Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

oregon state

Started by Kevin, October 09, 2017, 02:02:45 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Kevin

Submit yourselves therefore to God. Resist the devil and he will flee from you.<br />James 4:7
Reject Every Kind Of Evil 1 Thessalonians 5:22

SPAL

Waived all future compensation.

SPAL

"Coaching is not about the almighty dollar"

RME

I bet we're gonna see some really new, fresh arguments stemming from this thread.

Keywords to look out for: buyout, Wisconsin, Alvarez, Long, walk-away, resign, built-to-win.

MissippHog

"Coach Andersen's decision to waive his remaining compensation is unprecedented in major college athletics," Barnes said. "His decision is made for the right reasons and values, and it speaks volumes about the kind of honorable person that Gary Andersen is."

SPAL

Quote from: RyanMallettsEgo on October 09, 2017, 02:06:51 pm
I bet we're gonna see some really new, fresh arguments stemming from this thread.

Keywords to look out for: buyout, Wisconsin, Alvarez, Long, walk-away, resign, built-to-win.

This really added to the discussion. What a contributor. You're kinda like Arkansas football special teams....you're here, we just don't know why.

RME

Quote from: sir-pigs-a-lot on October 09, 2017, 02:09:55 pm
This really added to the discussion. What a contributor. You're kinda like Arkansas football special teams....you're here, we just don't know why.

Just like the original post and this thread's overall theme has so much to do with Arkansas football, right? In RB Sports Discussion. In Monday Morning Quarterback. With the description "For all your Razorback sports discussion."

Yeah. Try again.

Wild Bill Hog

Quote from: MissippHog on October 09, 2017, 02:08:58 pm
"Coach Andersen's decision to waive his remaining compensation is unprecedented in major college athletics," Barnes said. "His decision is made for the right reasons and values, and it speaks volumes about the kind of honorable person that Gary Andersen is."

Sounds like the man has integrity.

Ex-Trumpet

Quote from: RyanMallettsEgo on October 09, 2017, 02:12:24 pm
Just like the original post and this thread's overall theme has so much to do with Arkansas football, right? In RB Sports Discussion. In Monday Morning Quarterback. With the description "For all your Razorback sports discussion."

Yeah. Try again.

Do you not see the parallel to the states of the two programs?
Do dyslexic, agnostic insomniacs lie awake at night wondering if there really is a dog?

Wisco Pig

I do wonder what's going on with Andersen.   He seemed unhappy in Madison about 15 minutes after he got there.

SPAL

Quote from: RyanMallettsEgo on October 09, 2017, 02:12:24 pm

Yeah. Try again.

And yet without hesitation, you clicked it, opened it, read it, typed some ridiculous and nonsensical gibberish, hit submit, puffed out your chest and thought to yourself, "that was a good post. That's gonna get some giggles. "

My advice....if you can't see why this has something to do with Arkansas football, just don't open the thread.

RME

Quote from: Ex-Trumpet on October 09, 2017, 02:15:09 pm
Do you not see the parallel to the states of the two programs?

I can see the spin that some people will try to put on it to compare the two programs, thus the keywords I highlighted in a previous post.

But no, I don't see comparisons between Oregon State and Arkansas apart from the Alvarez-Wisconsin-Andersen-Bielema stretch of a connection.

dhizzle

Well ain't that nice of him.

RME

Quote from: sir-pigs-a-lot on October 09, 2017, 02:15:54 pm
And yet without hesitation, you clicked it, opened it, read it, typed some ridiculous and nonsensical gibberish, hit submit, puffed out your chest and thought to yourself, "that was a good post. That's gonna get some giggles. "

My advice....if you can't see why this has something to do with Arkansas football, just don't open the thread.

My advice...it's an internet message board. Don't take it so seriously.

hog of steele

Quote from: MissippHog on October 09, 2017, 02:08:58 pm
"His decision is made for the right reasons and values, and it speaks volumes about the kind of honorable person that Gary Andersen is."

said the guy whose program saved the millions owed on the contract. Obviously he is at liberty to wave future compensation, but it is a strange move.

hogsanity

It is newsworthy because, IF the Hogs end up looking for a coach it is another spot open that a up and comer might take. The terms of his departure are meaningless to me.
People ask me what I do in winter when there is no baseball.  I will tell you what I do. I stare out the window, and I wait for spring.

