Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

I've been away all day has this info gone wild in Arkansas yet?

Started by hogfan064, March 19, 2007, 07:23:33 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

hogfan064

South Carolina media today were all over Marshall to Arkansas.  I just got home about 20 minutes ago and wanted to know if this has made it to Arkansas yet.  At they gym tonight I spoke with 2 Winthrop alumni and they said they had heard Marshall is talking with Arkansas and Michigan.  Keep in mind both the Hogs and Eagles were in Spokane this weekend.   3 different local talk shows spoke about this today in Columbia, anything your way Hog fans?

hoginsanfran

Quote from: hogfan064 on March 19, 2007, 07:23:33 pm
South Carolina media today were all over Marshall to Arkansas.  I just got home about 20 minutes ago and wanted to know if this has made it to Arkansas yet.  At they gym tonight I spoke with 2 Winthrop alumni and they said they had heard Marshall is talking with Arkansas and Michigan.  Keep in mind both the Hogs and Eagles were in Spokane this weekend.   3 different local talk shows spoke about this today in Columbia, anything your way Hog fans?

More likely michigan than arkansas.

Dwight_K_Shrute

Little known fact, but prior to settling on Guantanamo, the Pentagon wanted to house terror suspects at War Memorial Stadium.  It was deemed to be cruel and unusual punishment and in violation of the Geneva Convention.

hogfan064

Quote from: hoginsanfran on March 19, 2007, 07:23:58 pm
South Carolina media today were all over Marshall to Arkansas.  I just got home about 20 minutes ago and wanted to know if this has made it to Arkansas yet.  At they gym tonight I spoke with 2 Winthrop alumni and they said they had heard Marshall is talking with Arkansas and Michigan.  Keep in mind both the Hogs and Eagles were in Spokane this weekend.   3 different local talk shows spoke about this today in Columbia, anything your way Hog fans?

One of the alumni I spoke to stated GM's wife isn't high on the move outside of the southeast

GeneKeadysRug

hoginsanfran

Quote from: hogfan064 on March 19, 2007, 07:28:47 pm
Quote from: hoginsanfran on March 19, 2007, 07:23:58 pm

One of the alumni I spoke to stated GM's wife isn't high on the move outside of the southeast

per the winthrop boards, he has been offerend 850K

no way we only pony up 850K while stan is getting what, 800?

if we're really going "UP AND COMER", we wouldnt even have to offer MORE than Stan... at least the mac is historically more 'successful' than the tiny big south.   no knock at them, just saying, we could have Marshall for 600-700K imo if we really want him

GeneKeadysRug

Dwight_K_Shrute

Quote from: GeneKeadysRug on March 19, 2007, 07:30:06 pm
Are you refering to Winthrop's coach?

I think I've just decided to throw all my support behind Gene Keady's rug.  Will be more passionate than Stan, and give better interviews.  I think the team will really rally around Gene Keady's rug.
Little known fact, but prior to settling on Guantanamo, the Pentagon wanted to house terror suspects at War Memorial Stadium.  It was deemed to be cruel and unusual punishment and in violation of the Geneva Convention.

AstroHawg

jbcarol

Curated SEC Infotainment and aggregated college sports updates where it just means more on Hogville.net

hoggytonk

Does this mean that Broyles is still making the decisions? It looks like one of his.

Fletch

I feel like $100

booogaga

GO HOGS!

M6

The 'leak' was not correct. Stan was told if he didn't make a 'RUN' in the NCAA it was over. If you saw the stunned look on the Hog players faces as they took the court and watched their play against USC it was apparent something was up. I wonder if Stan told them before the game he was gone? Never the less, he's is gone.
The coach you speak of is Gregg Marshall. He's been head coach of Winthrop for 8 years. Six trips to the NCAA. 3 Big South Conference Coach of the year. Arkansas played Winthrop in a home/home series, 2003/04. Gregg is considered by many the top Div 1 Mid-Major coach. He was .679 at winthrop after last year. His teams won the Big South Championship 4 of the last 6 years. He's spent 8 years recruiting the Carolinas, Virginia, ACC and Big East. Any school that takes him gets instant credibility and a free pass into that hallowed basketball ground. A proven head coach, with instant access to the Carolinas. For 800-900K. Don't be surprised if he interviews and is offered.

