Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

'Our spirit is broken right now'

Started by jbcarol, February 15, 2017, 11:30:15 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

jbcarol

https://twitter.com/gogamecocks/status/832054781472624641

South Carolina men's basketball coach Frank Martin reacts after Wednesday's home loss to Arkansas.

Martin said he's walked out of two practices in 33 years. One was Monday. He couldn't stand what he was seeing.
Curated SEC Infotainment and aggregated college sports updates where it just means more on Hogville.net

runich

What a d-bag statement...

#1 he is placing complete blame on the players...throwing them under the bus
#2 he is giving no credit to the Hogs for winning the game...

Raymond Zorback

I hope they figure things out because they're our signature win now.  I'd hate for them to crash and burn.
You can call me Ray.

SemperHawg

1.  What the hell was that shirt he was wearing?  It looked like a Wal Mart sack.

2. To the poster above's point, everyone here should be the biggest South Carolina fan in the world for the remainder of the season.

3. This win does nothing for us if we don't handle business against a hot shooting Ole Miss team Saturday at the Bud, Get Yo Tickets and get on out and make the place loud.

Kevin

he isn't saying anything to the media, he has not already said to his players.
Submit yourselves therefore to God. Resist the devil and he will flee from you.<br />James 4:7
Reject Every Kind Of Evil 1 Thessalonians 5:22

lynbug

After that "post game" I'm sure his players are gonna be super motivated.  I know I would be.

hogwood

Walked out on practice? Thats how you lose a team right there. Run the kids out of the gym if they're sucking, not the coach.

FineAsSwine

Quote from: runich on February 15, 2017, 11:42:17 pm
What a d-bag statement...

#1 he is placing complete blame on the players...throwing them under the bus
#2 he is giving no credit to the Hogs for winning the game...

sounds like something Cal would say/do.
Hogs up! Covid down!

Letsroll1200

Slater

I'm amazed how some fans like it when a coach throws his team under the bus and detest coaches like MA that always have their players backs. Frank was notorious for this at K-State (same with Weber the guy who followed him) it wears thin after a while.
FASTEST 40 ILUVMIKE

razoredge178

Quote from: hogwood on February 16, 2017, 07:47:40 am
Walked out on practice? Thats how you lose a team right there. Run the kids out of the gym if they're sucking, not the coach.

Nolan was known to walk out of practice, and a game of too that I'm sure we all remember.

Discredit the guy all you want but he's got a hell of a roster that he built out of dirt and I bet those kids are loyal as hell to him.

DeltaBoy

I think he trying to fire his boys up !
If the South should lose, it means that the history of the heroic struggle will be written by the enemy, that our youth will be trained by Northern school teachers, will be impressed by all of the influences of history and education to regard our gallant dead as traitors and our maimed veterans as fit subjects for derision.
-- Major General Patrick Cleburne
The Confederacy had no better soldiers
than the Arkansans--fearless, brave, and oftentimes courageous beyond
prudence. Dickart History of Kershaws Brigade.

HF#1

They have lost 3 of 4. They will have a get right game soon and be alright. They are still a hell of a team.
"We are all born ignorant, but one must work hard to remain stupid."  <br /><br />Benjamin Franklin

ShadowHawg

Quote from: Kevin on February 16, 2017, 06:45:55 am
he isn't saying anything to the media, he has not already said to his players.

You can't possibly know this. You defend Frank Martin while belittling the coach of your own team on a regular basis.

What's up with that?

Atlhogfan1

Quote from: HF#1 on February 16, 2017, 08:44:18 am
They have lost 3 of 4. They will have a get right game soon and be alright. They are still a hell of a team.

I think he sees this is heading to an ending like last year if he doesn't find a way to turn it around.  Little depth and a 4OT game doesn't help.  SOS is better so they may could still limp into NCAAT even if this ends up heading south. 
Quote from: MaconBacon on March 22, 2018, 10:30:04 amWe had a good run in the 90's and one NC and now the whole state still laments that we are a top seed program and have kids standing in line to come to good ole Arkansas.  We're just a flash in the pan boys. 

