Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Gillispie and opportunities....

Started by Sao Ming, March 19, 2007, 10:55:25 am

Previous topic - Next topic

Sao Ming

Would BG leave ATM for Arkansas?  Would consider it perhaps.

You are a young exciting coach who is certainly showing you are worthy of coaching a larger basketball program somewhere.  When it comes time to make a jump, what would you do? 

Real question is this.  Is Tubby out at KY?  Could happen.  When/if it does happen, KY will run out it's Hoops money and tradition in a big way.

I think it's no contest between us and them if that scenario were to play out.

Hogblog

Like it or not we don't have the money that they have in Aggie Land. Bet he doesn't leave, but does get a large raise...........................

Sao Ming

Quote from: Hogblog on March 19, 2007, 11:00:15 am
Like it or not we don't have the money that they have in Aggie Land. Bet he doesn't leave, but does get a large raise...........................

The ATM money is no joke, I agree and if pushed they will counter-offer anything proposed to BG. 

The one caveat to me is this.  If KY comes calling, we and ATM have no shot.  None.  They (KY) have the money, are in the oh-so-elite SEC and have Championships for all fingers.  When you are presented a job at Kentucky, you just don't turn it down.  If you do, well, it's like turning down the head skipper job of the Yankees to coach or stay the manager of the Texas Rangers.

The only 2 coaches I can think of anywhere in the NCAA who would turn down KY are Self and Williams (Coach K not even factored).  When you are at KS and NC (or even Duke) there is no reason to go...they are already at the top with no reason to go sans a horrible relationship with fans/AD's dept.

dotnet

You should add UCLA to that list of schools.

lateshow

Quote from: dotnet on March 19, 2007, 12:27:56 pm
You should add UCLA to that list of schools.

Not anymore.

Duke would be the top of that list, followed by KY, NC, and KS.

DeltaBoy

BG will come because we have what the AGGIES are Building!
If the South should lose, it means that the history of the heroic struggle will be written by the enemy, that our youth will be trained by Northern school teachers, will be impressed by all of the influences of history and education to regard our gallant dead as traitors and our maimed veterans as fit subjects for derision.
-- Major General Patrick Cleburne
The Confederacy had no better soldiers
than the Arkansans--fearless, brave, and oftentimes courageous beyond
prudence. Dickart History of Kershaws Brigade.

Sao Ming

Quote from: DeltaBoy on March 19, 2007, 12:34:24 pm
BG will come because we have what the AGGIES are Building!

So, hypothetically, if it came down to ATM, UARK and KY, who would he choose?  Again, mind you, each is/would be willing to pay.

HogsGranpa

Quote from: Sao Ming on March 19, 2007, 10:55:25 am

You are a young exciting coach who is certainly showing you are worthy of coaching a larger basketball program somewhere.  When it comes time to make a jump, what would you do? 

Real question is this.  Is Tubby out at KY?  Could happen.  When/if it does happen, KY will run out it's Hoops money and tradition in a big way.

Would the prospect of coaching a athlete such as Steven Hill to bring out his top potential, be an enticement, along with the money, to come to Arkansas, for BG or any well respected coach?

MrsPiggy

Quote from: HogsGranpa on March 19, 2007, 12:42:12 pm

Would the prospect of coaching a athlete such as Steven Hill to bring out his top potential, be an enticement, along with the money, to come to Arkansas, for BG or any well respected coach?

Steven Hill only has a year left so I don't think that would be much of an enticement.  Beverly and Washington would be a better argument there

Hogblog

Quote from: Fresh Legs™ on March 19, 2007, 12:52:25 pm
Like it or not we don't have the money that they have in Aggie Land.

I agree with that fact but it's completely irrelevant.

We're talking about 3 million dollars, AT MOST.  We have 3 million dollars.

The fact that they have all that oil money would only matter if we were in the running to buy a small country. 

BG is a Texas boy.........short of coaching at Austin, aTm is the next best thing. He will start dominating the B12 south next year. If you look at his coaching experience most of it has been in central TX. I still think he uses the interest from other schools as a fat pay day.

If you are loyal to the Aggies they are loyal to you. Shelby Metcalf had a job for life!

arklahoman36

I see a lot of folks talking about no "up and comers," we need a coach considered one of the top 10 or 15 coaches in the nation, which leads me to a couple of observations.

I agree, the decisions of this athletic department have made "up and comer," a dirty word here, Gardner, HDN and Heath.

Up and comer doesn't have to be a bad thing, there are numerous examples to cite, but I agree this administration sure hasn't shown a knack in the last 10 years for identifying potential among coaches.

