I like to play with this stuff
This is if everything goes the way we hope for next season
My personal favorite is
1. Glasper
2. Macon
3. Barford
4. Gafford
5. Thompson

If Glasper is actually a true point guard I don't care if he only scores 2 or 3.. we need a dang guy that can be the floor general and get the ball moving around. I know Beard don't do that much. But yes I figure Beard will start. Also I know Cook/Bailey/Thomas will prolly start at the 4 but still. Hall and Garland will get their playing time and Jones will too if he gets his nerves out he is always jumpy and nervous and acts like he does not know what to do out there. Hazen will need to put in a lot of work this offseason but it is very possible for him to get major minutes. If we get Smith that's just a plus!
"Michael Qualls with the dunk at the buzzer, it goes and Arkansas wins, it goes and Arkansas wins"

HossHog

1.Barford
2.Macon
3.CJ Jones
4.Thomas
5.Gafford
Then
1.Beard
2.Garland
3.Hall
4.Bailey/Cook
5. Thompson/Hazen
Of course none of us really know how good Garland, Hall, or Gafford will by the time season rolls around

NWAHog479

1. Beard
2. Macon
3. Barford
4. Thomas/Bailey/Cook (Whoever is playing best like this year)
5. Gafford

Bench (Not in any order)
-Thompson (Same role as this year, more minutes, pretty much the backup 5/possible starter if Gafford isn't ready
-Jones (Hope he progresses and moves into a role Anthlon Bell played)
-Garland (Backup guard like Beard this year)
-Hall (Backup 2/3/4)
-Hazen (Stretch 4)

Big Nasty 34

I posted this in another thread, but my thoughts are:

Barford
Macon
Hall
Cook (or Thomas/Bailey)
Thompson

Second Unit
Beard
Jones
Garland
Thomas/Bailey/Cook
Gafford

IF, and I hope he his, Hall can come in and do the little things well early on, I can see him stepping into the Manny Watkins role. Also, if he's able to start, that allows Beard and Jones to be scorers off the bench. If we go Beard, Macon, and Barford starting that, leaves a lot of inexperience and possible inability to score in that second group. Not to mention no "Point Guard" unless Glasper is ready to get PT.

Also, I don't see Gafford starting day 1. Thompson did a fine job this year and is a huge asset to our offensive movement when he's in. Gafford will most likely be very foul prone early on, and backing up Trey will allow him to ease into the speed of the game. I'm sure he will still get around 20 MPG, just not in a starting role.

hogwood

To start the season:

C Thompson
F Thomas
G Macon
G Barford
G Beard

To end the season:

C Gafford
F Bailey
G Macon
G Barford
G Beard

hogwood

Quote from: Big Nasty 34 on March 21, 2017, 09:50:44 am
I posted this in another thread, but my thoughts are:

Barford
Macon
Hall
Cook (or Thomas/Bailey)
Thompson

Second Unit
Beard
Jones
Garland
Thomas/Bailey/Cook
Gafford

IF, and I hope he his, Hall can come in and do the little things well early on, I can see him stepping into the Manny Watkins role. Also, if he's able to start, that allows Beard and Jones to be scorers off the bench. If we go Beard, Macon, and Barford starting that, leaves a lot of inexperience and possible inability to score in that second group. Not to mention no "Point Guard" unless Glasper is ready to get PT.

Also, I don't see Gafford starting day 1. Thompson did a fine job this year and is a huge asset to our offensive movement when he's in. Gafford will most likely be very foul prone early on, and backing up Trey will allow him to ease into the speed of the game. I'm sure he will still get around 20 MPG, just not in a starting role.

I get what you're saying. But I think Mike starts the 3 senior guards to set the tone, then subs in rotation players early on 1 by 1 so to keep scoring on the floor but giving the 3 SRs rest. The 3 SRs will also likely close out every game on the floor together. Next season we'll be even deeper. Mike will have Garland, Jones, Glasper, Hall, and maybe Smith all able to sub in at the 1-3. It's even possible Cook could come in as a 3 in a tall lineup. He's very mobile and if he improves his mid-range game this offseason watch out.

onebadrubi

Start of the season:

Beard
Macon
Barford
Cook
Thompson

Sec Season opener
Macon
Barford
Bailey
Thompson
Gafford

Hawg Red

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I was under the impression Glasper was predominately a scoring guard in high school. A score-first PG. Seems like we already have that in Anton Beard.

The_Iceman

Starting 5 to start the year:
Barford
Macon
CJ Jones
Thomas
Thompson

2nd Unit:
Beard
Garland
Hall
Bailey
Gafford

Next group:
Glaser
Cook
Hazen

This is assuming no changes as of now. Thompson will probably start because he is a senior, but Gafford may actually get more minutes and produce more. Gafford may be starting by SEC play. Not really a big deal who starts in our system, it's minutes (see Macon).

