Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

I'm tellin ya'll it aint BCG

Started by Slackavelli, March 28, 2007, 01:33:08 am

Previous topic - Next topic

Slackavelli

Something inside my boars belly just keeps coming back to Bill Self telling Broyles back in the day this was his dream job and if their paths ever crossed he'd take the job.  He'll never be Larry Brown, Roy Williams, or Dr. Naismith in Lawrence but he'd be better than Nolan or Sutton in our eyes about 3 seconds into his introductory news conference.  He's more of a natural fit, less of a loner/vagabond, more accomplished as a coach than Gillispie and is only making 1.23 million a year and is NOT in line for a BOC meeting raise this week.  He also isn't under any scrutiny right now with this fantastic smoke screen created by us on this site, Fox, and JFB (who if he pulls this off must be given a rest of his year reprisal on Nutt- He'll be the next guys problem and we'll Have his Nutts then)!  Man, I'm talking myself into it.  It's like recruiting: do we want the guy from A&M via UTEP and High School or the guy from Kansas via (a Finals appearence)Illinios and Tulsa?  My God this is a NO_BRAINER. Please enlighten me if I suffer from Ignorance oh great Razornation! :razorback: :razorback: :razorback: :razorback: :razorback: :razorback: :razorback:

Slackavelli

He's also younger, closer to home, and less likely to EVER do the Sutton belly crawl to Kentucky on us!

501Ben

My list has always been

1.Self
2.Gillipsie
3.Floyd
4.Krueger

but I just don't see Self leaving, and now I am starting to think BG is staying as well.

RazorBassin

I'm sure it would be hard to get Floyd as well.  We may be in for a long spring.

jesterzzn

If its Self I will darn a brick, in happiness...uh...wait.

I really hope its Self, but Gillispie would be a helluva consolation.

The big question is what do we do if whoever it is says no?

Slackavelli

Walton's just gave us 300 million. We spent 10 million on a TV for god's sake!  Can we really not just go to Self and say 10 years, 2.1 million dollars.  I saw his contract earlier today and it has no escape provisions what-so-ever.

moses_007

March 28, 2007, 01:48:32 am #6 Last Edit: March 28, 2007, 02:16:34 am by moses_007
Quote from: Slackavelli on March 28, 2007, 01:33:08 am
Something inside my boars belly just keeps coming back to Bill Self telling Broyles back in the day this was his dream job and if their paths ever crossed he'd take the job.  He'll never be Larry Brown, Roy Williams, or Dr. Naismith in Lawrence but he'd be better than Nolan or Sutton in our eyes about 3 seconds into his introductory news conference.  He's more of a natural fit, less of a loner/vagabond, more accomplished as a coach than Gillispie and is only making 1.23 million a year and is NOT in line for a BOC meeting raise this week.  He also isn't under any scrutiny right now with this fantastic smoke screen created by us on this site, Fox, and JFB (who if he pulls this off must be given a rest of his year reprisal on Nutt- He'll be the next guys problem and we'll Have his Nutts then)!  Man, I'm talking myself into it.  It's like recruiting: do we want the guy from A&M via UTEP and High School or the guy from Kansas via (a Finals appearence)Illinios and Tulsa?  My God this is a NO_BRAINER. Please enlighten me if I suffer from Ignorance oh great Razornation! :razorback: :razorback: :razorback: :razorback: :razorback: :razorback: :razorback:

I have thought it was Gillispie for over a week now, but things are changing and I am beginning to think it is Self too. Self did just make it to the Elite 8 before losing whereas Gillispie lost his game in the Sweet 16.  Both are outstanding coaches and either would restore the pride and tradition of the Razorbacks that all of us yearn for so much.  I did find out proof yesterday evening that one of Arkansas' planes did indeed fly to Kansas in the last couple of days.  Perhaps it was to deliver Broyles' coaching offer to Self.  Could it be that Broyles had someone plant some bait about Gillispie around the state as a tactical diverson to anyone even dreaming it could be Self?  Broyles is a sly ole fox and this coaching hire may prove it.

hawgtahm

Self has not had a NCAA finals appearance, unless you were referring to regional finals. He's been to 3 of those, but no farther. Sorry, I'm nit-picking. His resume is still impressive, and I'd love to have him, Gillispie, or Floyd. However, if we don't land one of these "names", we must keep in mind that they too were "up and comers" at one time, just like Billy Donovan.

jesterzzn

Hey 007, what proof do you have that our plane was in Kansas?

moses_007

Quote from: hawgtahm on March 28, 2007, 01:49:00 am

Self has not had a NCAA finals appearance, unless you were referring to regional finals. He's been to 3 of those, but no farther. Sorry, I'm nit-picking. His resume is still impressive, and I'd love to have him, Gillispie, or Floyd. However, if we don't land one of these "names", we must keep in mind that they too were "up and comers" at one time, just like Billy Donovan.

