Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Doc Sadler (All posts go HERE)

Started by USCoastGuard, March 17, 2007, 11:27:20 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

USCoastGuard

I just talked to my freind in Nebraska and he said it was almost a done deal that Doc Sadler was coming to arkansas. Is this true? How could we not know? he said it was all over the news! somebody please correct me if im wrong.
Come back over Gus!

BigDeal

Quote from: USCoastGuard on March 17, 2007, 11:27:20 pm
I just talked to my freind in Nebraska and he said it was almost a done deal that Doc Sadler was coming to arkansas. Is this true? How could we not know? he said it was all over the news! somebody please correct me if im wrong.

Doc would make a fine choice. I remember when he coached at UTEP thinking his chance coming back to Arkansas would come soon.

DaniHog

He is not even a candidate...you have heard bad information.  Doc is a good guy..Arkansas native, but he too would fit under the "up and coming" and we need to hire an established head coach at this point and time.  

Quote from: USCoastGuard on March 17, 2007, 11:27:20 pm

Arazorbackguy1

no way!!!!   Nebraska lost to Kansas by like 50 points twice this year.
I have 10 to 12 points to make per game.

BRC0180

March 17, 2007, 11:33:32 pm #4 Last Edit: March 17, 2007, 11:36:30 pm by BRC0180
makes sense.  If they ask Self/BCG and they turn it down; they will recommend Doc.

I don't understand how people scoff at Doc and consider Anderson a legitimate canidate.  Doc has made a habit out of wearing Andersons UAB and Missouri teams.

Porkranger

that would be going from bad to worse.

BRC0180

Quote from: Porkranger on March 17, 2007, 11:35:52 pm

Why do you say that?

jhog

I promise you it will not be Doc Sadler. 

BRC0180

Quote from: jhog on March 17, 2007, 11:40:37 pm
I promise you it will not be Doc Sadler. 

So you know who it will be?

Hong Kong Sooey

Quote from: BRC0180 on March 17, 2007, 11:37:18 pm
Quote from: Porkranger on March 17, 2007, 11:35:52 pm

Why do you say that?
Because he has no clue what he is talking about regarding Doc. 

quest4excellence

Why all the hate for Doc Sadler?  I think he is a good candidate.

Word to ya motha! -Vanilla Ice

BRC0180

Quote from: Fresh Legs™ on March 17, 2007, 11:43:55 pm
I think you got some bad information.  I don't think Doc would make a good choice and it's nothing personal.  He's not a homerun hire and I don't think he can recruit well enough at Arkansas.

Actually he is one of the 2 or 3 guys (along with Self/BCG) that would recruit very well at Arkansas.  Doc has successfully recruited the "Diamond"  Chicago, Memphis,Tulsa/OKC, Dallas.  Look at the NBA players he has recruited from the Diamond region.  The high school/juco coaches in this region love him, much like the juco/hs coaches love Gillispie in Texas.

Porkranger

Nebraska has NOT been to the NCAA tourny since 01-02. Arkansas may have lost the first round game two years in row, BUT at least they went.   And I'm not a Heath fan, it's just true.

mbgrulz

that'd be a joke of a hire.

quest4excellence

Quote from: Porkranger on March 17, 2007, 11:50:10 pm
Nebraska has NOT been to the NCAA tourny since 01-02. Arkansas may have lost the first round game two years in row, BUT at least they went.   And I'm not a Heath fan, it's just true.

correct me if I'm wrong but wasn't this his first year at nebraska?

Hong Kong Sooey

Quote from: BRC0180 on March 17, 2007, 11:47:07 pm
I think you got some bad information.  I don't think Doc would make a good choice and it's nothing personal.  He's not a homerun hire and I don't think he can recruit well enough at Arkansas.

Actually he is one of the 2 or 3 guys (along with Self/BCG) that would recruit very well at Arkansas.  Doc has successfully recruited the "Diamond"  Chicago, Memphis,Tulsa/OKC, Dallas.  Look at the NBA players he has recruited from the Diamond region.  The high school/juco coaches in this region love him, much like the juco/hs coaches love Gillispie in Texas.
Thank you for dispelling a misconception many here seem to have about Doc Sadler.  There is no logical reason to oppose him if Gillispie decides to stay at TAMU.  At that point, we either go with a retread or a Mid Major coach.  I prefer a guy who has big conference experience and learned his craft at the feet of coaches like Self and Gillispie.

oldbooniehog

I have met Doc Sadler and like him.