"Anything goes wrong, anything at all, your fault, my fault, nobodies fault, I'm going to blow your head off."  John Wayne in BIG JAKE

dhizzle

That's one hell of an AD talking a coach into not taking what is owed to him.

PorkRinds

Quote from: Wild Bill Hog on October 09, 2017, 02:14:27 pm
Sounds like the man has integrity.

We just found our next hire....

SPAL

Quote from: RyanMallettsEgo on October 09, 2017, 02:18:13 pm
My advice...it's an internet message board. Don't take it so seriously.

Noted

RME

Quote from: hogsanity on October 09, 2017, 02:19:31 pm
It is newsworthy because, IF the Hogs end up looking for a coach it is another spot open that a up and comer might take. The terms of his departure are meaningless to me.

Are we looking for a coach? Have I missed something?

SPAL

Quote from: RyanMallettsEgo on October 09, 2017, 02:22:49 pm
Are we looking for a coach? Have I missed something?

I think you missed a BIG ALL CAPS WORD

Hoggish1

Quote from: sir-pigs-a-lot on October 09, 2017, 02:04:50 pm
Waived all future compensation.

How high does that put him on Long's integrity meter?

hog of steele

Quote from: dhizzle on October 09, 2017, 02:19:44 pm
That's one hell of an AD talking a coach into not taking what is owed to him.

This is the real story. How did this  conversation go?

AD: We agreed to pay you through 2021 but we would like you to just leave with nothing...
Coach: No
AD: Please? 
Coach: Nope
Ad: Well we went looking at your computers internet history
coach: say no more, its been nice working for you.

RME

Quote from: sir-pigs-a-lot on October 09, 2017, 02:24:39 pm
I think you missed a BIG ALL CAPS WORD

Nah, I saw "IF."

"IF" means absolutely nothing at this time.

IF we really have to go up against Oregon State for a coaching hire, and IF some guy has to decide between Oregon State and Arkansas as his final two and chooses Oregon State, I'll do you a favor and leave this board.

IF we fire Bret, we might land Saban IF Alabama loses out and they fire him.

Keep in mind, that's IF.

Dwight_K_Shrute

Waiving all future compensation is a bit odd.  I could see if the coach felt bad about how he has performed negotiating it down and having an amicable split where you say it's just not working.

It comes at an awkward time and sets an interesting precedent especially for coaches that claim to be about integrity.  I'm not saying that all coaches should waive their buyouts completely but does it put pressure on those that may have a reputation to think about to say, OK it's not working let's make this split something we can both live with so it doesn't do any further damage to my reputation or your program.
Little known fact, but prior to settling on Guantanamo, the Pentagon wanted to house terror suspects at War Memorial Stadium.  It was deemed to be cruel and unusual punishment and in violation of the Geneva Convention.

hogsanity

Quote from: RyanMallettsEgo on October 09, 2017, 02:27:08 pm
Nah, I saw "IF."

"IF" means absolutely nothing at this time.

IF we really have to go up against Oregon State for a coaching hire, and IF some guy has to decide between Oregon State and Arkansas as his final two and chooses Oregon State, I'll do you a favor and leave this board.

IF we fire Bret, we might land Saban IF Alabama loses out and they fire him.

Keep in mind, that's IF.

I was just trying to find some reason for this to be on the razorbacks message board. Otherwise it has no merit being here.
People ask me what I do in winter when there is no baseball.  I will tell you what I do. I stare out the window, and I wait for spring.

"Anything goes wrong, anything at all, your fault, my fault, nobodies fault, I'm going to blow your head off."  John Wayne in BIG JAKE

dhizzle

Quote from: hog of steele on October 09, 2017, 02:25:06 pm

AD: We agreed to pay you through 2021 but we would like you to just leave with nothing...

I know, I have become a cynical person. I can't believe a coach or any person for that matter would just leave millions of dollars on the table.

I've never seen that. He got fired but didn't hold them to any of the buyout money.

hog of steele

Quote from: Dwight_K_Shrute on October 09, 2017, 02:28:02 pm
It comes at an awkward time and sets an interesting precedent especially for coaches that claim to be about integrity.  I'm not saying that all coaches should waive their buyouts completely but does it put pressure on those that may have a reputation to think about to say, OK it's not working let's make this split something we can both live with so it doesn't do any further damage to my reputation or your program.

