Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Lane Kiffin Misconceptions

Started by HogTakes, October 22, 2017, 10:42:37 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

HogTakes

A lot of people seem to think Kiffin has never tasted any amount of success, but he has won at least 7 games in each of his full seasons as head coach, finished 3rd or higher in his division each of those years and won 5 or more conference games in each of his full seasons at USC, all while dealing with some pretty serious sanctions from the Pete Carroll era.

I honestly think USC overreacted too early to a bad loss to Arizona State, who won 10 games that year. He has the potential to be a home run hire. We actually have some incredibly talented offensive pieces and his playcalling ability would give us a chance in any given game.

secfan30

You make good points and like I said in another thread, I'm hating this less and less the more I think about it.

Stewhog 11

October 22, 2017, 10:49:20 pm #2 Last Edit: October 22, 2017, 11:17:57 pm by Stewhog 11
Not only is everything you said true, but since then he's spent three years directly under arguably the greatest college football of all time. To a guy that incredibly (considering his experience) is still a very young coach, how can that do anything but make him a better coach?

colbs

Wasn't USC under sanctions when he was there?  If so not too bad considering the reduced scholarships they had.

checkraiser88

My only problem with Kiffin is he's pretty much the biggest internet/twitter troll out of any coach in football..

Tusks

Go get him and take the chance.  He could do nothing to make the situation worse and theres a very good chance he could make it much better.
sometimes it's a good and some times it's a schit

ChicoHog

I think he is a really good recruiter and decent offensive mind.  My concern is his behavior, lack of maturity, and ability to get good assistant coaches.  I don't think he has a lot of respect among other coaches.  I think it would be risky but it may turn out well too.  At least we would get a lot of airtime among the talking heads. 

HOGINTENNESSEE

Quote from: ChicoHog on October 22, 2017, 11:13:56 pm
I think he is a really good recruiter and decent offensive mind.  My concern is his behavior, lack of maturity, and ability to get good assistant coaches.  I don't think he has a lot of respect among other coaches.  I think it would be risky but it may turn out well too.  At least we would get a lot of airtime among the talking heads. 

He hired some great assistants at UT and USC.

I believe he has matured some

OneTuskOverTheLine™

Quote from: ChicoHog on October 22, 2017, 11:13:56 pm

He's finally hit 40 as well, and one would think the need to be immature and show everyone he's awesome is fleeing. Can't be worse, can he?
Quote from: capehog on March 12, 2010...
My ex wife had a pet monkey I used to play with. That was one of the few things I liked about her

quote from: golf2day on June 19, 2014....
I'm disgusted, but kinda excited. Now I'm disgusted that I'm excited.

hogboarder

Mr. Integrity is at the helm and y'all are talking about Kiffin???

Tusks

Kiffin was an assistant to Petrino when both were at the Jacksonville Jaguars.

BP was the QB coach and LK was a young OQC

Kiffin was also the OC when the Trojans curbed stomped the Hogs, both times.

leroyhawg

That was back when we played nothing but man on man, they had better players, you could tell we had some special Backs in that last game, just wishing for some backs like that, no team in college football has ever had backs like that, once in a lifetime.
God Loves a Working man, dont trust Whitey and darn from Shinola. Navin

Navin Johnson

ImHogginIt

Quote from: colbs on October 22, 2017, 10:54:12 pm
Wasn't USC under sanctions when he was there?  If so not too bad considering the reduced scholarships they had.

He was also an assistant there when they were doing all the cheating they were busted for

Hoggie17

They loved Lane Coffin over here in Vol land, I know I live here.  They hated him only after he dropped them like a turd. He is a hell of a recruiter and he can coach up QB's.  Not only that but he is an offensive genius.  The more I think of it the more I like him as our next HC. I guarantee he would win.

Tusks

Quote from: Hoggie17 on October 23, 2017, 12:11:06 am
They loved Lane Coffin over here in Vol land, I know I live here.  They hated him only after he dropped them like a turd. He is a hell of a recruiter and he can coach up QB's.  Not only that but he is an offensive genius.  The more I think of it the more I like him as our next HC. I guarantee he would win.

The program would get a little of it's strut back.

