Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Long and Bielema saved Arkansas football

Started by Martygit, September 13, 2017, 01:18:06 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Redhogs

Will I live long enough to see us win again? Will any of us?

PorkRinds

Everyone hates Bolin already. This will not help.

tbhogfan

Go Hogs!

The Hawg Marshal

Hog-Corleone

This is my word, and as such is beyond contestation.

Boss Hog in the Arkansas

I didn't know Bolin was disliked. I thought he was a straight shooter (excluding this article of course)
That's right, you don't want to be the man to replace the man.  You want to be the man to replace Rory Segrest.

DeltaBoy

If the South should lose, it means that the history of the heroic struggle will be written by the enemy, that our youth will be trained by Northern school teachers, will be impressed by all of the influences of history and education to regard our gallant dead as traitors and our maimed veterans as fit subjects for derision.
-- Major General Patrick Cleburne
The Confederacy had no better soldiers
than the Arkansans--fearless, brave, and oftentimes courageous beyond
prudence. Dickart History of Kershaws Brigade.

Bebop

Saving the program implies that we are doing well. Well...we are not.

Tusks

wow, just wow.  I think of so many other worse scandals and cheating that I have a hard time agreeing with the hogs were in the ashes.

If BP had finished up a 3-9, 0-8 season with his wreck then yes that's being close to ashes but he had just finished a #3 in season ranking with #5 finish.

Just so much fail in that article.
sometimes it's a good and some times it's a schit

Youngsta71701

"The more things change the more they stay the same"

Hoggie17

11 win season is far from ashes. The last year of BP.

OneLardAlmighty

Quote from: Redhogs on September 13, 2017, 01:20:55 pm
Talk about planting a story...timing on this is as transparent as a clear glass window. They really do take the fans for idiots.

Never mind that it's true. 

Look, Bielema may not be the kind of tactical genius that Arkansas needs to win.  In fact, there may not be any one area that you can point to where he is truly excellent.  His philosophy may not work here, or in the modern game for that matter.  Perhaps that could have been foreseen.  It was such a departure from the Petrino formula and from Arkansas' historical template for success, I had my doubts but hoped otherwise.  So far the doubts are winning. 

But he was a surprising 'splash' hire with a strong track record that immediately rescued us from a 2 year national embarrassment and got us immediate respect.  We have even flirted with being a national darling a few times in the last five years, but have failed to sustain success.  He has cleaned up the program and put some talent in the cupboard.   People have taken to comparing him to Danny Ford, but there are two sides to that.  Danny didn't have much success here either, outside the surprising 1995 season, but he arrested the downward fall, left the program better than he found it and laid the foundation of his successor's early success.  Surely if we're honest with ourselves, we can at least say the same for Bielema, whether he leaves next year or a few years from now.

I'm coming to the sad conclusion that this just isn't going to work, but that doesn't mean we have to treat this like the Houston Nutt saga.

DeltaBoy

Nutt was a winner and a fighter , He was one of us.  Bret was just born on a Hog Farm.  His recruiting failures are showing this year.
If the South should lose, it means that the history of the heroic struggle will be written by the enemy, that our youth will be trained by Northern school teachers, will be impressed by all of the influences of history and education to regard our gallant dead as traitors and our maimed veterans as fit subjects for derision.
-- Major General Patrick Cleburne
The Confederacy had no better soldiers
than the Arkansans--fearless, brave, and oftentimes courageous beyond
prudence. Dickart History of Kershaws Brigade.

phadedhawg

This is gonna go over really well I am positive....

bphi11ips

Quote from: Hoggie17 on September 13, 2017, 01:43:14 pm
11 win season is far from ashes. The last year of BP.

Not the kind of ashes Bolin was talking about.

OneLard makes good points, and do does Bolin. "Saviors" may be a little strong, but we are a lot better off than we were the day Petrino wrecked his bike.
Life is too short for grudges and feuds.

phadedhawg

Quote from: bphi11ips on September 13, 2017, 03:42:21 pm

OneLard makes good points, and do does Bolin. "Saviors" may be a little strong, but we are a lot better off than we were the day Petrino wrecked his bike.

I certainly agree with that last comment.  Things are better than they were but those were dark days.

elksnort

JD Hogg

I would argue that things got real bad the day he was fired, but I get what you're saying.

EastexHawg

Quote from: OneLardAlmighty on September 13, 2017, 01:43:24 pm
he was a surprising 'splash' hire with a strong track record that immediately rescued us from a 2 year national embarrassment and got us immediate respect. 

The rest of the country wasn't recoiling in horror from the Petrino story.  It wasn't Sandusky and Penn State, with children being raped in the showers at the football facility.  Actually almost no one really cared about it.  It was an embarrassing story, along the lines of "ha ha, what a dolt", but it wouldn't have lasted. 

