Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Looks like Tubby is out

Started by CCU Cougar, February 26, 2007, 06:57:07 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

PiggoBitttys

Yep, on Tubby's call in show he normally does, basically he protected himself, didn't take callers like he always does. They're turning on him in UK, he will be out UNLESS he makes a run in the NCAA tourney, meaning Sweet 16 or Elite 8 atleast.

Their own AD said it will be addressed AFTER the season. He's saying he knows UK's fans lofty expectations, which he shares, have not been met. He says historically seasons change a lot between February and March, so he says to see what happens, then they'll assess the situation.

Which basically means, Tubby better make a big splash in the Dance or he's done. Hope they don't go after BG, but I think they have bigger names to get.

Granny fan

Why aren't we taking notes, for BOTH FB and BB.

sowmonella

Not trying to brag or make anyone jealous but I can still fit into the same pair of socks I wore in high school.
Proud member since August 2003

UK looking while we are looking worries me. I really do believe there are only a handful of schools that out rank us in what we have to offer, prestige, etc., but UK is one of them.

RhodeHog

Let me be the first to say on this thread NO TO TUBBY!

fu-man-soo

i hope kentucky doesnt beat us to bg

razrken

If we paid Tubby 3 million a year it would be worth every penny.  If UK fires him they are stupid...he is one of the best bench coaches in America.

ballhog™

I'd want tubby before mike anderson.
Touchdown Arkansas! Oh My! --Paul Eells- Voice of the Razorbacks-Southern Gentleman

I do believe you have to be able to run the football when you want to, run the football when you have to. I believe you have to be able to throw the football when you want to, and throw the football when you have to.  --Former Razorback Head Football Coach Bobby Petrino.

RhodeHog

Quote from: Fresh Legs™ on February 26, 2007, 07:14:09 pm
Quote from: RhodeHog on February 26, 2007, 07:13:12 pm

If we don't get that top four or five names, would you rather hire Doc Sadler?  Gimme a break.

He would be at 3rd on my list.

PiggoBitttys

Quote from: razrken on February 26, 2007, 07:15:18 pm
If we paid Tubby 3 million a year it would be worth every penny.  If UK fires him they are stupid...he is one of the best bench coaches in America.

Go to a UK board and post that. Tubby has done less there than their other coaches. He's done great for most programs, but not for UK. UK has very high standards as they probably should. He's not lived up to them once he lost Pitino's players.

upperdeck_hawg

tubby is a great coach, it's his recruiting that has suffered
I don't hate the guy.  He's a great Hog, and a needed contributor.  I despise that he does not understand his role as a complimentary player puts an absolute ceiling on this team.

-ErieHog on Devo Davis

RhodeHog

Tubby can't recruit as good as Heath, but he can out coach him any day.  I want a guy that can do both.

rude1

Quote from: Fresh Legs™ on February 26, 2007, 07:07:14 pm
I'm still telling you guys that if Gillespie, Self, Barnes, Pitino, etc all turn us down I would take Tubby.  Been saying for as much as a week or two.  It's not my first choice but I'd rather have him than Doc Sadler, Sutton, or some "up and comer" who is coaching at Illinois Tech-School of Science right now.

He'd get us back into the tournament and brings two key factors to the table-intensity and experience.
Thanks but no thanks, if the guy can't recruit to KY and win, what makes you think he can come here and do something that he couldn't do at KY?

booogaga

hell tubby can come to arkansas if he wants.
GO HOGS!

TRUHOG718

Hell yeah some good ol fashioned Sec house cleaning..!!!!
http://www.sicollection.com/assets/images/nolan_richardson_300.jpg

One Day. We Will Be Back. I Promise You This.

Hollywood_HOGan

i'd like to have smith a LOT more than some of the other candidates.

SMith>Self

94 Hawg

Be thankful we're not getting all the government we're paying for.
~ Will Rogers

KAHog

Realize this may be a true blog, but had to comment on one thing.  How sad is a reputible source of UT information that he is haveing his meet and greets at the Smoothie King?????

secfan30

Quote from: RhodeHog on February 26, 2007, 07:19:28 pm
Tubby can't recruit as good as Heath, but he can out coach him any day.  I want a guy that can do both.

