Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

UA vs ASU

Started by hogz11, December 12, 2013, 08:33:32 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

The Boar War

ASU is not in a position (financially) to forego the "scheduling money".  Just like Savannah State in basketball these programs depend on this money to stay afloat.

Hogfaniam

ASU has to much to lose.  They can make more playing elsewhere.  It's not a win win for either school.
"My dog Sam eats purple flowers"

popcornhog

Quote from: hogz11 on December 12, 2013, 08:33:32 pm
I've been debating this with some friends for quite a while now. They keep saying either a home & home or play every year at WMS. Here's how I see it happening (if it ever does) unless ASU elevates itself to a school better than the Sun Belt........

UA and ASU play every year in Fayetteville at DWRRS. UA pays ASU nothing or next to nothing, but allots them more tickets as the game will sell out easy. No way you do a home & home as the Hogs are not going to play in a stadium that seats about 30,000 and I mean no way ever. I get why fans would want to see it at WMS, but it will never happen there under the condition of the current facilities. Plus, I'm sure the WMS commission will want money for the game and you can forget that. The Hogs are already on there way out and may never return to WMS after the next five years.

Anyway, the game may never happen. But if it does, that's how I see it without some big wild card coming into play. Anyone think different?

We could play them or not play them. Who cares?
WPS

Arkfan

Quote from: go hogues on December 12, 2013, 08:48:47 pm
Nothing to gain. Everything to lose. No thanks.

Nothing to lose and everything to gain the way I see it.

If you're gonna play a Sunbelt team anyway play ASU at WMS.

If you don't want to see it don't buy a ticket. You probably aren't buying any now so it won't be any big deal.

Hogfaniam

Quote from: popcornhog on December 13, 2013, 07:36:35 am
We could play them or not play them. Who cares?

It would be fun and interesting and newsworthy within the state.  The problem is it doesn't make economic sense.    If Espn were to offer 2mil to each team for a game at WMS with ticket proceeds to go to the war memorial, then yeah.
"My dog Sam eats purple flowers"

jusgtohogs

You need new friends.  No REAL friend allows a discussion like this to continue.

Albert Einswine

Frank always gets blamed for the exclusion policy but it was actually John Barnhill's policy handed down to Frank and he saw the merits of it.

You don't voluntarily imperil your own market when there's no need to.
"Funny thing, I become a hell of a good fisherman when the trout decide to commit suicide." ~ John D. Voelker

Smithian

If it was a one time deal tied into a major fundraising drive for Arkansas Children's Hospital as some have recommended, I may listen. Still don't see how it can happen.

GuvHog

Quote from: PaGrape on December 12, 2013, 10:17:20 pm
IF they do play, it would have to be in Fayetteville!  WMS is too small.

I don't see them ever playing in Fayetteville because ASU would want a Home and Home deal and the U of A will never agree to that. If it does happen (which I seriously doubt), it will be in WMS.
Bleeding Razorback Red Since Birth!!!

hogsanity

Quote from: hogz11 on December 12, 2013, 08:33:32 pm
I've been debating this with some friends for quite a while now.

you need some new friends.
People ask me what I do in winter when there is no baseball.  I will tell you what I do. I stare out the window, and I wait for spring.

"Anything goes wrong, anything at all, your fault, my fault, nobodies fault, I'm going to blow your head off."  John Wayne in BIG JAKE

ricepig

Quote from: hogsanity on December 13, 2013, 09:56:50 am
you need some new friends.

Or some that are less argumentative.

my3boneheads

If the Hogs always want to put a Sunbelt team on the schedule it might as well be ASU. We play Lafayette, Troy, or Monroe every year so we might as well play ASU and keep the money in state. As far as the ones that say nothing to gain and everything to lose than quit play teams in the Sunbelt and schedule Rutgers every year. And to be honest  I would like to have a winning season and a bowl game like ASU.

