Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

UA vs ASU

Started by hogz11, December 12, 2013, 08:33:32 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Albert Einswine

Not playing other schools in the state is concentrating on "keeping them down"? I didn't realize the UofA had so much control over the fortunes of other state schools.
"Funny thing, I become a hell of a good fisherman when the trout decide to commit suicide." ~ John D. Voelker

ricepig

Quote from: Seminole Indian on December 13, 2013, 09:47:53 pm
Funny, I cannot recall the last time an ASU fan, out in the real world, mentioned playing the Razorbacks.

When they have  mention an opponent they would like to play recently, it is either playing Auburn with Gus, or Ole Miss with Freeze.

They would like to continue the series with Memphis, and don't mind playing UCA.

For the most part they like to discuss winning the SBC, and going to a bowl, more than OC games although they  like the fact ASU has games with Miami, USC, Tennessee and Missouri, on their schedule.

I just don't think ASU fans think as much about the Razorbacks as most Razorback fans think they do. Seems those days  have came and gone, and was mostly during the 1AA years under Lacewell, when ASU needed help getting  back to 1A.

Think maybe UCA would benefit more from playing the Razorbacks than ASU, and if they do play an in-state team the Bears would be a good choice.

Great, let's drop the subject then, nobody wants to play.

Texman

Quote from: (notOM)Rebel123 on December 12, 2013, 10:44:44 pm
Again, what does ASU bring to the table? Every argument for this game has the UofA making some type of financial sacrifice. Why doesn't ASU offer up $2-$3 million to the UofA to play? The donation to charity is just a ploy for ASU fans to say "see, the Hogs don't want to support ACH." ASU wants to play the Hogs, get paid by the UofA, demand an equal allotment of tickets, and have the UofA sacrifice a portion of ticket sales to charity. Yeah right.

Remind me what ULM brings to the table?

latrops

Quote from: go hogues on December 12, 2013, 08:48:47 pm
Nothing to gain. Everything to lose. No thanks.

I'm generally indifferent toward whether UA ever plays stAte....but isn't every game against a Sun Belt or equivalent a much to lose, little to gain proposition?  I definitely agree that there is no need or value to UA for an ongoing series....but playing them once a decade wouldn't bother me.

latrops

Quote from: (notOM)Rebel123 on December 13, 2013, 10:30:11 pm
Keep in mind that many on HV don't realize that there is a difference between
"I could care less" and " I couldn't care less."  :)

Everyone that isn't anal interprets them to mean the same thing without getting their panties bunched.

(notOM)Rebel123

Quote from: latrops on December 14, 2013, 07:45:08 am
Everyone that isn't anal interprets them to mean the same thing without getting their panties bunched.

Speaking of being anal....geez. Lighten up, man.
"Knowledge is Good"....Emil Faber

(notOM)Rebel123

Quote from: Texman on December 14, 2013, 07:39:41 am
Remind me what ULM brings to the table?

ULM isn't competing against the UofA for fan support.

MuskogeeHogFan

Go Hogs Go!

Wild Bill Hog

Quote from: BOAR_N2BWILD on December 12, 2013, 09:12:08 pm
oh wow that is a novel idea.

Wonder why no one ever thought of it before.

Dillar Dog

Quote from: latrops on December 14, 2013, 07:45:08 am

Sorry, man.  I speak and understand English.  I wasn't sure if he meant people care or, you know......             the opposite.

Could and could not are not the same.  So you can understand my confusion.

latrops

Quote from: Dillar Dog on December 14, 2013, 07:56:33 am
Sorry, man.  I speak and understand English.  I wasn't sure if he meant people care or, you know......             the opposite.

Could and could not are not the same.  So you can understand my confusion.

Here you go, you have earned it.

(notOM)Rebel123

Quote from: latrops on December 14, 2013, 08:20:09 am

"Have" earned it...."haven't" earned it....it's all the same. Right?  ;)

Dillar Dog

Quote from: latrops on December 14, 2013, 08:20:09 am

Thanks.

