Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Arizona Wildcats

Started by deserthog, September 26, 2017, 06:45:06 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

deserthog

I've often wondered how Arizona recruited top five talent year in and year out. They have much less in-state talent than we do. Their top recruiter Books Richardson was arrested today. They had his phone wire-tapped and it's shocking what he was doing with the adidas guys.

deserthog

And Arizona is a nike school btw.

bville_hog

and Arizona is much less shocking than Miss St and Texas A&M.  At least Arizona has a long winning tradition.

deserthog

Quote from: bville_hog on September 26, 2017, 06:57:59 pm
and Arizona is much less shocking than Miss St and Texas A&M.  At least Arizona has a long winning tradition.

Lute Olson made Arizona as did Eddie and Nolan here. For the last eight years Arizona has remained a power. Book has been there all eight years. We fell, they didn't.

bville_hog

Quote from: deserthog on September 26, 2017, 07:21:43 pm
Lute Olson made Arizona as did Eddie and Nolan here. For the last eight years Arizona has remained a power. Book has been there all eight years. We fell, they didn't.

Looking back it is amazing how good Nolan's teams continued to be after the Championship years since he refused to cater to the handlers, agents and shoe companies, plus having the NCAA do everything they could to harm his recruiting.

onebadrubi

The one reason arizona doesn't shock me getting top recruits is because of the size of the school.  It is extremely large and you can really sell what that area has. 

azhog10

While Az may be dirty. The coach that was arrested was bc a coach was being paid by agents to have his college players sign with them. Not a shoe company giving them cash to come to Az.

ShadowHawg

Quote from: azhog10 on September 26, 2017, 11:39:48 pm
While Az may be dirty. The coach that was arrested was bc a coach was being paid by agents to have his college players sign with them. Not a shoe company giving them cash to come to Az.

I bet we will find the agent the coach dealt with was aligned with a shoe company.

This is what wwwesley was doing for Cal at Memphis. He placed guys with Cal with the understanding that Cal would not meddle in the players post college dealings.

rzrbackramsfan

Quote from: azhog10 on September 26, 2017, 11:39:48 pm

I read an article where the assistant told the agent to give 15k to a recruit because Sean Miller really wanted him and was mad that he hadn't committed yet.  Then there were further confirmations of how the bribes worked because he committed.

HawgnCorona

Quote from: deserthog on September 26, 2017, 07:21:43 pm

What does that say about Sean Miller? Im still curious about something else in all this. It seem as though it is all the assistants coaches getting hit. What about the head coaches? Can the HC be that blind to all this? Does anybody believe Pitino's statement? He and other HC cant be that clueless to what is going on under there nose.

Wisdom is the principal thing; therefore get wisdom: and with all your getting, get understanding." --   Proverbs 4:7

"Live justly, love mercy and to walk humbly with the Most High."-- Micah 6:8

husker71

Tony Bland at USC was a asst coach at San Diego State during their really good years.  Years ago they brought a high school coach in from Detroit and he really got some good players  Smokey Gaines was his name and how Michael Cage got from West Memphis to San Diego is beyond me. 

deserthog

Quote from: HawgnCorona on September 27, 2017, 01:38:24 am
What does that say about Sean Miller? Im still curious about something else in all this. It seem as though it is all the assistants coaches getting hit. What about the head coaches? Can the HC be that blind to all this? Does anybody believe Pitino's statement? He and other HC cant be that clueless to what is going on under there nose.

If Sean Miller wasn't in the know, he probably woke up this morning and looked in the mirror thinking' "Damn, I guess I'm not the recruiter I thought I was." Quite a deflating revelation!

azhog10

Quote from: ShadowHawg on September 27, 2017, 12:06:49 am
I bet we will find the agent the coach dealt with was aligned with a shoe company.

This is what wwwesley was doing for Cal at Memphis. He placed guys with Cal with the understanding that Cal would not meddle in the players post college dealings.
Possibly. I'm just saying that the money wasn't for high school players to come to Arizona. It was for players already at Arizona to sign with a certain sports agency after they finished their college career and the money went to the coach, not the players.....This is different than what happened with Adidas and Louisville.

Just wanted to make the distinction.

mizzouman

Keep in mind that Arizona's issues has nothing to do with Addidas.  The assistant was steering players to agents in exchange for $$.

ShadowHawg

Quote from: azhog10 on September 27, 2017, 08:28:12 am
Possibly. I'm just saying that the money wasn't for high school players to come to Arizona. It was for players already at Arizona to sign with a certain sports agency after they finished their college career and the money went to the coach, not the players.....This is different than what happened with Adidas and Louisville.

Just wanted to make the distinction.

It's the same conclusion but a different route.

The agents are handing the kid to the coach, not the other way around. The kid is "cared for" by the agent while at zona in supervision of the coach.

Goes like this. Agent approaches player in hs, kid and agent come to agreement. Agent contacts coach says kid is willing to come but coach must make sure no other "agent" takes kid while in college. Coach agrees gets paid when kid exits program, if at all.

There are many opportunities for sports apparel and pay for play to be a part of this scenario that aren't included. It's an adaptation of wwwesley's approach.

Just saying the coach is not waiting for the kids to get to campus and then turning them. That's just an appearance. The kids are being handed over just like the other cases.

HamIAm

Quote from: HawgnCorona on September 27, 2017, 01:38:24 am

If you are the head coach you distance yourself by having the assistants do the dirty work.  Plus the assistants don't make near the salary of the head coach so they'd be more tempted to want to supplement their income. If the head coach doesn't know he probably has a good idea.  As long as the assistant brings in recruits he will not dig too deep.