GreenwayTigerHog

December 13, 2013, 10:23:45 am #62 Last Edit: December 13, 2013, 12:14:07 pm by GreenwayTigerHog
Ark St. has moved on to playing the higher ranked teams like the U, Auburn, and Mizzou now.  They've lost interest in scheduling lesser known teams like the Hogs. 

Hawk

Home & Home with a team like ASU could be alright. It looks like we are starting to recruit Arizona and Nevada a little more now-a-days....

code red

Why do these threads not go to the can??
"If what you did yesterday seems big, you haven't done anything today."  Dr. Lou

(notOM)Rebel123

Quote from: code red on December 13, 2013, 11:07:31 am
Why do these threads not go to the can??

Because they don't get the number of hits/posts in the can.
"Knowledge is Good"....Emil Faber

GolfNut57

Quote from: code red on December 13, 2013, 11:07:31 am
Why do these threads no go to the can??

Because Lanny is open minded enough to realize that just because people have differing views doesn't mean the subject should automatically be censored and thrown into the trashcan?

Or maybe because it was started by a Hog fan on the Hog board?

The only thing I find surprising is that the threads concerning ASU is that they haven't been moved to the General topics instead of being left on the front page of MMQB.
"Golf is deceptively simple and endlessly complicated; it satisfies the soul and frustrates the intellect. It is at the same time rewarding and maddening – and it is without a doubt the greatest game mankind has ever invented." Arnold Palmer.

(notOM)Rebel123

Quote from: Albert Einswine on December 13, 2013, 09:29:04 am
Frank always gets blamed for the exclusion policy but it was actually John Barnhill's policy handed down to Frank and he saw the merits of it.

You don't voluntarily imperil your own market when there's no need to.

Bingo!

Inhogswetrust

Quote from: GolfNut57 on December 13, 2013, 11:12:42 am
The only thing I find surprising is that the threads concerning ASU is that they haven't been moved to the General topics instead of being left on the front page of MMQB.

On this we can agree.
If I'm going to cheer players and coaches in victory, I damn sure ought to be man enough to stand with them in defeat.

"Why some people are so drawn to the irrational is something that has always puzzled me" - James Randi

prairiehogcompanion

Why didn't I think of that.

Dillar Dog

Quote from: GreenwayTigerHog on December 13, 2013, 10:23:45 am
Ark St. has moved on to playing the higher ranked teams like the U and Mizzou now.  They've lost interest in scheduling lesser known teams like the Hogs. 

Sadly, this is true.

Randy Cavender

The only way I the Hogs play ASU is in a national championship game for all the marbles. Of course, that isn't happening! rc

HAWG MAFIA

Quote from: Runt on December 12, 2013, 09:27:31 pm
I'm old and don't know much about computers, is there anyway the website can be fixed where if the letters ASU or Gus comes up it will automatically delete it.

Best idea I've heard in awhile

MtIndian

December 13, 2013, 03:08:57 pm #73 Last Edit: December 13, 2013, 03:40:10 pm by MtIndian
Quote from: ReddieHawg on December 12, 2013, 11:30:39 pm
What other sec program has a "rivalry" with a sun belt school? Lsu plays Tulane but that is a tradition that has been going on for decades. Kentucky plays western Kentucky but they were the only team in the sec that was worse than us so that's probably not a good model to follow. Arkansas is small enough as it is, there simply isn't any reason to run the risk, however slight, of losing in-state support to asu. The risk/reward and cost/benefit factors are not in the hogs' favor. The only argument I hear is "why not?" That's not a good enough argument. I want to hear reasons why arkansas should play asu, not complaints about why they don't.