Spread the word that could and could not are different.  With your help, we can make people easier to understand!

latrops

Quote from: Dillar Dog on December 14, 2013, 08:31:00 am
Thanks.

Spread the word that could and could not are different.  With your help, we can make people easier to understand!

You are now and always were correct, but I could care less.....not much less, though.

Hogfaniam

Quote from: gostAte on December 13, 2013, 09:17:50 pm
This has got to be the most debated game that's never been played. I can't make up my mind if it's funny or sad.

This would make a great Tshirt.
"My dog Sam eats purple flowers"

Seminole Indian

Quote from: ricepig on December 14, 2013, 07:25:29 am

Great, let's drop the subject then, nobody wants to play.
Think Razorback fans bring it up here, so just  drop it. ASU simply does not need a game against the Razorbacks, to grow their program.

If the UofA wants to schedule and in-state team IMO UCA would be a good choice, and a better fit.
"In truth, knowledge is a great and very useful quality; those who despise it give evidence enough of their stupidity. Yet I do not set its value at that extreme measure that some attribute to it." - Michel de Montaigne

Dillar Dog

Quote from: latrops on December 14, 2013, 08:34:18 am
You are now and always were correct, but I could care less.....not much less, though.

Lol! 

This guy.....        he gets it.

(notOM)Rebel123

KaysFieldTouchdown

Let me first say, it doesn't matter to me if this game ever happens. But, for perspective I noticed the other day that Michigan and Appalachian State are scheduled to play again next year. If you'll remember App State embarrassed the Wolverines at home a few years ago. I thought it was a testament to the character of the Michigan program to schedule them again. I think that attitude makes sports better.

MuskogeeHogFan

Quote from: KaysFieldTouchdown on December 14, 2013, 10:12:16 am
Let me first say, it doesn't matter to me if this game ever happens. But, for perspective I noticed the other day that Michigan and Appalachian State are scheduled to play again next year. If you'll remember App State embarrassed the Wolverines at home a few years ago. I thought it was a testament to the character of the Michigan program to schedule them again. I think that attitude makes sports better.

Let's keep in mind that they are out of state schools. A loss or win by either doesn't in any way potentially effect in-state recruiting for either team. Not exactly the same as Arkansas vs. Arkansas State.
Go Hogs Go!

(notOM)Rebel123

Quote from: KaysFieldTouchdown on December 14, 2013, 10:12:16 am

FWIW... Appalachian State joins the Sun Belt next year.

KaysFieldTouchdown

Quote from: MuskogeeHogFan on December 14, 2013, 10:14:56 am
Let's keep in mind that they are out of state schools. A loss or win by either doesn't in any way potentially effect in-state recruiting for either team. Not exactly the same as Arkansas vs. Arkansas State.

Really? How many kids are going to turn down an SEC offer for an SBC offer?

None.

KaysFieldTouchdown

Quote from: (notOM)Rebel123 on December 14, 2013, 10:17:07 am

You are correct. Glad to have them.

(notOM)Rebel123

Quote from: KaysFieldTouchdown on December 14, 2013, 10:18:08 am
You are correct. Glad to have them.
They'll be a nice addition. Good program.

KaysFieldTouchdown

Quote from: (notOM)Rebel123 on December 14, 2013, 10:19:12 am

Out of the FCS move ups I think the SBC did pretty good compared to the MAC & CUSA.

MAC added UMASS
CUSA added UNCC, ODU, UTSA
SBC added Georgia Southern & App State

Seminole Indian

Quote from: (notOM)Rebel123 on December 14, 2013, 10:19:12 am
So will Ga. Southern, and did they not embarrass Florida this past year.

"In truth, knowledge is a great and very useful quality; those who despise it give evidence enough of their stupidity. Yet I do not set its value at that extreme measure that some attribute to it." - Michel de Montaigne

Inhogswetrust

Quote from: (notOM)Rebel123 on December 14, 2013, 10:17:07 am

Unbelievable they forced Jerry Moore out as coach after all the success he had there. I'm not sure why they did that.
If I'm going to cheer players and coaches in victory, I damn sure ought to be man enough to stand with them in defeat.

