Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Looks like Tubby is out

Started by CCU Cougar, February 26, 2007, 06:57:07 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Ironhawg

Quote from: Fresh Legs™ on February 26, 2007, 07:07:14 pm
I'm still telling you guys that if Gillespie, Self, Barnes, Pitino, etc all turn us down I would take Tubby.  Been saying for as much as a week or two.  It's not my first choice but I'd rather have him than Doc Sadler, Sutton, or some "up and comer" who is coaching at Illinois Tech-School of Science right now.

He'd get us back into the tournament and brings two key factors to the table-intensity and experience.

Aren't Tubby and Nolan real tight?  I would be surprised if Tubby gave JFB the time of day.

jbcarol

Quote from: Ironhawg on March 06, 2007, 10:45:27 pm
I'm still telling you guys that if Gillespie, Self, Barnes, Pitino, etc all turn us down I would take Tubby.  Been saying for as much as a week or two.  It's not my first choice but I'd rather have him than Doc Sadler, Sutton, or some "up and comer" who is coaching at Illinois Tech-School of Science right now.

He'd get us back into the tournament and brings two key factors to the table-intensity and experience.

Aren't Tubby and Nolan real tight?  I would be surprised if Tubby gave JFB the time of day.

I wrote earlier that Tubby would never entertain going to NWA after his conversations with Nolan who he looked up to as a trailblazer in the South and Southwest.  Then I remembered that JFB was no longer in the same position he was earlier.  Tubby like Nolan so much he invited him to a closed practice to see his #1 overall seed Wildcats prepare for the 2004 NCAA-T.  Then, Nolan sat behind Mike Anderson's bench and gave or pretended to give hand signals the whole game as UAB pulled off a one-point upset.  Maybe Nolan was wanting to be like Jerry Jones and have some "visible if not real involvement."
Curated SEC Infotainment and aggregated college sports updates where it just means more on Hogville.net

jbcarol

Quote from: HogsGranpa on March 06, 2007, 10:23:43 pm

What is wrong with Sean Sutton?. 

He is a winner, going back to the NCAA, HC experience at a basketball school, and young, but old enough to maintains respect from college age basketball players.

It's a little personal with Mr. jb, but when KY was one more evasive answer away from the NCAA death penalty, Sean Sutton's name was on multiple findings.  I bring those back up as it has been 20 years.  The NCAA.org site keeps those things online for research purposes.  He was the undeserving starting PG for those that don't remember.  Eddie Sutton came off appearing as an unwitting dupe rather than a ringmaster.  People can change a lot in 20 years.  Also just a health question.  As Okla St. was going into yet overtime recently Sean almost went down at point and had to be caught by the assistants and steadied like a boxer taking a right cross.  Otherwise seems like a good guy.
Curated SEC Infotainment and aggregated college sports updates where it just means more on Hogville.net

McKdaddy

Quote from: jbcarol on March 07, 2007, 05:30:10 am
Quote from: HogsGranpa on March 06, 2007, 10:23:43 pm

What is wrong with Sean Sutton?. 

He is a winner, going back to the NCAA, HC experience at a basketball school, and young, but old enough to maintains respect from college age basketball players.

It's a little personal with Mr. jb, but when KY was one more evasive answer away from the NCAA death penalty, Sean Sutton's name was on multiple findings.  I bring those back up as it has been 20 years.  The NCAA.org site keeps those things online for research purposes.  He was the undeserving starting PG for those that don't remember.  Eddie Sutton came off appearing as an unwitting dupe rather than a ringmaster.  People can change a lot in 20 years.  Also just a health question.  As Okla St. was going into yet overtime recently Sean almost went down at point and had to be caught by the assistants and steadied like a boxer taking a right cross.  Otherwise seems like a good guy.
I'm not sure Sean is a hot commodity on the job market anyway--he took an osu team w/ most players returning from last year (no depth on the team however as injuries and academic casualties mounted up, only played about 7 guys per game), started 15-1, finished 20-11 (6-10 in big 12).  They are the only D-1 team w/ a winning record this year to not win a game on the road.  Additionally, I believe I read where they are only one of 4 or 5 D-1 teams ever to win 20 AND not win a road game during the season.  Osu fans over here are losing patience.
Don't buy upgrades, ride up grades.

"You are everything that is wrong with this place . . . Ban me"

"CPI, ex-food and energy, is only good for an anorexic pedestrian"--Art Cashin

jbcarol

Quote from: dmac_iz_kin on March 06, 2007, 10:27:26 pm
This brings the question to my mind. Has something happend to college basketball, duke is not that good, Lsu, alot of teams have grossly underacheived.  Coaches talked about getting fired. SEC way down. is it parity? is it lack of effort maybe watching NBA players play no defense?

Great post.  Something is going on with basketball in the country that invented it and used to own it.  Our NBA all-stars are not bringing home the Gold Medal.  (Time to take drastic measures, send the coach and best 6-7 players off the NBA championship team and supplement with the best available players to fill the roles that are needed to win and not stroke egos).

In college there is the 20-hour rule.  You can only have organized practice 20 hours a week organized when class is in session.  That's not a brand new rule.  But in other countries there is no such rule.  But the individual player and groups of players if they choose can work out on their own beyond the 20 hours.  I think that is putting College basketball at a disadvantage in the US and makes taking a risk a better choice for kids who are not going to be Chemical Engineers.

At the lower level I hear AAU and the shoe camps get blamed.  But it is more chances to play for the kids, build skills and build exposure.  H.S. baskeball again is too constrained by shorteness of season and available practice time.  Team elements of helping a kid get free and get a good shot are missing and that's why a Bobby Knight is still hanging around, still on the bubble even this year.

