Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Self or Gillispie as new head Hog coach?

Started by pigmania, March 17, 2007, 02:03:36 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

If Self and Gillispie both wanted to come here. Which one would you prefer?

Self
113 (55.7%)
Gillispie
90 (44.3%)

Total Members Voted: 186

Voting closed: March 20, 2007, 02:03:36 pm

pigmania

I prefer Self as my first choice. How bout you?

Space Man

Dwight_K_Shrute

My heart breaks that one of my all time favorite NCAA coaches is no longer alive or he would be my first choice.

The one the only Dick Fick.  Back in the earlier days of Sports Center this guy would get on TV all the time just because the announcers loved saying his name.  He would also turn 3 shades of red when he was pissed.
Little known fact, but prior to settling on Guantanamo, the Pentagon wanted to house terror suspects at War Memorial Stadium.  It was deemed to be cruel and unusual punishment and in violation of the Geneva Convention.

RhodeHog

Either.  I'm so sick of not seeing fundamentals taught that I'd take just about anybody right now.  However, between those two I would choose Gillispie.

501Ben

pigmania

501Ben

I just think Self could recruit better and be more of long term coach.

RhodeHog

Quote from: 501Ben on March 17, 2007, 02:19:48 pm

You could be right, but either one would be so much better than what we have now.

#1nutthater

Quote from: Dwight_K_Shrute on March 17, 2007, 02:13:08 pm
My heart breaks that one of my all time favorite NCAA coaches is no longer alive or he would be my first choice.

The one the only Dick Fick.  Back in the earlier days of Sports Center this guy would get on TV all the time just because the announcers loved saying his name.  He would also turn 3 shades of red when he was pissed.

I met Dick Fick at nolans golf tournament in '98, the man is a riot!!

Toad Suck Pork

The focus is on the Bills right now, and rightfully so.  But hypothetically speaking, who might be a #3 option if the Bill's say no?

Factual Fiction

any coach who has at least one set offensive play..................................

pigmania

Quote from: js1717 on March 17, 2007, 02:22:04 pm
The focus is on the Bills right now, and rightfully so.  But hypothetically speaking, who might be a #3 option if the Bill's say no?
Since everyone is throwing out mid major coach's names. How about Sean Miller.

Toad Suck Pork

The Winthrop coach (Marshall) intrigues me.  However I am at the point now where I want a sure thing as a coach and to know we are going to be a force in basketball again.  I almost hope that whoever is "AD" up there now calls Self and Gillespie and tells them to name a price and it's yours.

Cajun Hog

cubbie

How about both. We need all the help we can get
If you were a Hotdog would you eat yourself? I know I would.

STRILE

"Strile is critical to Hogville.  He accounts for 0.00077% of all posts"  anonymous moderator

shake2005

March 17, 2007, 03:30:59 pm #16 Last Edit: March 17, 2007, 03:32:33 pm by shake2005
Someone explain why, realistically and with real facts why Self would leave KU.

Start with these facts.

KU will pay anything that Arkansas would, so that is no issue, KU's endowment is well over a billion dollars and you have to donate at least $1000 to the Ku Sports fund to even be put on the list to buy season tickets, and season tickets are sold out for years in advance.

Bill Self is not from Tulsa, he's from Edmond outside OKC where his dad was the highschool coach.

Bill Self met his wife at OSU and she is not from Arkansas.

Eddie Sutton does not consider himself a Razorback and Self's ties to Eddie are entirely at OSU, where Eddie went to school and where his name is on the court in the building named for his mentor. The only college Self might ever leave for is OSU, and that's a very long shot and Eddie's son is the coach anyway.

OSU is much better basketball school than Arkansas and OSU is no Kansas.

STRILE

"Strile is critical to Hogville.  He accounts for 0.00077% of all posts"  anonymous moderator

shake2005

Obviously they suck being a number one seed and winning the last game by 40

vol_in_ar

Go get the NC State coach, he already has the red blazer

STRILE

Quote from: shake2005 on March 17, 2007, 03:33:37 pm
Obviously they suck being a number one seed and winning the last game by 40
Basketball team is good, no doubt.  But that doesn't save KU from sucking.  Without the basketball team they would downgrade to suicidal.

pokerhog

Quote from: 501Ben on March 17, 2007, 02:19:48 pm

I guess you don't know any players Billy G' recruited? Remember all of those guards from Illinois? Those were his guys, the guy can flat out recruit.