"Why some people are so drawn to the irrational is something that has always puzzled me" - James Randi

ricepig

Quote from: Seminole Indian on December 14, 2013, 08:52:52 am
Think Razorback fans bring it up here, so just  drop it. ASU simply does not need a game against the Razorbacks, to grow their program.

If the UofA wants to schedule and in-state team IMO UCA would be a good choice, and a better fit.

Thanks, I can't figure out why you aren't an AD somewhere, what with your grasp on the college football world. I'll tell Jeff next time I see him that you recommend we schedule UCA.

KaysFieldTouchdown

Quote from: ricepig on December 14, 2013, 10:31:03 am
Thanks, I can't figure out why you aren't an AD somewhere, what with your grasp on the college football world.

Pretty sure that sarcastic remark could apply to most of us that post on college message boards.

ricepig

Quote from: KaysFieldTouchdown on December 14, 2013, 10:35:45 am
Pretty sure that sarcastic remark could apply to most of us that post on college message boards.

Pretty sure someold Indian doesn't know anything about it either.

passinghog

If we ever play them, it should be in Fayetteville and never anywhere else. Take it or leave it.

KaysFieldTouchdown

Quote from: Showtimehog on December 14, 2013, 10:51:53 am
If we ever play them, it should be in Fayetteville and never anywhere else. Take it or leave it.

No need to worry over the venue. It'll never happen. Public education is apparently a business now with market share, etc. that must be protected.

Albert Einswine

I weary of the "it keeps the money in the state" position, it's such a void of logic.
"Funny thing, I become a hell of a good fisherman when the trout decide to commit suicide." ~ John D. Voelker

Dropkick

Quote from: KaysFieldTouchdown on December 14, 2013, 11:09:28 am
No need to worry over the venue. It'll never happen. Public education is apparently a business now with market share, etc. that must be protected.
I used to think it would never happen too. Not as sure now that ASU has stepped up their commitment to being competitive in FB and are at least successful at their level. It could happen if their rise continues.

KaysFieldTouchdown

Quote from: Albert Einswine on December 14, 2013, 11:26:18 am
I weary of the "it keeps the money in the state" position, it's such a void of logic.

Almost as bad as, "nothing to gain, everything to lose."

Seminole Indian

Quote from: ricepig on December 14, 2013, 10:31:03 am
Thanks, I can't figure out why you aren't an AD somewhere, what with your grasp on the college football world. I'll tell Jeff next time I see him that you recommend we schedule UCA.
Rally don't like athletics, but love college football, and have ended up getting to know a lot of coaches and their families  (which is probably why I love college football)because they passed through Jonesboro.  Lots of very successful coaches have passed through here, and were for the most part regular folks.

Well Ray Perkins was a different kind of cat,but we got along fine.  A former UofA track athlete, and myself were actually baby sitting three of his recruits at the Convo when he called and told us ASU was not going to make him AD (something he told us they had promised), and he was taking a job as OC for one of his former assistants. Wanted us to tell the recruits. We did not, we got up and left.

I depend on you guys here to keep me in the loop on what's happening in the college football world as far as the Hawgs.

I just happen to know more than most of you about ASU, that's all.

Wild Bill Hog

Quote from: sevenof400 on December 14, 2013, 11:21:04 am
Because it keeps Arkansas taxpayer money within the state borders.

Not really since taxes paid by Arkansans aren't used by the U of A athletic program.

Poop Hoggy Hogg

miami and mizzou will be playing in Jonesboro, but the hogs are too good to play up there?

DEVIL DOG HOG

The amount of sales of clothing apparel will huge. Some of the sayings will get down right dirty.  From Michigan "Woody is a pecker".  From Michigan State " At least we didn't lose to Appalachian State". The list goes on.

