Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Just recieved notification of assignment to Langley AFB, VA.

Started by AirForceHog, August 14, 2009, 05:41:25 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

AirForceHog

Anybody ever been stationed there and if you have can you tell me about the area?
If it turns, burns, banks or rolls, crew chiefs made it happen.

usnavyhogfan

i just moved to the virginia beach area recently and thats right up the road from me. the area around langely is nice, i have a friend that lives up that way in Hampton. there are good and bad areas like any place but for the most part i think thats a good area. when are you heading out this way? if theres any way i can help let me know
The dream is free, the journey is not.

AirForceHog

usnavyhogfan

ok cool, ill be here until at least 2012. good to see another hog fan heading out this way
The dream is free, the journey is not.

H&D

Spent a day there with a K-9 team doing sweeps, never saluted so much in my life, a lot of rank walking around.
\\\"Camp Sather 2003\\\"

AirForceHog

Chuck Boarris

I have a friend who was stationed there in the dental squadron.  She didnt like it, and said it was very political, but like you said, ACC Headquarters.  I went there 2 years ago with the B-52 for an air show.  I had a good time. 

AirForceHog

Well, I'm a Tech school instructor right now so the political thing I am used to.

lewisandrew88

From what I hear it is busy, and a little more uptight than most places, on the plus side military gets in free to bush gardens year round!

WPS

AirForceHog

All military gets in free atleast once a year. The SALUTE program from anheyser busch. Me and the family have taken advantage of it.

lewisandrew88

September 13, 2009, 03:01:13 am #10 Last Edit: September 13, 2009, 03:21:56 am by lewisandrew88
I would imagine AETC would be just as much if not more political than ACC

So you are a crew chief tech school instructor? My brother in law might be seeing you soon. He leaves next month for BMT and is slotted to be a crew chief, but im not sure on the shred-out. Poor guy, gonna miss all football season.

AirForceHog

TexHog188

I was stationed at LAFB for two years back in 86-88.  Absolutely loved the area and the base.  On base housing was sparse and off base military housing was very typical military housing.  I chose to live in Hampton and thought it to be very nice.  Traffic can be horrible at times between Hampton and Norfolk (through the tunnel).  Loved fishing in the Chesapeake Bay and along the outer banks of NC.  I highly recommend the Blue Fish run twice a year near Oregon Inlet.  Fantastic golf in the area with two courses on LAFB.  West Gate pub is a nice little hole in the wall just outside the west gate.  There used to be a race track there, where several NASCAR regulars would come and race from time to time just to fool around.  Colonial Williamsburg is pretty cool and DC is just up I-95 for some nice weekend trips, but my favorites were the Outer Banks fishing trips, Corolla, Nags Head, Kitty Hawk, Kill Devil Hills are all nice areas to spend a long weekend.  Lots of brass to salute at LAFB and all the top brass loves to block the roads when they travel around the base, so moving around the base at times is a PITA!  Congrats on the assignment and thanks for your service.
"When you're around people that have been where you're trying to go, they know the answers."  Moses Moody

hogman

I'm stationed there now. The area is decent. The base is definitely a second white house basically. You have ACC Headquarters and 1FW here. Ontop of that, we're joint basing with Ft. Eustis right now. If you like the Ocean, you'll get plenty of chances to see it for sure. Richmond is right up the road. Lots of venues for concerts and the race track. BTW TexHog188, the racetrack is still there right outside the gate. Called the Langley Speedway. The pub you referred to i'm assuming is called the Tidemill bar now. Housing is really expensive. If you have a family and kids, i'd reccommend base housing. You have the 22's, 15's and a few 16's on base. You'll have to deal with some of the worst traffic you've ever seen in your life. Outside of base and on base. Senators and such like to show up to watch the 22's do cartwheels in air.

If you have any questions, hit me up

AirForceHog

Quote from: hogman on November 20, 2009, 06:50:35 am
I'm stationed there now. The area is decent. The base is definitely a second white house basically. You have ACC Headquarters and 1FW here. Ontop of that, we're joint basing with Ft. Eustis right now. If you like the Ocean, you'll get plenty of chances to see it for sure. Richmond is right up the road. Lots of venues for concerts and the race track. BTW TexHog188, the racetrack is still there right outside the gate. Called the Langley Speedway. The pub you referred to i'm assuming is called the Tidemill bar now. Housing is really expensive. If you have a family and kids, i'd reccommend base housing. You have the 22's, 15's and a few 16's on base. You'll have to deal with some of the worst traffic you've ever seen in your life. Outside of base and on base. Senators and such like to show up to watch the 22's do cartwheels in air.

If you have any questions, hit me up

Thanks for posting. I will probably asking a few questions once time gets closer to the PCS.