Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Hear me out before hanging me!

Started by lakecityhog, December 22, 2017, 09:21:52 am

Previous topic - Next topic

lakecityhog

So far I like what I see with recruiting, especially on defense.

Everyone seems to equate Morris with Malzahn, and I know he learned a lot from him, but I see a lot of Petrino in him. People say Petrino ignored the D, but that isn't true at all. He recruited pretty darned well on defense, he just wouldn't let the defense work with the same intensity as the offense.(I hope Morris doesn't have that Petrino trait!) I really like the offensive balance with his run game and the pressure put on the opposing D with the passing game.

I know that Wright, Adams, Gragg and Hamilton turned out to be great receivers for Arkansas and I also know that a couple of them were pretty highly rated. But, were they good receivers or did Petrino turn them into great receivers? I think he made them better than they were. I mean he measured their strides for route running purposes! He was so meticulous about the offense and how to make it run at the highest level.

Where am I going with this? Morris appears to be focusing on the most athletic guys that he can find for the D because defense requires the better athletes. I believe that he knows he can score with not quite the same talent level on O simply due to his system.

If this trend continues and he does get a top notch DC we could surprise a lot of people in year 2 and 3! With the talent on campus today(if they buy in) we can go bowling in year 1, but years 2 and 3 could be better. Scoring is great, but in the SEC winning comes with a good to great defense!

OneTuskOverTheLineā„¢

Quote from: lakecityhog on December 22, 2017, 09:21:52 am

Everyone seems to equate Morris with Malzahn, and I know he learned a lot from him, but I see a lot of Petrino in him. People say Petrino ignored the D, but that isn't true at all. He recruited pretty darned well on defense, he just wouldn't let the defense work with the same intensity as the offense.(I hope Morris doesn't have that Petrino trait!) I really like the offensive balance with his run game and the pressure put on the opposing D with the passing game.

I know that Wright, Adams, Gragg and Hamilton turned out to be great receivers for Arkansas and I also know that a couple of them were pretty highly rated. But, were they good receivers or did Petrino turn them into great receivers? I think he made them better than they were. I mean he measured their strides for route running purposes! He was so meticulous about the offense and how to make it run at the highest level.

Where am I going with this? Morris appears to be focusing on the most athletic guys that he can find for the D because defense requires the better athletes. I believe that he knows he can score with not quite the same talent level on O simply due to his system.

If this trend continues and he does get a top notch DC we could surprise a lot of people in year 2 and 3! With the talent on campus today(if they buy in) we can go bowling in year 1, but years 2 and 3 could be better. Scoring is great, but in the SEC winning comes with a good to great defense!

Not only what you stated, but the fact that he will work with HS coaches and help them in anyway will lead to even more athletes familiar with his system and approach. The longer he is here the easier it will be for him to stay. Let's hope Arkansas can win his heart.
Quote from: capehog on March 12, 2010...
My ex wife had a pet monkey I used to play with. That was one of the few things I liked about her

quote from: golf2day on June 19, 2014....
I'm disgusted, but kinda excited. Now I'm disgusted that I'm excited.

Ā 

Vantage 8 dude

December 22, 2017, 12:17:55 pm #2 Last Edit: December 22, 2017, 05:06:18 pm by Vantage 8 dude
Quote from: lakecityhog on December 22, 2017, 09:21:52 am

Why would anyone want to hang you ??? Nothing you've said is beyond the scope of possibly. No doubt CCM and staff has some major challenges ahead, obviously not the least of which starts within our own division, however, it CAN be done with a lot of hard work, proper recruiting/coaching and player development. Am I expecting a miracle of next year? Well that depends on how one defines the word. I DO believe that with some luck and a lot of the previous mentioned factors we very well could/should qualify for a bowl (say a record of 7-5). Down the road a bit further I could see us steadily progressing and improving on that result.

chiti66

Good write-up.  I understand the pessimism regarding next year...but I am more than optimistic that we'll at the very least go 6-6 next year.  And 7-5 is not a pipe dream.  My concern is always our ceiling.  I want us to become a team where-by an 8-win season is automatic and challenging for the SEC-W and SEC is expected!  Go HOGS!!

lakecityhog

I know that there are many people that don't like Petrino and probably not like me comparing Morris to him. I just happen to see some similarities. I just hope that the traits that are similar to BP are the traits of no BS, being driven to succeed, meticulous attention to detail and a refusal to accept less than the best from players and coaches! AND NOT the control freak jerkiness that spoils relationships!

I just feel like Morris will run an offense more similar to Petrino than to Gus. Like Gus he will move fast and try to run a LOT more plays per game. This in my mind serves 2 purposes, 1 it give the offense more chances to be successful and 2 it has to wear on the opposing D.