Big Nasty 34

Quote from: onebadrubi on March 21, 2017, 10:06:05 am
Start of the season:

Beard
Macon
Barford
Cook
Thompson

Sec Season opener
Macon
Barford
Bailey
Thompson
Gafford

I just don't see Thompson and Gafford starting together. If Mike didn't start Moses and Trey together this year, why would he next with those two? Thompson can space the floor a bit with his passing, but neither are much of a threat outside of the lane even compared to Moses. Also, that leaves a bunch of 6'7 guys to possibly play the 5 if they both get in foul trouble.

Hollywood870

March 21, 2017, 10:33:49 am #10 Last Edit: March 21, 2017, 12:02:01 pm by Hollywood870
Beard
Barford
Smith
Bailey
Thompson

2nd team gives us punch off the bench
Glasper
Macon
Hall
Thomas
Gafford

3rd team gets PT with our style of play
Jones
Gharland
Hazen
Cook

Did I miss anyone? And yes I'm counting on Zhaire Smith just because. 6'9 wingspan would be great on those traps.

Hollywood870

Quote from: The_Iceman on March 21, 2017, 10:23:11 am
Starting 5 to start the year:
Barford
Macon
CJ Jones
Thomas
Thompson

2nd Unit:
Beard
Garland
Hall
Bailey
Gafford

Next group:
Glaser
Cook
Hazen

This is assuming no changes as of now. Thompson will probably start because he is a senior, but Gafford may actually get more minutes and produce more. Gafford may be starting by SEC play. Not really a big deal who starts in our system, it's minutes (see Macon).
Guys we're cramping up just because of how hard they where playing. Hope we need all 13 next year and they all improve. That's a deep squad.

Hollywood870

Was Gharland less aggressive this year. Didn't put up big numbers. I love team guys that do the little things though. You really notice it later in the year. The extra pass for the dunk or open three, exc. Also, does big Gafford have a mid range jumper comparable to Moses. What does Hall bring. He can't really be 6'7. You guys are just messing with me. We are gonna have to use the same system as last year with only two big men. Maybe we catch on early to the defense. Would possibly have a couple more wins heading into the tourney. Got to come back with that chip on the shoulder next year. Need 15 pounds or so on Gafford. 223.

Big Nasty 34

Quote from: Hollywood870 on March 21, 2017, 10:39:03 am
Was Gharland less aggressive this year. Didn't put up big numbers. I love team guys that do the little things though. You really notice it later in the year. The extra pass for the dunk or open three, exc.

I only watched parkview on Livestream, but it seems like was hurt at the end of the year and they weren't a real crisp, efficient offensive team. Had better athletes and length than everybody and just beat people that way. I think if they were more disciplined offensively he would have put up better numbers.

He's very good in transition that's for sure.

Hollywood870

Quote from: Big Nasty 34 on March 21, 2017, 10:41:37 am
I only watched parkview on Livestream, but it seems like was hurt at the end of the year and they weren't a real crisp, efficient offensive team. Had better athletes and length than everybody and just beat people that way. I think if they were more disciplined offensively he would have put up better numbers.

He's very good in transition that's for sure.
Everything I read says he has a high BB IQ. That's huge these days.

onebadrubi

Quote from: Big Nasty 34 on March 21, 2017, 10:24:50 am
I just don't see Thompson and Gafford starting together. If Mike didn't start Moses and Trey together this year, why would he next with those two? Thompson can space the floor a bit with his passing, but neither are much of a threat outside of the lane even compared to Moses. Also, that leaves a bunch of 6'7 guys to possibly play the 5 if they both get in foul trouble.

I wish we would have done it more with Portis and Kingsley.  Just have to watch the rotations and keep them rotating, overlapping their minutes throughout the game.  It probably won't happen, but I hope it does.  It basically allows 4 guys to come out around the 3 point line and keeps gafford around the blocks. 

Hollywood870

Hoping Glasper will be a pain on defense for opposing teams next year. Coming up from behind, tipping out loose balls to initiate breaks. I know we all thought 40 Minutes of Hell was dead and buried, but after Sunday, I'm not so sure. Still back off into some man and that crazy half court trapping zone as well. That's how the UNLV Rebel's used to do it. Some pressure but relying on that Ameba Zone that teams didn't have an answer for. So impressed with the D in the tourney. Just need to get more talent in there. Steals, traps, fast break dunks and pull up 3's. Hawg Ball.

