Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Jim Harbaugh attempts his own March thru the Southeast

Started by jbcarol, January 11, 2016, 09:38:05 am

Previous topic - Next topic

jbcarol

Jim Harbaugh has another creative idea as he tries to rebuild Michigan into a national power, and it could affect how he competes with the SEC for top recruits in the South.

Harbaugh would like to hold a portion of Michigan's 2016 spring practices in Florida at IMG Academy in Bradenton

QuoteThe practices would likely to take place during a quiet period for NCAA recruiting, which is from early February to mid-April in 2016. That would severely limit any contact Harbaugh or his coaching staff could have with potential recruits, either from IMG Academy or other Florida high schools.

Recruits are allowed to visit campuses during this period and attend spring practices, but how the NCAA would react to Michigan's "campus" being 1,200 miles from Ann Arbor and located at one of the most fertile high schools for football recruits in the nation would be something to monitor...
Curated SEC Infotainment and aggregated college sports updates where it just means more on Hogville.net

jbcarol

Michael Carvell ‏@Carvell_AJC  2m2 minutes ago
Michigan's Jim Harbaugh defends controversial spring break plans on Twitter http://sec.news/1SYlZ8a

QuoteJim Harbaugh has received a lot of criticism for his decision to conduct a portion of Michigan's spring practices in Florida during Michigan's spring break, and after the NCAA president Mark Emmert voiced his displeasure, the Wolverines coach defended himself on Twitter.

Before Emmert shared his thoughts, SEC commissioner Greg Sankey took issue with Harbaugh's tactics.

There R B-Ball teams & other NCAA teams that spend summer breaks traveling to countries around the world for team bonding & team development

It's an amazing opportunity for the S.A. - ACC teams may have experienced such trips. How is football traveling to Bradenton so different?
Curated SEC Infotainment and aggregated college sports updates where it just means more on Hogville.net

Pulled(PP)pork

Why not, don't see the harm if he's playing by the rules

PP

jbcarol

Michael Carvell ‏@Carvell_AJC  48m48 minutes ago
Smart doesn't like Harbaugh's spring break idea http://sec.news/20RD2aT

jbcarol

Michael Carvell ‏@Carvell_AJC 58m58 minutes ago

Jim Harbaugh fires back at 'the Georgia coach' Kirby Smart http://sec.news/20VLPZz
https://twitter.com/CoachJim4UM/status/702600147553878016

jbcarol

Coach Harbaugh ‏@CoachJim4UM Feb 24

We cordially invite @FlaHSFootball coaches to all 4 practices & open up March 4th to family, friends & fans!

jbcarol

Michael Carvell ‏@Carvell_AJC 5m5 minutes ago

UGA coach Kirby Smart addresses Jim Harbaugh's 'barking up the wrong tree' tweet http://sec.news/1TdURCl

QuoteKirby Smart has only been UGA's coach for a few months, but he has already joined the long list of college football folks engaging in some sort of back-and-forth with fiery Michigan coach Jim Harbaugh.

On Monday, Smart offered a fairly standard opinion of Harbaugh's plans to hold spring practice sessions in Florida, saying that the Wolverines have every right to "gain a competitive advantage" while also noting that the NCAA should eventually step in to clearly define what is and is not allowed. Harbaugh fired back soon after with an explosive tweet that claimed Smart was "barking up the wrong tree" with his comments.

"No reaction," Smart told Jason Butt of The Macon Telegraph. "To be honest with you, I'm focused on what we can do at the University of Georgia to get better. That's the most important thing to me, getting better there."

who's next?

jbcarol

Michael Carvell ‏@Carvell_AJC Feb 26

Jim Harbaugh's spring fling frosts the SEC – and amuses me http://sec.news/1TbYVTF

QuoteJim Harbaugh is amusing me.

This business over Harbaugh bringing his Michigan Wolverines to Florida for four days of spring practice starting Monday isn't quite laugh-out-loud funny, but it definitely warrants a tee-hee. Anyone who ruffles SEC feathers when it comes to football recruiting gets high marks because — stop me if you've heard this one — the SEC is Very Serious about recruiting.

