Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Patrick Beverley - Recap from 19U USA vs. China last night

Started by RazorAg, July 02, 2007, 09:35:08 am

Previous topic - Next topic

RazorAg

FYI for anyone that's interested.

The game was pretty entertaining. USA ended up winning by 15-20 points. First of all, Beverley: bulked up a little. His arms have a little more size to them; he looked good. As for his play, he started and didn't play badly but also didn't play well, exactly. His defense was good and he made a few good passes, but the handful of shots he took weren't falling tonight. He played probably the most minutes of all of the players in the first half but only played about half of the second half. He'll come around, I'm sure, as this was the first game for these guys. He'll need to watch out for Stephen Curry from Davidson, though. They'll battle for that 2 guard spot. Bev played a little point b/c the team only has one true point (Johnny Flynn from Syracuse). He did okay, but still doesn't show a lot of confidence in his handle. It's evident b/c he tends to revert to driving into the lane immediately rather than keeping the ball on a string on the perimeter. Arkansas will reap some benefit from his playing some point this summer.

Other players -

Tajuan Porter (Oregon): can flat out stick it. Some of you probably took notice of his big games last year. He's only about 5'7"-5'8" but for real. He had a big game tonight. He would hold down the 2 spot if only he were bigger.

Michael Beasley (Kansas State): the #1 player in high school this year, comes as advertised. All the ability in the world but seems to have as much attitude as well. He played well in spurts, especially to start the game. I don't care for him already, though.

Stephen Curry (Davidson): impressed late in the game, showing a great shooting stroke. He's smooth and let's the game come to him.

Johnny Flynn (Syracuse): was solid at the point.

Raymar Morgan (Michigan State) showed good skills inside to medium range.

Darrell Arthur (Kansas): played a nice game. This will be his last year in college probably.

DeAndre Jordan (Texas A&M): Turgeon did a fine job hanging on to Jordan. Huge frame and very long arms. Had a sick dunk over one of the Chinese big men. He'll be a great one in time. Next year, he'll make an immediate impact and could be scary by the end of the year. His back to the basket game probably needs some help, as he's a little raw offensively, but man, his attitude is great and he's very, very active. He's like a 7'1" Patrick Beverley.

Here were your starters - Beasley (5), Arthur (4), Porter (1), Beverley (2) and Morgan (3).

Okay, for China. Yao Ming wasn't there, as I expected, even though they were advertising that he'd be playing. The top 10 draft pick, Xi Lianjian, was unimpressive in this game. However, he looks to have a nice skill-set and athleticism; I can see why he was a high draft pick. Two players kept China in the ballgame - a shooter (name escapes me and I couldn't spell it anyway) and Wang ZhiuZhiu, who played in the NBA recently (for the Mavs, I know).

If any of the bball fans have questions, post them, and I'll reply.

little pigee

It's not about the money...it's about the amount of money.

slopinhogs

win lose or tie i'll call the hogs till i die

Hog Fan from Camden

I knew Patrick made the team, and wondered how he was doing.  Thanks for the update!

Adam Stokes

July 03, 2007, 11:06:21 am #5 Last Edit: July 03, 2007, 11:09:24 am by ajs15razorman
  Here's a box score of the game.

http://usabasketball.com/men/2007/07_mu19_exhbox1.html

And the schedule for the team.

http://usabasketball.com/men_team.php?page=mu19wc_schedule

bentonhawg1

jbcarol

Good to see one of our guys get in the first shot in International Competition :)
Curated SEC Infotainment and aggregated college sports updates where it just means more on Hogville.net

King-Tusk

"You're talkin to my man all wrong.  It's the wrong tone.  Do it again and I'll stab you in the face with a soldering iron!"

* * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *

Arkansas is expected to go 3-0 in the Sun Belt this season. The Hogs had only one other spot to add a Sun Belt team, but filled that nonconference spot with Division I-AA Chattanooga for War Memorial Stadium in October.

Creamysmooth

Looks like after a mediocre showing in the first game PBev settled in and scored 13 with 4 assists on Thursday night vs Africa, and 10 points and 7 assists tonight against Puerto Rico.  The story on the above linked site says he made a 3, but the box score has him down as 0-1, so who knows.

Those numbers come with only 19 minutes played in both games, it looks like they're trying to spread the playing time around for the exhibition games.  If Bev keeps distributing like he did tonight hopefully we'll see him in more quantity in the tournament in Serbia starting the 12th. 

Hog Fan from Camden

Quote from: Creamysmooth on July 06, 2007, 11:54:11 pm
Looks like after a mediocre showing in the first game PBev settled in and scored 13 with 4 assists on Thursday night vs Africa, and 10 points and 7 assists tonight against Puerto Rico.  The story on the above linked site says he made a 3, but the box score has him down as 0-1, so who knows.

Those numbers come with only 19 minutes played in both games, it looks like they're trying to spread the playing time around for the exhibition games.  If Bev keeps distributing like he did tonight hopefully we'll see him in more quantity in the tournament in Serbia starting the 12th. 
From his assist numbers, he looks like he is playing a lot of point!  I think that will be good for him and the Hogs in the long run.

ntubjr