Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

MOSES KINGSLEY production has decided 95% of our Win/Loss outcome

Started by The_Bionic_Pig, February 15, 2017, 07:47:06 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

The_Bionic_Pig

When he hits the 14-15pts we usually win.

Fast forward to next season and unless Trey Thompson Offense improves by leap's & bounds the Freshman is going to have to come in and put up double digit scoring which isn't fair
█ ▆ ▅ ▄ ▃ ▂ ▁ *Mute*

GlassofSwine

I don't think we need his points as much as his rebounding and defense. I may be wrong without checking the stats, but it seems to me that when he isn't scoring he is usually playing disinterested and not putting out much effort anywhere.

Tick Hog

Quote from: The_Bionic_Pig on February 15, 2017, 07:47:06 pm

Fast forward to next season and unless Trey Thompson Offense improves by leap's & bounds the Freshman is going to have to come in and put up double digit scoring which isn't fair
I think you're spot on about Moses. He's really been absent the 2 previous games and really the first half tonight. At one point I was screaming at the TV to just take him out. Well he made me eat those words and played a great second half and really carried the team for a bit. We desperately need that from him. Heck I'm proud and excited for the entire team and coaching staff tonight.

Youngsta71701

To me it's not just the scoring. It's the timing of the scoring and the scoring in the paint instead of settling for jumpers. When he scores in the paint it opens up the outside for Hannahs, Macon, Beard, and Barford. Not to mention Watkins is making 3 pointers now days. Although he didn't shoot any in this game. Even Thomas made a couple of outside jumpers in this game. Go figure...
"The more things change the more they stay the same"

wildturkey8

That was a big time shot he hit late in the game to put us up by 3.

dsgreen

Not that I think Thompson has played that well, but do you remember how Kingsley looked in Portis' last year?

Poker_hog

Moses points could be made up by both the 4&5.  We get almost nothing from the 4 position.
Sometimes wrong, but never in doubt

The_Iceman

Or, we will need one of our 4 first year power forwards to CONSISTENTLY pick up their production next season.

Thompson and Gafford will be great on defense and the boards next year, but neither has much offense outside of inside catch and finishes and put backs.

jm

We don't always get Moses the ball in a place where he can score. He plays better and scores more when the team passes better and he isn't constantly setting screens 25 feet from the basket.

ShadowHawg

Can you explain the why?

It won't be that same roster at all. There will be more length on the perimeter, more athleticism at G/F spots, Thompson is a better passer and Gafford is ahead of Kingsley comparing them as recruits.

So why would Gafford have to replicate Kingsley? Is it possible that they could fill the void between BOTH players?

Pork Twain

I have loved having Moses and Dusty on this team because they are game changers for us.  I am more than a little nervous about who will fill their roles next year.  As we all saw with Pel's last class/Mike's first, it is dangerous to expect every freshmen to step on campus ready to take on that kind of role.  Moses surely was not where he is today, when he stepped on campus
"It is better to be an optimist and proven wrong, than a pessimist and proven right." ~Pork Twain

https://www.facebook.com/groups/sweetmemes/

Hawg Red

Quote from: Pork Twain on February 16, 2017, 12:01:00 pm
I have loved having Moses and Dusty on this team because they are game changers for us.  I am more than a little nervous about who will fill their roles next year.

Trey Thompson has to put his big boy pants on next year, no doubt. He has to get over his fear of being a part of the offense. Gafford will not be able to pick up where Moses left off.

We will not be able to replace Dusty's shooting. Period. Not going to happen. Garland is bigger, though, and brings a lot to the table. Don't have a good feel on how quickly he'll be a serious contributor, but he's not going to come close to replacing Dusty's shooting. Pretty good at getting to the cup, though.

C.J. Jones, however, could replace some of Dusty's shooting. We have a small sample size for him, but he's shown to be a good 3-point shooter and a good athlete. We will lose a lot on defense with Manny going out as well. Our backcourt gets better next year but loses some to a lot of shooting power and we lose a lot down low unless Trey makes a big jump or Gafford is better than anticipated as a freshman.

ShadowHawg

Quote from: Hawg Red on February 16, 2017, 12:18:48 pm
Trey Thompson has to put his big boy pants on next year, no doubt. He has to get over his fear of being a part of the offense. Gafford will not be able to pick up where Moses left off.

We will not be able to replace Dusty's shooting. Period. Not going to happen. Garland is bigger, though, and brings a lot to the table. Don't have a good feel on how quickly he'll be a serious contributor, but he's not going to come close to replacing Dusty's shooting. Pretty good at getting to the cup, though.

C.J. Jones, however, could replace some of Dusty's shooting. We have a small sample size for him, but he's shown to be a good 3-point shooter and a good athlete. We will lose a lot on defense with Manny going out as well. Our backcourt gets better next year but loses some to a lot of shooting power and we lose a lot down low unless Trey makes a big jump or Gafford is better than anticipated as a freshman.

I don't believe we replace those guys offensively, but I think that familiarity with the program from the frosh/Jucos this season coupled with guys better suited to defend will cover the gap.

It will be a completely different team.

Cmheinley

I've been very critical of Moses. He is either great or completely unproductive in almost every aspect. Last night was exceptional. No way we win that game without him. That being said, he's a huge part of why we take on such a Jekyll and Hyde appearance so often. I just hope he can consistently replicate half of what he did last night from here on out.

phadedhawg

It was nice seeing Moses be Moses again.  He was huge for us last night.