And it's just SEC coaches. Greg Sankey, the league's new commissioner, is seeking an NCAA rule prohibiting such spring-break forays. This prompted Harbaugh to respond via Twitter: "Does anyone find whining to be attractive?"
I came close to laughing out loud at that. Especially when Sankey's harrumphing comeback was, as reported by Brandon Marcello of Al.com: "I'm not going to reduce what is an important conversation to some childhood use of Twitter."

I get that SEC folks – and not only SEC folks; ACC commissioner John Swafford and the gasbag NCAA president Mark Emmert have weighed in – are upset. Regarding recruiting, the mighty SEC is accustomed to outflanking everybody. Remember Lane Kiffin buzzing around Atlanta in a helicopter while stumping for Tennessee? Remember how certain SEC schools helped usher the terms "oversigning" and "grayshirting" into the lexicon?

Sankey insists his objections to Harbaugh's spring fling are humanitarian: The mean ol' Michigan man is forcing student-athletes to toil in the Florida sunshine over their spring break. ("What's unfortunate is that people try to reduce this to simply a competitive issue," Sankey told Marcello.) But Kirby Smart, who played and works in the SEC, undercut that high-minded assertion, telling the Macon Touchdown Club: "They're obviously trying to gain a competitive advantage, and that's their right."

Yes, they are. And yes, it is.

Michigan's four Florida practices? They won't be held in some Ocala orange grove. They'll be staged in Bradenton at the IMG Academy, which features a dozen of the nation's top recruits for 2017. Jack and Jackie Harbaugh raised no dummies.

Smart called the IMG practices "a Pandora's box," which is coachspeak for, "How come we didn't think of that?" And that's the genius part of Harbaugh's Southern swing. There's no possible retaliatory strike.

Think about it. If an SEC coach told his players, "Men, you'll be spending spring break in Ypsilanti..."

Torqued pork

Quote from: jbcarol on February 26, 2016, 08:55:51 am
Coach Harbaugh ‏@CoachJim4UM Feb 24

We cordially invite @FlaHSFootball coaches to all 4 practices & open up March 4th to family, friends & fans!

yep, no agenda there. lol

jbcarol

Brandon Marcello ‏@bmarcello Mar 1

Gus Malzahn on @CoachJim4UM and Michigan in Florida: "Yeah, whatever." You've gotta watch the video: http://www.al.com/auburnfootball/index.ssf/2016/03/gus_malzahn_on_jim_harbaugh_in.html ...

jbcarol

Being held back by the Man:

Michael Carvell ‏@Carvell_AJC 37m37 minutes ago

NCAA office tells Arkansas, Bret Bielema they can't show up at Michigan practice http://sec.news/1TrLNtG

QuoteWolverines are currently in the midst of said practice, and Bielema is now part of a disapproving contingent that includes Sankey and Georgia coach Kirby Smart.

"If they're all open practices why don't we go and watch them?" Smart asked last week. "It's a Pandora's Box of what it's going to get into, obviously."

jbcarol

Bret Bielema ‏@BretBielema 2h2 hours ago

Just found out from NCAA office we can't go to IMG open practice because in NCAA football it's a quiet period 😳

Maybe next year #Jamaica

jbcarol

Butch Jones ‏@UTCoachJones 20h20 hours ago

Mind if I join you guys for lunch? @DantonioMark @BretBielema

Coach Harbaugh ‏@CoachJim4UM 34m34 minutes ago

Suggestion to my Rocky Top colleague, rather than lunch in Florida you might spend your time and focus attending to your present team.

jbcarol

Michael Carvell ‏@Carvell_AJC 10h10 hours ago

Kirk Herbstreit thinks Jim Harbaugh should square off against SEC foe http://sec.news/1QQ0m33

https://twitter.com/KirkHerbstreit/status/705564777456799748

QuoteThe only meeting between Michigan and Tennessee occurred in 2002, when the Volunteers pummelled the Wolverines 45-17 in the Florida Citrus Bowl. Certainly, a rematch in the near future would involve a lot more intrigue.