As far as playing ASU I really don't care one way or the other.  We could it as the first game of the year.
"I love college football. It's the time of the year you can walk down the street with a girl on one arm and a blanket on the other, and nobody thinks twice about it." DUFFY DAUGHERTY

GO GREEN!

ricepig

Quote from: Poop Hoggy Hogg on December 14, 2013, 11:48:28 am
miami and mizzou will be playing in Jonesboro, but the hogs are too good to play up there?

When they show up, let me know.

Wild Bill Hog

Notre Dame plays NCAA hockey and Duke plays NCAA lacrosse, but the Hogs are too good to play those sports?

KaysFieldTouchdown

December 14, 2013, 11:58:39 am #141 Last Edit: December 14, 2013, 12:10:17 pm by KaysFieldTouchdown
Quote from: Wild Bill Hog on December 14, 2013, 11:47:07 am
Not really since taxes paid by Arkansans aren't used by the U of A athletic program.

Not exactly

In the history of the UA athletic department lots of tax dollars have been spent on Arkansas athletics. Your facilities sit on public land. And, then theres this:

http://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/college/2013/05/07/ncaa-finances-subsidies/2142443/

Looks like the UA athletic department took around a $2,000,000 subsidy in 2011 & 2012. 

ricepig

Quote from: KaysFieldTouchdown on December 14, 2013, 11:58:39 am
Not exactly

In the history of the UA athletic department lots of tax dollars have been spent on Arkansas athletics. Your facilities sit on public land. And, then theres this:

http://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/college/2013/05/07/ncaa-finances-subsidies/2142443/

Oh, it's like the report that said ASU received like $50,000 in donations, a secretary made a mistake, I know that's what I read on your board.

Wild Bill Hog

Quote from: KaysFieldTouchdown on December 14, 2013, 11:58:39 am
Not exactly

For these calculations, if an athletic department does not pay rent for the athletic facilities, an imputed amount is "calculated" and classified as a subsidy from the university even though no actual money is transferred to the athletic department.  Since the U of A athletic facilities and operating expenses are all paid for by the athletic department revenues, no rental, etc. money is paid to the University.  The fact is that U of A athletics donate money to the school.

KaysFieldTouchdown

Quote from: Wild Bill Hog on December 14, 2013, 12:09:05 pm
For these calculations, if an athletic department does not pay rent for the athletic facilities, an imputed amount is "calculated" and classified as a subsidy from the university even though no actual money is transferred to the athletic department.  Since the U of A athletic facilities and operating expenses are all paid for by the athletic department revenues, no rental, etc. money is paid to the University.  The fact is that U of A athletics donate money to the school.

I didn't read that in the article. Seems incredibly misleading if true. So has the athletic department been tax free since its inception?

DEVIL DOG HOG

I see where Idaho and New Mexico State will be back in the Sun Belt for football only.
"I love college football. It's the time of the year you can walk down the street with a girl on one arm and a blanket on the other, and nobody thinks twice about it." DUFFY DAUGHERTY

GO GREEN!

Wild Bill Hog

Quote from: KaysFieldTouchdown on December 14, 2013, 12:14:29 pm
I didn't read that in the article. So has the athletic department has been tax free since its inception?

I don't know.  I'm old, but not that old.  I was simply responding to a poster who said we are currently sending Arkansas tax money to other states.

KaysFieldTouchdown

Quote from: Wild Bill Hog on December 14, 2013, 12:17:28 pm
I don't know.  I'm old, but not that old.  I was simply responding to a poster who said we are currently sending Arkansas tax money to other states.

Gotcha, my bad. I thought you were trying to say the UA has never accepted a dime of tax payer funding for athletics. Which is not true and is usually intended as a slam on ASU who ilke 95% of D1 athletic departments do so according to state law.

Dillar Dog

Unfortunately, these days, not good enough.

reddogjcss

I know there's nothing to gain for the hogs!!! I do think ASU has everything to gain! One thing I've give great thought to is the fact that if Razorbacks lose the lose big time so with that they have something to gain! That's one game we don't want to lose no matter what the circumstance! So that in itself would give us something to gain. Winning a game against an opponent with nothing to lose and everything to gain! We better learn how to win regardless. That would be an improvement.