ready to go back to work.

Keep shooting it straight Hollywood. 8)

will do

thanks man

Hollywood_HOGan45

Quote from: AKHogsHoopsFan on July 17, 2007, 09:10:54 pm

No, the real reason why Stan Heath is no longer our coach was simply due to the hundreds of fans who came disguised as empty seats at BWA home games.  Between that and the hundreds more on top of that who had begun filing out with 5:00 minutes to go, it was obvious that fan apathy had set it and THAT was more than the BAC could stomach.

If the arena had sold out every time the Hogs were @ home, Heath would be headed into year 6 at the UA.  Our FB coach is still proving as much.

the absolutley awful gameplan against Bucknell in the most important game in five years didnt help either.

i was a huge fan of heath and have met the man a couple times. Great man and hopefully he'll be a good coach but it just was not going to work out for him here.

RedSatinHog

July 17, 2007, 10:01:24 pm #30 Last Edit: July 17, 2007, 10:03:06 pm by AKHogsHoopsFan
Quote from: Hollywood_HOGan45 on July 17, 2007, 09:46:07 pm
Quote from: AKHogsHoopsFan on July 17, 2007, 09:10:54 pm

the absolutley awful gameplan against Bucknell in the most important game in five years didnt help either.

i was a huge fan of heath and have met the man a couple times. Great man and hopefully he'll be a good coach but it just was not going to work out for him here.

Absolutely no argument there.  I liked Heath and wanted things to work out for him at the UA, but he didn't have any real, sustained big time coaching experience when he came to the Hill.  That ultimately hurt him more than anything else.

It also didn't help that he arrived on the coattails of "40 minutes of Hell."  Arkansas fans were used to an exciting, intense brand of basketball and he didn't deliver it.  People who would eagerly drive hours in ice and snow to watch the Hogs play for years prior to his arrival were suddenly absent from home games, our road attendance wasn't what it used to be, and fan apathy was apparent from it.  I really believe the apathy had begun to set in at the end of Nolan's tenure, but that's just my opinion.