Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Possible Addition by subtraction...

Started by PlanoHog, December 19, 2017, 04:42:17 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

PlanoHog

If GB had committed to UA, you lost any shot at Grant Gunnell. We had fallen behind with GG into 4th place. They were not pleased that we offered GB, a dual threat QB, as Grant offers the same skill set. Most services list him as a pocket QB, but he's not, he's elusive, very good speed with one of the most acurate arms you'll ever see in HS. UA has some ground to make up with Grant. But there's lots of time.

I also realize Morris is in a no win situation, as he has to pursue GB. If he flurishes elsewhere, and he didn't make a concerted effort to sign him, he'd be hung in effigy. But Baylor coveted GB. He was their #1 target and went all out. They are desperate to build around someone like GB and believe he can be that guy.  All in all I'm very pleased to have Connor then let Grant take his time to decide. I think you could see a decision by end of June.
The entertainer formerly known as TheOtherWhiteMeat.

greenie

Excellent post, and a nice positive outlook.

Another thing your post points out is that ALL recruits look at the competion at their position at each school under consideration.  GB decided to go some place that was in obvious need.  If this gets us in a better position to woo Gunnell, then that's certainly a positive takeaway.

Bubba's Bruisers

Quote from: PlanoHog on December 19, 2017, 04:42:17 pm
If GB had committed to UA, you lost any shot at Grant Gunnell. We had fallen behind with GG into 4th place. They were not pleased that we offered GB, a dual threat QB, as Grant offers the same skill set. Most services list him as a pocket QB, but he's not, he's elusive, very good speed with one of the most acurate arms you'll ever see in HS. UA has some ground to make up with Grant. But there's lots of time.

I also realize Morris is in a no win situation, as he has to pursue GB. If he flurishes elsewhere, and he didn't make a concerted effort to sign him, he'd be hung in effigy. But Baylor coveted GB. He was their #1 target and went all out. They are desperate to build around someone like GB and believe he can be that guy.  All in all I'm very pleased to have Connor then let Grant take his time to decide. I think you could see a decision by end of June.

I agree.  Didn't really need GB as a QB.  Would have loved him as an athlete, though.  Not a huge lose IMO.

The irony, however, is this post suggests that GG fears competition.  GB also feared competition, and most seemingly agree that we don't want a kid who doesn't want to compete.  It even suggests that GG is trying to impose his will on the UA.  That maybe he wouldn't come here if we take GB.  Gasp!!

Man, the nerve of the kids these days.

I kid, I kid...

Would kill to get GG next year, even if he dare desires to be the ONLY QB in the class. 
I will put enmity between you and the woman, and between your offspring and her offspring; he shall bruise your head, and you shall bruise his heal.

Genesis 3:15

HogCzar1

Quote from: PlanoHog on December 19, 2017, 04:42:17 pm

Nice post. However, if we have fallen off to 4th with Grant Gunnell then how realistic a shot does CCM to sign him, or, had we fallen that far down prior to CCM being hired?

I was under the impression that the hiring of CCM greatly enhanced our chances with Grant.

HogNTX

This is how I look at this signing period.

The guys we lose like GB (never had him), Flanagan (could hurt), Hanspard?, and Banks (would've flipped anyway) are guys that Morris actively talked to and either didn't pursue heavily, didn't promise them something he couldn't, or wanted and just didn't get. And those guys have been offset with Ferrell, Woods, Robinson, and Bishop. Not a bad trade off.

Plus this movement allows Morris to put his guys in those slots.

Also remember that this class is small... we're not revamping the roster this year in recruiting... there's some selectivity that needs to occur and will have to occur.

I expect Noland, Woods, Ferrell, Robinson, Bishop, and Pool to sign tomorrow and that's a solid core to this class.... and half this signing class as well.

King Kong

Bubba's Bruisers

Quote from: HogNTX on December 19, 2017, 05:11:47 pm
This is how I look at this signing period.