You are so right.  Every single one of them were "up and comers" at one time.  They had to crawl before they could walk.

Darren DeLoach

March 28, 2007, 01:55:39 am #10 Last Edit: March 28, 2007, 01:57:12 am by semohawg
I have thought it was Gillispie for over a week now, but things are changing and I am beginning to think it is Self too.  Self did just make it to the Elite 8 before losing whereas Gillispie lost his game in the Sweet 16.  Both are outstanding coaches and either would restore the pride and tradition of the Razorbacks that all of us yearn for so much.  I did find out proof yesterday evening that one of Arkansas' planes did indeed fly to Kansas in the last couple of days.  Perhaps it was to deliver Broyles' coaching offer to Self.  Could it be that Broyles had someone plant some bait about Gillispie around the state as a tactical diverson to anyone even dreaming it could be Self?  Broyles is a sly ole fox and this coaching hire may prove it.--moses

hey mo, don't make out too much on that plane in kansas. that is very dated and it was heath and/or staff recruiting a point guard to replace mccurdy or possibly start.
ο λογος υμων παντοτε εν χαριτι αλατι ηρτυμενος ειδεναι πως δει υμας ενι εκαστω αποκρινεσθαι

Slackavelli

Didn't Illinois...oh, yeah, just his leftovers the next year. Anyway, the info on the plane is good news. And about Broyles little internet trick...I guess he's learned a little something in the past year about the power of the rumor.  What a fantastic master chess play that would be!  Even us peeping the trick and reporting it won't stop the fire one bit, either!

moses_007

Quote from: jesterzzn on March 28, 2007, 01:52:11 am

The TexAgs on their message board were saying that since we (Hogville.net) had been tracking U of A planes that they fixed it so we couldn't track them anymore.  That was true under our previous method of plane tracking and the U of A did make that private a couple of days ago.  However, an Aggie poster knew of a different tracking site and he tracked the planes with no trouble on that site.  He presented a flight plan of one of our planes going from Drake Field in Fayetteville to Hutchinson, Kansas yesterday.  I actually saw the flight plan and it looked totally legit to me.  That's the source I was talking about in the post here.

Slackavelli

hawgtahm

Quote from: moses_007 on March 28, 2007, 01:59:59 am

The TexAgs on their message board were saying that since we (Hogville.net) had been tracking U of A planes that they fixed it so we couldn't track them anymore.  That was true under our previous method of plane tracking and the U of A did make that private a couple of days ago.  However, an Aggie poster knew of a different tracking site and he tracked the planes with no trouble on that site.  He presented a flight plan of one of our planes going from Drake Field in Fayetteville to Hutchinson, Kansas yesterday.  I actually saw the flight plan and it looked totally legit to me.  That's the source I was talking about in the post here.

Hutchinson is no where near Lawrence. It is right next door to Wichita, though. If that flight had anything to do with a coaching search, a better bet would be Mark Turgeon.

moses_007

March 28, 2007, 02:11:18 am #15 Last Edit: March 28, 2007, 02:20:33 am by moses_007
Things are getting more interesting than a James Bond movie.  If Self is only making $1.23 million at Kansas and Arkansas has always been his "dream job," I would think he would jump on Broyles' offer of $1.5 million a year or thereabouts.  Gillispie, on the other hand, likely will be making $1.7 to $1.8 million if the A&M Board of Regents approve his big raise, which I am sure they will.  That means it would take a minimum of $2 million a year folks to lure Gillispie to Arkansas.

Which would be the better deal...Self at $1.5 million or Gillispie at $2 million or more.  I am now beginning to think Broyles would go with Self.  He would be the best coach they could find for the money.