Could you imagine being a coach and having to come home to tell your wife you just waived a few million dollars in compensation? I am sure she would be thrilled.

hog of steele

Quote from: dhizzle on October 09, 2017, 02:28:43 pm
I know, I have become a cynical person. I can't believe a coach or any person for that matter would just leave millions of dollars on the table.

I am not terribly cynical but this move is not heroic. Its not the integrity move. Its just stupid. If the coach did this for the reasons stated then they should have fired him for being a moron. There is more to this story.

HogSlop84

We all know this guy, will not walk away that easy.

ChicoHog

Andersen did a great job at Utah St before taking the Wisconsin job.  He did ok there but didn't like the academic restrictions and Alvarez telling him what style of football to play.  He will resurface at a group of five school somewhere out west like a New Mexico or something similar.  I think OSU did the right thing.  Good for the Beavers and I hope they find their man.  Benny-any ideas who they like? 

hogsanity

Quote from: hog of steele on October 09, 2017, 02:31:10 pm
I am not terribly cynical but this move is not heroic. Its not the integrity move. Its just stupid. If the coach did this for the reasons stated then they should have fired him for being a moron. There is more to this story.

Yea something does not ring true about this.

SPAL

Quote from: hog of steele on October 09, 2017, 02:31:10 pm

Most of this board is saying...."CBB is terrible. He is a failure. He should waive his buyout because he doesn't deserve it." Which is asinine.

Then, a coach actually does it and you thinks that's asinine also.

So, you're of the opinion CBB should demand his entire buyout. No negotiating , nothing waived....just the whole pot of gold.

HawgTide

Quote from: Dwight_K_Shrute on October 09, 2017, 02:28:02 pm
Waiving all future compensation is a bit odd.  I could see if the coach felt bad about how he has performed negotiating it down and having an amicable split where you say it's just not working.

It sets the bar pretty high. I wouldn't expect CBB to do the same thing but if he would renegotiate his buyout to 7 or 8 mil hes's gone this year.

Dwight_K_Shrute

Quote from: HawgTide on October 09, 2017, 02:36:10 pm

It sets the bar pretty high. I wouldn't expect CBB to do the same thing but if he would renegotiate his buyout to 7 or 8 mil hes's gone this year.

Exactly, no way I think he will or even expect him to walk away, but could see a negotiated settlement especially if it goes totally to hell and we finish with 3 or 4 wins.
Little known fact, but prior to settling on Guantanamo, the Pentagon wanted to house terror suspects at War Memorial Stadium.  It was deemed to be cruel and unusual punishment and in violation of the Geneva Convention.

phadedhawg

Would be nice if Bert took the same road.  Odds are Bert is only gonna win 3 games this year, it would be hard to ask for a 15 million check after posting a record such as that.  If Bert got us to a bowl (impossible but let's say he did) I could see him wanting his money. 

So if Jeff Long gets rid of Bert without having to have a yard sale to raise cash, does that take the heat off of him?   If the buyout ceases to be a club for Bubba to hit him with, will the yankee hatred still demand a change in the BAC?

hogsanity

Quote from: sir-pigs-a-lot on October 09, 2017, 02:34:26 pm

So, you're of the opinion CBB should demand his entire buyout. No negotiating , nothing waived....just the whole pot of gold.

Darn skippy he should, as should any coach fired for not winning enough. Then he should take his $ and go live a fine life without the stress of coaching. And he should drop like 150lbs so he has a better shot at enjoying a long life.

hog of steele

Quote from: sir-pigs-a-lot on October 09, 2017, 02:34:26 pm
Most of this board is saying...."CBB is terrible. He is a failure. He should waive his buyout because he doesn't deserve it." Which is asinine.

Then, a coach actually does it and you thinks that's asinine also.

I don't care what most of the board says. This coach did something incredibly stupid. If CBB waves one penny of his buyout, he is the goofball that most around here claim him to be. He has a wife and a kid. That is his team. Money makes opportunities for his family. That needs to be his focus. I don't care how unhappy he is, we have all had to work hard in jobs we didn't like at one point or another. And his "tough job" is coaching a game for 4 million a year.

phadedhawg

If Bert has managed his money well he's not going to go hungry without a huge payday on the way out the door.  He's well compensated already. 

