Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Breaking News - Tubby's out at KY

Started by The Coletrain, March 22, 2007, 02:09:55 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

The Coletrain

Just reported in Lexington that Tubby's gone!!  Don't know if it was forced or his call, but he was due a big bonus in early April if he would have stayed.  I'm sure that had much to do with it.  So the competition for Gillespie is now officially on with both Kentucky and Iowa now on the prowl.  My hope is that Kentucky's number one target is Billy Donovan.  And they can afford to pay him. 
Razorbacks, Cardinals, and Cowboys!!  A 30+ year addiction.

alaback

seqco

Oliver

Quote from: The Coletrain on March 22, 2007, 02:09:55 pm
Just reported in Lexington that Tubby's gone!!  Don't know if it was forced or his call, but he was due a big bonus in early April if he would have stayed.  I'm sure that had much to do with it.  So the competition for Gillespie is now officially on with both Kentucky and Iowa now on the prowl.  My hope is that Kentucky's number one target is Billy Donovan.  And they can afford to pay him. 

Meanwhile, Frank Broyles just made par on hole 16.

Houston h

Again, why would Donovan leave Florida for Kentucky?  There not your dad's Kentucky, Florida is a solid national title contender every year and they have DEEP pockets.  Donovan will NOT leave UF for UK!

fu-man-soo

this sux!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

The Coletrain

Quote from: donewithdale on March 22, 2007, 02:12:37 pm
Would UK look to BG who has only a few years of head coaching experience at the D1 level and has not yet made a Final 4?  I would think that he would be on the list but a few names down.  And in Iowa's case, I think we are in better shape for him. 

I can tell you that Donovan is probably their primary target.  But I've heard rumblings that Gillespie is high on the totem pole.  And he had a great audition in last weekend's games held at Lexington. 

HogFan1973

Quote from: Oliver Miller on March 22, 2007, 02:11:48 pm

He's retired, he should be playing gold?  No....oh wait, he is still, nevermind.

bulldog04

Quote from: Houston hater on March 22, 2007, 02:13:19 pm
Again, why would Donovan leave Florida for Kentucky?  There not your dad's Kentucky, Florida is a solid national title contender every year and they have DEEP pockets.  Donovan will NOT leave UF for UK!
No more Noah, Brewer, Green, Horford, or Humphrey

musiccityhog

Billy the kid may not leave UF, but you can bet Kentucky is going to go at him hard. I believe Gillespie will be their second choice.
Your name? Fletch F. Fletch
Your Address? Seven
Your occupation? I'm a Shepherd

fu-man-soo

TX HOG

We need to get the ball rolling, fast. 

BCShogs

Quote from: The Coletrain on March 22, 2007, 02:14:18 pm
Quote from: donewithdale on March 22, 2007, 02:12:37 pm
Would UK look to BG who has only a few years of head coaching experience at the D1 level and has not yet made a Final 4?  I would think that he would be on the list but a few names down.  And in Iowa's case, I think we are in better shape for him. 

I can tell you that Donovan is probably their primary target.  But I've heard rumblings that Gillespie is high on the totem pole.  And he had a great audition in last weekend's games held at Lexington. 

Are we going to go after Tubby? I had my hopes set on Gillispie. Frank get off your a$$.

darth sooie

fu-man-soo

arkrazfan

That is the hole that he got a hole in one on the other day.

The Coletrain

If we can't get Gillespie, I'd take Tubby.  No question.  When was the last time we hired a proven coach who's been successful at this level and not a mid-major guy? 

Winner

where was this reported? 

The Coletrain

SexyBeast77

darth sooie

(WCCO) Minneapolis WCCO's Mike Max has learned that the University of Minnesota may be close to announcing a new men's basketball coach, and the newest name in the mix is Tubby Smith of Kentucky.