+1 Such a true comment

stan the man

Did anyone read on down regarding Tennessee being excited about running the HUNH offense?  Quite interesting.  Go back to the article and scroll down.

pignatious

I'm still telling you guys that if Gillespie, Self, Barnes, Pitino, etc all turn us down I would take Tubby.  Been saying for as much as a week or two.  It's not my first choice but I'd rather have him than Doc Sadler, Sutton, or some "up and comer" who is coaching at Illinois Tech-School of Science right now.

He'd get us back into the tournament and brings two key factors to the table-intensity and experience.

I'd take Tubby right now, no question about it. He is a winner. The list you have is who we should be calling.
Freedom is never free.

Tone

IF they turn us down, don't you mean WHEN they turn us down.  I just don't see any big name coach coming here.  It is not how it has been done before and especially given the unrest in the AD position.  Who would want to come to a job when they don't know who their boss is going to be?  Who would want to deal with Frank for 6 months?

Fayetnam

Tubby is a good guy! Hope he lands on his feet somewhere, then gets a chance to break it off up KY's .....nose! ;D

hog.goblin

Quote from: Tone-Loc on February 26, 2007, 09:02:29 pm
IF they turn us down, don't you mean WHEN they turn us down.  I just don't see any big name coach coming here.  It is not how it has been done before and especially given the unrest in the AD position.  Who would want to come to a job when they don't know who their boss is going to be?  Who would want to deal with Frank for 6 months?

That truth makes me nervous as well.  And if KY is another option, I fear we play second fiddle among the interested coaches.

pignatious

Not having an AD in place is going to hurt for sure. Should have told Broyles to go quickly instead of waiting til the end of the year. That is a huge mistake.
Freedom is never free.

Table Rocker

Quote from: KAHog on February 26, 2007, 08:21:45 pm
Realize this may be a true blog, but had to comment on one thing.  How sad is a reputible source of UT information that he is haveing his meet and greets at the Smoothie King?????
LOL

Hogoman

I dont know who called that time out.

jbcarol

Remember, Mr. jb is down on the Tubster.

However, with no disrespect when you read, "if he does not make it to the sweet sixteen he is probably gone."  He almost always at least makes it to the sweet sixteen.  Last year was a close UConn loss and 2004 was the UAB (with an assist from Nolan?) aberration. 

However, Sweet 16 will not cut it at UK.
Curated SEC Infotainment and aggregated college sports updates where it just means more on Hogville.net

PiggoBitttys

Quote from: jbcarol on February 26, 2007, 09:47:48 pm

However, with no disrespect when you read, "if he does not make it to the sweet sixteen he is probably gone."  He almost always at least makes it to the sweet sixteen.  Last year was a close UConn loss and 2004 was the UAB (with an assist from Nolan?) aberration. 

Well, would Elite 8 be more appropriate? I saw your AD's comments on another board from a UK fan. He said (paraphrasing) if some of those February close losses turn into postseason wins, then it will be OK. Now, he didn't say exactly how many postseason wins. I figured at the least Tubby would have to win 2 games in the tourney, but I also said or Elite 8 because I wasn't completely sure.

jbcarol

Quote from: PiggoBitttys on February 26, 2007, 09:54:15 pm
Quote from: jbcarol on February 26, 2007, 09:47:48 pm

Well, would Elite 8 be more appropriate? I saw your AD's comments on another board from a UK fan. He said (paraphrasing) if some of those February close losses turn into postseason wins, then it will be OK. Now, he didn't say exactly how many postseason wins. I figured at the least Tubby would have to win 2 games in the tourney, but I also said or Elite 8 because I wasn't completely sure.

He's not my AD but how long did they hang with Brooks?  I did not mean your post but Smith has been in his share of Elite 8's at KY as well and at some schools one of those will get a guy hired on the spot.  I'm actually a Hawg fan.  It's my husband who is disgusted with KY situation.
Curated SEC Infotainment and aggregated college sports updates where it just means more on Hogville.net

brodie_hawg

It has been reported several times lately that the administration is going to put the money on the table to get a good coach.  what prevented a proven coach hire the last time was a "search committee".  You can not hire a proven coach that way.  No search committee this time.

jbcarol

A national scribe had a category in the preseason that said it best "Coaches on the hot seat who simply will not be fired."  Tubby Smith was tops of the list.

Great guy in the community.  He sent his third son to play for Ole Miss.  His wife knows Ashley Judd.  The people who hate him are not the 10,000 people seated closest to him on the floor at Rupp.  They are paying the freight with "contributions" that supplement their season ticket prices.  If any one of them wants to protest, there are 10,000 more on the waiting list.  Butts in seats is not a problem.

