Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Get your popcorn ready!!

Started by Hollywood_HOGan45, May 09, 2017, 06:56:44 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Hollywood_HOGan45

In the words of cosch Barry Hinson, get your butts back in here!!

This will be a lot of fun!!

rzrbackramsfan

This is the year that puts the razorbacks back on the map!

widespreadsooie

There's absolutely room for optimism but remember losing Moses, Dusty, and even Manny won't be easy to account for in the early going. Throw in 3 freshman who will see significant PT and there will be growing pains. However, it's tourney or bust. This team has the potential to be Mike's best but it will take time, what you hold out for is the season ending product. There's no telling what gets Mike's head called for first.

BannerMountainMan

Quote from: widespreadsooie on May 09, 2017, 08:06:53 pm
There's absolutely room for optimism but remember losing Moses, Dusty, and even Manny won't be easy to account for in the early going. Throw in 3 freshman who will see significant PT and there will be growing pains. However, it's tourney or bust. This team has the potential to be Mike's best but it will take time, what you hold out for is the season ending product. There's no telling what gets Mike's head called for first.
dumb
"Michael Qualls with the dunk at the buzzer, it goes and Arkansas wins, it goes and Arkansas wins"

widespreadsooie

Hollywood_HOGan45

There's no telling what gets Mike's head called for first.

The way he wears his jacket or the way he folds his arms.

rzrbackramsfan

I think we're gonna roll right out of the gates.  We've got some dogs... Barford, Macon, thompson, beard, cook and Thomas provide an experienced core then you throw in the talented youngsters jones, Bailey and Hazen that are ready to come out.  Then we have the 5 star center gafford, consensus four star garland and diamond in the rough four star hall.  Oh yea, then jalen Harris in their practices.  Come on.

HoopS

Some will certainly find a reason to belly ache. It is what it is. They don't like him as our coach.

But hopefully most here can finally see we are in good hands. Can't help you if you can't see it by now.

That doesn't mean we will or have to agree with every decision. That'll never happen with any coach.

But you realize that had Q and Portis stuck around like they said they were going to right up until they didn't, we'd most likely be looking at 4 years in a row of 25 plus wins.

There's really no reason for able-bodied Hog fans who have the resources to get there and support YOUR TEAM.

PharmacistHog

Quote from: HoopS on May 10, 2017, 07:18:09 am
Some will certainly find a reason to belly ache. It is what it is. They don't like him as our coach.

But hopefully most here can finally see we are in good hands. Can't help you if you can't see it by now.

That doesn't mean we will or have to agree with every decision. That'll never happen with any coach.

But you realize that had Q and Portis stuck around like they said they were going to right up until they didn't, we'd most likely be looking at 4 years in a row of 25 plus wins.

There's really no reason for able-bodied Hog fans who have the resources to get there and support YOUR TEAM.

I agree except for the portis part. Anybody that realiy believed portis was staying is a moron.
Quote from: HogPharmer on December 27, 2018, 09:45:23 am
Millennials suck...

Quote from: GA reddiehog on May 18, 2019, 12:36:02 pm
Hogs have hit a wall at the wrong time of the season.  I will go on record now and say they may not even get out of their regional.  The hitting has been carrying them with a few good pitching outings but they just don't have the reliable pitching they need to get back to the CWS.

gmarv

I am so ready my popcorn is gonna be cold by game time.It is gonna be another fun year.

HoopS

Quote from: PharmacistHog on May 10, 2017, 07:29:35 am
I agree except for the portis part. Anybody that realiy believed portis was staying is a moron.
You can label folks whatever you choose. That's the popular thing these days anyway. But people close to him believed he was staying. Usually that's considered a good source.  But no need to get back into this argument again. Glad Macon and Barford stayed. I hope they are treated to the kind of support they deserve.

PharmacistHog

I stand by my statement. His stock was as high as it could get. There was nowhere to go but down.
Quote from: HogPharmer on December 27, 2018, 09:45:23 am
Millennials suck...

Quote from: GA reddiehog on May 18, 2019, 12:36:02 pm
Hogs have hit a wall at the wrong time of the season.  I will go on record now and say they may not even get out of their regional.  The hitting has been carrying them with a few good pitching outings but they just don't have the reliable pitching they need to get back to the CWS.

