Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

How Long Will it Take Mike to Switch to the Zone Tonight?

Started by bosshog84, February 15, 2017, 04:32:25 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

bosshog84

That was the key adjustment made in Saturday's game and I believe is the key to tonight's game. How long will it be before Mike goes to the zone we played against LSU? If we come out playing that zone defense, I think we have a good chance coming out of Columbia with a W. If we play the same trapping defense in the half court and create mismatches for their guards & big men, Thornwell & company will scorch us and it will be a long night. The zone lets Kingsley play where he is supposed to be at all times... protecting the rim and not out guarding the point guard after a switch. That eliminates the mismatches and also puts him in better position to rebound the opponent's missed shots. I think the game comes down to this.

jst01

Possibly. I have a feeling the game will come down to if we can score enough. Not sure we can keep up with them, zone or no zone.

rude1

porkinsons disease

This hiding behind he has a great recruiting classcoming in crap is just another excuse for this man. you could give this man M. Johnson and Larry Bird togather and he still would not win. he is a pitiful coach who can,t coach a lick.-fcj 1/22/2011

HF#1

Depends on how easily SC is able to score when we play man to man.
"We are all born ignorant, but one must work hard to remain stupid."  <br /><br />Benjamin Franklin

hogsanity

Been my question since Sat, how long will Mike's ego allow him to play zone?
People ask me what I do in winter when there is no baseball.  I will tell you what I do. I stare out the window, and I wait for spring.

"Anything goes wrong, anything at all, your fault, my fault, nobodies fault, I'm going to blow your head off."  John Wayne in BIG JAKE

bosshog84

Quote from: HF#1 on February 15, 2017, 04:39:41 pm
Depends on how easily SC is able to score when we play man to man.

You would think after how we played the 2nd half of the LSU game, Mike would come out this game in the same zone from the beginning. Make your opponent adjust to it before you change back to man.

nwahogfan1

Quote from: bosshog84 on February 15, 2017, 04:32:25 pm
That was the key adjustment made in Saturday's game and I believe is the key to tonight's game. How long will it be before Mike goes to the zone we played against LSU? If we come out playing that zone defense, I think we have a good chance coming out of Columbia with a W. If we play the same trapping defense in the half court and create mismatches for their guards & big men, Thornwell & company will scorch us and it will be a long night. The zone lets Kingsley play where he is supposed to be at all times... protecting the rim and not out guarding the point guard after a switch. That eliminates the mismatches and also puts him in better position to rebound the opponent's missed shots. I think the game comes down to this.

U are right. Our man defense is not good but we must keep the ball out of the low post and rebound when playing zone or it will be a long night.

upperdeck_hawg

Quote from: bosshog84 on February 15, 2017, 04:32:25 pm

Good call. If I were Mike Anderson, I would spend a week with Jim Boheim and "perfect" the zone. It seems to help us with keeping us from fouling so much, also helps keep guys driving past our matador man defense and as crazy as it sounds, it helps us rebound.
I don't hate the guy.  He's a great Hog, and a needed contributor.  I despise that he does not understand his role as a complimentary player puts an absolute ceiling on this team.

-ErieHog on Devo Davis

PonderinHog

Quote from: upperdeck_hawg on February 15, 2017, 07:36:53 pm
Good call. If I were Mike Anderson, I would spend a week with Jim Boheim and "perfect" the zone. It seems to help us with keeping us from fouling so much, also helps keep guys driving past our matador man defense and as crazy as it sounds, it helps us rebound.
Because our bigs stay home?

bosshog84

Thank you Mike for not waiting until it was too late! This zone defense may save Mike Anderson's job! That and Manny's rediculous shot! 😬

mike_the_geek

So we were down by 14 early in the first, then went on a huge run and never looked back.  I didn't get to see the first half, but is that when we switched to zone?    Wonder how we would do if we started in a zone.  The way this team plays like tonight and I feel like we could beat anybody.  But then other nights like at Mizzou I get the totally opposite feeling.  Ah the joys of being a hog bball fan!

DCHawg

rude1

Quote from: DCHawg on February 15, 2017, 10:54:16 pm
Good call.
6 points off so sue me. This silliness is why after the next loss, the bees will come out in droves.

Youngsta71701

Quote from: rude1 on February 15, 2017, 10:58:12 pm
6 points off so sue me. This silliness is why after the next loss, the bees will come out in droves.
I think they were trying to give you some credit. I may be wrong though. You know, this is hogville... :-\
"The more things change the more they stay the same"