southern hawg

Just some info on Greg Marshall:  '07 USBWA Dist. III Coach of the Year; 7 Big South conference championships in 9 years; 4 time Big South coach of the year; 1st coach to lead a team undefeated in Big South regular season (14-0 in '07); Winthrop voted into Top 25 this year (first time ever for a Big South team to be nationally ranked); 18 game winning streak prior to making the tournament; career record of 193-82.  Winthrop had a great season losing only four games, I believe, in the regular season, two losses coming at the hands of Maryland and North Carolina.  However, he had a very experienced team, much like the Kent St. team that Heath carried to the Elite 8.  This is not an endorsement, just some info.

joeyself

Quote from: GeneKeadysRug on March 19, 2007, 07:33:43 pm
deja vu...isn't that how we got stuck with stan heath?

Remind me:  Where was Eddie Sutton and Nolan Richardson before they came to Arkansas?  I can't quite recall the major powerhouse schools they were with as I sit here.

JcS
"Real failure always starts with someone doing something stupid."  Anna Conroy in SLINGS AND ARROWS

jbcarol

Quote from: joeyself on March 19, 2007, 08:35:32 pm

Remind me:  Where was Eddie Sutton and Nolan Richardson before they came to Arkansas?  I can't quite recall the major powerhouse schools they were with as I sit here.

JcS

Creighton and Tulsa, respectively
Curated SEC Infotainment and aggregated college sports updates where it just means more on Hogville.net

Hawg_Heaven

Hmm...doesn't really sound like an up and comer to me. Sounds like he has made it, just at a smaller school.

JcS
I understand your point, but some of us have a bad "Kent St." taste stuck in our mouths.

Winner

I hope this is a joke. But maybe I'm thinking about our athletic administration.

jbcarol

Quote from: Karma on March 19, 2007, 08:38:27 pm

JcS
I understand your point, but some of us have a bad "Kent St." taste stuck in our mouths.

Great team in 2002.  Trevor Huffman and Co.  Took Kentucky to the wire in Cincinnati.  Can't remember the coach.  I remember that he finally relented and let the players do it their way.  30+ wins and an Elite Eight.

Hawgvillain

I also remember hearing a story about him (Marshall) being hired by some other (major conference) team after last season.  He had already agreed to the deal but decided that he wanted to come back to Winthrop and be apart of the first Big South team to ever win a tourney game.  Winthrop's goal this year was to get to the NCAA tourney and win a game...and they did that. 

I've been doing some checking and the team that he almost went to was College of Charleston.  While that's not a major conference team - it was viewed as a move up in the coaching ranks.  Some of the things that made CoC more attractive than Winthrop is their construction of a 5,000 seat state-of-the-art basketball arena.  They also participate in the Southern Conference which is considered a bit better of a conference than the Big South.

joeyself

Quote from: jbcarol on March 19, 2007, 08:37:51 pm

JcS

Creighton and Tulsa, respectively

BINGO.

I understand we (Arkansas) jumped on Stan very quickly due to the circumstances at the time.  We'd not seen how a team would develop under him, how he'd recruit and all the other things we'd want to see about a coach.  Some of the other mid-major guys we've mentioned have a longer track record.

JcS
"Real failure always starts with someone doing something stupid."  Anna Conroy in SLINGS AND ARROWS

southern hawg

No offense to Heath, but it wasn't his coaching that led the 2002 Kent St. team to the elite 8.  He inherited a very solid and experienced team that year.

The Boar War

I really hope this is another incorrect leak.  I was hoping we could get more of a proven/ known coach that would bring some street cred.  This move will not inspire the kind of hype that is needed to get butts back in the seats.  

Winner

Marshall will excite no one. He's been at winthrop for 8 years?  How long does it take to get noticed. Give Heath 8 years and he may win a tournament game.

