Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

I've been away all day has this info gone wild in Arkansas yet?

Started by hogfan064, March 19, 2007, 07:23:33 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

erniehog

I'd go with Gene Keady if he'd give it up and take that thing off his head.  He is a good coach with a really bad rug.  There, I said it. Now the secret is out.

rev. tim

Quote from: erniehog on March 19, 2007, 10:35:35 pm
I'd go with Gene Keady if he'd give it up and take that thing off his head.  He is a good coach with a really bad rug.  There, I said it. Now the secret is out.

That thing couldn't be more obvious if it came with a chin strap.

jamie72921

Quote from: whatsshakinbacon on March 19, 2007, 10:01:11 pm
Quote from: IndyHog45 on March 19, 2007, 10:00:24 pm
On this subject, where were most of the big name coaches before they became big name coaches?... at smaller schools.  Who would argue with Bruce Pearl's success?  No one, yet he came to Tenn. from U. of Wisconsin, Milwaukee if I'm not mistaken.  Where was Gillispie before A&M?  Self before Illinois & Kansas?  At Tulsa.     I think you have to look at their track record at what they had to work with.  You can't throw out all mid-major coaches based on one poor judgment on Heath, who hadn't coached long enough for anyone to know what he could do.  That was the problem with that hiring.  Not where he came from.  What the heck was Broyles thinking?

It was a colorful search.

Bacon out...

What if Self had said yes?

He was offered the job in full public view first and turned it down.

The Self offer, doesn't support the black helicopter theory that we had to hire a Black coach at the time.

Whether we made legit offer, which if I remember was more than Illinois was paying him at the time because they had to give him a raise to get him to stay, or not, he could have said yes and then what we would we have done?

Told him just kidding Bill, you're not black.

The whole "we had to hire a black coach" rumor should not even be allowed on this site. The fact that moderators are helping spread it is disconcerting to say the least.
Bless your heart

whatsshakinbacon

Quote from: jamie72921 on March 19, 2007, 10:46:25 pm
On this subject, where were most of the big name coaches before they became big name coaches?... at smaller schools.  Who would argue with Bruce Pearl's success?  No one, yet he came to Tenn. from U. of Wisconsin, Milwaukee if I'm not mistaken.  Where was Gillispie before A&M?  Self before Illinois & Kansas?  At Tulsa.     I think you have to look at their track record at what they had to work with.  You can't throw out all mid-major coaches based on one poor judgment on Heath, who hadn't coached long enough for anyone to know what he could do.  That was the problem with that hiring.  Not where he came from.  What the heck was Broyles thinking?

Bacon out...

The Self offer, doesn't support the black helicopter theory that we had to hire a Black coach at the time.

Whether we made legit offer, which if I remember was more than Illinois was paying him at the time because they had to give him a raise to get him to stay, or not, he could have said yes and then what we would we have done?

The whole "we had to hire a black coach" rumor should not even be allowed on this site. The fact that moderators are helping spread it is disconcerting to say the least.

whatsshakinbacon's views do not represent those of the owner of this site and its affiliates. 

But if you are telling me it was Self's job to turn down you are a history revisionist.

JFB wanted Self, JW wanted Heath.  Self was given the opportunity to come interview on campus (as Heath did) yet declined.

And it is my opinion that JW was strongly interested in Heath because the threatened lawsuit by Nolan lost some merit if the next hired coach was also an African-American.  My opinion.  Just my little opinion.  I could be wrong.  My thoughts.  (that enough distance for you?)

Bacon out...

hoginsanfran

Quote from: jamie72921 on March 19, 2007, 10:46:25 pm

Bacon out...

if you think race was absent in the hiring discussions you are grossly misinformed

DeltaBoy

I am not getting too worked up until I see a offical Stan is gone presser from the UA.
If the South should lose, it means that the history of the heroic struggle will be written by the enemy, that our youth will be trained by Northern school teachers, will be impressed by all of the influences of history and education to regard our gallant dead as traitors and our maimed veterans as fit subjects for derision.
-- Major General Patrick Cleburne
The Confederacy had no better soldiers
than the Arkansans--fearless, brave, and oftentimes courageous beyond
prudence. Dickart History of Kershaws Brigade.

BCShogs

If it's Gillispie, I'm havin a party. I didn't realize he was an assistant under Self at Tulsa.

LZH

Not to change the subject, but has anyone thought about Jeff Lebo if the 'Bills' are uninterested?...just sayin'.

Of course some mid major hires work out very well. Virtually no coach starts at a high profile job, so they all had to come from some place. But hiring from a major program works out MORE often (I believe). Off the top of my head, I can think of 3 examples: UNC hired Roy Williams from Kansas (and won a NC); Maryland hired Gary Williams away from Ohio St. (and won a NC); Kansas hired Self away from Illinois (no NC, but we all agree Self is a good coach). I'm sure there are busts I haven't remembered, but some of us on the board would at least like to explore hiring a big name coach before we settle for the best mid major coach available.