NaturalStateReb

I don't really have a problem with a team having an off-campus practice.  I think the big issue here is having a practice at a high school that's really a recruit factory during a recruiting quiet period. 

The rule should be no off-campus practices can be held at a high school or JUCO. 
"It's a trap!"--Houston Nutt and Admiral Ackbar, although Ackbar never called that play or ate that frito pie.

jbcarol

AL.com sports ‏@aldotcomSports 9m9 minutes ago

Jim Harbaugh is coming to an Alabama high school for satellite football camp in June http://ow.ly/Z54Rx 

jbcarol

jbcarol

https://twitter.com/HamiltonESPN/status/705869817857904640

Brandon Marcello ‏@bmarcello 17h17 hours ago

Brandon Marcello Retweeted Gerry Hamilton

How is Michigan going to win a game in 2016 by giving away all of its secrets in an open spring practice!?

jbcarol

AL.com sports ‏@aldotcomSports 15h15 hours ago

Per @KevinScarbinsky - Jim Harbaugh = Nick Saban - national championships: http://ow.ly/Z6PMX 

QuoteScarblog: So Jim Harbaugh had an interesting week.

He took his team on a spring break/spring practice road trip to a high school football factory in south Florida, then ripped out the heart of Tennessee coach Butch Jones and showed it to him.

Or, to use a more apt metaphor, Harbaugh ate his lunch.

Memo to Jones and any other coach foolish enough to spar with Harbaugh on Twitter: You can't out-troll the college football world's biggest troll.

As a cherry on top, we learned the Michigan coach and his staff will be returning to the Heart of Dixie for another satellite camp in June, this one at Bob Jones High School in Madison. Hope Coach Khaki got some beach time this week to work on his tan.

In Harbaugh's continuing crusade to have every coach and fan of every other school - especially in the SEC - hate him with the fire of a thousand suns, you'd have to say the first week of March of his second year on the job was a rousing success.

He's Nick Saban without all those national championships.

Saban's tireless schedule when he first arrived in Tuscaloosa was filled with unparalleled recruiting dedication and innovation. Some of the Alabama coach's ideas, such as frequent spring evaluation bumps and videoconferences with recruits, sent other coaches reaching for their smelling salts and NCAA rulebooks to ask, "Can he do that?"

In the most famous example, the NCAA's answer to Saban's whirlwind spring recruiting tour was to put a stop to it. Head coaches can no longer go on the road during the spring - unless they rent space at an out-of-state high school populated by a boatload of college prospects and take their team with them.

Hate mail wasn't a new experience for me. Hate mail from Michigan fans was.

The best response was an unsigned and rather well-written screed barely shorter than War and Peace from a self-declared Michigan fan. It read like a declaration of war.

A sample:

"Harbaugh will, and don't hesitate for a second to consider this anything but a complete truth, take advantage of every resource available to him that comes with being the head coach at Michigan, resources so great no other college program can come close to matching. And he will do so without hesitating to piss off the coaches, commissioners, basically anyone associated with the SEC for nothing more than the enjoyment that comes with their whining and bitching. ... And he will not slow his attack until the SEC retreats and quits attempting to impede his progress."

Alrighty then.

Another so-called Michigan fan called me "the most delusional Southerner since the guy who poisoned the trees at Auburn."

jbcarol

McElwain said the 41-7 loss to Michigan in the Citrus Bowl has been, and will continue to be, motivation for the Gators

Quote"It makes you really excited to get going on spring ball and get that taste out of your mouth, a miserable taste that was embarrassing," McElwain said. "It was embarrassing the way we played. It was embarrassing the way we took the field. It was embarrassing the way we laid down. That's what's great about spring practice."

Speaking of Michigan, McElwain said he had no problem with Jim Harbaugh bringing the Wolverines to Florida for spring practice last week.

"I kind of look at it as more power to him. It's totally legal," McElwain said. "He's not doing anything that's illegal. He's pressing the envelope, he's putting their name in the paper every day. And you know, that's cool.