I understand, therefore people are demanding a top 10 to 15 hire.
But why would a coach of that caliber come to a school without a top 10 to 15 athletic department?

I would have to think the facilities and legacy of the program are somewhat negated by the fact Arkansas doesn't have a top 10 or 15 athletic department -- that's further aggravated by the uncertainty in the department.
Do I want to leave my current job where I have success, I'm making good money, for an unsettled situation where there are no guarantees a top 10 or 15 AD will be hired?

Even if there is a top 10 or 15 coach unhappy with their current situation, they would have to ask themselves, do I leave the devil I know for a potential devil I don't know (someone hired this season has no idea who their boss will be next year).

I'm not saying Arkansas can't or won't get a top 10 or 15 coach, but I think some people are over simplifying how easy it will be to get it done by pointing to facilities, the willingness (if it's there) to spend the money and the history of the program -- without considering how a coach might view the leadership in the AD office.

Jim Harris

Kentucky's  problems are a little unlike ours. We're worrying not only about the lost of 2,000 or so bb season ticket buyers, but facing the possibly of filling 5 to 7 scholarships (if Heath stays, it will be five available in Nov. because he's signing two in the spring and dumping the scholies on two of his current seniors to be). Kentucky's PTB, on the other hand, see and gradually drop in talent under Tubby, and facing the fact that he's bringing nobody in of note to quicky turn that around. They are facing the fact that only his outstanding coaching is going to get them in the upper 4-5 teams of the SEC and into the dance, and they'll be an 8-9-10 seed at best and not make it to the sweet 16 anytime soon. As far as I know, season ticket sales are not falling off at UK; only the hopes of contending for a national title, and not because of inept coaching or leadership but the procurement of talent. The guys Tubby has trusted on his sidelines aren't bringing it in the way Pitino could, or the way Joe B. Hall's staff could, or even Eddie. We know now how JBH and Eddie managed it, and it wasn't pretty. Pitino's personality apparently was all it took to bring in that NBA roster he had from 1993-97.

We seem to think the arrival of Self, Gillispie or Tim Floyd will immediately take this odd collection Stan Heath has assembled and take them into the second week of the tourney, as wel as get people so excited that the waiting list returns to season tickets at BWA.
"We've been trying to build a program on a 7-8 win per season business model .... We upgraded the Business Model." -- John Tyson

Hogblog

Quote from: Fresh Legs™ on March 19, 2007, 01:27:23 pm
Quote from: Hogblog on March 19, 2007, 01:12:20 pm

The fact that they have all that oil money would only matter if we were in the running to buy a small country. 

BG is a Texas boy.........short of coaching at Austin, aTm is the next best thing. He will start dominating the B12 south next year. If you look at his coaching experience most of it has been in central TX. I still think he uses the interest from other schools as a fat pay day.

If you are loyal to the Aggies they are loyal to you. Shelby Metcalf had a job for life!

Being a texas boy, showing loyalty, and domination of his division are all separate points from your original thoughts regarding money. 

These are good thoughts but I just wanted to point that the availability of money is irrelevant.  Whether or not we will spend top money for a coach is the real question.

Point taken............I just added the other factors as a sidebar..............

Hong Kong Sooey

Correct.  Money will not be the issue.  Both TAMU and Arkansas have plenty of money.  We need to sell BCG on who we are.  We are the Arkansas Razorbacks damn it.  It's time we remember that and stop acting like Vanderbilt or TCU.

Sao Ming

Quote from: Hong Kong Sooey on March 19, 2007, 02:19:02 pm

Correct.  Money will not be the issue.  Both TAMU and Arkansas have plenty of money.  We need to sell BCG on who we are.  We are the Arkansas Razorbacks damn it.  It's time we remember that and stop acting like Vanderbilt or TCU.

Are you saying 'go big or go home'?

Hong Kong Sooey

Quote from: Sao Ming on March 19, 2007, 02:20:11 pm
Quote from: Hong Kong Sooey on March 19, 2007, 02:19:02 pm

Are you saying 'go big or go home'?
To a degree.  If going home means keeping Heath, then no.  If it going big means trading our integrity for someone like Bob Huggins or John Calipari, then no.  We need to break out the tradition.  We have Sidney Moncrief and Joe Klein.  Corliss Williamson and Joe Johnson.  Have them talk to BCG.  Good grief, who has been a better salesman of the Arkansas Razorbacks than Frank Broyles over the years.  Rename Bud Walton after Billy Clyde's mother if that is what it takes to get him.  But don't back out because he doesn't jump at the first thing offered.  Be who we are.

peakhog

The Aggies will poney up whatever it takes to keep Gillespie. And yes, they could outspend KU if it came down to it. Take a look at what they did a couple of years ago. The Aggies had NO Track program. They hired Pat Henry away from LSU for big $$$. If not mistaken, Henry makes more than our very own John McDonnell. BTW, Henry had 27 NC's in 17 years at LSU. What A&M wants, A&M gets.