Bonehog

Never go shopping when you're hungry! 
If you look at your reflection at the bottom of the well
What you see is only on the surface
When you try to see the meaning, hidden underneath
The measure of the depth can be deceiving
The bottom has a rocky reputation!
                      Joe Walsh

OneTuskOverTheLine™

My ex wife had a pet monkey I used to play with. That was one of the few things I liked about her

HoggyCat

Quote from: hogboarder on October 22, 2017, 11:22:40 pm
Mr. Integrity is at the helm and y'all are talking about Kiffin???

Not for long...
I'm only responsible for what I say, not how you perceive it.

HawgPound

Kiffin is not coming to Arkansas unless he sees it as a stepping stone. No thanks.

go hogues

This program has been a circus, in one form or another, since 2004. Hiring him would just prolong the circus.

No thanks.
Quote from: Leadbelly on September 24, 2019, 09:05:22 pm<br />Dude, our back has been against the wall so long, we are now on the other side of the wall!<br />

Inhogswetrust

Quote from: HOGINTENNESSEE on October 22, 2017, 11:19:48 pm
He hired some great assistants at UT and USC.

I believe he has matured some

What makes you think that?
If I'm going to cheer players and coaches in victory, I damn sure ought to be man enough to stand with them in defeat.

"Why some people are so drawn to the irrational is something that has always puzzled me" - James Randi

NaturalStateReb

Lane Kiffin gets jobs because of his last name.  He gets hired based on the diarrhea theory--hoping it runs in the genes.
"It's a trap!"--Houston Nutt and Admiral Ackbar, although Ackbar never called that play or ate that frito pie.

Pork Twain

It sure would be fun to watch it play out but I think there are much better options.
"It is better to be an optimist and proven wrong, than a pessimist and proven right." ~Pork Twain

https://www.facebook.com/groups/sweetmemes/

OneLardAlmighty

Quote from: HawgPound on October 23, 2017, 08:28:15 am
Kiffin is not coming to Arkansas unless he sees it as a stepping stone. No thanks.

I don't know yet what I think about this.  I liked the idea back when he was on the short list before the Petrino hire, and I'm warming to it now, though I'd be shocked if it happens.

But I get tired of this stepping stone argument.  That seems to be a perennial worry despite the fact that it has never happened.  Even so, Arkansas can only be a stepping stone for any coach if he actually has some success here, at which point it becomes a pretty good job in its own right.  But I'd take that trade right about now.   

ipigsooie

Quote from: OneLardAlmighty on October 23, 2017, 08:45:05 am
I don't know yet what I think about this.  I liked the idea back when he was on the short list before the Petrino hire, and I'm warming to it now, though I'd be shocked if it happens.

But I get tired of this stepping stone argument.  That seems to be a perennial worry despite the fact that it has never happened.  Even so, Arkansas can only be a stepping stone for any coach if he actually has some success here, at which point it becomes a pretty good job in its own right.  But I'd take that trade right about now.

Never happened?  You mean at Arkansas or with Lane Kiffin? I agree that the stepping stone argument shouldn't be the first concern but some stability would be nice and Lane Kiffin's history doesnt lend itself to make anyone believe that he will create any stability. I never blamed him for leaving UT for his dream job after 1 season but the way he left them was a complete d move. I would rather the hogs look elsewhere.

East TN HAWG

Quote from: Hoggie17 on October 23, 2017, 12:11:06 am

I've heard multiple people say here they would like to hire him back. 

Kevin

his oc is: kendall briles
is co-dc's both came from ole miss (possibly involved in the recruit violations)

interesting tight ends coach is clint trickett
Submit yourselves therefore to God. Resist the devil and he will flee from you.<br />James 4:7
Reject Every Kind Of Evil 1 Thessalonians 5:22

OneLardAlmighty

Quote from: ipigsooie on October 23, 2017, 09:03:57 am
Never happened?  You mean at Arkansas or with Lane Kiffin? I agree that the stepping stone argument shouldn't be the first concern but some stability would be nice and Lane Kiffin's history doesnt lend itself to make anyone believe that he will create any stability. I never blamed him for leaving UT for his dream job after 1 season but the way he left them was a complete d move. I would rather the hogs look elsewhere.

No.  I mean, unless you count Bowden Wyatt going to Tennessee, no coach has ever used the position of head football coach at Arkansas as a stepping stone to a greater job.  They've all either retired, failed, or been run off by Frank and/or the fans.  And yet every time we consider somebody ambitious, some segment of the fanbase begins fretting that they'll only use Arkansas as a stepping-stone.