Poker_hog

Quote from: HF#1 on February 16, 2017, 08:44:18 am

Yeah they are good.  The first 5mins or so it looked like they would blow us out by 30.
Sometimes wrong, but never in doubt

HF#1

Quote from: Atlhogfan1 on February 16, 2017, 08:46:32 am
I think he sees this is heading to an ending like last year if he doesn't find a way to turn it around.  Little depth and a 4OT game doesn't help.  SOS is better so they may could still limp into NCAAT even if this ends up heading south. 

Anything is possible but I think they are too good for that. They play Vandy next and unless Vandy shoots 60% like they did against us, South Carolina should win that game and get back on track.
"We are all born ignorant, but one must work hard to remain stupid."  <br /><br />Benjamin Franklin

revolution

Quote from: jbcarol on February 15, 2017, 11:30:15 pm
https://twitter.com/gogamecocks/status/832054781472624641

South Carolina men's basketball coach Frank Martin reacts after Wednesday's home loss to Arkansas.

Martin said he's walked out of two practices in 33 years. One was Monday. He couldn't stand what he was seeing.

Guys, this is serious.  I wonder if there's anything we can do. 

hogwood

Quote from: razoredge178 on February 16, 2017, 08:27:16 am
Nolan was known to walk out of practice, and a game of too that I'm sure we all remember.

Discredit the guy all you want but he's got a hell of a roster that he built out of dirt and I bet those kids are loyal as hell to him.

Not discrediting the guy. He's a good coach and I like how he's recruited his team. Just hard for me to imagine walking out of practice being effective.

Hawg Red

I think/hope they will come around and they'll bounce back big after this loss. We need them too, anyway, with this being our signature win. I think this could be like the year where we swept UK because they were in a rut and then they ended up in the Final 4. Either way, it was a great win by the Hogs and SC did not play a bad game. They just got outplayed fair and square. Dare I say Frank Martin did not have answer for Mike Anderson's coaching? Lot of debate about who is the better coach between the two going in, but Mike obviously nailed this one.

jbcarol

https://twitter.com/DCTheState/status/832247025789988864

Quote"To play the way we play, you have to play with unbelievable enthusiasm, toughness, discipline. We've done that for most of the year. We have not done that here of late," USC coach Frank Martin said. "It's unfortunate that somehow we've lost the one thing we control. Which is our mojo, our enthusiasm for what we do."

The Gamecocks are still in great shape to make the NCAA Tournament, taking an RPI of 21 into the game and losing to a team with an RPI of 48. But it was their second loss in three games, it cost them first place in the SEC and, like all losses this time of year, re-opened Pandora's box.

USC frittered away an NCAA Tournament berth last year due in part to going 3-3 to finish the regular season. Wednesday was an 0-1 start to the final six-game stretch, losing to the team that coughed up a loss to league-worst Missouri.

Martin declared that if he was still playing, this problem would be fixed tomorrow.

But he's not, and he didn't know how it could be fixed.

"It's our spirit, our mindset has not been good," he said. "We have to regain that. We have to absolutely regain that."
Curated SEC Infotainment and aggregated college sports updates where it just means more on Hogville.net

jbcarol

This is where I truthfully point out that while Wednesday's loss is disappointing and frustrating, South Carolina's season is still very much alive

Their RPI (21 before Wednesday) shouldn't drop that much for losing to an RPI of 48, even at home

Their NCAA tournament projection shouldn't change that much for losing to a team that, at least recently, was considered a bubble team

QuoteLooking at these last six games, I envisioned three scenarios: Go 6-0, they're in. Go 5-1 with the one loss at Florida, they're in. Go 5-1 with the one loss somewhere else, that means they beat Florida, they're in. And there's always the SEC tournament, which isn't impossible to win if they start with a two-game bye.

Perhaps Arkansas was the one in the 5-1.

jbcarol

https://twitter.com/Michael_Carvell/status/832995928256741376

QuoteDuane Notice had never seen South Carolina basketball coach Frank Martin walk out of a practice before.

Martin aired out the issues he saw with his team after it lost two days later to Arkansas, pointing to a lack of enthusiasm and a seemingly broken spirit.

Notice said the Gamecocks have talked at length in group texts this week, sending inspirational quotes and encouragement to each other. They also held players-only meetings in the wake of Martin's comments...

TheEnemy

1)  His job is not to make Razorback fans feel warm and fuzzy

2)  I think S.C. is starting to come unraveled and he is probably just searching for anything to create a new spark

No reason to get upset about these comments