The guys we lose like GB (never had him), Flanagan (could hurt), Hanspard?, and Banks (would've flipped anyway) are guys that Morris actively talked to and either didn't pursue heavily, didn't promise them something he couldn't, or wanted and just didn't get. And those guys have been offset with Ferrell, Woods, Robinson, and Bishop. Not a bad trade off.

Plus this movement allows Morris to put his guys in those slots.

Also remember that this class is small... we're not revamping the roster this year in recruiting... there's some selectivity that needs to occur and will have to occur.

I expect Noland, Woods, Ferrell, Robinson, Bishop, and Pool to sign tomorrow and that's a solid core to this class.... and half this signing class as well.

Bravo.  Agree.

Although, I'm not really sure there's going to be many Morris guys to fill spots.  I mean there will likely be some, but at this late stage, it's doubtfull any will be eye openers.  About the only name guy still I can think of who's still hanging out there is the 1 Moore twin.  Maybe we sway him.  He'd be an eye opener.

I'd say this was the perfect time for a coaching transition sans the early signing period hurdle.  This class was going to be fairly small and ordinary regardless.  Had we waited to can BB next December, that could have been a real recruiting disaster.
I will put enmity between you and the woman, and between your offspring and her offspring; he shall bruise your head, and you shall bruise his heal.

Bubba's Bruisers

Quote from: King Kong on December 19, 2017, 05:12:17 pm
Gunnell is far from a sure thing

Yeah, the fight for his services hasn't even started yet.  It'll be furious.

PlanoHog

Quote from: King Kong on December 19, 2017, 05:12:17 pm
Gunnell is far from a sure thing

Never suggested he's a sure thing but an amazing talent. One of the top 10 QBs I've watched in Texas in the past 35 years living and as well as time recruiting here.

They do like Morris, and it does help but I'd say at this stage, we'd be facing him in the SEC West, and it wouldn't be TAM.
The entertainer formerly known as TheOtherWhiteMeat.

Oklahawg

When CCM didn't even contact several UA commits it sent a bold, albeit risky, message: I am going to build this thing MY way. He has looked past JUCO guys who can help now for HS signees that will be here for the long run.

Not having a defensive staff formally in place is not helpful. I do get that CCM may know the names, and may even have been able to talk about those names with recruits, but I find it hard to believe that someone hasn't leaked the names yet.

Recruiting is about relationships. It takes years to woo some of these recruits to your school. Then, poof, the position coach moves on, or in our case, the entire staff. Suddenly, you are switching personality, philosophy, etc.

What you get with Gunnell is familiarity with UA in his family tree + the respect/relationship with Morris. Still an uphill battle, but we are at least in it.
I am a Hog fan. I was long before my name was etched, twice, on the sidewalks on the Hill. I will be long after Sam Pittman and Eric Mussleman are coaches, and Hunter Yuracheck is AD. I am a Hog fan when we win, when we lose and when we don't play. I love hearing the UA band play the National Anthem on game day, but I sing along to the Alma Mater. I am a Hog fan.<br /><br />A liberal education is at the heart of a civil society, and at the heart of a liberal education is the act of teaching. - Bart Giamatti <br /><br />"It is a puzzling thing. The truth knocks on the door and you say, 'Go away, I'm looking for the truth,' and so it goes away. Puzzling." ― Robert M. Pirsig<br /><br />Love is the most important thing in the world, but baseball is pretty good, too.  – Yogi Berra

Me Like Hogs

Quote from: HogCzar1 on December 19, 2017, 05:02:23 pm
Nice post. However, if we have fallen off to 4th with Grant Gunnell then how realistic a shot does CCM to sign him, or, had we fallen that far down prior to CCM being hired?

I was under the impression that the hiring of CCM greatly enhanced our chances with Grant.

We had fallen out of favor before CCM was hired. We had already gotten the verbal commit from the Evans kid from Colorado. We already had the QB for the '19 class. He has since reopened his recruitment. So I think we have as good of a shot as any other at this point.