That's a separate question from whether we should hire Lane Kiffin.  Right now, I'm of two minds about that.  But my hope is that the next coach at Arkansas does well enough that some other P5 school would want to hire him.

He will have his work cut out for him.  And if he can turn this thing around after the last 6 years, he'll have earned whatever opportunities come his way.

HawgPound

You misunderstand. I don't think Arkansas is a stepping stone. I believe Kiffin would see it as that. I do not think he is a good fit for Arkansas personality wise and sure he would be on his way out as soon as an offer he deemed as better came along.

lahawg1

If he would bring his father back in some capacity I would listen

OneLardAlmighty

Quote from: HawgPound on October 23, 2017, 10:05:40 am
You misunderstand. I don't think Arkansas is a stepping stone. I believe Kiffin would see it as that. I do not think he is a good fit for Arkansas personality wise and sure he would be on his way out as soon as an offer he deemed as better came along.

Actually, I think you misunderstand.  My point is that I don't care how he sees it.  For a brief moment in the early days, there were actually a few people who feared that Bielema might view the job in the same way and use it as a stepping stone to Bama, LSU, or the NFL.  How is that working out now?  My point is that, irrespective of what Kiffin or any other coach may think, Arkansas can only BE a stepping stone if they come here and win.  That's what I want:  a coach who will come here and win.  If he then gets lured away to greener pastures then so be it.  At least he will have left his campsite better than he found it.

mckinneyhog5

OMG after his first loss fans on here would be telling him to shut-up and win games. He's not a fit here and never would gain the support he needs.
Quote from: mckinneyhog5 on April 07, 2019, 10:29:55 pmGuys, we have hired the BEST coach that we could have hired. Musselman is gonna rock it here like we haven't seen since the early 90's. Just sit back and watch it unfold! We WILL be a nationally recognized program again soon.

HawgPound

Quote from: OneLardAlmighty on October 23, 2017, 10:27:57 am
Actually, I think you misunderstand.  My point is that I don't care how he sees it.  For a brief moment in the early days, there were actually a few people who feared that Bielema might view the job in the same way and use it as a stepping stone to Bama, LSU, or the NFL.  How is that working out now?  My point is that, irrespective of what Kiffin or any other coach may think, Arkansas can only BE a stepping stone if they come here and win.  That's what I want:  a coach who will come here and win.  If he then gets lured away to greener pastures then so be it.  At least he will have left his campsite better than he found it.
Let me put it another way since maybe I should not have used the words stepping stone. Kiffin will not accept a job at Arkansas. If by some chance he did, he would leave it faster than he left Tennessee. He is not a good fit for Arkansas. It has nothing to do with the job but everything to do with his personality. Joey Freshwater ain't comin' to Fayetteville.

zebradynasty

October 23, 2017, 11:37:40 am #34 Last Edit: October 23, 2017, 03:27:15 pm by zebradynasty
Kiffin's mouth and behavior would not be a good fit for Arkansas. The state too conservative. His recruiting credentials make it tempting because that is just as big of problem as the poor coaching we have now. My opinion Arkansas needs to recruit it's way out this not coach it's way out (well not entirely coaching). Meaning a good coach without great recruiters....wont yield much better results.

HogTakes

Petrino wasn't a master recruiter here. I mean, three guys from Warren were some of his most productive players. He beat you schematically and I think Kiffin can do the same.

Quote from: zebradynasty on October 23, 2017, 11:37:40 am
Kiffin's mouth and behavior would not be a good fit for Arkansas. Too conservative. His recruiting credentials make it tempting because that is just as big of problem as the poor coaching we have now. My opinion Arkansas needs to recruit it's way out this not coach it's way out (well not entirely coaching). Meaning a good coach without great recruiters....wont yield much better results.

OneLardAlmighty

Quote from: HawgPound on October 23, 2017, 10:45:28 am
Let me put it another way since maybe I should not have used the words stepping stone. Kiffin will not accept a job at Arkansas. If by some chance he did, he would leave it faster than he left Tennessee. He is not a good fit for Arkansas. It has nothing to do with the job but everything to do with his personality. Joey Freshwater ain't comin' to Fayetteville.

He couldn't leave it much faster than Tennessee unless he left midyear.  Otherwise, there is no way to know what he would do.  He may or may not be a good fit here for all sorts of reasons.  As I've said in each post, I'm of two minds about that and I'd be shocked if it happens.  But one of those reasons is not the possibility that he might up and leave faster than he left Tennessee.  With him or anybody else.  At the moment I don't care how long the next coach is here.  I just want him to win while he's here without humiliating us or getting us into trouble.