Other SEC schools may not have a sunbelt team as a rival, but SEC teams do play SunBelt teams from their own state. I just looked at the last few years and found where Florida played Florida Atlantic, Vandy played Middle Tennessee, LSU played both ULM and ULL, Georgia plays future SunBelt Georgia Southern, and then there's the SEC schools who plays teams smaller than the SunBelt, Like Auburn vs Samford, Miss State vs Alcorn State and then again LSU will play any instate School, even McNeese State, but I know, that's different.

ricepig

Quote from: MtIndian on December 13, 2013, 03:08:57 pm
Other SEC schools may not have a sunbelt team as a rival, but SEC teams do play SunBelt teams from their own state. I just looked at the last few years and found where Florida played Florida Atlantic, Vandy played Middle Tennessee, LSU played both ULM and ULL, Georgia plays future SunBelt Georgia Southern, and then there's the SEC schools who plays teams smaller than the SunBelt, Like Auburn vs Samford, Miss State vs Alcorn State and then again LSU will play any instate Schooo, even McNeese State, but I know, that's different.

So, you signed up to tell us this, cool.

sportster365

Has a 7-18 record over the last two season brought us to succumb back to this? Entertaining playing ASU again, really??

thirrdegreetusker

Quote from: PaGrape on December 12, 2013, 10:17:20 pm
IF they do play, it would have to be in Fayetteville!  WMS is too small.

This^^^

It would be a sellout, so why not sell 72k tickets, instead of 56k?

MtIndian

Quote from: ricepig on December 13, 2013, 03:11:35 pm
So, you signed up to tell us this, cool.
No, I signed up last year, just never posted.
Love reading some of the pros and cons of this debate and just wanted to show there are other programs playing lesser schools.
I find most message boards are, think our way or you're completly wrong, so I try to keep my opinions to myself.

thirrdegreetusker

Quote from: Albert Einswine on December 13, 2013, 09:29:04 am

Might go back farther than that. I can find no record of us EVER playing them in the press guide, even when they were:

First District Agricultural and Mechanical College.

chitwnhog

Quote from: ReddieHawg on December 12, 2013, 11:30:39 pm
What other sec program has a "rivalry" with a sun belt school? Lsu plays Tulane but that is a tradition that has been going on for decades. Kentucky plays western Kentucky but they were the only team in the sec that was worse than us so that's probably not a good model to follow. Arkansas is small enough as it is, there simply isn't any reason to run the risk, however slight, of losing in-state support to asu. The risk/reward and cost/benefit factors are not in the hogs' favor. The only argument I hear is "why not?" That's not a good enough argument. I want to hear reasons why arkansas should play asu, not complaints about why they don't.

And until 1966 Tulane was a member of the SEC. There are no reasons to justify the UA playing ASU, unless it is in the Championship Playoff.

LZH

Quote from: GreenwayTigerHog on December 13, 2013, 10:23:45 am
Ark St. has moved on to playing the higher ranked teams like the U, Auburn, and Mizzou now.  They've lost interest in scheduling lesser known teams like the Hogs. 

Ha.  Agreed.  ASU is trying to up their strength of schedule, there's no need in looking to Fayetteville for that.

bphi11ips

Quote from: thirrdegreetusker on December 13, 2013, 03:20:55 pm
This^^^

It would be a sellout, so why not sell 72k tickets, instead of 56k?

Life is too short for grudges and feuds.

Hog 48

Play at Little Rock every year.
Make it a home game for ASU every year.
No other Little Rock games for UA.
Someone pays us for a change.
If ASU wants it so bad pony up!!!!!

roothawg

This frank mentality about not playing is retarded. That crap may have been valid in the 50's but not now. Play them every yr. It will not hurt anybody.

Hogtimes

Quote from: (notOM)Rebel123 on December 12, 2013, 10:24:38 pm
Wrong. If ASU can go play Auburn the same week for $1 million, they'd come out ahead of what the UofA would pay ASU. This argument doesn't hold water.

Argument doesn't hold water?  You do realize they can play more than one non conference game each year and can play different teams every year

(notOM)Rebel123

Quote from: Stan on December 13, 2013, 07:50:33 pm
Argument doesn't hold water?  You do realize they can play more than one non conference game each year and can play different teams every year

Duh...really?  ;)
But you do realize that for each non-conference game, ASU can go get a big paycheck from another BCS Conference school. Regardless of which game it is, ASU can go make $1 million from "Team X". So on any given weekend, if ASU can go get a paycheck from someone other than the UofA,  the "keep the money in the state" argument does not, in fact, hold water.

gostAte

This has got to be the most debated game that's never been played. I can't make up my mind if it's funny or sad.