HoopS

Quote from: PharmacistHog on May 10, 2017, 08:10:11 am
I stand by my statement. His stock was as high as it could get. There was nowhere to go but down.
I stand by mine too. I didn't mention stock. I agree with that. Just saying that despite that, there were reasons to believe he was sticking around anyhow whether we would have or he should have or not. He made a good decision in the end but it was made in the end, not as early as you may assume.

factchecker

WORK FOR IT
PLAN ON IT
EARN IT
OMAHOGS

Youngsta71701

Quote from: PharmacistHog on May 10, 2017, 07:29:35 am
Could they be an optimist? Just saying moron is so mean...
"The more things change the more they stay the same"

HoopS

Quote from: Youngsta71701 on May 10, 2017, 08:57:18 am
Could they be an optimist? Just saying moron is so mean...
meh. Doesn't matter. We live in a society of people who like to label anyone who has a different viewpoint despite not knowing the same things that person may know. Think back to the election. If you had a different viewpoint you were possibly a rascist, sexist, xenaphobe etc,.. 

Par for the course today.

Gerald Gilber

my tickets are ordered, i have been to many games in my life but have never had season tickets, should be fun
Can we play all our games at home????

Adam Stokes

Quote from: HoopS on May 10, 2017, 09:02:15 am
meh. Doesn't matter. We live in a society of people who like to label anyone who has a different viewpoint despite not knowing the same things that person may know. Think back to the election. If you had a different viewpoint you were possibly a rascist, sexist, xenaphobe etc,.. 

Par for the course today.

Glad you are proud to be one of those people?

HoopS

Quote from: Adam Stokes on May 10, 2017, 09:27:17 am
Glad you are proud to be one of those people?
specify exactly what you're asking and I'll respond.

razoredge178

CMA's biggest blessing is that he competes in the dumpster of basketball conferences.

FineAsSwine

Is there some good news? Can't tell by some of the comments in this thread.
Hogs up! Covid down!

widespreadsooie

Quote from: razoredge178 on May 10, 2017, 09:34:39 am
CMA's biggest blessing is that he competes in the dumpster of basketball conferences.

The SEC is not the dumpster of basketball conferences.

Youngsta71701

HF#1

I am cautiously overly excited about this season. The league as a whole will be better and the Hogs will be a force. I expect the Kentucky game at BWA to be a nationally televised game.
"We are all born ignorant, but one must work hard to remain stupid."  <br /><br />Benjamin Franklin

1hawgballer2

May 10, 2017, 10:04:46 am #24 Last Edit: May 10, 2017, 10:15:26 am by ricolacey

Comments: Houston! we have a problem here another soothsayer. An early Prediction of Mike's future, suggesting his failure this season, although uncertain as to the corporate. Listen you don't leave a job making $2.2 mil for a measly added .2 in addition to knowingly take a program that's in the dust, plus NCAA sanctions to boot. Unless you have a personal dream that you can pickup the pieces where your mentor left off years ago and coach the program to greatness again. It's my experience greatness is never handed to you, it is a slippery slope, accompanied with many disappointments for instance players you coached up bolt for the NBA early in their college career, and 5*, 4* home grown recruits you went all out for chose to leave the state for reasons other than your program. Yeah all that and much more comes when you dare to become great or be apart of something great and if you don't lose your passion in the mist of the fight you have a real chance. I agree with coach Mike this program has already turned the corner, why don't we chill sit back relax and enjoy this up coming season. The frame works are already in place, our returning seniors will be focused with an attitude, sophomores will be anxious to show case their stuff on the hardwood, and our incoming freshmen class show their skills.

razoredge178

Quote from: The ColonelHog on May 10, 2017, 09:44:36 am
WHAAAAAT?  You can actually say that after this past NCAAT?  I guess you don't pay much attention to CBB.  Your unqualified statement certainly suggest you don't.

Basketball is a game of runs. And the SEC had a couple of good ones this year. THIS year.

I watch endless basketball, and more SEC basketball than ever before because of the network. Its the worst of the Power 5. Brutal to watch most of the time. You don't realize how bad it is until you toggle back and forth from a Tennessee-Ole Miss game to an Indiana-Iowa type game.

navyhog24

Quote from: razoredge178 on May 10, 2017, 10:13:17 am
Basketball is a game of runs. And the SEC had a couple of good ones this year. THIS year.

I watch endless basketball, and more SEC basketball than ever before because of the network. Its the worst of the Power 5. Brutal to watch most of the time. You don't realize how bad it is until you toggle back and forth from a Tennessee-Ole Miss game to an Indiana-Iowa type game.

I think it's the refs that make it hard to watch. Once the Hogs were allowed to play their real style in the post season, we did a lot better until we got screwed over in the UNC game.