:razorback: :razorback: :razorback: :razorback:

Hog in MO

Quote from: moses_007 on March 28, 2007, 01:59:59 am

Hutchinson, KS was the site of the national junior college basketball championship.  Heath (and coaches from all over the country) took several flights to Hutchinson, KS for scouting/recruiting purposes the week before his firing.  Even if you dismiss this, why fly into Hutchinson, KS - 186 miles from Lawrence???  Now if you want to spin it in another direction - BCG was also in Hutchinson, KS recently.  There are far too many loose ends there to make any definite connections. 

moses_007

Hawgtahm, Broyles said he had not talked to any coach but had made the offer through "channels."  Perhaps we have a big booster in Hutchinson that personally delivered the offer to Self.

:razorback: :razorback: :razorback:

jesterzzn

Quote from: moses_007 on March 28, 2007, 02:14:59 am
Hawgtahm, Broyles said he had not talked to any coach but had made the offer through "channels."  Perhaps we have a big booster in Hutchinson that personally delivered the offer to Self.

Meh, I'll go with the far more likely "Heath was there recruiting like all the reports said he was."  I think I heard a million times last week that Heath was "on the road recruiting", and that seems to confirm it.

I would love to believe that Self is the real target, but me thinks the Kansas plane is just a wild goose.

hawgtahm

Quote from: moses_007 on March 28, 2007, 02:14:59 am
Hawgtahm, Broyles said he had not talked to any coach but had made the offer through "channels."  Perhaps we have a big booster in Hutchinson that personally delivered the offer to Self.

Since you addressed me, I feel obligated to respond.

No offense intended, but that is quite a stretch. Seriously, that is grasping.

LJHOG

"Self has not had a NCAA finals appearance, unless you were referring to regional finals. He's been to 3 of those, but no farther."

Regional finals aint too shabby.  You get down to the last eight teams and it's a crap shoot after that.  I'd take regional finals 4 - 6 times out of 10 with final four once out of every 3 - 4 times in elite eight.

Boarcephus

I have a very sneaky feeling it's going to be Self and that's fine with me.   I've heard the reason he didn't come the first tgime was he didn't want to come to a depleted team and have to rebuild from the ground up.  The team is loaded this go around and I strongly suspect he's the guy.
I need to be more like my dog...if you can't fight it, screw it, or eat it, then piss on it.

LuckyGiraffe

both of the planes are on the ground at Drake.  There is no plane in KS!!! mods can pm if they would like.

Humbleme

V

Bill Self is an arrogant condescending snob. He has made it clear earlier this week that he has no interest and is very happy at KU. KU is one of the top jos in college bball and he makes a boatload of cash and i I anot mistaken was in the elite 8 this year with a young squad. No way, never...ever

Hoghole

I understand Self's wife is from Arkansas (no, I don't have a link - if this is incorrect just shout it out). Anyone with a wife knows the decision-making process in the Self household, so anything is possible.  :razorback:

Newport Hog

Perhaps this is a front to get Dick Nutt away from Arkansas or their going after tha Doc.

blake

IMO if we are going to pay 2mill. to a coach I would prefer Self.

Hollywood_HOGan

Self is NOT leaving KU for Arkansas!

Not in one million years!
Only place Selfs leaves KU for is the NBA!

bigpigfan

Isn't self from Edmond, OK?...I think that is what I heard and Edmond is very very close to home if you live in NWA

Slackavelli

Self's here.  And Kansas is comparable to UA, hell we've won a Nat Champ since them...by 7 years.  Screw Ks, they had Self on the "hot seat",  we'll build a statue!  Also, 1.8million>1.23million.  Ah yeah, Baby!  Will make us look real good, too.

Slackavelli

Quote from: Hollywood_HOGan on March 28, 2007, 08:35:24 am

Self is NOT leaving KU for Arkansas!

Not in one million years!
Only place Selfs leaves KU for is the NBA!

pig_sooie

Quote from: bigpigfan on March 28, 2007, 08:43:20 am
Isn't self from Edmond, OK?...I think that is what I heard and Edmond is very very close to home if you live in NWA

Yeah, Self is from Edmond. He went to my high school.

Slackavelli

Houston h

I would love to see Self get the job but I can't see him leaving that ultra talented bunch of young players for a group of soon to be seniors!  We will see I guess..........

d1nonlyhogfan

It's Doc Sadler or Dickey Nutt. Frank won't reveal either because the fans would riot.
"The man who complains about the way the ball bounces is likely the one who dropped it." -- Lou Holtz

"I have yet to be in a game where luck was involved. Well-prepared players make plays. I have yet to be in a game where the most prepared team didn't win." -- Urban Meyer

Ironhawg

I realize it's only Wednesday, but I've got a bad feeling that this time next week we're going to be sitting here with our faces hanging out and a clear understanding of the feeling Bama fans had when Rich Rodriguez said thanks, but no thanks.