I think that like petrino he will run a power run game while stretching the field with the passing game. I do think he will stretch the field both ways, not only vertically but sideline to sideline too. I also believe that a passing game that spreads the defense will make the running game that much more likely to succeed! It will be so much harder for teams to stack the box like they did with the BB offense.

My #1 concern is his staff, can they perform at a true SEC level? His assistants will make him or break him! I'm not saying the guys he's brought so far can't or won't, I'm saying I don't know and the simple truth is that only time will give us the answer.
I think if he hires a DC like a Chavis that we know he understands what he is facing in the SEC. From all appearances he plans to let the DC have a lot on input on the D assistants. The DC sets the tone for the whole D staff and his knowledge/experience will be what drives the defense. Assistants will coach to his plan just like Morris will drive the O and his guys coach to his plan.

(Mods, if this needs to be moved to MMQB feel free!)

Vantage 8 dude

Quote from: lakecityhog on December 22, 2017, 02:23:21 pm
I know that there are many people that don't like Petrino and probably not like me comparing Morris to him. I just happen to see some similarities. I just hope that the traits that are similar to BP are the traits of no BS, being driven to succeed, meticulous attention to detail and a refusal to accept less than the best from players and coaches! AND NOT the control freak jerkiness that spoils relationships!

I just feel like Morris will run an offense more similar to Petrino than to Gus. Like Gus he will move fast and try to run a LOT more plays per game. This in my mind serves 2 purposes, 1 it give the offense more chances to be successful and 2 it has to wear on the opposing D.

I think that like petrino he will run a power run game while stretching the field with the passing game. I do think he will stretch the field both ways, not only vertically but sideline to sideline too. I also believe that a passing game that spreads the defense will make the running game that much more likely to succeed! It will be so much harder for teams to stack the box like they did with the BB offense.

My #1 concern is his staff, can they perform at a true SEC level? His assistants will make him or break him! I'm not saying the guys he's brought so far can't or won't, I'm saying I don't know and the simple truth is that only time will give us the answer.
I think if he hires a DC like a Chavis that we know he understands what he is facing in the SEC. From all appearances he plans to let the DC have a lot on input on the D assistants. The DC sets the tone for the whole D staff and his knowledge/experience will be what drives the defense. Assistants will coach to his plan just like Morris will drive the O and his guys coach to his plan.

(Mods, if this needs to be moved to MMQB feel free!)
Well perhaps Chad can turn out to be an offensive genius like Petrino but with a pleasant personality AND a willingness to have his team play some tough and stingy defense.  ;)

redeye

The only thing I disagree with is that I don't think Wright, Adams, Gragg and Hamilton were only great because Petrino made them that way.  I do think he helped and that he allowed them to be great, but they were already great, imo.  Petrino can make average receivers look great, but I don't think he had to with these guys.

I also notice you left off Greg Childs?   Before his injury, he was arguably the best of them all.  Did you just forget about him or do you think he was an exception?

lakecityhog

Simply left him off, sorry for the oversight! He was my favorite and given good knees I believe would have had a stellar NFL career!
I think they were very good, maybe not great and Petrino helped them to become great. He maximized their talents and showcased their skills.

redeye

Quote from: lakecityhog on December 22, 2017, 04:43:01 pm
Simply left him off, sorry for the oversight! He was my favorite and given good knees I believe would have had a stellar NFL career!
I think they were very good, maybe not great and Petrino helped them to become great. He maximized their talents and showcased their skills.

It was a mixture of both.  Adams had escapability that you can't teach.  Gragg had the size/speed combo and Wright had the speed/route timing ability.  Hamilton was very good, but I always considered him the biggest product of Petrino.

Everyone had a different opinion on who was the best receiver, but I'm with you.  I think Childs would have had a stellar NFL career without the injury.

Even so, I do think Petrino had a lot to do with it, too.  When he takes over a program, quarterbacks and receivers are suddenly much improved.  I still think it's amazing how Wilson entered the Auburn game, after Mallett's injury, and played like he'd been the starter all season.  I also think Petrino's underrated for his ability to make skilled players better.

Hopefully you're right and Morris has this ability, too.  I'd love nothing more, although I'm a little skeptical.  However, Malzahn doesn't have this ability, but he still knows how to field a great offense, so I don't think it's critical, either.  I hate to say it, and I know others hate to hear it, but there's something special about Petrino, imo.  I noticed it while he was coaching Louisville in his first stint and I think Scott Frost may be nearly as good for Nebraska.

Bkhardicars

Fairly spot on. I agree that BP didn't IGNORE defense. His practices were scripted with a nod towards the offense for sure..I do believe this inhibited our defenses, but I think they were better than what we've seen the last 5 yrs.