That said, the only folks "excited" about Doc Sadler as a candidate are folks reacting strictly with "homer vision."

They know he coached at UA Fort Smith, and that's all they know.

He's been the head man of a D-1 program in a legitimate power conference for exactly one year.

He's not the guy, no matter how much you may personally like him.

Not yet he's not.

Give him five more years in D-1 power conferences, and let him make a name for himself.

Then he'll be the man.

But he's not there yet.....not even close.

obh

Hong Kong Sooey

Quote from: quest4excellence on March 17, 2007, 11:52:34 pm
Quote from: Porkranger on March 17, 2007, 11:50:10 pm
Nebraska has NOT been to the NCAA tourny since 01-02. Arkansas may have lost the first round game two years in row, BUT at least they went.   And I'm not a Heath fan, it's just true.

correct me if I'm wrong but wasn't this his first year at nebraska?
Correct, and he only had 6 players on scolarship to work with.  I'd say he did a pretty good job with next to nothing to work with. 

BRC0180

He took the job late in the summer.  He has been there 1 year.  He inherited basically an NAIA team with a good post man.  He utilized that talent to win 18 games and

Beat Texas Tech @ Lubbock (yea they beat the hogs in LR, beat kansas and A&M, and made the tourney.

Swept Missouri.  (he drilled Anderson at UAB, still doing at Missouri)

Beat Kansas State

Beat Oklahoma State

Lost to Texas @ Texas by 1. 

Yes he got drilled by Kansas and A&M (alot of people took one from those two).

Remember he did this with the same group of players that got Collier fired at Nebraska.

What AD hired Ben Howland/Jaimie Dixon at Pitt?  The same guy that hired Doc at Nebraska.

mbgrulz

DS would be another wait and see hire. it would be just like when we hired stan. the only difference is that at least stan was a hot commodity at the time we hired him. hiring DS is like buying a ford taurus. nice trusty car, but woopity doo.

BRC0180

Quote from: oldbooniehog on March 17, 2007, 11:55:09 pm
I have met Doc Sadler and like him.

That said, the only folks "excited" about Doc Sadler as a candidate are folks reacting strictly with "homer vision."

Admittingly I like Doc.  Maybe I am a homer.  But I also know he is a hell of a coach.  So your saying BCG is not ready to be the Hog coach?  He only has 3 years of major conference experience.  It sounds like you only know that Doc was at UAFS.  You probably don't know that Doc got BCG his first DI job as an assistant for Self.  You probably don't know that BCG brought Doc to UTEP to repay that favor, knowing a year in advance he was going to take the A&M job.

Hong Kong Sooey

Quote from: Fresh Legs™ on March 17, 2007, 11:58:19 pm
Quote from: Hong Kong Sooey on March 17, 2007, 11:53:53 pm

Thank you for dispelling a misconception many here seem to have about Doc Sadler.  There is no logical reason to oppose him if Gillispie decides to stay at TAMU.  At that point, we either go with a retread or a Mid Major coach.  I prefer a guy who has big conference experience and learned his craft at the feet of coaches like Self and Gillispie.

He has one year of "big conference" experience.  Sorry HKS, but that ain't cuttin' with me.  He is a midmajor coach. 
OK, who is a better (reasonable) option if Gillispie says "No"?  Self is nothing more than a smokescreen.  Pitino isn't leaving Louisville.  Calipari is a crook and his wife would make Ramona look like a Stepford wife if he drug her to Fayetteville.  I know you have said "Shut down the program", but we both know that isn't happening.  Who is next?

Toad Suck Pork

The key here is to make sure Gillespie doesn't say no.  They need to follow Bama's lead and go all out for the right guy.

Hong Kong Sooey

Quote from: js1717 on March 18, 2007, 12:07:22 am
The key here is to make sure Gillespie doesn't say no.  They need to follow Bama's lead and go all out for the right guy.
The thing about BCG is, he isn't going to make the move for money.  For one, TAMU has more than we do.  Secondly, he has turned down a lot more money at TAMU and told them to put it into facilities and improving the program.  We have to remember who we are and then show BCG exactly that.  The Arkansas Razorbacks are a national power in basketball, and we need to remember that.

quest4excellence

I'm just saying that sadler should be a candidate after the bills.  I HATE JOHN CALIPARI FWIW.