Plus, I'm sure the SEC Network would love to have him on the Saturday morning shows.  He's got potential to make money down the road and that potential goes up if he doesn't set the BAC on fire on the way out the door.

hog of steele

Quote from: phadedhawg on October 09, 2017, 02:39:21 pm
Would be nice if Bert took the same road.  Odds are Bert is only gonna win 3 games this year, it would be hard to ask for a 15 million check after posting a record such as that. 

You are missing the point. He already asked for the money. Its not as if he is asking for a raise. He is just enforcing the contract he already negotiated.

hog of steele

Quote from: phadedhawg on October 09, 2017, 02:41:30 pm
If Bert has managed his money well he's not going to go hungry without a huge payday on the way out the door.  He's well compensated already. 

Plus, I'm sure the SEC Network would love to have him on the Saturday morning shows.  He's got potential to make money down the road and that potential goes up if he doesn't set the BAC on fire on the way out the door.

His desirability to the SEC netword does not change by taking the money he is already owed.

Boardon Hamsay

We should use this situation to get some practice on flight tracking.  I bet the tail numbers for the OSU planes are N0BEAVER1, NEBEAVER2, Y0RBEAVER3.
Quote from: Pillowhead Jackson on October 16, 2017, 07:51:05 pmDo nursing homes buy a lot of lobsters for their residents or are you back behind the trash dumpster selling hot lobsters ito Uncle Dewey for his social security money?
Quote from: Rudy Baylor on March 26, 2019, 08:33:58 pmBill Self seriously just jogged by my front yard. I almost accidentally sprayed him with Weed&Feed
Quote from: thebignasty on April 03, 2019, 12:07:41 pmExploitation of quantum mechanics pretty much has to be addressed in the NCAA handbook.
Quote from: theFlyingHog on June 09, 2021, 10:50:01 amYou certainly keep the waters well chummed.
Quote from: PonderinHog on October 22, 2021, 10:03:28 amI'm no longer drinking yet.

longpig

Quote from: hog of steele on October 09, 2017, 02:25:06 pm

You may be onto something.
Don't be scared, be smart.

phadedhawg

Quote from: hog of steele on October 09, 2017, 02:42:45 pm
His desirability to the SEC netword does not change by taking the money he is already owed.

So now we are campaigning for Bert to get his full buyout?  Okay, doesn't make sense to me but they never run these things by me anyway. 

hog of steele

Quote from: phadedhawg on October 09, 2017, 02:44:40 pm
So now we are campaigning for Bert to get his full buyout?  Okay, doesn't make sense to me but they never run these things by me anyway.

Campaigning? No. I hope he gets a nice job offer somewhere else and bails. That would be good for him and good for us. But if he is fired, he should demand every penny. It is what the rest of us would do.

hogsanity

Quote from: hog of steele on October 09, 2017, 02:41:49 pm
You are missing the point. He already asked for the money. Its not as if he is asking for a raise. He is just enforcing the contract he already negotiated.

Exactly.

3Scoreand10

Bielema made statements about what he wanted to do when he was hired.
He has failed and it does not look like he will ever succeed.
IF he is the good and honorable man many on this forum say he is, he would do as Anderson has done.

We will see.

hogsanity

Quote from: 3Scoreand10 on October 09, 2017, 03:33:07 pm
Bielema made statements about what he wanted to do when he was hired.
He has failed and it does not look like he will ever succeed.
IF he is the good and honorable man many on this forum say he is, he would do as Anderson has done.

We will see.

Why? BOTH SIDES signed the contract. IF BB had decided to leave for another job do you think the Hogs would have waived their side of the buyout?

3Scoreand10

Quote from: hogsanity on October 09, 2017, 03:35:02 pm
Why? BOTH SIDES signed the contract. IF BB had decided to leave for another job do you think the Hogs would have waived their side of the buyout?

So a good and honorable man will DEMAND to be paid his full due even when he has failed to deliver what that money was to buy?
I do not dispute the legal contract, but how could he in good conscious accept what he has not earned.