"I mean, I'd come to Florida, too. There's great players here, right? There's a reason every school in the country comes here and recruits. So, I think for them it's trying to gain an edge and give them an opportunity to practice in great weather. I don't plan on taking ours to Michigan. I'm all for what he's doing."

Neednewcoach

http://www.maizenbrew.com/michigan-football-recruiting/2016/3/9/11176052/michigan-recruiting-dylan-moses-jordan-anthony-dorian-thompson-robinson-ty-chandler-eno-Benjamin

I know this has been discussed but how is this NOT considered a recruiting visit.  How can Michigan do this and yet Bielema, or any other coach, isn't allowed to be a spectator?  NCAA double standard.

HOGINTENNESSEE

Quote from: Neednewcoach on March 09, 2016, 11:49:48 am
http://www.maizenbrew.com/michigan-football-recruiting/2016/3/9/11176052/michigan-recruiting-dylan-moses-jordan-anthony-dorian-thompson-robinson-ty-chandler-eno-Benjamin

I know this has been discussed but how is this NOT considered a recruiting visit.  How can Michigan do this and yet Bielema, or any other coach, isn't allowed to be a spectator?  NCAA double standard.

According to Jon Fagg it's because of a rule that allows teams to practice at HS. The rule is meant for Bowl games but the letter of the law wasn't written to limit it just to that.

The Hogfather

And now every school in the world will be heading to Florida/Texas/Louisiana to practice.  There needs to be rule added to eliminate this or it is going to get ridiculous.  It is obviously a recruiting advantage for Michigan to be able to practice in front of that much high school talent, regardless of the fact that they can't have any actual contact with them.

Arkamedes

I think it would interesting for someone to attend an open practice and video tape (covertly, of course) the "non-interaction" between Michigans staff and the IMG athletes.
"The time is always right to do what is right." ~ Martin Luther King, Jr.

"Rise above oneself and grasp the world." ~ Archimedes

CallThemHawgs!

Yeah, Im sure not a word has been said or a hand shaken....

Friggin joke, needs to be fixed immediately. Greasy stuff, I would even be saying it if WE were doing it.

fullfan

I am not sure why no one is talking about the extra benefits angle for Mich players. A trip to Florida for spring break?  Lots of down time there.   CBB should let recruits know that the Hogs will "practice" in Rio or Aspen next year on Spring Break.  ;D

onebadrubi

Quote from: fullfan on March 10, 2016, 07:14:42 am
I am not sure why no one is talking about the extra benefits angle for Mich players. A trip to Florida for spring break?  Lots of down time there.   CBB should let recruits know that the Hogs will "practice" in Rio or Aspen next year on Spring Break.  ;D

He's already made a comment saying maybe Jamaica next year

jbcarol

Brett McMurphy ‏@McMurphyESPN 19h19 hours ago

Tremendous job by @ESPNRittenberg ranking 129 FBS coaches by playing careers from worst (Leach) to best (Harbaugh) http://espn.go.com/college-football/story/_/id/14927022/ranking-fbs-college-football-coaches-players-1-129 ...

Quote122. Hugh Freeze, Ole Miss Rebels: Freeze played football and other sports at Senatobia High

119. Tommy Tuberville, Cincinnati Bearcats: Tuberville was a Southern Arkansas Mulerider

115. Butch Jones, Tennessee Volunteers: Jones earned two letters at Division II Ferris State

113. Gus Malzahn, Auburn Tigers: Malzahn walked on at Arkansas as a wide receiver in 1984 but transferred to Division II Henderson State

112. Dan Mullen, Mississippi State Bulldogs: Mullen was a two-year starter at tight end for Division III Ursinus College

111. Jim McElwain, Florida Gators: The Montana native was a reserve quarterback for Eastern Washington

103. Derek Mason, Vanderbilt Commodores: The Phoenix native played defensive back at Northern Arizona

70. Bobby Petrino, Louisville Cardinals: Petrino starred at quarterback for his father, Bob, at NAIA Carroll College

51. Mark Stoops, Kentucky Wildcats: Like older brothers Bob and Mike, Mark attended Iowa and played safety for the Hawkeyes