HoopS

I hold out hope for a BIG name.  If we come up empty, this guy is good.  Real good.  He has ties to ACC country and expanding our recruiting into that area wouldn't be bad at all.   He has taken far less superior athletes and caused headaches for years. 

It would be the hyped move some would want, but winning games due to good ball, fundamentally sound, smart basketball,...would eventually prove to be a product worthy of sell outs. 

HoopS

No, Marshall won't excite us.   Like I said, I hold out hope for one of the Bills.   I'm just saying that someone will eventually hire him away from Winthrop and others will wonder why nobody else got him sooner, IMO.

LJHOG

Quote from: WilsonHog on March 19, 2007, 08:58:23 pm
It ain't Marshall.
Man I hope you are right.  Nothing against the guy and I'm sure he's a good coach (Winthrop did look good), but I'm not ready to go that route again.  Make a move for a proven name first then we'll talk.

pignatious

Quote from: M6 on March 19, 2007, 08:30:40 pm
The 'leak' was not correct. Stan was told if he didn't make a 'RUN' in the NCAA it was over. If you saw the stunned look on the Hog players faces as they took the court and watched their play against USC it was apparent something was up. I wonder if Stan told them before the game he was gone? Never the less, he's is gone.
The coach you speak of is Gregg Marshall. He's been head coach of Winthrop for 8 years. Six trips to the NCAA. 3 Big South Conference Coach of the year. Arkansas played Winthrop in a home/home series, 2003/04. Gregg is considered by many the top Div 1 Mid-Major coach. He was .679 at winthrop after last year. His teams won the Big South Championship 4 of the last 6 years. He's spent 8 years recruiting the Carolinas, Virginia, ACC and Big East. Any school that takes him gets instant credibility and a free pass into that hallowed basketball ground. A proven head coach, with instant access to the Carolinas. For 800-900K. Don't be surprised if he interviews and is offered.

This really wouldn't surprise me at all. Thanks for the info. I know we won't get Self, Gillespie would be a bidding war which we might lose. So, we take a mid-major proven winner. I would rather have a proven big timer to get us back where we belong. But, Arkansas has always taken the cheaper way. Time will tell.
Freedom is never free.

peakhog

whatsshakinbacon

I'm sure Marshall's agent wants it to appear he has several options so as to put the heat on Michigan et al to pony up some more cash.

Marshall is not coming to Arkansas.  Our sights are set higher, but he certainly does appear to be a heck of a coach.

Bacon out...

stronguard

The only Marshall I want around our athletic program is Marshall Dillon.  Maybe he could clean up this band of rogue scaliwags that are in charge and give our program a fresh clean start.
If you don't know, now you know.

Chief Idiot of the Tavern

"Woke" is a term made up by people who have appointed themselves as intellectually superior as a way to describe themselves in comparison with those whom they deem ignorant.

Cajun Hog

Quote from: WilsonHog on March 19, 2007, 08:58:23 pm
It ain't Marshall.

Maybe they think he's was going to Marshal Univ, he won't be coming here.  Book it...............

hogfansince1964

Quote from: whatsshakinbacon on March 19, 2007, 09:13:30 pm
Our sights are set higher, but he certainly does appear to be a heck of a coach.

And what if we can't get one of those upon whom our sights are set?

Cajun Hog

Quote from: hogfansince1964 on March 19, 2007, 09:42:42 pm
Our sights are set higher, but he certainly does appear to be a heck of a coach.

We will our man on this one.

hogfansince1964

Cajun Hog

IndyHog45

On this subject, where were most of the big name coaches before they became big name coaches?... at smaller schools.  Who would argue with Bruce Pearl's success?  No one, yet he came to Tenn. from U. of Wisconsin, Milwaukee if I'm not mistaken.  Where was Gillispie before A&M?  Self before Illinois & Kansas?  At Tulsa.     I think you have to look at their track record at what they had to work with.  You can't throw out all mid-major coaches based on one poor judgment on Heath, who hadn't coached long enough for anyone to know what he could do.  That was the problem with that hiring.  Not where he came from.  What the heck was Broyles thinking?