:puke:

Ironhawg

P.S.

If Frank names Dickey Nutt head coach I'm going downtown to the water tower and jumping off.

hogs dont cry

It's not Self people.  I know you guys love conspiracy theories and hidden truths, but sometimes things just are what they are.  Right now we are after one guy.  If things don't work out with BCG I'm sure we'll make a run at Self, but it's nothing more than a LONG SHOT.

The flight to Kansas was not yesterday, it was last week and as semohawg said Heath and co. were there for the JUCO tournament recruiting.

mayjumpoffwagon

Quote from: Slackavelli on March 28, 2007, 01:43:26 am
Walton's just gave us 300 million. We spent 10 million on a TV for god's sake!  Can we really not just go to Self and say 10 years, 2.1 million dollars.  I saw his contract earlier today and it has no escape provisions what-so-ever.

the walton's money can only be used for education purposes, not coaches salaries.

mayjumpoffwagon

Quote from: hogs dont cry on March 28, 2007, 09:32:48 am
It's not Self people.  I know you guys love conspiracy theories and hidden truths, but sometimes things just are what they are.  Right now we are after one guy.  If things don't work out with BCG I'm sure we'll make a run at Self, but it's nothing more than a LONG SHOT.

The flight to Kansas was not yesterday, it was last week and as semohawg said Heath and co. were there for the JUCO tournament recruiting.

a long shot?  us getting self is about as good a chance as a blind man getting a ringer while facing in the wrong direction in horse shoes.   not going to happen.  kansas is THE dream job at the place that INVENTED basketball.  think he will leave that--just crazy.

countryboy_ar1

my nephew is a professor at Kansas,, he was here sunday and told me the talk on campus was self was very interested in the Arkansas job.

CPL HOG

BG or Self I will be happy with eather. Lets just get one of them

countryboy_ar1

i agree if we go any deeper in our list this thing could get ugly

WILL CLINTON

I'm thinking along the lines of Pat Riley or Phil Jackson.  I mean they won it all on the NBA level, but not on the NCAA level.  For guys like them, they need a new challenge, and winning it all at Arkansas would just do the trick to get their competitive juices flowing again. 
There is no sacred ground for the conquered.

hogs dont cry

Quote from: mayjumpoffwagon on March 28, 2007, 09:52:26 am
Quote from: hogs dont cry on March 28, 2007, 09:32:48 am

a long shot?  us getting self is about as good a chance as a blind man getting a ringer while facing in the wrong direction in horse shoes.   not going to happen.  kansas is THE dream job at the place that INVENTED basketball.  think he will leave that--just crazy.

You're right.  That's probably a better way to put it.  Especially if we were turned down by Gillispie first.  Guys like Self aren't plan B, that's just stupid.

boomo26

I keep hearing how TA&M would out bid us, how can that be?  We have 5 of the top ten richest people in the world in our state and throw in a John Tyson.  How can we be out bid if we really wanted a coach?  I know it is not always about money.

Boomo

CalHog

Quote from: jj1121 on March 28, 2007, 01:38:03 am
I'm sure it would be hard to get Floyd as well.  We may be in for a long spring.

Don't count Floyd out, he just might come if the offer was right.

He's a Mississippi boy.
LA is not as wonderful as most people believe.  I know, I live here.
USC basketball is not in the limelight and probably will never surpass the Lakers and UCLA.  Actually Cal State is bigger out here than USC in basketball.
You can't beat the bass fishing in Arkansas.

CalHog

Quote from: boomo26 on March 28, 2007, 10:04:49 am
I keep hearing how TA&M would out bid us, how can that be?  We have 5 of the top ten richest people in the world in our state and throw in a John Tyson.  How can we be out bid if we really wanted a coach?  I know it is not always about money.

Boomo

Yeah, you're right.  I doubt if that oil money cares anything about sports.

DadVader1

I don't have the paper with me at work but thought I read in the Sports section this morning that Self politely removed his name from consideration, saying something along the lines that he was flattered to be mentioned in connection with the Arkansas opening but was happy where he was.