By the way, when I remarked in another thread about how much weight Bielema has gained since coming to Arkansas someone said the photo I was referring to was from his early Wisconsin days.  This one...isn't.  Not that it matters much, but the difference is shocking.

Locutus_of_Boar

Quote from: OneLardAlmighty on September 13, 2017, 01:43:24 pm
I'm coming to the sad conclusion that this just isn't going to work, but that doesn't mean we have to treat this like the Houston Nutt saga.

The Nutt saga only became a saga after he flirted with Nebraska in 2003 and got the infamous 2 year free pass.  At that point most Arkansas fans realized his agent had maneuvered JFB into a corner from which there was no quick escape as Frank had done with all his other coaches.  There would be no internal effort to oust Nutt while Houston continued to add insult to injury spinning the soap opera to ever greater heights driving the fan base to ever more vocal opposition till Broyles retirement was the only way to end it all.

Long doesn't want to go down that road and test whether he is more popular than JFB.

HoggyCat

Quote from: DeltaBoy on September 13, 2017, 01:33:10 pm
In what universe is that writer from????

Straight out of Jeff Long's office.  If you can't understand that.....
I'm only responsible for what I say, not how you perceive it.

factchecker

Quote from: PorkRinds on September 13, 2017, 01:22:14 pm
Everyone hates Bolin already. This will not help.

I seriously think he trolls the fanbase on purpose.

He will write an all out negative article that will have Hogville wanting to give him an award for best sports writing then turn around and write something like this that draws hate.
WORK FOR IT
PLAN ON IT
EARN IT
OMAHOGS

cj_sez

Saved the program? By disheartening the fan base through destroying the hope to aspire to success?

fakenews

Quote from: Boss Hog in the Arkansas on September 13, 2017, 01:31:12 pm
I didn't know Bolin was disliked. I thought he was a straight shooter (excluding this article of course)

Im wondering the same thing. I dont love this article but I see where he is coming from. In a week he had one positive and one negative article and both of them were pretty true but people hate him. Whatd I miss? No one else is even writing anything with an opinon.

factchecker

Quote from: Boss Hog in the Arkansas on September 13, 2017, 01:31:12 pm

People think Bolin is a straight shooter because he is negative most of the time.  However, when he feels like people are agreeing with him too much he will turn around and write something like this to cause controversy.  He is a part of the new breed of writers who want clicks over substance.  They rather give a hot take then produce a well written article.
WORK FOR IT
PLAN ON IT
EARN IT
OMAHOGS

The Great Hambino

This guy gets paid for this "journalism." Keep that in mind.

fakenews

I dont actually see him give a take much. First I ever heard of him was this week and looks like hes been there a year. Can someone point me in directin?

HoggyCat

Quote from: The Great Hambino on September 13, 2017, 05:51:23 pm
This guy gets paid for this "journalism." Keep that in mind.

He's no different than the other presstitutes.  There was a certain "reporter" on here that had his credentials pulled by Jeffi for not lining up with the company line. It wasn't until he made a public apology and put up a life size cutout of Jeffi in direct view of the camera on his radio simulcast that he got it all back.  That's what they're scared of.
I'm only responsible for what I say, not how you perceive it.

fakenews

Hes no different than other presstitutes but the guy above said he almost always writes negative? We as fans dont know which way is up right now. I know I dont. We want to be angry at someone whether its Long or Bielema or Bolin or Bo. Lets just hope we get it turned around this season and then figure it all out

FaytownHog

I would rather be hated for winning with a coach that some don't like than no one hating us, because no one knows we exist and are irrelevant on the national stage. That does not equal saving to me.

Porkchop#1

Quote from: DeltaBoy on September 13, 2017, 01:33:10 pm
In what universe is that writer from????
They say men are from Mars, and women from Venus, so I'll say Venus.

HardCore

We was 11-2 and coming off a Sugar Bowl.....how are we better now?  We can't beat TCU, Texas Tech, or Toledo
Beware the lollipop of mediocrity; lick it once and you'll suck forever....Brian Wilson (Beach Boys)

Granny fan

ADavisTheGOAT

Razorbacks | Redskins | Pelicans | LA Tech

PorkRinds

Quote from: DeltaBoy on September 13, 2017, 01:48:55 pm
Nutt was a winner and a fighter , He was one of us.  Bret was just born on a Hog Farm.  His recruiting failures are showing this year.

:puke: :puke: :puke:

hoghearted

Quote from: FaytownHog on September 13, 2017, 09:04:01 pm
I would rather be hated for winning with a coach that some don't like than no one hating us, because no one knows we exist and are irrelevant on the national stage. That does not equal saving to me.
It really is this simple. Unchecked government power leads to corruption, and lack of accountability for it is drastically eroding confidence in our institutions.    aristotle