HoustonwehaveaProblem

Quote from: shake2005 on March 17, 2007, 03:30:59 pm

Start with these facts.

KU will pay anything that Arkansas would, so that is no issue, KU's endowment is well over a billion dollars and you have to donate at least $1000 to the Ku Sports fund to even be put on the list to buy season tickets, and season tickets are sold out for years in advance.

Bill Self is not from Tulsa, he's from Edmond outside OKC where his dad was the highschool coach.

Eddie Sutton does not consider himself a Razorback and Self's ties to Eddie are entirely at OSU, where Eddie went to school and where his name is on the court in the building named for his mentor. The only college Self might ever leave for is OSU, and that's a very long shot and Eddie's son is the coach anyway.

How about this fact: Self loves Bud Walton Arena. Everytime he comes to BWA for the Holiday Hoops tournament he talks to our local reporters about how we have the best facility in the nation. Plus if he came to Fayetteville he wouldn't have to live in Kansas anymore.

shake2005

Post a single referenced quote where he said Bud Walton is the "best" One.

Come on.........

razorbacker80

I am giddy over the prospects of either of the Bills...  There isn't a bad choice here.

HoustonwehaveaProblem

Quote from: shake2005 on March 17, 2007, 04:06:16 pm
Post a single referenced quote where he said Bud Walton is the "best" One.

Come on.........

You haven't ever been to Bud Walton have you?

DOGALUM

Can I write in Pitino?   If not, I'd prefer Self.
A man who wouldn't cheat for a poke, don't want one bad enough!

HeathWimp

Neither will be comiing.  No source, just common sense.
11/19/2023:  Keeping my original semi-prophetic, apocalyptic signature below.  We continue to regret passing on Norvell, who is in the running for the Playoffs.  We continue regret passing on Kiffin, who is eyeing a New Years 6 game.  Heck, we regret passing on Drinkwitz (he may be a dork, but he will have his team in a New Years 6 game after they truck us on Black Friday).

Meanwhile, Sam is drinking Pittman, wondering if he has the leverage to re-hire Enos, Sexton is doing the triple Lindy into his Olympic-size pool full of cash, and thousands of hog fans are planning to dress up as empty seats for next year's Halloween game.

11/25/2018:  My original "Chad Morris" signature is below.  I'm modifying my view as follows:  We will continue to regret passing on Norvell and Kiffin.   After 3 years, when Morris is 10-26, we are going to be saying "What were we thinking?  Even Bert was better than this!"

shake2005

And where do you think Allen Fieldhouse ranks?

I can reference Allen being at least top two or three best and very often rated the number one arena for college basketball, and I can reference that dozens of times.

longtimeHogfan

Quote from: opineonswine on March 17, 2007, 04:13:23 pm
I like them both, but I'm going with Gillispie.

Yep, what he said.  But which ever one we could get first works for me.
I don't like to plan my day because then the word premeditated comes into the conversation.

shake2005

Still waiting on someone to find a single referenced quote by Bill Self on Bud Walton

Dugann

Of the two I think Self.  He seems to want to be here more, and Gillispie is more worried about the $.  I also like self and he has more of a proven track record IMO. 
By Gosh He Didn't Come Back To PAINT!!!!

shake2005

I am not, but your arena is no reason to leave when KU's arena is better, by almost every account you will ever find

mountainhog

pigmania

Quote from: shake2005 on March 17, 2007, 04:54:59 pm
I am not, but your arena is no reason to leave when KU's arena is better, by almost every account you will ever find
Allen Fieldhouse, while nice is not better than BWA. I have been there. It's a great environment to watch a college Bball game, but to say that BWA doesn't compare is ridiculous. By the way BWA seats 3,000 more fans than Allen.

WestMemphisHogFan

I voted for Self...but would be tickled to have either one of them.