There is better nutritiion, better conditioning methods, better weight training, better facilities, better everything.  Just don't go back and watch tape of Arkansas or Kentucky between 1990 and 1998 or you will get sick watching the skill level and intensity versus today.

You see these SEC First, Second, and Third round all-teamers not even get drafted year after year and it seems to make no difference to the kids.  There seems to be an increased love of some "things associated with being around basketball" and less love for the game.  I maybe old school here.  But in '02-03 and '03-04 with noboby anyone associated with being a future Hall of Famer much less an NBA starter on his teams, Tubby Smith had a collection of guys who only wanted to win.  They went a combined 59-9 with a couple of #1 seeds.

Florida is like that now with a different strategy.  Recruit a team whose core are the sons of former athletes.  The kids are already well off and connected.  They will stay for another year as the school will let us stay in a house where the party is always on and when we hit the court and the game counts, we mean business.  They toyed with a hard playing Kentucky team last Sunday.

Don't know the answer.  Hope it runs in cycles and that the peak was not hit in the 1990's.

HoopS

Been on the record with ya Fresh Legs.   I'd take him over several names I've heard tossed out.    He knows the S.
E.C.   We rarely beat him.   He gets themm into the tourney and has made deep runs.    He'd probably be looking to show they made a mistake.   I'd take him.

jbcarol

Quote from: HoopSlap on March 07, 2007, 06:37:50 am
Been on the record with ya Fresh Legs.   I'd take him over several names I've heard tossed out.    He knows the S.
E.C.   We rarely beat him.   He gets themm into the tourney and has made deep runs.    He'd probably be looking to show they made a mistake.   I'd take him.

Love the Avatar.  I don't think he is leaving.

HoopS

Quote from: jbcarol on March 07, 2007, 06:39:18 am
Been on the record with ya Fresh Legs.   I'd take him over several names I've heard tossed out.    He knows the S.E.C.  We rarely beat him.   He gets them into the tourney and has made deep runs.    He'd probably be looking to show they made a mistake.   I'd take him.

Special pic ain't it?    8)

I would be surprised if he is out myself.  They will be like Syracuse..... not make a huge amount of noise in the regular season, end up in the sweet 16.   Seems like 'Cuse always does that.  Wouldn't be surprised if the Cats get hot and win a couple.

jbcarol

Quote from: HoopSlap on March 07, 2007, 06:49:16 am
Quote from: jbcarol on March 07, 2007, 06:39:18 am
Been on the record with ya Fresh Legs.   I'd take him over several names I've heard tossed out.    He knows the S.E.C.  We rarely beat him.   He gets them into the tourney and has made deep runs.    He'd probably be looking to show they made a mistake.   I'd take him.

Special pic ain't it?    8)

I would be surprised if he is out myself.  They will be like Syracuse..... not make a huge amount of noise in the regular season, end up in the sweet 16.   Seems like 'Cuse always does that.  Wouldn't be surprised if the Cats get hot and win a couple.

I agree.  Only difference is Cats won't get that 1-2 seed this year :)

booogaga

GO HOGS!

Trottsky

Why, when I hear that KY may be looking for a coach, do I hear the song "Crawling King Snake" in the back of my mind? Eddie!!

TushCrush

I'd love to see Tubby come to Arkansas.
I'd rather choke on my own spit than see Sadler or either of the Suttons here.

Bomis Hawg

Tubby Smith gone.  Rich Brooks still there.
Sounds like another situation.

pigfeet

I also would like to say Hell No to Tubby too.

Conway Cool Daddy

I'd stick with Stan over Tubby. It would be hard to turn away a big name coach, but I don't think Tubby is what we are looking for. No sense in making a change just to make a change.

Conway Cool Daddy

Quote from: Fresh Legs™ on March 12, 2007, 12:39:01 pm
Quote from: Conway Cool Daddy on March 12, 2007, 12:32:25 pm

I'd stick with Stan over Tubby. It would be hard to turn away a big name coach, but I don't think Tubby is what we are looking for. No sense in making a change just to make a change.

I agree but at the time it looked nearly certain that we would be hiring a new coach.  I'm not the one who will be pulling the trigger.  If a change is to be made and you can't get your 'A' list don't hire Doc Sadler or Sutton.  Save me the trouble and shut the program down. 
You would have to believe there were "feelers" sent out to several on our list. I wonder what kind of response we received from the parties involved. It would be interesting to see if a high profile coach was actually interested before our run and if we would still make the change regardless of how well the team has done lately.

jbcarol

Irrelevant.  As I posted and predicted earlier, KY AD Mitch Barnhart announced today that Tubby Smith is "our" coach and will be back next season.  Got to run.  No time for the link.

jbcarol

Here is the link.  KY AD says "Tubby is our coach".  The between the lines interpretation is that many of Tubby's current assistants need to get their resumes in order.

http://www.kentucky.com/mld/kentucky/sports/16889372.htm

jbcarol

Quote from: jbcarol on March 12, 2007, 08:50:59 pm
Here is the link.  KY AD says "Tubby is our coach".  The between the lines interpretation is that many of Tubby's current assistants need to get their resumes in order.

http://www.kentucky.com/mld/kentucky/sports/16889372.htm

If the Kentucky staff next year is David Hobbs, Buzz Peterson, Rod Barnes, and ... Stan Heath (UK needs a recruiter), you will know where Tubby's heart is.

helmet

And we would beat Kentucky every year.

xteri

I'd hate to coach there.

Anything less than perfection is tantamount to being satan.

jbcarol

Quote from: anonyhog on March 17, 2007, 07:14:02 pm
I'd hate to coach there.

Anything less than perfection is tantamount to being satan.

Rupp and Pitino are the only coaches there in the last 80 years to have the gravitas to not let the fan base visibly bother them.  At the end, Eddie Sutton looked like he had been President of the United States:  for two terms.