Cajun Hog

Quote from: Hogblog on March 19, 2007, 01:12:20 pm

Has aTm really loyal to him?  ???  It's not about the $$$$$$$$$, for a change.

Sao Ming

Quote from: Fresh Legs™ on March 19, 2007, 02:41:10 pm
Quote from: peakhog on March 19, 2007, 02:29:46 pm
The Aggies will poney up whatever it takes to keep Gillespie. And yes, they could outspend KU if it came down to it. Take a look at what they did a couple of years ago. The Aggies had NO Track program. They hired Pat Henry away from LSU for big $$$. If not mistaken, Henry makes more than our very own John McDonnell. BTW, Henry had 27 NC's in 17 years at LSU. What A&M wants, A&M gets.

Again, dollars are not the issue.  See my above post.  It will be about what other factors influence him.  Is it tradition?  Arena?  Fanbase?  Recruiting ground?  Being near home?

Some combination of the above will influence Gillispie and who knows what those factors might be and how much weight he assigns to them plus the others I have not listed.

Dead on, which is what had me thinking about the scenario if Tubby is out.  Could we compete with Kentucky in those areas...I'm not sure.  Well, not 100% anyway.

BCShogs

Maybe he has an Arkansas connection that hasn't yet been reported..........that always helps.

Hogblog

Quote from: opineonswine on March 19, 2007, 02:40:13 pm

BULL

There is NO way that the Razorback Foundation has more money in it's coffers than the 12th Man.......NO WAY!

BCShogs

I didn't realize Gillispie was an assistant under Bill Self at Tulsa and Illinois. Very interesting.

razorpimp

BULL

don't you mean CHICKEN!

Sao Ming

Quote from: Hogblog on March 19, 2007, 03:11:16 pm

BULL

There is NO way that the Razorback Foundation has more money in it's coffers than the 12th Man.......NO WAY!

Pretty arbitrary argument here.  Doesn't apply as the salary level does not dictate making one or the other overdrawn.

razorpimp

Quote from: Sao Ming on March 19, 2007, 03:17:06 pm
Quote from: Hogblog on March 19, 2007, 03:11:16 pm

BULL

Pretty arbitrary argument here.  Doesn't apply as the salary level does not dictate making one or the other overdrawn.

It doesn't matter...we just better get a good coach in here, whoever he is.  If we wait too long, we will continue to lose ground to guys like Bruce Pearl, Calipari, even Andy Kennedy.......and be in a bigger hole than we already are in.

Sao Ming

Interesting.  One of Dallas' sports talk shows has the ex-roommate of BCG as a personality.  He is being VERY candid about BCG right now.

Top on the list of BCG's 'likes' (based on running personal conversations):

1.  Recruiting Dallas, Tx
2.  Having his mother close enough to ATM that she can drive to all home games.

BCG will be on The Hardline later this week (Dallas 1310 P1's) to talk about this success...basically having a kid like Acie Law going from 0-16 (B12) to Sweet 16 and being able to help Acie along in his career.  Quiet a turnaround.

Sao Ming

March 22, 2007, 06:17:11 pm #26 Last Edit: March 22, 2007, 06:19:01 pm by Sao Ming
Told ya...be worried.

In fact, today his college ex-roommate could be the best source to BCG of all.  Greggo said that BCG wants two things...to win a National Championship and to coach at a basketball first school.  Who is Greggo?  Let's just say that would equate to HDN telling Danny a secret and Danny coming right here and posting it verbatim.

KY fits that bill and will pay him.  We have our work cut out for us.

Sao Ming

Go buy him...right now.

Don't let KY have a chance.

oldfart

Ive heard that Calipari may be high on Ky's list.....

moses_007

Gillispie wont leave A&M for Arkansas.  Our best bet is Kruger.

:razorback: :razorback: :razorback:

TransAmHawg

KY wants Donavon, Self, Marquette's coach ( Crean?) Barnes ( Texas ) Callipari ( Mempiss ) Gillespie isn't in their top 5. He's ready to come here and they are finished for the season. We'll make him an offer that he's already said yes to. The only thing I see that gets in the way is if KY get Barnes. Then Taxas is open. BG might not be a lock if he can move over to Austin.
My pick for KY is Calipari. They deserve each other so much.
It'll Shine When it Shines

Ol Frank has finally $h!t in his own lunch box!!!