I will choose not to bring up a racial angle in the discussion with Tubby.  Most of the people who attend the big tournament settings is the only game they get to see live all year.  Some of them have racial motives.  Mostly they are prejudiced against boring basketball.

Unless he dips much closer to .500 and that will not happen this year, Tubby is safe in Lexington.  Tubby will leave on his own acccord.  The right NBA situation might be that ticket.  But he needs to get on a roll to be more marketable.  KY is No. 10 in RPI right now.  2nd toughest schedule in nation.

Mr. Joe Craft of Tulsa built KY a $20M basketball practice facility.  Biggest capital check in history of UK sports.  His reason for giving:  Relationship built with Tubby Smith when he was at Tulsa.

jbcarol

Quote from: Fayetnam on February 26, 2007, 09:11:13 pm
Tubby is a good guy! Hope he lands on his feet somewhere, then gets a chance to break it off up KY's .....nose! ;D

Mr. jb is not a fan of how Tubby Smith has mismanaged KY basketball in the last couple of years.  Mr. jb is a fan of Mr. Orlando Smith as a human being.

I know KY fans set a high bar of expectation.  I have just as high a bar if not higher for the Hawgs as well.  I am just not sure who our AD is right now.

A few facts related to a double-standard applied to Smith vs. other coaches in other expectations.  It is what makes some of names mentioned as possible UK replacements so amusing:

From '02-03 to '04-05 UK under Tubby went 15-3 in games decided by 5 points or less.  That spoils fans.  Mr. jb likes being spoiled.  UK is 6-12 over the last 2 years.

Tubby has taken KY to the elite "8" in '98, '99, '03, and '05 ('98 was a National Championship).
Some schools will hire a guy who has ever taken a team to an elite "8" whether he recruited the players on that team or not.  Sweet "16" also in '01 and '02 (nicknamed Team Turmoil).

Tubby will lose ten games for the 5th time at KY.  Indiana has lost 10 games every year but one since 1994.

In the past five NCAA Tournaments Duke has advanced past the round of 16 one time.

Kansas has lost in the first round in the last two NCAA tournaments.  Tubby has not lost in the first round at KY ever.

No. Carolina went 8-20 in '02.  Only Sutton could rival that kind of record at KY. 

In the last 5 years at UofL, Pitino has been in NIT twice.  Tubby always in NCAA tourney at UK.

UK's higher ranking under Tubby for years readily available (2005 was a good year):

1998: Coaches #1;  1999: Coaches #5;  2000:  AP #19;  2001:  Coaches #8;  2002: Coaches #13;
2003: AP #1;  2004: AP #2.

Tubby Smith overall regular season SEC championships outright or tied:  6 (of 9)
Tubby Smith SEC Tournament Championships:  5 (of 9)

Tubby Smith in 2003:  26 straight wins.  SEC regular season 16-0.  Conference champs (19-0)
In Regional Tournament a dirty Australian veteran player (Kirk Penney) cold cocks UK's only All-American Keith Bogans causing Bogans to severely sprain his ankle.  KY beats Penney and Wisconsin anyway.  KY loses Regional final to a tough Marquette team with Bogans trying to contribute.  A National Championship caliber team.  May Penney toil forever in the minor leagues of basketball :)

On his terms I would like to see Tubby move on for his sake.  I want him to do what he wants (successfully coach an NBA team).  Not before that special UK alum has agreed to come in and be the bridge until the young buck who is not quite ready yet comes in to lead UK to the future.

And by the way, let's get Arkansas a good coach and an AD too.

cmoorehogs

He's averaging 24 wins a year at Kentucky in 10 years, how is he not winning at Kentucky. He's 241-71 at Kentucky, 365-133 overall. They won 1 national title, 5 SEC titles, 5 SEC tournament titles, and have been in the Sweet 16 6 times in his ten years at kentucky. The man is a winner. Arkansas would take him in a second if he would come here.

mayjumpoffwagon

Quote from: RhodeHog on February 26, 2007, 07:13:12 pm

second, third, fourth, fifth, sixth, etc, etc THAT statement.

jbcarol

March 06, 2007, 07:16:32 pm #36 Last Edit: March 06, 2007, 07:19:41 pm by jbcarol
Quote from: jbcarol on February 27, 2007, 01:51:22 pm
A national scribe had a category in the preseason that said it best "Coaches on the hot seat who simply will not be fired."  Tubby Smith was tops of the list.