The_Iceman

Quote from: Hollywood870 on March 21, 2017, 10:39:03 am
Was Gharland less aggressive this year. Didn't put up big numbers. I love team guys that do the little things though. You really notice it later in the year. The extra pass for the dunk or open three, exc. Also, does big Gafford have a mid range jumper comparable to Moses. What does Hall bring. He can't really be 6'7. You guys are just messing with me. We are gonna have to use the same system as last year with only two big men. Maybe we catch on early to the defense. Would possibly have a couple more wins heading into the tourney. Got to come back with that chip on the shoulder next year. Need 15 pounds or so on Gafford. 223.

Darious Hall:

https://youtu.be/cx9FdCmj4Lw

6'6" with a ridiculous 7'0" wingspan.

As for the other two, Garland was explosive in the AAU Summer league. Finishes at the rim just as good as Barford, but is 2 inches taller. He has really developed his shot too. Gafford is still developing a mid range jumper. I've seen him hit one, but it isn't reliable yet.

Hollywood870

Quote from: The_Iceman on March 21, 2017, 11:15:54 am
Darious Hall:

https://youtu.be/cx9FdCmj4Lw

6'6" with a ridiculous 7'0" wingspan.

As for the other two, Garland was explosive in the AAU Summer league. Finishes at the rim just as good as Barford, but is 2 inches taller. He has really developed his shot too. Gafford is still developing a mid range jumper. I've seen him hit one, but it isn't reliable yet.
7'0 Wingspan. I did not know that. Wonder if he has decent quickness for our D. I'll check out this film.

Hollywood870

Hall looks like a bigger, stronger, more athletic Ron Huery to me. Got to play these guys early and often, imo. Don't sit em. Play 13 and lets turn up the heat just a little bit more. I think Thomas works and gets better. Cook? C'mon man, you can do it. Focus on being a great system defender. Not everyone goes pro.

Youngsta71701

Here are my projections:
1st Team:
G - Beard
G - Macon
G - Barford
F - Thomas or Cook or Bailey (Depending on which one is playing well)
F - Thompson

2nd Team:
G - Glasper
G - Jones or Garland
F - Hall or Hazen
F - Thomas or Cook or Bailey (Depending on the two that are not playing as well)
C - Gafford

I do think Gafford will be starting by conference play. Mike's going to let him take his bumps and bruises in nonconference play then by the time conference rolls around he should be ready for a bigger load.
"The more things change the more they stay the same"

The_Iceman

Quote from: Hollywood870 on March 21, 2017, 11:21:08 am
7'0 Wingspan. I did not know that. Wonder if he has decent quickness for our D. I'll check out this film.

He will be fine at the 3 for us defensively.

rzrbackramsfan

Quote from: NWAHog479 on March 21, 2017, 08:24:02 am
1. Beard
2. Macon
3. Barford
4. Thomas/Bailey/Cook (Whoever is playing best like this year)
5. Gafford

Bench (Not in any order)
-Thompson (Same role as this year, more minutes, pretty much the backup 5/possible starter if Gafford isn't ready
-Jones (Hope he progresses and moves into a role Anthlon Bell played)
-Garland (Backup guard like Beard this year)
-Hall (Backup 2/3/4)
-Hazen (Stretch 4)

I agree 100% with this. 

Also, I don't think a lot of you have followed Gafford, he's barely not a 5 star and IS a 5 star in my book.

King Kong

It don't get to worried about MA's starting Lineups. Normally one of our best 5 comes off the bench to bring a fresh body to attack off the bench.

But I would expect this team to finish the game.

Thompson
Thomas
Barford
Macon
Beard

Youngsta71701

Quote from: rzrbackramsfan on March 21, 2017, 09:38:37 pm
I agree 100% with this. 

Also, I don't think a lot of you have followed Gafford, he's barely not a 5 star and IS a 5 star in my book.
Quite a few of them don't have a clue. But they will pretty soon though. His aggressive mentality around the basket maybe something we've never had. At least that I can remember anyways. He literally tries to dunk everything. If your hand is in the way it might get broke. Or your wrist. He might not be bulky but the kid is strong.

Youngsta71701

Quote from: King Kong on March 22, 2017, 06:37:17 am
It don't get to worried about MA's starting Lineups. Normally one of our best 5 comes off the bench to bring a fresh body to attack off the bench.

But I would expect this team to finish the game.

Thompson
Thomas
Barford
Macon
Beard
Yep, I believe the seniors will start and the seniors will finish. Depending on the situation anyways.

The_Iceman

Quote from: Youngsta71701 on March 22, 2017, 08:06:41 am
Yep, I believe the seniors will start and the seniors will finish. Depending on the situation anyways.

I hope a light comes on for Beard, because if he doesn't, and he is closing out games like you suggested, we will struggle.

Little Lady Back

Quote from: The_Iceman on March 22, 2017, 08:12:20 am
I hope a light comes on for Beard, because if he doesn't, and he is closing out games like you suggested, we will struggle.