Tusks

Quote from: HawgPound on October 23, 2017, 08:28:15 am

When was the last time a HC left AR for a 'better' job?

HogTakes

When we put up 2,000 yards of offense in the first three games (including one against the UNT team he just posted 800 yards against), fans will be a little more forgiving. Bielema started 3-0 with boring offense and squeaking by FCS Samford.

Quote from: mckinneyhog5 on October 23, 2017, 10:29:28 am
OMG after his first loss fans on here would be telling him to shut-up and win games. He's not a fit here and never would gain the support he needs.

Jackrabbit Hog

Quote from: JIMMY BOARFFETT on June 29, 2018, 03:47:07 pm
I'm sure it's nothing that a $500 retainer can't fix.  Contact JackRabbit Hog for payment instructions.

Paul

He trolled Saban this summer saying if he was still OC they would've won the NC. That's pure ego & immaturity like... well, you know. He ain't tearing it up at FAU

my3boneheads

Quote from: Paul on October 23, 2017, 12:40:35 pm
He trolled Saban this summer saying if he was still OC they would've won the NC. That's pure ego & immaturity like... well, you know. He ain't tearing it up at FAU

Check out the stats from Saturday. They tore it up.

NoogaHog

I know I will probably be blasted for this, but while Kiffin is a good recruiter, he recruits a bunch of thugs. Go back and look at all the legal problems UT players had while he was there and his recruiting class after he left. A lot of that class left or was kicked out.

The running joke was that if someone broke into your house and you called the Knoxville Police they would ask if you got their jersey number.
Слава Богу - Slava Bogu - "Glory to God"

King Kong

Quote from: NoogaHog on October 23, 2017, 12:57:21 pm
I know I will probably be blasted for this, but while Kiffin is a good recruiter, he recruits a bunch of thugs. Go back and look at all the legal problems UT players had while he was there and his recruiting class after he left. A lot of that class left or was kicked out.

The running joke was that if someone broke into your house and you called the Knoxville Police they would ask if you got their jersey number.

And he has now had 10 years to learn from that

King Kong

Quote from: Paul on October 23, 2017, 12:40:35 pm

He is 2-0 in conference and 4-3 for a team that hasn't won over 3 games in 6 years. And they have won over 4 games in 7 years.

DeltaBoy

Get Lane and see if we can bring Big Pappa Kiffin back to run  the D.
If the South should lose, it means that the history of the heroic struggle will be written by the enemy, that our youth will be trained by Northern school teachers, will be impressed by all of the influences of history and education to regard our gallant dead as traitors and our maimed veterans as fit subjects for derision.
-- Major General Patrick Cleburne
The Confederacy had no better soldiers
than the Arkansans--fearless, brave, and oftentimes courageous beyond
prudence. Dickart History of Kershaws Brigade.

Hoginsavga

Quote from: HawgPound on October 23, 2017, 10:45:28 am

I see the comment quite often that someone is not a good fit for Arkansas. It's also seldom that I see anyone mentioned that doesn't have numerous negative comments posted about them and they are not the right fit. It seems if it's anyone with a name or past they are not the right fit.

So can you describe the characteristics that would make a person the right fit. Also provide a few names if you can. Please don't list Joel Osteen as he probably can't coach any better than what we currently have.

Paul

Quote from: my3boneheads on October 23, 2017, 12:54:41 pm
Check out the stats from Saturday. They tore it up.
well let's hire him...wait!  Is Layla coming too?

OneTuskOverTheLine™

Then I'd like for the next 12 coaches to move on after 3-5 yrs and a national championship...

East TN HAWG

Quote from: zebradynasty on October 23, 2017, 11:37:40 am
Kiffin's mouth and behavior would not be a good fit for Arkansas. Too conservative. His recruiting credentials make it tempting because that is just as big of problem as the poor coaching we have now. My opinion Arkansas needs to recruit it's way out this not coach it's way out (well not entirely coaching). Meaning a good coach without great recruiters....wont yield much better results.

If he wins, no one cares.  In all actuality, CBB is trying to do things the right way, but he is on very thin ice because of his W-L record.  The majority of the fan base cares about one thing wining.  Its not only at AR its across the NCAA.  Kiffin's mouth is irrelevant as long as his W-L % is good.