Great guy in the community.  He sent his third son to play for Ole Miss.  His wife knows Ashley Judd.  The people who hate him are not the 10,000 people seated closest to him on the floor at Rupp.  They are paying the freight with "contributions" that supplement their season ticket prices.  If any one of them wants to protest, there are 10,000 more on the waiting list.  Butts in seats is not a problem.

I will choose not to bring up a racial angle in the discussion with Tubby.  Most of the people who attend the big tournament settings is the only game they get to see live all year.  Some of them have racial motives.  Mostly they are prejudiced against boring basketball.

Unless he dips much closer to .500 and that will not happen this year, Tubby is safe in Lexington.  Tubby will leave on his own acccord.  The right NBA situation might be that ticket.  But he needs to get on a roll to be more marketable.  KY is No. 10 in RPI right now.  2nd toughest schedule in nation.

Mr. Joe Craft of Tulsa built KY a $20M basketball practice facility.  Biggest capital check in history of UK sports.  His reason for giving:  Relationship built with Tubby Smith when he was at Tulsa.

Hate to say I told you so!  "Tubby will leave on his own accord/terms."  Today Tubby announced that he will be the coach to return Kentucky to dominance.  There was no response from the Athletic Dept.

http://www.kentucky.com/mld/kentucky/16845632.htm

That's because the AD is setting the table to get rid of some dead weight off the asst. coaching staff:

http://www.kentucky.com/mld/kentucky/sports/16841770.htm

Fayetnam

Tubby has been hit hard by players leaving early! Tubby is a great X's and  O's floor coach, but when you loose that many player early over the last three years, it's gonna catch you with you!

hoggystyle78

I'll admit a couple of years ago I would've taken Tubby in a heartbeat. He for sure coaches with fire and animation, something Stan seems to be lacking in, but if he's not winning and recruiting big time at UK just what in the world makes you think he would do any better at Ark? I would like to see us go after Gillispie and Self hard then and only then would I go after Tubby JMO.

DEVIL DOG HOG

If Tubby leaves we won't be first in line for a big name coach.
I don't think Tubby would come here due to how  Arkansas handled the dismissal of NR.
"I love college football. It's the time of the year you can walk down the street with a girl on one arm and a blanket on the other, and nobody thinks twice about it." DUFFY DAUGHERTY

GO GREEN!

pignatious

Yes. I hope someone other than Broyles is talking to him right now about the possibility of coming here.
Freedom is never free.

SPAL

u better believe it fresh...im with you. Tubby is an upgrade.

southern hawg

Tubby as HC, Stan as Asst. (for recruiting purposes)

jbcarol

Quote from: Fayetnam on March 06, 2007, 08:35:21 pm
Tubby has been hit hard by players leaving early! Tubby is a great X's and  O's floor coach, but when you loose that many player early over the last three years, it's gonna catch you with you!

He's also been hit hard by players staying for four years :(

jbcarol

Quote from: DEVIL DOG HOG on March 06, 2007, 09:06:52 pm
If Tubby leaves we won't be first in line for a big name coach.
I don't think Tubby would come here due to how  Arkansas handled the dismissal of NR.

That is an absolute fact.  They were in close communication.

ndhog

If KY cans Tubby, then they will go after Gillespie and probably get him.  Unless AR gets him first. 

slopinhogs

tubby is getting gray around the gills sort of like FB. he's been there a long time and has caoached a while too. may be time to go golfing and fishing.
win lose or tie i'll call the hogs till i die

jbcarol

I think you guys misread the link above.  Tubby announced he will be back and will bring KY back to dominance. :) The AD is setting the table for Tubby to let loyalty go, unload some of the assistants who are not carrying their weight recruiting wise, and get some good assistants.  That's the story line.  If Tubby leaves it will be on his own terms.  I know he would like to go out a big winner, to get the next ring, a decent NBA job.  Tubby's biggest critic in the local press wrote a column saying you have to keep Tubby as well.

HogsGranpa

What is wrong with Sean Sutton?. 

He is a winner, going back to the NCAA, HC experience at a basketball school, and young, but old enough to maintains respect from college age basketball players.

dmac_iz_kin

This brings the question to my mind. Has something happend to college basketball, duke is not that good, Lsu, alot of teams have grossly underacheived.  Coaches talked about getting fired. SEC way down. is it parity? is it lack of effort maybe watching NBA players play no defense?
"it was a called play, and I called it. I called alot of good plays today didn't I chuck?!"