Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Army denies West Point Cadet chance at NFL

Started by Bogarto, July 24, 2008, 08:38:05 am

Previous topic - Next topic

Bogarto

http://www.armytimes.com/news/2008/07/army_calebcampbell_072308w/

Way to go Army. First promise this kid and the NFL that he will be able to play. Then he is drafted and the Army gets tons of good press and they go back on their word.

Ragnar Hogbrok

The Army will change its position on this as soon as the bad PR starts to roll in...which should be by tomorrow at the latest.  The last thing the Army needs/wants is to be cast in a negative light by breaking a promise.
"Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats." ― H.L. Mencken

Hogville prediction formula:

1.  Insert bad news prediction. A loss, a recruit going elsewhere, a coach leaving, etc.
2.  Tag "hope I'm wrong," on the end.
3a.  Enjoy a correct prediction.
3b.  Act like you're relieved you're wrong and celebrate with everyone else.

Old Tusk

Is going to the NFL more important than meeting your comitment to your country?
The Democrats are the party that says government can make you richer, smarter, taller and get the crabgrass out of our lawn. Republicans are the party that says government doesn't work, and then they get elected and prove it....P.J. O'Rourke

oldfart

Quote from: Bogarto on July 24, 2008, 08:14:26 pm
No. But if the Army told him and the Lions before the draft that he could meet his commitment to the country while playing in the NFL and doing PR and recruiting they should have stuck to their word.

recruitment is a very important role in the army and he could have done that, his status as an NFL player would have certainly added something to his credentials with young men.  Its not like he was ducking out totally on his committment, as i understand it during the off season he would have been full time in the recruiting office and even during the season would have been involved.  the point was, he was told one thing and then the situation changed...

usnavyhogfan

I think that's jacked up... The army could take advantage of his nfl status to help recruiting.
The dream is free, the journey is not.

hogginbama

How true you all are. The committment should be honored, by both sides. A suitable solution was worked out before hand and the Army should stick to it. They expect this young man to live up to his committment, but at the same time the Army brass does not want to live up to the committment they made to him and the Detroit Lions. The politics of leadership are firmly entrenched here.
My ole buddy Biscuit has crossed that rainbow bridge. Life sure is different without him around.

yraciv

Quote from: oldfart on July 26, 2008, 02:52:02 pm
recruitment is a very important role in the army and he could have done that, his status as an NFL player would have certainly added something to his credentials with young men.  Its not like he was ducking out totally on his committment, as i understand it during the off season he would have been full time in the recruiting office and even during the season would have been involved.  the point was, he was told one thing and then the situation changed...

Exactly!  I thought the army tells you to "be all that you can be".  Guess that doesn't qualify to professional athletes out of their school.

hogginbama

Quote from: yraciv on July 26, 2008, 10:57:46 pm
Exactly!  I thought the army tells you to "be all that you can be".  Guess that doesn't qualify to professional athletes out of their school.

We did away with "be all you can be" years ago. We went to an Army of One and now we are Army Strong.
My ole buddy Biscuit has crossed that rainbow bridge. Life sure is different without him around.

yraciv

Quote from: hogginbama on July 26, 2008, 11:08:52 pm
We did away with "be all you can be" years ago. We went to an Army of One and now we are Army Strong.

Yeah I know that, but just find it ironic.

hogginbama

Quote from: yraciv on July 27, 2008, 12:39:09 am
Yeah I know that, but just find it ironic.

It was a good slogan that was easily identified with the Army. We changed when we went with a civilian advertising firm to handle our Advertising & Public Affairs in the recruiting effort.

HogFan82

Quote from: usnavyhogfan on July 26, 2008, 08:55:34 pm
I think that's jacked up... The army could take advantage of his nfl status to help recruiting.

You would think, huh.

aloha_kid

Quote from: usnavyhogfan on July 26, 2008, 08:55:34 pm

He was a 7th round pick, not David Robinson.