44. Mark Richt, Miami (FL) Hurricanes: Richt returns to Miami, where he played quarterback from 1978 to '82. He spent most of his career backing up Jim Kelly

43. Nick Saban, Alabama Crimson Tide: Before becoming a master defensive tactician, Saban played several positions in the secondary for Kent State

30. Les Miles, LSU Tigers: The Elyria, Ohio, native was an undersized offensive lineman at Michigan, where he played for Bo Schembechler

28. Bret Bielema, Arkansas Razorbacks: Bielema came to Iowa as a walk-on, earned a scholarship after his first season and left as a starting defensive lineman and team captain in 1992. He signed a free-agent contract with the Seattle Seahawks and also played in the Arena Football League.

27: Will Muschamp, South Carolina Gamecocks: A walk-on safety at Georgia, Muschamp worked his way up to captain as a senior in 1994.

25. Kevin Sumlin, Texas A&M Aggies: Yet another Power 5 coach to begin his college career as a walk-on defender, Sumlin started four seasons at linebacker for Purdue. He led the team in tackles as a freshman (91), earned honorable mention All-Big Ten honors

23. Barry Odom, Missouri Tigers: A prolific linebacker for Missouri from 1996 to 1999, Odom recorded 362 career tackles, which ranks seventh in team history.

10. Kirby Smart, Georgia Bulldogs: Smart's first head-coaching job brings him back to his alma mater, where he starred at safety from 1995 to 1998. He had 13 career interceptions, which rank fourth in team history, and twice led the Bulldogs in picks. Smart earned first-team All-SEC honors

1. Jim Harbaugh, Michigan Wolverines: Harbaugh was an All-American QB at Michigan, where he won Big Ten MVP honors and finished third in the Heisman Trophy voting in 1986.

Hoot72

I think we ought to practice at The Star in Frisco, Texas next year.  The new $260 million Cowboy practice facility -- think that might help recruiting in Texas?

JIHawg

Quote from: Hoot72 on March 10, 2016, 04:10:15 pm
I think we ought to practice at The Star in Frisco, Texas next year.  The new $260 million Cowboy practice facility -- think that might help recruiting in Texas?

Great idea!

Danny J

Quote from: Hoot72 on March 10, 2016, 04:10:15 pm
Sounds good to me......

jbcarol

jbcarol

Jerry Meyer ‏@jerrymeyer247 15h15 hours ago

Jim Harbaugh is so far ahead of the curve, NCAA is gonna have to just stop and wait to ask him what rules should be. http://michigan.247sports.com/Bolt/Jim-Harbaugh-Michigan-to-team-up-with-Baylor-for-camp-44319136 ...

jbcarol

Coach Harbaugh Verified account
‏@CoachJim4UM

Good to see Director Smith being relevant again after the tattoo fiasco. Welcome back!

jbcarol

Quote from: jbcarol on March 23, 2016, 07:04:19 am
Coach Harbaugh Verified account
‏@CoachJim4UM

Good to see Director Smith being relevant again after the tattoo fiasco. Welcome back!

Kyle Tucker ‏@KyleTucker_CJ 11h11 hours ago

Kyle Tucker Retweeted Coach Harbaugh

Guy is running a clinic on getting under his adversaries' skin. Love it or hate it, this guy is a genius.

jbcarol

AL.com sports ‏@aldotcomSports 24m24 minutes ago

The latest Jim Harbaugh twitter controversy has Ohio State's AD apologizing: http://ow.ly/ZRf2H 

QuoteSmith, who was talking at a soccer press conference, made mention about moving a team to Florida for spring practice.

"If we were jump-starting our program, I'd probably try that, too," he said, per Ben Axelrod.

jbcarol

John Perry, the head coach at Pearl (Miss.) High, announced Wednesday that Michigan coach Jim Harbaugh and his staff will hold a satellite camp a at his school on June 8. This, of course, brought a lot of attention — positive and a whole lot of negative — Perry's way.