BRC0180

Few people realize how long Doc has been at this.  He worked for Coach Sutton at Arkansas, Coach Dickey at Texas Tech, Bill Frieder at Arizona State.  Head Coaching Experience at UAFS, UTEP, now Nebraska.  He was signing future NBA players Darwin Ham/Cory Carr/tony Battie to Texas Tech while Self/Gillespie were high school coaches.

Toad Suck Pork

Quote from: quest4excellence on March 18, 2007, 12:11:38 am
I'm just saying that sadler should be a candidate after the bills.  I HATE JOHN CALIPARI FWIW.

You and John Cheney both!

BRC0180

Quote from: Fresh Legs™ on March 18, 2007, 12:13:25 am
Quote from: Hong Kong Sooey on March 18, 2007, 12:05:36 am

He has one year of "big conference" experience.  Sorry HKS, but that ain't cuttin' with me.  He is a midmajor coach. 
OK, who is a better (reasonable) option if Gillispie says "No"?  Self is nothing more than a smokescreen.  Pitino isn't leaving Louisville.  Calipari is a crook and his wife would make Ramona look like a Stepford wife if he drug her to Fayetteville.  I know you have said "Shut down the program", but we both know that isn't happening.  Who is next?

I guess let me get a few things on the table for those who aren't as clear with where I stand:
A) Pitino isn't even blinking towards Fayetteville.  Same goes for Self.
B) I don't want Mike Anderson back (I like Mike real well and have been around him in person but he's not the answer)
C) Keep that Calimari on the other side of the Mississippi.  The program would be shut down by his hire.  The NCAA would probably consider that a violation of our probation. ;)

Who would I rather have over Doc?

1.  Rick Barnes
2.  Jamie Dixon
3.  Tom Crean
4.  John Beilein

If all else fails, Tubby Smith.  He'd bring intensity and experience and would elevate the program.  Again, let me stress that he isn't my ideal hire.  It's not a long term option nor my ideal situation.  It's an if "all else fails" type of consideration.

Some other possibilities:
Ernie Kent.  I don't know a ton about him.  If I were an AD, I would consider him and Doc in the same conversation and make my call.

Barnes, Dixon are not coming.  I am all for Crean, (though he is Michigans target), Can't see Belin leaving WVU for fayetteville.

football17

I know a lot about Doc, and if you can't get BS or BG then Doc is the best guy to get. He'd be a GREAT hire!

He is an awesome coach. He'd certainly be here for a very, very long time and make Arkansas a mainstay power. No doubt about it in my mind.

DaniHog

Yo Fresh Legs.....SELF IS INTERESTED!  He will not let UA job go again.  He will take a hard look at it...it might be many years before he has a chance to coach in BWA.  He loves BWA.  He is unhappy at KU. 

quest4excellence

Quote from: Fresh Legs™ on March 18, 2007, 12:26:13 am
Quote from: js1717 on March 18, 2007, 12:17:29 am

You and John Cheney both!

We were laughing about the incident a month or two ago.  Man I wish they would have let ol' Chaney clock him one right in the kisser!  ;D

Seriously, is there a bigger jerk in college basketball then calipari?  I couldn't stand him at UMASS and now he's worse.

BRC0180

Quote from: Fresh Legs™ on March 18, 2007, 12:25:02 am
Quote from: BRC0180 on March 18, 2007, 12:18:01 am
Quote from: Fresh Legs™ on March 18, 2007, 12:13:25 am
Quote from: Hong Kong Sooey on March 18, 2007, 12:05:36 am

I guess let me get a few things on the table for those who aren't as clear with where I stand:
A) Pitino isn't even blinking towards Fayetteville.  Same goes for Self.
B) I don't want Mike Anderson back (I like Mike real well and have been around him in person but he's not the answer)
C) Keep that Calimari on the other side of the Mississippi.  The program would be shut down by his hire.  The NCAA would probably consider that a violation of our probation. ;)

Who would I rather have over Doc?