whatsshakinbacon

Quote from: IndyHog45 on March 19, 2007, 10:00:24 pm
On this subject, where were most of the big name coaches before they became big name coaches?... at smaller schools.  Who would argue with Bruce Pearl's success?  No one, yet he came to Tenn. from U. of Wisconsin, Milwaukee if I'm not mistaken.  Where was Gillispie before A&M?  Self before Illinois & Kansas?  At Tulsa.     I think you have to look at their track record at what they had to work with.  You can't throw out all mid-major coaches based on one poor judgment on Heath, who hadn't coached long enough for anyone to know what he could do.  That was the problem with that hiring.  Not where he came from.  What the heck was Broyles thinking?

It was a colorful search.

Bacon out...

IndyHog45

Quote from: whatsshakinbacon on March 19, 2007, 10:01:11 pm
On this subject, where were most of the big name coaches before they became big name coaches?... at smaller schools.  Who would argue with Bruce Pearl's success?  No one, yet he came to Tenn. from U. of Wisconsin, Milwaukee if I'm not mistaken.  Where was Gillispie before A&M?  Self before Illinois & Kansas?  At Tulsa.     I think you have to look at their track record at what they had to work with.  You can't throw out all mid-major coaches based on one poor judgment on Heath, who hadn't coached long enough for anyone to know what he could do.  That was the problem with that hiring.  Not where he came from.  What the heck was Broyles thinking?

It was a colorful search.

Bacon out...

Unfortunately, I think you are VERY right.

SuperHog

we will have a new coach...but it won't be Marshall.  Book It, carve it in stone, write it in blood, whatever you want to do.  A change is coming before the next b-ball season.
Where is the outrage over the lack of an investigation by the UA into harassment of a student-athlete by a booster with EXTREMELY close personal ties to the head coach and his brother?  Instead we pay the brother $175K to act like a coach, be closely involved with the team, and occupy the same office even though he RESIGNED for "health" reasons.

hogfaninbr

Wht kind of basketball does winthrop play?  I havent seen too many big south games this year I have to admit.  If its uptempo pressure basketball it could be a good hire...

SuperHog

Quote from: hogfaninbr on March 19, 2007, 10:09:42 pm
Wht kind of basketball does winthrop play?  I havent seen too many big south games this year I have to admit.  If its uptempo pressure WINNING basketball it could be a good hire...

Fixed that for ya.
Where is the outrage over the lack of an investigation by the UA into harassment of a student-athlete by a booster with EXTREMELY close personal ties to the head coach and his brother?  Instead we pay the brother $175K to act like a coach, be closely involved with the team, and occupy the same office even though he RESIGNED for "health" reasons.

hogfaninbr

Quote from: SuperHog on March 19, 2007, 10:11:50 pm
Quote from: hogfaninbr on March 19, 2007, 10:09:42 pm
Wht kind of basketball does winthrop play?  I havent seen too many big south games this year I have to admit.  If its uptempo pressure WINNING basketball it could be a good hire...

Fixed that for ya.

Good call.  +1

TransAmHawg

Quote from: Hog1961 on March 19, 2007, 09:48:37 pm
Quote from: hogfansince1964 on March 19, 2007, 09:42:42 pm

We will our man on this one.

I do believe your correct sir. It will be a good hire I'm sure
It'll Shine When it Shines

Ol Frank has finally $h!t in his own lunch box!!!

"I hope they all keep smiling and taking the arse pounding that we are dishing out..
  It's their choice to bite the pillow or look over their shoulder lovingly.
  Either way we're on top..!"   
                             4windshawg

lowellgeorge

Heath and Nutt were both hired by committee, Broyles own track record is actually pretty good: Hatfield, Holtz, Van Horn, Sutton and Richardson.

rev. tim

Quote from: GeneKeadysRug on March 19, 2007, 07:26:15 pm
Willie Marshall?

Marshall Dillon, John Marshall, Thurgood Marshall, Marshall Amps, Marshall Fields, US Marshalls, Marshall, TX