FineAsSwine

Quote from: ricolacey on May 10, 2017, 10:04:46 am
Comments: Houston! we have a problem here another soothsayer. An early Prediction of Mike's future, suggesting his failure this season, although uncertain as to the corporate. Listen you don't leave a job making $2.2 mil for a measly added .2 in addition to knowingly take a program that's in the dust, plus NCAA sanctions to boot. Unless you have a personal dream that you can pickup the pieces where your mentor left off years ago and coach the program to greatness again. It's my experience greatness is never handed to you, it is a slippery slope, accompanied with many disappointments for instance players you coached up bolt for the NBA early in their college career, and 5*, 4* home grown recruits you went all out for chose to leave the state for reasons other than your program. Yeah all that and much more comes when you dare to become great or be apart of something great and if you don't lose your passion in the mist of the fight you have a real chance. I agree with coach Mike this program has already turned the corner, why don't we chill sit back relax and enjoy this up coming season. The frame works are already in place, our returning seniors will be focused with an attitude, sophomores will be anxious to show case their stuff on the hardwood, and our incoming freshmen class show their skills.

well said
Hogs up! Covid down!

razoredge178

Quote from: navyhog24 on May 10, 2017, 10:38:52 am
I think it's the refs that make it hard to watch. Once the Hogs were allowed to play their real style in the post season, we did a lot better until we got screwed over in the UNC game.

The SEC officials have made a bad conference even worse- agreed.

yocdaddy

While I do see an improvement from Barford and Macon (2nd year JUCO's normally grow a bunch) next season, our guard production on offense will likely be down with the loss of Hannahs.  Furthermore, losing a low post option and rim protector like Kingsley will hurt us as well.  I see a similar season record wise to this one on the horizon.  At least I'm hoping for a similar season next year without all the ups and downs.   

Our players won't be the only ones working on skill development between now and then.  Let's not assume next years team will finish top 3 in the league.  The conference is on the upswing, as are the HOGS. 
"More people would learn from their mistakes, if they weren't so busy denying them."  --Harold J. Smith

FineAsSwine

Quote from: yocdaddy on May 10, 2017, 10:54:49 am
While I do see an improvement from Barford and Macon (2nd year JUCO's normally grow a bunch) next season, our guard production on offense will likely be down with the loss of Hannahs.  Furthermore, losing a low post option and rim protector like Kingsley will hurt us as well.  I see a similar season record wise to this one on the horizon.  At least I'm hoping for a similar season next year without all the ups and downs.   

Our players won't be the only ones working on skill development between now and then.  Let's not assume next years team will finish top 3 in the league.  The conference is on the upswing, as are the HOGS.

Bolded part refutes the statement that immediately followed.
Hogs up! Covid down!

navyhog24

Quote from: yocdaddy on May 10, 2017, 10:54:49 am

CJ Jones has to be ready to play and not be gun shy. He road the pine a lot, but I hope he comes out with something to prove. The 4 will be improved too just with Bailey seeing more time there. If Thomas can also return to his Seton Hal game form on a consistent basis, then we'll good to go at the 4 and that will help take pressure off of Thompson and Gafford. Both of whom are not major scoring threats. I think Gafford will be the rim protector type that Moses and will definitely be as good or a better rebounder. If Garland or Hall can provide us a consistent third scoring option, we'll be good to go. That's what made last years team so dangerous. We had 4 legit scoring options. This year we have 2 for sure, but 1 more will have to happen. I'm hoping it can be Jones or Hall.

Letsroll1200

SEC basketball is underrated and getting better.

HoopS

What we lose from Hannahs offensively we stand to gain defensively.

FineAsSwine

Quote from: navyhog24 on May 10, 2017, 11:17:43 am
CJ Jones has to be ready to play and not be gun shy. He road the pine a lot, but I hope he comes out with something to prove. The 4 will be improved too just with Bailey seeing more time there. If Thomas can also return to his Seton Hal game form on a consistent basis, then we'll good to go at the 4 and that will help take pressure off of Thompson and Gafford. Both of whom are not major scoring threats. I think Gafford will be the rim protector type that Moses and will definitely be as good or a better rebounder. If Garland or Hall can provide us a consistent third scoring option, we'll be good to go. That's what made last years team so dangerous. We had 4 legit scoring options. This year we have 2 for sure, but 1 more will have to happen. I'm hoping it can be Jones or Hall.

With Macon, Barford and Beard on deck, we can still work CJ in without having to throw him into the fire like we did with Whitt. I think he will be ready though and one thing fa sho tho, CJ never scared, especially when it comes to putting up shots.
Hogs up! Covid down!

azhog10

Quote from: PharmacistHog on May 10, 2017, 08:10:11 am
You could say the same about the kid at TAMU. His stock is as high as it ever will be and he decided to come back. Portis told the staff he was coming back, but in the end he did what he felt he needed to do. Believing him doesn't make you a moron, but it does if you don't have any backup plans. Mike did a great job of recruiting up until he knew 100% those guys were coming back this year. Tough learning experience.