1.  Rick Barnes
2.  Jamie Dixon
3.  Tom Crean
4.  John Beilein

If all else fails, Tubby Smith.  He'd bring intensity and experience and would elevate the program.  Again, let me stress that he isn't my ideal hire.  It's not a long term option nor my ideal situation.  It's an if "all else fails" type of consideration.

Some other possibilities:
Ernie Kent.  I don't know a ton about him.  If I were an AD, I would consider him and Doc in the same conversation and make my call.

Barnes, Dixon are not coming.  I am all for Crean, (though he is Michigans target), Can't see Belin leaving WVU for fayetteville.

You're bound to be right if you keep eliminating all of my targets! ;D

Let me say this...as exciting as hiring Grant would be or Marshall from Winthrop (given their style of play), if it comes down to that option then we probably need to hire Doc Sadler.  I think it would be a dream job for him. 

I still contend in so doing we're getting a mid-major.  One year at Nebraska does not make him a major college basketball coach.  That's all.

We should hire either one of the Bills no question. If they do not want the job all  I am asking is why would you not hire the guy they both will recommend?  Bet the farm they if they refuse they will say you need to hire Doc.

Porkem

Doc Sadler is not established enough to come here.  Period.  Maybe in another 5 years but not now.  He is an "up and comer" and that's not what the UofA wants right now.  A "proven" coach is who we will go after.  No way, no how is Doc Sadler coming here.  He will not even be given an interview.
"Due to current economic conditions, Porkem has decided to file for moral bankruptcy."

HogFan1973

Quote from: mbgrulz on March 17, 2007, 11:52:21 pm

That is truth.  I DON'T want a Sutton and I DON'T want a Doc.

quest4excellence

Quote from: Air It Out Gus on March 18, 2007, 12:45:34 am
Quote from: mbgrulz on March 17, 2007, 11:52:21 pm

That is truth.  I DON'T want a Sutton and I DON'T want a Doc.

My candidates are:

Butch Davis
Norm Chow
Charlie Strong

Ohh sorry force of habit

sechawgfan

No way in hell they hire Doc......... I knew Doc back in HS days, but he is no where near ready for this job.  What in the world makes you think he is.......... Im glad your not on the search committe.

USCoastGuard

Quote from: sechawgfan on March 18, 2007, 01:00:45 am
]Im glad your not on the search committe.

who are you talking too?
Come back over Gus!

Buck Ocean

No Arkansas ties please.  I've had enough of this stuff that I can handle.  Please....no more Arkansas people.  Be professional and hire someone in the Top 6 or whatever coaches in America who have proven they can do
it.  Pay them money.  Its a step down. 
Think like a Jedi

hawgsav1

Rick Barnes is not really the right answer, though if Durant leaves I could see him come. He's a good recruiter and seems to get some good guys. Self is the least likely of all the coaches to come here. Tubby is staying at Kentucky. I'm sure Pitino wouldn't mind but I think he wants to build what he has at Louisville. Tom Crean's 4 NCAA tourney victories came during the Elite 8 run with Dwayne Wade while he is 0-3 otherwise. Crean looks like another Stan Heath. Beilein is questionable for a few reasons. He hasn't had continued success.  I doubt Dixon will leave what he has built at Pitt.  Does anyone know more about the VCU coach or Seth Greenberg?
Revenge is a dish best served cold. - Klingon Proverb

Fayetnam

No, not Doc Sadler! He is NOT a proven head coach! Won a few at UTEP, but that conference sux! NO DOC SADLER please!!!!!

CSNuts

Well, those of you who think Sadler was pulled out of the air must not have read Wally this morning...

"...Those three are Bill Self, Billy Gillispie and Floyd, the guy who put on a clinic Friday night against the Razorbacks."

"Which brings up the mystery man, former Razorbacks manager Doc Sadler, who has just finished his first year as the head coach at football power Nebraska.

Sadler would crawl to Arkansas. "

http://www.wholehogsports.com/adg/184847/

Didn't remember Floyd was interested when they hired Heath...

big boes

Quote from: BRC0180 on March 18, 2007, 12:00:44 am
He took the job late in the summer.  He has been there 1 year.  He inherited basically an NAIA team with a good post man.  He utilized that talent to win 18 games and

Beat Texas Tech @ Lubbock (yea they beat the hogs in LR, beat kansas and A&M, and made the tourney.