In a meeting Tuesday night between Smith and University of Kentucky officials, a resignation from Smith was expected. Word is that Gophers athletics director Joel Maturi was on a flight Wednesday afternoon to Lexington to meet with Smith.

bulldog04

TS has accepted Minnesota HC job.  ESPN reported it.

Houston h

Quote from: bulldog04 on March 22, 2007, 02:15:35 pm
No more Noah, Brewer, Green, Horford, or Humphrey
Check out Rivals and look at the recruiting class that has committed to UF and then look at what is coming back or comitted to UK.  Donovan isn't leaving UF.  UK may throw a bunch of money at him but UF can match anything they do.  He may win a 2nd title this year, you think UF is going to let him walk?

The Coletrain

Quote from: Winner on March 22, 2007, 02:18:50 pm

where was this reported? 

I live in Louisville.  I've got UK fans dancing all around me!!  I don't know who broke it, but my guys are telling me that Tubby's already accepted the post at Minnesota and UK's top two candidates are Tom Crean and Billy Gillespie (with Donovan the pipe dream). 

Oliver

Quote from: bulldog04 on March 22, 2007, 02:20:01 pm
TS has accepted Minnesota HC job.  ESPN reported it.

So as of this moment, Minnesota has a better basketball coach than we do.

chillinhoggie

Since 1894

The first thing I heard today was that he grew up on a pig farm. That's quite a start in my book. And my last memory was watching him hang 70 on Nebraska. Just those two facts are enough (for me to like him). Then, I hear that he's out of the Hayden Fry-Bill Snyder-Barry Alvarez coaching tree. Oh, that's enough for me to like a lot. Then, I hear he's got a 27-year-old wife. Okay, we can stop. I like him.

BARRY SWITZER- Former Arkansas Asst. Coach
Quote given to Clay Henry

As ratified by the States and authenticated by Thomas Jefferson, Secretary of State:

A well regulated militia being necessary to the security of a free state, the right of the people to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed.

rcowen

THANKS FRANK! Way to do your job...

311Hog

lol KY are fools to let tubby go. I dunno crazy times.

moses_007

Maybe Tubby will be Heath's replacement.

Go Hogs  :razorback:

Houston h

Tubby is the classic case of a guy that won big with someone elses players, look at what he has done since he had to recruit his own guys.  Much like HDN did with the guys that Ford had recruited!  Or what Heath had done at Kent St.

JBucc

Read the guidelines for signature images.

GolfHawg

Exactly....and we still wind up with Heath after all the great coachs are gone!

TX HOG

Quote from: moses_007 on March 22, 2007, 02:23:36 pm

Sounds like he's headed to Minnesota

SexyBeast77

Frank played the fiddle as Rome Burned. ERrrrrrrrr, lost millions in revenue playing golf as other schools made moves.

chillinhoggie

Quote from: moses_007 on March 22, 2007, 02:23:36 pm

too late he's gone to MN

rcowen

badIntentions

LMAO +1
I can talk better than Lou Holtz with spoonfull of peanut butter in my mouth.

rcowen

jhudson84

As of this moment Minnesota has a better coach than most in the nation.

seqco

interesting.... Tubby to Minny never thought about that one.

The_Bionic_Pig

Tubby is headed this afternoon to University of Minnesota to accept the job their.
█ ▆ ▅ ▄ ▃ ▂ ▁ *Mute*

TX HOG

Who is Minnesota's AD?  Need that guy

rcowen

I had hoped maybe we'd go after him..

jmchog

Isn't Tom Crean a has been?
What has he done since no D. Wade?

TX HOG

If we don't get movin' we're going to lose out on BG

hogsrmyfav36

How old are some of you?  Yes, Florida has been great under Donovan.  However, they aren't even close when it comes to basketball tradition/championships/history as Kentucky. 

Kentucky is a dream job for many colleges coaches. 
F&*!NG INTRANET

Catfish

A good AD would have been negotiating with Tubby all along... and we would be reading "KU's Smith headed to Arkansas" instead of Minn.