Quote"I know people say Ole Miss and Mississippi State will get mad at you, but I don't think so," Perry told 247Sports. "From our standpoint, it's straight luck that we get the chance to host it. It's a fundraiser for our program, and my job is to look out for Pearl football."

https://twitter.com/jperry_pearl/status/712744344617361409

Pulled(PP)pork

jbcarol

Will Sammon ‏@WillSammon 16h16 hours ago

updated: some of the top prospects in MS, such as @WillieYRN and @H_Kylin, would attend Jim Harbaugh's camp at Pearl http://www.clarionledger.com/story/sports/high-school/2016/03/23/michigans-jim-harbaugh-have-satellite-camp-pearl/82182700/ ...

QuoteHarbaugh has drawn criticism the past couple of seasons, especially from coaches in the Southeastern Conference, for finding a loophole in the NCAA's rules. Harbaugh cannot host a camp outside Michigan, but is allowed to be a guest anywhere else. Technically, Pearl is hosting the camp and Harbaugh is a guest instructor. Simply put, the idea of satellite camps allows coaches like Harbaugh to work with players from different regions.

Harbaugh has participated in these camps in several different states. While some, like Mississippi State coach Dan Mullen, argued last year that the camps are improperly used for recruiting, Harbaugh didn't seem to think differently.

"In my America, you're allowed to cross the state borders," Harbaugh told USA Today Sports last year. "That's the America I know."

Some of the top prospects in the state of Mississippi have already told The Clarion-Ledger that they would attend the camp. Willie Gay, a four-star 2017 Starkville linebacker, who holds an offer from the Wolverines, and four-star Columbus running back Kylin Hill both said they would attend. Clinton star Cam Akers, the top-rated player in the state of Mississippi, said he might go to the camp to meet Harbaugh.

jbcarol

Michael Carvell ‏@Carvell_AJC 13h13 hours ago

Harbaugh to hold satellite camp in Georgia http://sec.news/22yMvtY

QuoteHarbaugh is planning to hold a satellite recruiting camp at Cedar Grove High School in Ellenwood, according to the Detroit News.

The Dekalb County high school is located about 75 miles away from the Butts-Mehre building.

Cedar Grove head coach Jimmy Smith told the News that he was expecting between 300 and 500 participants from around Georgia.

"It's an opportunity to see something they would never see before," Smith told The Detroit News on Thursday. "A lot of kids only get to go to the same schools, the same area. I've always liked Michigan. It's a great program."

Wolverines linebacker signee Elysee Mbem-Bosse is a product of Cedar Grove.

jbcarol

AL.com sports ‏@aldotcomSports 14h14 hours ago

Nick Saban's view of Michigan's Spring Break destination practices: http://ow.ly/ZWb6U 

Quote"I think everybody's gotta make decisions that they feel best for what they need to do in their program," Saban said. "I don't think when people design the rules, that they design the rules to take your team someplace else and have spring practice during spring break."

If you had any questions about Alabama's interest in something similar, Saban took care of that.

"Whatever they decide we'll kind of roll on," Saban continued. "We love having spring practice right here at Alabama. There's a lot of people that have a lot of interest here and this doesn't disrupt our players' schedule, their class time and we get a lot out of it, have a lot of fun."

Saban went on to say he understands why teams in cooler climates would have interest in southern expeditions.

"If everybody has one then how do the kids decide where they go or don't go," Saban said. "How much of a benefit really is it? Nobody really knows how big a benefit it is. That's for everybody to decide on their own. I basically like focusing on the way we do it. I'm not too worried about what somebody else is trying to do."

This isn't the first Jim Harbaugh innovation that Saban didn't cheer. His opposition of the 2015 satellite camps in SEC territory included the word "ridiculous."

"I mean we're not allowed to go to all-star games, but now we're going to have satellite camps all over the country," Saban said in April 2015. "So it doesn't really make sense."