hawgsav1

Look, Self will not come. When he was at Illinois he would have come. Look what he has at Kansas. I'm a diehard Hog fan but they have a looooooong tradition of greatness, comparable if not greater than the Hogs (I think BWA is better than Allen but not by that much).  His talent level and his teams are regularly highly seeded and he doesn't really have any incentive to to come. Gillespie on the other hand always keeps his stuff packed and is known to be looking for a way up and if you heard what he said about A&M basketball it could possibly perceived as a minor slight towards A&M.  Rick Pitino has a bigger chance of coming here than Self, and I don't think he will because he wants to continue and build what he has. However, I think a good coaching candidate is the current Illinois coach, Bruce Weber.  Another good candidate is the VaTech coach, i forget his name. He pulled a Gillespie in the ACC and now his VaTech teams regularly beat the Dukes, the BC, and the UNC.
Revenge is a dish best served cold. - Klingon Proverb

pigmania

Quote from: hawgsav1 on March 17, 2007, 05:29:55 pm
Look, Self will not come. When he was at Illinois he would have come. Look what he has at Kansas. I'm a diehard Hog fan but they have a looooooong tradition of greatness, comparable if not greater than the Hogs (I think BWA is better than Allen but not by that much).  His talent level and his teams are regularly highly seeded and he doesn't really have any incentive to to come. Gillespie on the other hand always keeps his stuff packed and is known to be looking for a way up and if you heard what he said about A&M basketball it could possibly perceived as a minor slight towards A&M.  Rick Pitino has a bigger chance of coming here than Self, and I don't think he will because he wants to continue and build what he has. However, I think a good coaching candidate is the current Illinois coach, Bruce Weber.  Another good candidate is the VaTech coach, i forget his name. He pulled a Gillespie in the ACC and now his VaTech teams regularly beat the Dukes, the BC, and the UNC.
Bruce Weber wouldn't be a bad choice.

shake2005

Quote from: pigmania on March 17, 2007, 05:43:45 pm
Quote from: hawgsav1 on March 17, 2007, 05:29:55 pm
Bruce Weber wouldn't be a bad choice.

You have just proved beyond any doubt that you know nothing about college basketball, Weber is a spineless trainwreck.

Kid drives drunk (second player in six months), hit a tree, drives home. Thinks other player in passenger seat IS DEAD AND LEAVES HIM there for TWO hours. More players come (and maybe an assistant coach) come out to see the car. NO ONE calls 911. Hurt player in passenger seat who was only knocked out, comes too and starts honking the horn. The people next door then call 911. Look it up. And no one was kicked off the team

pigfeet

kansas_hawgcaller

I'm a Hawg fan in the middle of KU territory and we have as much chance of getting Self as we would getting Coach K, Ben Holland, or Billy Donovan.
Self makes more money by accident in Lawrence than he would on purpose in the hills. Plus, KU is one of the premier basketball jobs in the country and unfortunately UA is not. I don't know Gillespies feelings about being an Aggie but at least its a possibility. Self is not!!

There are a lot of names to be had. Dana Altman has won at Creighton regularly, Turgeon rebuilt Wichita State, Bo Ryan at Wisconsin, and whoever the hell coaches at Butler. Let's just get it right this time by taking time.

Darren DeLoach

weber is on shaky ground in illinois like heath is here---can not recruit is the local concensus.
ο λογος υμων παντοτε εν χαριτι αλατι ηρτυμενος ειδεναι πως δει υμας ενι εκαστω αποκρινεσθαι

vol_in_ar

Bo Ryan's not leaving Wisconsin..
He's was born in Wisconsin, and has coached in the state for 30 years

pokerhog

Quote from: HeathWimp on March 17, 2007, 04:22:22 pm

Well, you're wrong. There have been many sources saying that those are the top 2 choices. There have also been many sources that have said BG DOES have interest.

shake2005

Start with these facts.

So, no real reason at all for Self to come, no one came up with anything.

Do you think that could be telling?

newTUfan

Quote from: pokerhog on March 17, 2007, 06:45:33 pm
Quote from: HeathWimp on March 17, 2007, 04:22:22 pm

Well, you're wrong. There have been many sources saying that those are the top 2 choices. There have also been many sources that have said BG DOES have interest.
Top two choices have nothing to do with it.
Why would someone leave a top ten program, A&M or KU, to come to NWA and the fan base that can't stand most of its coaches no matter what they do.  FB- 10 wins not enough; BB- lifting the program off the mat and making it respectable again not enough.

jbcarol

I can't believe that Self is leading this poll.
Curated SEC Infotainment and aggregated college sports updates where it just means more on Hogville.net

newTUfan

Hong Kong Sooey

Self is just a smokescreen people.  We aren't really interested in him.  Gillispie is our man, and should be.

HoustonwehaveaProblem

Quote from: shake2005 on March 17, 2007, 08:16:02 pm

Start with these facts.

So, no real reason at all for Self to come, no one came up with anything.

Do you think that could be telling?

Flashback to a few years ago. Did you think that Roy Williams would have ever left Kansas? Probably not.