"I hope they all keep smiling and taking the arse pounding that we are dishing out..
  It's their choice to bite the pillow or look over their shoulder lovingly.
  Either way we're on top..!"   
                             4windshawg

Hogz Win

Quote from: Sao Ming on March 19, 2007, 05:05:55 pm
Interesting.  One of Dallas' sports talk shows has the ex-roommate of BCG as a personality.  He is being VERY candid about BCG right now.

BCG will be on The Hardline later this week (Dallas 1310 P1's) to talk about this success...basically having a kid like Acie Law going from 0-16 (B12) to Sweet 16 and being able to help Acie along in his career.  Quiet a turnaround.

He is not BCG's ex-roomate.  He lived across the hall.  Anyway, the Aggies I know think it is Kentucky or them.  Theya re saying that if he won't go to Kentucky, he's not going anywhere.  They put us on the level of Indiana, who he turned down last year.  I just hope we get to him before KY does.

Sao Ming

Quote from: Hogz Win on March 22, 2007, 09:39:20 pm
Quote from: Sao Ming on March 19, 2007, 05:05:55 pm

He is not BCG's ex-roomate.  He lived across the hall.  Anyway, the Aggies I know think it is Kentucky or them.  Theya re saying that if he won't go to Kentucky, he's not going anywhere.  They put us on the level of Indiana, who he turned down last year.  I just hope we get to him before KY does.

Tell that to Greg Williams tomorrow...214-787-1310 - 3:00 - 7:00 PM.  He and BCG have talked about it for years.  I'm not Greggo so don't blame me for what is broadcast.  Challenge it.

Hogz Win

Didn't mean to bust balls.  Maybe they were roomates after they left the dorms.  But I do know that they lived across the hall from each other in the dorms.  It doesn't really matter.  The fact is that they are long time friends.

jkelly107

fwhog

The problem is that BG was born and raised in Texas and I don't see him leaving the Aggies for Arkansas.  If it were five years ago, yah.  But not for this Arkansas team.

fwhog

Quote from: jkelly107 on March 22, 2007, 09:50:46 pm
Gillespie will be our next coach.
I hope so...but I just don't see it.

jkelly107

Hogz Win

I haven't been posting here for very long, but I have mentioned that my two brothers are Aggies and always seem to know what is going on.  They both went to the game in SA, and I just talked to one of them.  He said that he talked to a couple of the players after the game and the press conference and they all told him that BCG was very emotional and told them he was not going anywhere and to soak up the moment because they would be back next year.

I don't think it means anything because coaches say these type of things before bolting all of the time.  Just thought I would pass it along.

fwhog

Quote from: Hogz Win on March 22, 2007, 11:39:20 pm
I haven't been posting here for very long, but I have mentioned that my two brothers are Aggies and always seem to know what is going on.  They both went to the game in SA, and I just talked to one of them.  He said that he talked to a couple of the players after the game and the press conference and they all told him that BCG was very emotional and told them he was not going anywhere and to soak up the moment because they would be back next year.

I don't think it means anything because coaches say these type of things before bolting all of the time.  Just thought I would pass it along.

Have you guys heard any other prospects besides BCG, Doc, and Crean?

bd93

DC

I don't remember the last time A&M received 300 million in gifts to their school. There is plenty of money in NW Arkansas to get whoever we want!(with a few exceptions maybe). In other words, we can bid the best of them.

hoggsville

NW Arkansas has plenty of money.  The only problem is that Kentucky & Michigan are two better jobs that are open right now. They are going to get the best candidates......... Kruger is interesting.......What about Reggie Theus? Scott Sutton at ORU (2 NCAA tournaments - hard school to recruit to?)? Tim Floyd just signed the best player in America to come to USC....

dotnet

Michigan is NOT a better job than Arkansas.

BRC0180

Michigan practices in a PE gym.  Facilities are horrendous.  They will pay a nice salary to a coach to make it look like they are comitted, but not dedicate money to major basketball facility upgrades.  Why because they just pumped in over 50 million on  the big house

riccoar

Michigan is and always will be a football school.  Over 100,000 for football games.

riccoar

Hogz Win

I hate it when someone posts "according to my sources" and then types vague unsubstantiated rumors.  Having said that...

Billy Gillispie will not be coming to Arkansas.  He might not be at A&M next year, but he is definitely not coming to here.  My brother knows that I read this website and have recently started posting, and he told me the info on the understanding that I wouldn't say any names that he talked to, the specifics of what was said, etc.  So I really am sorry that I can't say any more than that.

I am VERY depressed.  I really thought he was ours if we wanted him.  Maybe Opine or Hong Kong can cheer me up and tell me that they have heard something different.  This is very depressing because he would have us competing for a conference title within 2 years.