On Friday, the SEC confirmed a rule banning these satellite camps will be discussed next month when the NCAA Division I council meets in Indianapolis.

jbcarol

Andy Katz ‏@ESPNAndyKatz 16h16 hours ago

Here are the Harbaughs across the court behind the Wisconsin bench for now (Indiana later) http://es.pn/1Tab2zv 

jbcarol

AL.com sports ‏@aldotcomSports 20m20 minutes ago

Jim Harbaugh nabs another #Alabama recruit in Florence's J'Marick Woods http://ow.ly/1007hG

QuoteHarbaugh and Michigan's recruiting efforts into Alabama continue to pay off, as Florence safety J'Marick Woods committed to the Wolverines.

6-foot-4, 196-pound Woods is a three-star recruit and ranked as Alabama's No. 16 prospect...

jbcarol

jbcarol

jbcarol

Members of the Michigan football team will receive rings this weekend for their victory over Alabama --

in the 2000 Orange Bowl

QuoteLed by four touchdowns passing from Tom Brady, the Wolverines beat the SEC champion Crimson Tide 35-34 in overtime that night in south Florida. Alabama's Ryan Pflugner missed an extra point on the final play, which would have sent the game to a second overtime.

According to the Detroit News, only Michigan teams that won the Big Ten or national championships have received rings in the past. The 1999-2000 Wolverines finished 10-2 overall and tied for second in the Big Ten.

However, captains for that year's team --- Brady, Steve Hutchinson and Rob Renes -- began a fundraising effort to provide commemorative rings nearly two years ago. Nearly 100 former players (though apparently not Brady) ...

jbcarol

AL.com sports ‏@aldotcomSports 40m40 minutes ago

Jim Harbaugh scheduled a second Alabama satellite camp for this summer: http://ow.ly/10byE7

QuoteOn June 7, Harbaugh will conduct a satellite camp in Prattville for the second straight season. That's a day after his one-day camp in Madison at Bob Jones High School, which was announced last month. The back-to-back camps are open to high school players in grades nine through 12.

Prattville coach Chad Anderson confirmed to AL.com that Harbaugh will be back at his school in June.

https://twitter.com/prattvillelions/status/715727139908165632

jbcarol

Michael Carvell ‏@Carvell_AJC  16h16 hours ago
Urban Meyer's southern invasion reveals a big problem for the Big Ten http://sec.news/22Wtf9R

Quotehe announcement that Ohio State coach Urban Meyer is planning to copy Michigan coach Jim Harbaugh's southern satellite camps with a camp of his own leads to a pretty obvious question: What's wrong with the talent in Big Ten Country?

The purpose of these satellite camps is to increase the visibility of a coach and his program to elite recruits in a region that otherwise might be unfamiliar to them. The coaches spend their time working on drills and instructing proper technique during the day, and making as much time as possible for getting to know prospects during the camp's off-hours. It's a creative strategy, but there's a problem with it.

For years the Big Ten has tried to promote itself as a conference on par with the SEC, but that comparison rings hollow if the Big Ten's success — limited though it has been — requires a healthy dose of talent from the SEC's backyard.

jbcarol

Michael Carvell ‏@Carvell_AJC 14h14 hours ago

SEC coaches could be allowed to host satellite camps in near future http://sec.news/236wk7l

QuoteKevin Sumlin told ESPN's Jeremy Crabtree that change could be on the way and that satellite camps could be coming.

"Our commissioner (Greg Sankey) has spoken and said if it's not revised or revoked, then we're going to be able to do it," Sumlin told Crabtree. The current rule restricting SEC coaches from participating in these programs is set to expire on May 29.

These satellite camps have created quite a controversy in the college football community, with coaches such as Michigan's Jim Harbaugh invading SEC territory to coach and potentially poach recruits. Sumlin says that A&M and other SEC programs will be prepared if the rule changes.

jbcarol

Missouri head coach Barry Odom is prepared to span the country if the SEC permits coaches to host their own satellite recruiting camps.

QuoteOdom said that if the rule changes, many SEC coaches will be ready to migrate.

"If the SEC changes their rule, then we will have to be very proactive on getting as many places as we can get," Odom said...