WinstonWolf

I agree with the Arkansas fans - what does A-State have to gain? 

We have scheduled home and home games with Mizzou and Miami - why screw around with the Razorbacks?  A-State might lose and it could hurt our reputation as the state's perennial bowl team. 
You agree, through your use of this forum, that you will not post any material which is false . . .

Albert Einswine

Quote from: WinstonWolf on December 13, 2013, 09:34:44 pm

We have scheduled home and home games with Mizzou and Miami - why screw around with the Razorbacks?  A-State might lose and it could hurt our reputation as the state's perennial bowl team. 

ASU-J is going to it's 4th bowl in D-1... ever, y'all own Mobile. Jugger"nots".
"Funny thing, I become a hell of a good fisherman when the trout decide to commit suicide." ~ John D. Voelker

gostAte

Quote from: WinstonWolf on December 13, 2013, 09:34:44 pm

Lol!

Two Socks

Quote from: gostAte on December 13, 2013, 09:17:50 pm
This has got to be the most debated game that's never been played. I can't make up my mind if it's funny or sad.

Just play the game on PS3 or XBox and be done with it.

Dropkick

Legends of the Sunbelt
Not really, 80% of the state could give a shat less

gostAte

If I played video games and I cared enough, I might.

Seminole Indian

Funny, I cannot recall the last time an ASU fan, out in the real world, mentioned playing the Razorbacks.

When they have  mention an opponent they would like to play recently, it is either playing Auburn with Gus, or Ole Miss with Freeze.

They would like to continue the series with Memphis, and don't mind playing UCA.

For the most part they like to discuss winning the SBC, and going to a bowl, more than OC games although they  like the fact ASU has games with Miami, USC, Tennessee and Missouri, on their schedule.

I just don't think ASU fans think as much about the Razorbacks as most Razorback fans think they do. Seems those days  have came and gone, and was mostly during the 1AA years under Lacewell, when ASU needed help getting  back to 1A.

Think maybe UCA would benefit more from playing the Razorbacks than ASU, and if they do play an in-state team the Bears would be a good choice.
"In truth, knowledge is a great and very useful quality; those who despise it give evidence enough of their stupidity. Yet I do not set its value at that extreme measure that some attribute to it." - Michel de Montaigne

gostAte

Quote from: Dropkick on December 13, 2013, 09:42:33 pm
Legends of the SunbeltNot really, 80% of the state could give a shat less
We'll I haven't polled the state. I was basing my comments on the AState/UA threads I find on Hogville. BTW count me in the 80%.

Dillar Dog

Quote from: Dropkick on December 13, 2013, 09:42:33 pm
Legends of the SunbeltNot really, 80% of the state could give a shat less

So you're saying 80% cares?  Or did you mean couldn't give a shat less?  Big difference.

(notOM)Rebel123

Quote from: Dillar Dog on December 13, 2013, 09:57:03 pm
So you're saying 80% cares?  Or did you mean couldn't give a shat less?  Big difference.

Keep in mind that many on HV don't realize that there is a difference between
"I could care less" and " I couldn't care less."  :)

Dropkick

Quote from: Dillar Dog on December 13, 2013, 09:57:03 pm
What do you think I meant professor?

WinstonWolf

Quote from: (notOM)Rebel123 on December 13, 2013, 10:30:11 pm
Keep in mind that many on HV don't realize that there is a difference between
"I could care less" and " I couldn't care less."  :)
;D
You agree, through your use of this forum, that you will not post any material which is false . . .

LutherLindsey

Until we quit worrying about keeping others schools in the state down, and start focusing on making OURSELVES BETTER.  We ain't NEVER gonna win a SEC title.