I hope so too because Beard really regressed this year. Hopefully, next season will be a better one for him.
#NolanRichardsonCourt

Boss Hog in the Arkansas

By the time the season ends, Adrio Bailey will be starting at the 4. book it
That's right, you don't want to be the man to replace the man.  You want to be the man to replace Rory Segrest.

Dominicanhog

Quote from: Youngsta71701 on March 21, 2017, 11:51:18 am
Here are my projections:
1st Team:
G - Beard
G - Macon
G - Barford
F - Thomas or Cook or Bailey (Depending on which one is playing well)
F - Thompson

2nd Team:
G - Glasper
G - Jones or Garland
F - Hall or Hazen
F - Thomas or Cook or Bailey (Depending on the two that are not playing as well)
C - Gafford

I do think Gafford will be starting by conference play. Mike's going to let him take his bumps and bruises in nonconference play then by the time conference rolls around he should be ready for a bigger load.

I could see this, though Gafford may be just good enough to start from Day 1...... Mike will change lineups so often  every poster will be right at some point.. he'll try to find 2 teams that play well together.. not necessarily the best 5 on the first team..

I do think 2 or 3 new faces enter the top 9/10... also, I expect Thomas to be much better and a leader next year, Cook will be better as well..Jones, Bailey and even Hazen could be the big surprises of next year...

we'll play a tougher schedule next year and end with about the same record... not sure we are ready to get over the hump, it remains to be seen..... but we aren't at the bottom looking up anymore either.. and that feels great...

The_Iceman

Quote from: Little Lady Back on March 22, 2017, 08:20:23 am
I hope so too because Beard really regressed this year. Hopefully, next season will be a better one for him.

His statistics don't show regression, but if you actually watched him play, you would definitely say he hasn't progressed.

Beard's biggest issue is his unwillingness to accept the role he is meant for. He needs to be a little bull dog point guard that plays tough on defense, shoots the open three, and finishes in transition. However, he often trying to do waaaay too much.

JayBell

1. Barford
2. Macon
3. Hall/Bailey
4. Thomas
5. Thompson/Gafford

1. Beard
2. Jones
3. Bailey/Hall
4. Cook
5. Gafford/Thompson

The blueprint is there.  Arkansas has four guards who can handle the ball well and Beard is the closest they have to a true point guard.  Using Bailey and Hall at the 3 makes Arkansas more athletic, longer on defense and better equipped to get more rebounds.

Better defense + more rebounds = faster Fastest 40.

JayBell

Anderson finally changed it up late in the season and played his two best post players together.  It won't matter who starts next year between Thompson and Gafford.  They are extremely different players and I expect them to be on the court together a lot.

I expect/hope Garland and Hazen to be part of the rotation, but to play the least.  Hopefully Anderson can keep everybody on the team because there's a lot of minutes for the taking in the 2018-19 season after six seniors graduate next year.  The only reason Garland would play more is if Anderson forces the 3-guard lineup.  I really hope he doesn't.  Next year's team is built to go bigger.

Glasper won't start.  You don't go from a walk-on freshman who never plays to a starter on a team that brings all of their guards back.  Again, I hope Glasper, Jones, Garland and Hazen all stick it out.  Those guys could become the Watkins and Haydars of future teams.

RaisinHog

You realize garland is one of the higher rated players we have brought in over the past several years ... I feel pretty good about him makeing the rotation lol

The_Iceman

Quote from: RaisinHog on March 22, 2017, 11:30:07 am
You realize garland is one of the higher rated players we have brought in over the past several years ... I feel pretty good about him makeing the rotation lol

6'5", can play and defend all 3 guard positions, improved jump shot, and elite finisher at the rim....especially in transition.

Yeah, he will play.

azhog10

After watching Hall I don't see how he isn't starting or getting starters minutes. He's as smooth of a player as I've seen. Love his IQ an how he just goes about his business. His shot really looks improved.

Pig in the Pokey

Quote from: BannerMountainMan on March 21, 2017, 01:11:32 am
I like to play with this stuff
This is if everything goes the way we hope for next season
My personal favorite is
1. Glasper
2. Macon
3. Barford
4. Gafford
5. Thompson

If Glasper is actually a true point guard I don't care if he only scores 2 or 3.. we need a dang guy that can be the floor general and get the ball moving around. I know Beard don't do that much. But yes I figure Beard will start. Also I know Cook/Bailey/Thomas will prolly start at the 4 but still. Hall and Garland will get their playing time and Jones will too if he gets his nerves out he is always jumpy and nervous and acts like he does not know what to do out there. Hazen will need to put in a lot of work this offseason but it is very possible for him to get major minutes. If we get Smith that's just a plus!
who dat?
You must be on one if you think i aint on one! ¥420¥   «roastin da bomb in fayettenam» Purspirit Gang