Swept Missouri.  (he drilled Anderson at UAB, still doing at Missouri)

Beat Kansas State

Beat Oklahoma State

Lost to Texas @ Texas by 1. 

Yes he got drilled by Kansas and A&M (alot of people took one from those two).

Remember he did this with the same group of players that got Collier fired at Nebraska.

What AD hired Ben Howland/Jaimie Dixon at Pitt?  The same guy that hired Doc at Nebraska.

is that the same AD who wanted nutt?

Dwight_K_Shrute

Sadler may be a good or even great coach but his hire would be slightly less risky than Stan's 5 year's ago.  I would put the Bills, Floyd, and Lon Kruger in my top 4.  There's probabably a few more I'd go through before Doc.  Not a knock against him.
Little known fact, but prior to settling on Guantanamo, the Pentagon wanted to house terror suspects at War Memorial Stadium.  It was deemed to be cruel and unusual punishment and in violation of the Geneva Convention.

stl590

This is baffling to me!  I understand everyone wanting Heath gone, I do as well, but I've yet to hear a name that REALLY excites me as a replacement.  BG, sure. but I think that's a long shot at best.  Would I love to steal Self away from KU, HELL YES, but not going to happen unless KU wants it to.  I knew Doc when I was a snot-nosed kid and a ballboy when he was a team manager for Sutton, I can't get past this image and in no way think he's built the resume to be the head coach at the U or A! 

hogfan47

Doc has won everyplace he has coached
C L martin

Fort Smith Ark    

start the healing process now

jkelly107

Doc would be a great choice

BRC0180

March 18, 2007, 10:51:53 am #46 Last Edit: March 18, 2007, 10:56:44 am by BRC0180
Quote from: sechawgfan on March 18, 2007, 01:00:45 am
No way in hell they hire Doc......... I knew Doc back in HS days, but he is no where near ready for this job.  What in the world makes you think he is.......... Im glad your not on the search committe.
[/quote

No where near ready?  Here is what makes me think he is

20+ years of college coaching experience
Successful Head Coaching experience
Successful Recruiting Experience
NCAA tourney experience
Ability to assemble/recognize a great staff
He is no where near ready to you, but he was more than ready (about $700,000.00 X 6 yrs worth of ready) to the same AD who hired Ben Howland and Jamie Dixon.  But by judging from your absurd comments I don't even expect you to know who those guys are.  Hear is a hint for you, one coached in the national championship game last year against florida, the other is the Head Coach at Pitt who turned down Indiana.  Doc was ready enough for that AD, but not you.  I guess your standards are higher than BCG.  He thought Doc was ready enough to bring him to UTEP to replace him (knowing almost a year in advance he was going to College Station,) repaying a favor to Doc (Doc thought BCG was "somewhere near ready enough" to recommend Self to hire BCG.)  Glad Doc's, Self's, BCG, Peterson's, standards are not up to your lofty standards, the world still might know who BCG is.

Your blowing out your @ss.  While you were doing whatever it is you do (obviously not following college basketball) Doc was paying dues and making a well deserved name for himself in college basketball. 

Like I have said many times, if we can hire Self/BCG lets do it.  If we can't let us at least consider the guy they will both recommend.  Don't hold it against a guy because he is from Arkansas.  If you know anything about Doc you know he has not been pampered or given anything.  He has busted his tail every step of the way, earned any/everything that came his way.  There is no comparision to his experience and HDN's. 

Ask yourself this question, If Doc:
beat Texas Tech at Lubbock,
Swept Missouri
beat Kansas State
beat Oklahoma State
loses to Texas by 1 (in Austin)
with basically an NAIA team and a good post man;  what could he do with the group up on the hill?   

arkyvol

like him or not, calipari is one hell of a proven commodity (and his players graduate!)

Anon2

Let's see if we can trade Nutt for Doc.

byvark

If we are talking about up and coming in Doc Sadler, why not consider James Dickey at OSU, could be up and coming in right headcoach position, did reasonably well at Texas Tech considering the circumstances, and has Arkansas roots (Valley Springs).  Heck, he was mentored for years under Eddie Sutton.
I bleed Razorback Red...how about you?  If you are not PASSIONATE about being a HOG fan, what's the deal?