FineAsSwine

Quote from: azhog10 on May 10, 2017, 11:31:00 am
You could say the same about the kid at TAMU. His stock is as high as it ever will be and he decided to come back. Portis told the staff he was coming back, but in the end he did what he felt he needed to do. Believing him doesn't make you a moron, but it does if you don't have any backup plans. Mike did a great job of recruiting up until he knew 100% those guys were coming back this year. Tough learning experience.

The future is looking so great that the past is all most of the diehards have left to criticize. Let them vent. It's so precious.
Hogs up! Covid down!

azhog10

Quote from: razoredge178 on May 10, 2017, 10:13:17 am

Results matter. Winning is all that matters unless it doesn't fit your narrative and then it's "well we got lucky as a a conference" lol.

widespreadsooie

Quote from: ricolacey on May 10, 2017, 10:04:46 am

I'm not really sure what you're saying but I wasn't predicting Mike's future. My comment alludes to fans with lofty expectations that have knee jerk reactions to every loss.

popcornhog

Quote from: BannerMountainMan on May 09, 2017, 08:35:14 pm
dumb

Dumb?

He's absolutely right. If we struggle early in the season, folks will want Mike gone. And it's entirely possible that we struggle early, given the senior leadership that is gonna be gone.

The good news is that this will be a talented team that could be very good by year's end. And that's what matters.
WPS

FineAsSwine

Quote from: popcornhog on May 10, 2017, 12:46:39 pm
Dumb?

He's absolutely right. If we struggle early in the season, folks will want Mike gone. And it's entirely possible that we struggle early, given the senior leadership that is gonna be gone.

The good news is that this will be a talented team that could be very good by year's end. And that's what matters.

Only lost 3 (three) seniors this year but we are going to have 6 (six) seniors on the team next year.
Hogs up! Covid down!

ShadowHawg

It makes it much harder to build a resume

cityhog

Getting those 2 back is huge. We will miss MK and Dusty no doubt. Gotta make the tourney again and win a game or 2 again to start the mojo really going. A 1st or 2nd place finish in conference would be nice too.

niels_boar

The only two guys with set roles in game 1 will be Barford and Macon.  How the shots for Hannahs and Kingsley get redistributed will be a work in progress, as will be optimizing units and rotations.  There are some kinks that can't be worked out until the staff sees how players perform with the lights on. 

Those three seniors included by far our two best defensive players, the guy in the middle who drew double teams, and our most consistent all-court scorer.  We have talent to replace them, but this team will be far from free of moving parts when the ball gets tossed in the air for the first time.

But, go ahead, ramp up expectations so that everybody can have a good tantrum on the first loss and declare the season over.  It happens every year, as the team keeps working and improving.  This team seems to have a high ceiling.  It could very well cause a lot of heartburn early and a lot of fist-pumping late.
The jawbone of an ass is just as dangerous a weapon today as in Sampson's time.

niels_boar

Except that the SEC competed quite strongly against the ACC and Big 12 when the games were played on the court instead of on the computer.
The jawbone of an ass is just as dangerous a weapon today as in Sampson's time.

wheelspigharvey

Quote from: Letsroll1200 on May 10, 2017, 11:18:32 am
SEC basketball is underrated and getting better.

3 teams in the Elite 8 and a fourth that was a minute away from a Sweet 16 against the eventual national champ is a full on dumpster fire every time.

Youngsta71701

Huh? Did you not watch basketball or the NCAA tournament at all this past season?! Anybody got any 'Hater B Gone' spray?

Youngsta71701

Quote from: HF#1 on May 10, 2017, 09:49:10 am
I am cautiously overly excited about this season. The league as a whole will be better and the Hogs will be a force. I expect the Kentucky game at BWA to be a nationally televised game.
No doubt. Especially after the bad blood from last season.

razoredge178

Quote from: Youngsta71701 on May 10, 2017, 01:56:04 pm
Huh? Did you not watch basketball or the NCAA tournament at all this past season?! Anybody got any 'Hater B Gone' spray?

Sure I did. And we had some good teams make good runs. But you can't take a single season and brushstroke its performance to the overall long term quality of the league. Or maybe you can. I can't. Just like how we all know how bad the Big 12 sucks at football, even when they win a bunch of their bowl games.

Youngsta71701

Quote from: razoredge178 on May 10, 2017, 03:27:56 pm
Sure I did. And we had some good teams make good runs. But you can't take a single season and brushstroke its performance to the overall long term quality of the league. Or maybe you can. I can't. Just like how we all know how bad the Big 12 sucks at football, even when they win a bunch of their bowl games.
Those are all valid points but I've been trying to tell people for years that SEC basketball is much better than it's perceived to be and I still believe that. Now it's starting to show.